WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for a Jeep? This one's $15,000 with LOTS of power

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Someone's Selling a Postal Jeep Powered by Two SmallBlock Chevy Motors Bolted Together

pi3dtf8z5mae2vqrpv4s.png

For the longest time, I’ve been trying to figure out where the 18 missing inches of my postal Jeep’s frame went, but now I have a possible answer: This over-17 foot-Jeep DJ-5 for sale on eBay stole it so that it could house two inline small-block Chevy V8s and a pair of sideways-mounted radiators. Just look at this wacky contraption.

What an absurd machine readers Derek and Sean sent me via email: It’s an old Jeep Dispatcher with two rebuilt Chevy 355 small-blocks bolted one in front of the other, and sending power to a TH400 three-speed automatic, and finally to a leaf-sprung 1993 Jeep XJ rear axle. Most interestingly, the engines are cooled via two side-mounted radiators with electric fans fastened to them:
View attachment upload_2018-12-13_7-1-5.gif
Up front, there’s a transverse leaf-sprung I-Beam axle that the seller says comes from a 1955 Ford. The tires are 35-inch all-terrains, which are brought to a halt by power disk brakes at the front and drums at the back, and turned via a rack an pinion steering system a 90s Ford, of sorts.

The custom frame, the seller says, is made of two-by-six 3/16-inch thick tube, and is mated to a sub-frame for the engine and trans via some rubber mounts.

nb2hzmd6pncgbvpbmt3l.png

Interestingly, the coolant seems to be transported to the radiators via red PVC tubing, and—according to the seller—is motivated by two electric water pumps.

The number “two” is really the theme, here. It’s a two-wheel drive postal Jeep powered by two engines, cooled by two radiators, getting fuel via two new fuel pumps and two new Holley 600 carbs, and getting spark from two new Optima batteries.

tawr3n6lmidkor1i4wsz.jpg

Two is also the number of digits that this Jeep is apparently unable to score in the area of fuel economy, because the seller thinks it scores around 7.5 MPG, which, I guess, isn’t surprising considering the two motors and the estimated 4,000 pound curb weight.
The amazing Jeep, complete with the highly appropriate “Never Underestimate a Motivated Redneck” on its rear window, is for sale in Virginia on Craigslist and eBay right now for $15,000. I have no clue if that’s a good deal or not, because I’ve never seen anything like this.

It’s a magical machine.

Bob Bitchen

Reaction score
Great, you have an early small block in front a a vortec in the back. Love the upper and lower radiator pipes.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
700 in driving through what is probably a Dana 30?
I dig it. some people just don't understand the joy of building something just for the hell of it.
Judging from the mustang in the background the guy's got the chops.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
700 in driving through what is probably a Dana 30?
I dig it. some people just don't understand the joy of building something just for the hell of it.
Judging from the mustang in the background the guy's got the chops.

Actually a fair amount of mail jeeps had Dana 44's. Dana 30's were super rare, and only in commando/jeepsters in the rear for a short run, then replaced with an odd 44 that had shafts similar to an AMC20 (2 piece with a splined drive hub thingy). Most that dont have a 44 will have an AMC20.