WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Quitting smoking take 326.. Life Changes

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Thinking about it even my doctor gives me ultimatums. I have a permanent script for norcos. Bad knees, shoulders, crohns, etc... once a year I have to drug test. If there is any alcohol or any other narcotic in my system he will pull the script. That’s an ultimatum to not drink or do drugs or I won’t get my script. Just thought about that because I just got an email to swing by the lab Monday after work.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Point blank...you weren’t ready to quit...when you are honestly ready within yourself it will happen. Good luck RD.
I think that’s why ultimatums work for me. In all honesty I was never ready to quit. Even right now I’d love to crack open a beer, hit the bong, and put up Christmas lights. Like I’ve said though I don’t live my life for me anymore. It’s like little guys fighting in the room next door. That’s why I don’t like people saying well it was a bad time. There’s no better time than right now. So I wasn’t ready to quit it was give that up or else basically. Easy to poke fun at it, but which results do you want

HotRod82

Reaction score
I think that’s why ultimatums work for me. In all honesty I was never ready to quit. Even right now I’d love to crack open a beer, hit the bong, and put up Christmas lights. Like I’ve said though I don’t live my life for me anymore. It’s like little guys fighting in the room next door. That’s why I don’t like people saying well it was a bad time. There’s no better time than right now. So I wasn’t ready to quit it was give that up or else basically. Easy to poke fun at it, but which results do you want

Very well said.....what results do you want? Coming from an entire family full of addicts ( my brother died of a heroin OD just over a year ago) I have seen every gimmick, every program, every excuse about quitting one drug or another. It comes down to will power and personal choices. The thing is RD, you can do this...it isn't impossible. Totally possible, it's all up to you. Good luck man.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
There must have been good reason why you made the appointment and went to Vegas last week or you would not have gone.When that reason becomes important enough you will quit.If that doctors prescription is as good as they say,when your ready,might be the way to go.Cutting back as much as possible now could help when you decide the time has come to totally quit.Thousands of people try everything with no success,do not feel bad.Besides,most of us will need live to 90 to experience the activity of life you have lived already at 40. :)

wzuber

Reaction score
Now that's a call out. Fuck me
I think that's the new gansta tough love I've read about. haha
call it a hunch, but I think floatin may get cut from daves christmas card list this year. lol
He (Dave) looked pretty chill at hanger 24 sat afternoon in his red t shirt and all. Still appeared to have all his fingers, nails etc, the wife and kids looked UN-abused so all appeared to be well.

Last edited:

Heylam

Reaction score
I think that's the new gansta tough love I've read about. haha
call it a hunch, but I think floatin may get cut from daves christmas card list this year. lol
He looked pretty chill at hanger 24 sat afternoon in his red t shirt and all. Still appeared to have all his fingers, nails etc, the wife and kids looked UN-abused so all appeared to be well.

Are you sure that wasn’t just a nicotine stained white t shirt? [emoji848][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitch6601

HMFIC
Reaction score
Dave - With all the respect in the world - its time for you to lick the ashtray. Wont hurt you - probably make you sick to your stomach for a while, you may gag, throw up, cuss me out, whatever (please don't ban me :) ) but you will never forget that taste and cigarettes taste different afterwards as in cigarettes taste like that ashtray and you wont want to do that again. Cant hurt to try it out and wont cost you a dime. I still recommend you go to the following two appointments after said ashtray licking :)

Now go back and just reread the bolded parts and repeat them over and over until you have done it.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Honestly Dave...I have held back from responding...I'm an ex smoker now for about 12 years. I quit many many many times..and each time I told the world in hopes it would help me keep the strength it took to make it...but when I did quit, it was very personal to me...Private I guess is what I'm saying. In fact after disappointing my loved ones time and time again..they were sick of my battle. They were sick of my LOSING. I made my decision one night on the way home from work..Parked the truck in the garage and DESTROYED my pack of coffin nails and never looked back...but I didn't tell a soul that I did it. Took two weeks for the wife to figure it out (did'nt smoke in front of her)...and by then I was well on my way. I kept MYSELF accountable...you might want to be less public with it..JM thoughts..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thinking about it even my doctor gives me ultimatums. I have a permanent script for norcos. Bad knees, shoulders, crohns, etc... once a year I have to drug test. If there is any alcohol or any other narcotic in my system he will pull the script. That’s an ultimatum to not drink or do drugs or I won’t get my script. Just thought about that because I just got an email to swing by the lab Monday after work.

I'm not poking fun Vic, I'm just saying maybe different people think differently.. If that's what works for you then more power to ya! I can tell you flat that kind of thought process isn't gonna work for me.

RD

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I'm not poking fun Vic, I'm just saying maybe different people think differently.. If that's what works for you then more power to ya! I can tell you flat that kind of thought process isn't gonna work for me.

RD
For me it’s the consequences. If there no consequences I really don’t give a fuck. The consequences are what make me think twice

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Haha with all the Rah Rah You Can do it Bullshit.. You are a weak minded pussy. You have no self control. Accept that fact. Keep smoking. See how that works out for you

So there's that.. LOL

Honestly Dave...I have held back from responding...I'm an ex smoker now for about 12 years. I quit many many many times..and each time I told the world in hopes it would help me keep the strength it took to make it...but when I did quit, it was very personal to me...Private I guess is what I'm saying. In fact after disappointing my loved ones time and time again..they were sick of my battle. They were sick of my LOSING. I made my decision one night on the way home from work..Parked the truck in the garage and DESTROYED my pack of coffin nails and never looked back...but I didn't tell a soul that I did it. Took two weeks for the wife to figure it out (did'nt smoke in front of her)...and by then I was well on my way. I kept MYSELF accountable...you might want to be less public with it..JM thoughts..

Honestly RCL, that was part of the reason I posted the thread was to add more accountability to it as well as share the experience with other people that are trying to do the same. If you read back in the first post I'm sure you can relate.. When you do break down and light one up, you get that overwhelming feeling of failure, which (not to sound too arrogant) isn't something I experience a whole lot in my life and I dislike it. The stories in the thread both successful / unsuccesful etc.. have given me a lot to think about with regard to different methods, and thought processes behind them. I was hoping that I'd walk in and walk out and be one of those little miracles you always hear about..

I can say for a couple of days there I honestly thought "this is it! I'm finally free of these fuckers!!" On day 3 I woke up and I could already tell.. I was staring at anything red I could find and it wasn't doing shit for it.. LOL By the afternoon when everyone was at the house for T-Day I was losing my mind and going down hill fast.. Add in a couple of smokers to that program (easy access at the house) and I folded like laundry.

On a more positive note the hypnotist called me this morning and asked how I was doing. I was honest with her and told her that as she called I was basically unwrapping a pack of cigarettes. She didn't skip a beat and said she was afraid of that, and we talked about the session a bit and subconscious etc and more to the point my session that I had already done. She is still confident that I'll be a non smoker after my next visit. Honestly my hopes are still very high in the process and if she can do the same thing she did before but make it last like 2 weeks I think I'd be good.

RD

MSum661

Reaction score
Damn...what a pain in the ass it must be to quit something that's trying to kill your ass.
Never smoked so I don't understand, but I'll say it, I feel sorry for anyone trying to fight off that Demon.
Hope you do win the War!

sml

Reaction score

rrrr

Reaction score

I started planning to quit six months before the actual date. Didn't tell anyone, not even my wife, that New Year's day was it. I spent those six months convincing myself I was gonna die a horrible and disgusting death if I didn't quit.

It worked for me. But, everyone is different.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
IMHO RD I could see your tall tell on this goal your are trying to address in the lifestyle/inviroment that you live in...it’s gotta be tough to get through this but as stated prior we’re all pulling for you to make up your mind. There is no other way...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
IMHO RD I could see your tall tell on this goal your are trying to address in the lifestyle/inviroment that you live in...it’s gotta be tough to get through this but as stated prior we’re all pulling for you when the time comes for you to make up your mind. There is no other way...

I'll get it worked out.. Just gotta push through.

RD

Singleton

Reaction score
Figure something out Dave that works for you.
Ton of people pulling for you.
The other options does not end well.

buck35

Reaction score
You know Dave, just bringing this up has me thinking of a new plan and they're has been plenty of great ideas in here. I trust you will find a way to stop and myself as well.
Good luck!

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
One Step At A Time. Unfortunately, good things don’t happen overnight, focus on what's right in front of you, when you remain focused on the journey and the progress that you are making, it will make the world of a difference when it comes to completing your goal.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
So there's that.. LOL

Honestly RCL, that was part of the reason I posted the thread was to add more accountability to it as well as share the experience with other people that are trying to do the same. If you read back in the first post I'm sure you can relate.. When you do break down and light one up, you get that overwhelming feeling of failure, which (not to sound too arrogant) isn't something I experience a whole lot in my life and I dislike it. The stories in the thread both successful / unsuccesful etc.. have given me a lot to think about with regard to different methods, and thought processes behind them. I was hoping that I'd walk in and walk out and be one of those little miracles you always hear about..

I can say for a couple of days there I honestly thought "this is it! I'm finally free of these fuckers!!" On day 3 I woke up and I could already tell.. I was staring at anything red I could find and it wasn't doing shit for it.. LOL By the afternoon when everyone was at the house for T-Day I was losing my mind and going down hill fast.. Add in a couple of smokers to that program (easy access at the house) and I folded like laundry.

On a more positive note the hypnotist called me this morning and asked how I was doing. I was honest with her and told her that as she called I was basically unwrapping a pack of cigarettes. She didn't skip a beat and said she was afraid of that, and we talked about the session a bit and subconscious etc and more to the point my session that I had already done. She is still confident that I'll be a non smoker after my next visit. Honestly my hopes are still very high in the process and if she can do the same thing she did before but make it last like 2 weeks I think I'd be good.

RD

You write the word "hope". You need to be writing "want". IMO, you really dont want to quit or are not ready to quit. You wouldn't find yourself mentioning hope... Focus on a reason to quit that would make you want to drop the cigs for good.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
OK...here are some tips I used. I quit coffee for six weeks...I drove a different route to work each day..(I rotated them). I quit alcohol for about a month. I avoided normal joints..places I smoked..certain bars..You need to change the landscape up. It's amazing what a month to six weeks of change will do..

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Haven't been on here for a while and only skimmed through this thread. Quitting smoking is a son of a bitch.

I smoked for 13 years. Drinking and smoking went together like peanut butter and jelly, ham and cheese, etc. I tried to quit a few times, although unsuccessful.

One year about 10 years ago, we were in Big Bear for Oktoberfest. I was smoking like a chimney. Out of the blue, I finished my cigarette and said "well, that's it ... I'm done, I quit". People thought I was bullshitting, but the power of the mind is something else ... almost like self-hypnosis.

A guy I used to work with would put all of us to shame the way he smoked. He would come in and speak to us, wreaking of cigarette smoke. I hated that smell. He eventually retired and moved to Florida where he lived for another year before dying from a heart attack.

I've said it before Dave ... if you really want to quit, you can. Power of the mind is incredible. Good luck, I'm personally pulling for you.

wzuber

Reaction score
Are you sure that wasn’t just a nicotine stained white t shirt? [emoji848][emoji4]

I guess it could have been, it was a little dingy looking and had some brownish streak type stains on it. I just chalked it up to them having been off-roading. :p

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm with ya on there always being a reason.. Especially living out here and in this line of work.

RD
Total BULLSHIT.
No such thing as a "reason"....its just a lame fucking excuse.
Blaming your line of work is even lamer. :rolleyes: Boating lifestyle is your passion.
Try working as a leo with some druggie pointing a pistol at you, that sounds like low stress compared to your current position.o_O:rolleyes::mad:
Quit blaming your surroundings and look in the mirror for fault.
I really have high hopes that you'll succeed. Go re-flash your harddrive(aka brain) and get rid of those glitches still living in your head.
Trust me, you'll be 1000 times more proud of yourself if you can painfully overcome an obstacle instead of giving in and having to start over.
And again, just do it and stop posting about it....let your loving wife and friends boast about your successes. :cool:

JD D05

Reaction score
Total BULLSHIT.
No such thing as a "reason"....its just a lame fucking excuse.
Blaming your line of work is even lamer. :rolleyes: Boating lifestyle is your passion.
Try working as a leo with some druggie pointing a pistol at you, that sounds like low stress compared to your current position.o_O:rolleyes::mad:
Quit blaming your surroundings and look in the mirror for fault.
I really have high hopes that you'll succeed. Go re-flash your harddrive(aka brain) and get rid of those glitches still living in your head.
Trust me, you'll be 1000 times more proud of yourself if you can painfully overcome an obstacle instead of giving in and having to start over.
And again, just do it and stop posting about it....let your loving wife and friends boast about your successes. :cool:

Fuck YA!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, I believe all people are different. Although I do think the, "kick to the balls" may work, about the third day you're going to spark up Soprano style, with a bat in your hand. I have tried, and failed (miserably) to quit dipping. I don't do it around my family, but damn, I spend 80% of my time alone. In my head I tell myself that at least I don't drink hardly at all now.(I literally had a 30 pack last from January to this week, at my river place. 1 bottle of Jack a year at my house here...both used to be an average Saturday.) I want to be around for my kids...they have no grandparents. Lost all of them already. So, this thread has given me some ideas. I'm leaning towards also doing a "swear jar" inspired thing to start. Every time I want a dip, dollar in. For a can I buy, same $ in. I figure I may go broke, but then I can't buy any either. Stress sucks, kills motivation for things you actually want. Finding the proper motivation is tough though. After years of anything, quitting is tough.

As for results or excuses...you can have both, excuses for poor results. My results have been poor because I keep F'ing up. Not so much an excuse, but fact in my case.

wayniac

Reaction score
Dave, being new around here, Im not sure if your a reader, but this book has helped a lot of people.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155

I have never smoked, but I started drinking in JR High and had one hell of a run. I would have put my consumption up against about anyone. I had tried to stop drinking multiple times, and actually went 1 whole year once. 2 years ago, I read a book, and she credited Allen Carr for a lot of it.
https://www.amazon.com/This-Naked-M...qid=1543354479&sr=1-1&keywords=the+naked+mind

It changed the way I look at things, and I now drink as much as i want, which is none. It took a lot of the pressure off if i should or shouldn't drink especially at places like the river. I have tasted drinks, and made drinks for people, but no longer have that urge. Im now a great sober passenger or backup boat driver. Im always curious how many people are sober when they go to back down a boat trailer.

Id guess, that it wouldnt be anything you havent heard before, but might be worth a look. It seems in the tone of you messages in this thread your want to quit is sincere. You have all of the tools to quit. I hope you decide to use them.

BingerFang

Reaction score
So there's that.. LOL

RD

Your hypnotist seems like she's a great salesman..... Best of luck to you.

Heylam

Reaction score
I can’t think of a much more selfish thing than smoking if you have a wife and children. You owe it to them to provide for them and be there for them as long as possible. Your priorities are all fucked up if you can’t see that and nut up and quit.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I have an idea, why not go camping for a week or so, don't bring any booze or smokes and just relax in nature. If you don't have any thing too smoke, you can't smoke. I would think that a week would be enough too get over the nicotine withdrawals ( I have no clue, just guessing)

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I'm gonna say this,... over 30 years ago, I quit smoking, and drinking...and here's what happened..I had no tolerance for cig smoke at all...my sense of smell was off the hook....I couldn't be any where near where someone was smoking...horrible...we used to go to the santa fe casino to eat breakfast and i'd have to hold my breath to get through the smoking section to get to the restaurant... but I'm also gonna say this..I never ever got over the urge to light up...I think once you smoke, that never really goes away...So,.. I raised my sons and they moved out...started back drinking rum and coke now and then...which turned in to drinking a lot of rum and coke... which turned into hanging at bars and being around smokers.. which turned into smoking while I was drinking, which turned into smoking all the time again.... gotta say this... I enjoy it... cut out the rum and coke and went to moderate beer drinking... some days none,... some days a couple..I've drank till drunk a few times with beer... but most of the time I cut it short to not waist the next day....nothing gets done when you are hung over,... and the over buzz of drunk is not worth the hang over..so there I am... right back where I started..I used to be that guy...I could easy not drink the first beer,... but once I started... it was on... some times it was for days..drink till drunk, party like a rock star... then keep going … many of times I was late for work because I'd walk out the bar and the sun was up... vegas baby... it never stops..so what i'm gonna say... to quit smoking.... you have to quit drinking....quiting smoking takes will power,... and you loose that when you drink..one the the hardest things to change is how to have fun when you don't drink... fuc'n borring..but, when you get over that hump you find out that you remember what you did...life is a lot more fun that way.. nowing that you have the freedom to go do what ever you want and not get arrested for DUI...yeah, you get to be the one that hauls all the drunk fucs home,.. and get up in the morning to go get their car...

so where i'm at now,... even though I like smoking... there's no where to do it..not in the car, not in the house,not in the restaurant, not in the bar, in cal, not even out side.....so, if there's a will.... there's away....lol..in vegas..you can eat a steak and eggs breakfast, drink a beer,smoke a cig...and play video poker..lol… you guessed it..now add gambling to the pot...

so what I did.... I started the JUUL vape...pretty much you can smoke them anywhere...they don't do the cheech and chong big plume of smoke...but they do have nicotine..I found this, I don't drink as much,..I don't cough as much,.. and I don't gamble as much.. So is it good??? I would say not.... but it is a betterment

Im in the same boat, I quit drinking about a 6 weeks ago. Didnt need to, didnt have a drinking problem per se, just got tired of wasting precious days of life feeling like shit. What I am dealing with now is what you mentioned, I feel like I am no fun to hang around with now, everything my friends do involves some aspect of drinking, boating, off roading, hanging out, dinner, there is always alcohol involved. I am not sure why I stopped, just felt like I needed a challenge, but now that its been a few weeks Im now dealing with all of the side issues. Its like you just want to stay home an avoid the awkwardness of being the one guy at the group get together not drinking. Its bizarre stuff. Havasu is a very hard town to not drink in, being home and at work is fine, no issues there, spend a weekend in Havasu and everyone is fucked up.

hallett21

Reaction score
Im in the same boat, I quit drinking about a 6 weeks ago. Didnt need to, didnt have a drinking problem per se, just got tired of wasting precious days of life feeling like shit. What I am dealing with now is what you mentioned, I feel like I am no fun to hang around with now, everything my friends do involves some aspect of drinking, boating, off roading, hanging out, dinner, there is always alcohol involved. I am not sure why I stopped, just felt like I needed a challenge, but now that its been a few weeks Im now dealing with all of the side issues. Its like you just want to stay home an avoid the awkwardness of being the one guy at the group get together not drinking. Its bizarre stuff. Havasu is a very hard town to not drink in, being home and at work is fine, no issues there, spend a weekend in Havasu and everyone is fucked up.

Odouls?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Pretty much.. and it’s a rewind to the 80’s where 50% of the people are smoking all the time as well. Lol.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Then ya should learn how to read Vic.. it’s a tag line not an ultimatum. Lol. Where is the “or else?”

The or else is you ain’t never quitin

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
16k views.

click·bait
/ˈklikbāt/
noun
informal
noun: clickbait; noun: click bait
  1. (on the Internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page

In all seriousness. Do it for the KIDS!

wzuber

Reaction score
16k views.

click·bait
/ˈklikbāt/
noun
informal
noun: clickbait; noun: click bait
  1. (on the Internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page
so another acronym for this would be @grads then???.....got it.

In all seriousness. Do it for the KIDS!

nameisbond

Reaction score
I want to quit now. I started at eleven, older brother was a bad influence. Back in 1984 when I started smoking was everywhere and it was easy for a kid to get cigarettes. These days not many smokers around here. My main reason is having a kidney infection confirmed by cat scan. On the follow up with my doctor, he says they may have seen a spot on the right kidney. So yesterday I had an ultrasound looking for a potential tumor. This has me scared, as I don't want kidney cancer or cancer of any kind. Its easier to quit over doing ultrasounds with the worry they'll find something. Then the worry while waiting for the doctor to call with results. Id rather have nicotine withdrawals over worrying about cancer and dying! I'm going to vape again and then quit all together.

wzuber

Reaction score
I want to quit now. I started at eleven, older brother was a bad influence. Back in 1984 when I started smoking was everywhere and it was easy for a kid to get cigarettes. These days not many smokers around here. My main reason is having a kidney infection confirmed by cat scan. On the follow up with my doctor, he says they may have seen a spot on the right kidney. So yesterday I had an ultrasound looking for a potential tumor. This has me scared, as I don't want kidney cancer or cancer of any kind. Its easier to quit over doing ultrasounds with the worry they'll find something. Then the worry while waiting for the doctor to call with results. Id rather have nicotine withdrawals over worrying about cancer and dying! I'm going to vape again and then quit all together.

Good choice, I truly hope you succeed. To me it's criminal the way the cig. mfgs. put nicotine in them specifically to create a chemical addiction in the human body and mind that is so hard for smokers to fight off and the greed of gov't's are complicit in those deaths and they absolutely know it. They justify it and skirt it with the issue of personal choice. My dad is 81 y.o., has smoked for 50 some odd years now, is otherwise physically healthy and until lately fished, played golf and tennis weekly yet weases like a leaky bicycle pump when breathing and will likely dye in a couple years of lung cancer. If I had just one wish for the world, using it to stop the world immediately from smoking would be an excellent use of it in my opinion. It would be interesting to see how the mfg's. and gov't would react if everyone in the world suddenly and secretly just stopped smoking all at once. I'm sure their true motives would be displayed quite quickly and clearly. Fuck cancer sticks and all those that profit from them and fuck all forms of cancer entirely. I wonder how many cave men died of cancers as we do today?

Last edited: