WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sea deck

hallett21

Reaction score
So with everyone installing sea deck I’m
wondering what the shelf life is? I’d say carpet is good for 10ish Years.

What’s the procedure for removing and replacing? Anyone seeing significant wear now that we are at the 2-4 year mark.

I have limited experience with it. To me it looks like a nightmare to replace, am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rayson1971

Reaction score
I d like to add. Can it be installed on regular fiberglass over wood floor or does the floor need to be smoothed out like inner liner ? If this makes sense.

hallett21

Reaction score
I d like to add. Can it be installed on regular fiberglass over wood floor or does the floor need to be smoothed out like inner liner ? If this makes sense.

Pretty sure it needs an inner liner. Otherwise you have no where to finish to. I’m sure any imperfections in the floor would show in the sea deck as well.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Pretty sure it needs an inner liner. Otherwise you have no where to finish to. I’m sure any imperfections in the floor would show in the sea deck as well.

I wonder if you could finish it under the side panels like carpet.?

hallett21

Reaction score
I wonder if you could finish it under the side panels like carpet.?

Probably. But then what do you do under the bow where the floor meets the hull?

HitIt

Reaction score
I think it is a mistake, too. 1 - 2 years of hard years and it will look like shit. It wears and doesn't clean up really well. Maybe 3-5 years sitting in the heat without use before the adhesive back has problems. Tear out sucks since it is all adhesive backed. It looks cool when it is new but that is about it.

There will be a bunch of boats with sea deck and diamond stitch interior that people were refer to as the boats made before the crash of 2019 ;) Sort of like the tribal graphics before the last crash.

hallett21

Reaction score
Friend had it installed on his Lavey. Said the edges are curling and he has not even used it yet.

Aftermarket install? That’s a bummer either way.

Do they just add more glue to the edge?

Rayson1971

Reaction score
I think it is a mistake, too. 1 - 2 years of hard years and it will look like shit. It wears and doesn't clean up really well. Maybe 3-5 years sitting in the heat without use before the adhesive back has problems. Tear out sucks since it is all adhesive backed. It looks cool when it is new but that is about it.

There will be a bunch of boats with sea deck and diamond stitch interior that people were refer to as the boats made before the crash of 2019 ;) Sort of like the tribal graphics before the last crash.
That was my thought also. If it's really porous could be hard to get embedded grease dirt oil etc out of it. Maybe simplegreen ? Shoulder shrug emoji here.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score

What’s the procedure for removing and replacing? Anyone seeing significant wear now that we are at the 2-4 year mark.

I have limited experience with it. To me it looks like a nightmare to replace, am I wrong?

This is my concern as well and the reason I have been reluctant to put in my boat. It looks great new and is very functional, but I fear it will wear out quickly. I'm curious as well to see this product after 3 or 4 years of use.

DWC

Reaction score

Subscribed. Been thinking about it but want to see results after a couple years of regular use/abuse.

hallett21

Reaction score
Subscribed. Been thinking about it but want to see results after a couple years of regular use/abuse.

Eticket does snap in carpet right?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well pretty much every boat I have in the showroom has it.

* Yes, a finished inner liner is required as it isn't just installed in one huge sheet to cover the entire floor like carpet.

* SeaDek is better quality than Gator Step (we have Gator Step on our Sangers and SeaDek on our Nautiques) and seems to be holding up very well five years plus. We have many boats traded in that have five year old SeaDek. The machined finish on SeaDek and the way it is cut is much nicer than Gator Step. I couldn't tell you about any other brands as these are the only two I have any familiarity with. But if you were to choose one over the other SeaDek is MUCH nicer.

*Yes, it is a complete bitch to remove a damaged or old piece. Super time consuming and your hands will take a beating peeling it up. Mineral spirits and lots of cussing will get the job done.

* If someone had it installed and it is already peeling, the installer did a shit job as this stuff sticks; I mean sticks! I have installed lots here at our shop and if the surface is sufficiently clean, the SeaDek adheres very well and should stay stuck until you want to pull it up.

* It's stays much cooler than carpet and if you do happen to damage a piece you only have to replace that one piece which is really nice.

* Carpet is still great and it's completely personal opinion on which way someone would want to go. However, Nautique doesn't offer anything but SeaDek.

* There are a lot of options out there. The Sea Grass is definitely durable and looks cool, but not very comfy to stand in all day. We carried a line of pontoons at one point that had a similar flooring to the Sea Grass (may have actually been Sea Grass I don't know). It was sweet but was very hard like standing directly on the fiberglass. The soft touch floors like SeaDek and Gator offer some cushion.

I have been thinking if I (or someone) could come up with a nice fabric backing (to keep it from tearing) for the sea deck and velcro or snap in system for it, it would be even better. I bet we will see that soon.

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Eticket does snap in carpet right?

I don’t have carpet. Just bare floor. Sea Deck would be great but not if it’s getting replaced every couple years. Had carpet on the Magic. Was way less work at the end of each trip.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If you're going to spend that kind of money, I'd recommend going with snap in sea grass instead

RichL

Reaction score
I personally installed SeaDek on the swim platform of my 21'. When I sold the boat it had been on 5-6 years with no sign of wear or tear and no sign of curling at the edges. The surface was always cool to the touch in the summer sun, and cleaning was fairly easy. Every once in a while I would need a soft brush. FWIW the boat was always covered or inside when not in use but was commonly in the water for 2-3 days at a time in season. I will have no hesitation putting it on the swim platform of the Formula when the time comes.

CobraDave

Reaction score

* Yes, a finished inner liner is required as it isn't just installed in one huge sheet to cover the entire floor like carpet.

* SeaDek is better quality than Gator Step (we have Gator Step on our Sangers and SeaDek on our Nautiques) and seems to be holding up very well five years plus. We have many boats traded in that have five year old SeaDek. The machined finish on SeaDek and the way it is cut is much nicer than Gator Step. I couldn't tell you about any other brands as these are the only two I have any familiarity with. But if you were to choose one over the other SeaDek is MUCH nicer.

*Yes, it is a complete bitch to remove a damaged or old piece. Super time consuming and your hands will take a beating peeling it up. Mineral spirits and lots of cussing will get the job done.

* If someone had it installed and it is already peeling, the installer did a shit job as this stuff sticks; I mean sticks! I have installed lots here at our shop and if the surface is sufficiently clean, the SeaDek adheres very well and should stay stuck until you want to pull it up.

* It's stays much cooler than carpet and if you do happen to damage a piece you only have to replace that one piece which is really nice.

* Carpet is still great and it's completely personal opinion on which way someone would want to go. However, Nautique doesn't offer anything but SeaDek.

* There are a lot of options out there. The Sea Grass is definitely durable and looks cool, but not very comfy to stand in all day. We carried a line of pontoons at one point that had a similar flooring to the Sea Grass (may have actually been Sea Grass I don't know). It was sweet but was very hard like standing directly on the fiberglass. The soft touch floors like SeaDek and Gator offer some cushion.

I have been thinking if I (or someone) could come up with a nice fabric backing (to keep it from tearing) for the sea deck and velcro or snap in system for it, it would be even better. I bet we will see that soon.

That’s a great review of the stuff from someone that sees a lot of it. I was getting ready to buy some gator step and glad I read this. Is the price about the same? With gator step they already had the template to my 22 Shockwave deck. Would Sea dek have it also?

I want to buy the kit and install myself.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
I had it installed in mine right before Memorial Day Weekend 2018, so I can't really comment on the longevity of the product but I'm happy with it so far. I originally had a carpet kit which I didn't mind but my wife really wanted the SeaDek... It stays much cooler than the carpet, feels nice when you walk on it and also much less slippery on the swim step opposed to the anti skid fiberglass.

I purchased it through Ken at Blue Seas in San Diego and In Stitches in Havasu did the template and install. I didn't have to do anything other than remove my old carpet kit and the buttons, the SeaDek covers the holes that were in the floor.
Floor Design.jpg
Main.jpg
Rear Steps.jpg
Step.jpg

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That’s a great review of the stuff from someone that sees a lot of it. I was getting ready to buy some gator step and glad I read this. Is the price about the same? With gator step they already had the template to my 22 Shockwave deck. Would Sea dek have it also?

I did my own templates and installation on my nordic.
I was very thorough with the clean and prep stage before installing.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Aftermarket install? That’s a bummer either way.

Do they just add more glue to the edge?

One of the bigger interior shops. He has not tried to fix yet just mentioned it to me.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

SeaDek has a lot of templates, but I couldn't tell you if they have one for your boat. I believe Gatorstep is quite a bit cheaper (about 15 to 20%). They are both good and I don't think you would notice the difference if you weren't looking at them side by side.

What I noticed is the the machining lines and cuts are just much more accurate and fine on the SeaDek. As for the actual foam it's probably very similar in quality and how it will hold up.

I just took a photo of some samples I have here. Small round disc is a sample of Gator the larger sample of course is SeaDek.

20190115_111032.jpg

Last edited:

Albert

Reaction score
The question is once it goes bad how easy ir hard is to reinstall again?

RichL

Reaction score
I did my own templates and installation on my nordic.
I was very thorough with the clean and prep stage before installing.
This was my experience as well. To be clear, before I installed mine I took a R.O. sander with some 80 grit paper and removed the factory non-skid down to a level gelcoat surface. Then, as Ziggy said...Clean, Clean, Clean.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I still prefer the idea of being able to snap out the carpet, hose it down in the driveway, have it shampooed once a year etc, I don’t like the idea of not being able to remove it and be able to clean it outside of the boat.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I still prefer the idea of being able to snap out the carpet, hose it down in the driveway, have it shampooed once a year etc, I don’t like the idea of not being able to remove it and be able to clean it outside of the boat.
My dog has pissed on my seadek, I've had cranberry juice spilled on it as well as other identified stains. The juice was on it for days before I noticed.
A quick spray from my footwash and it disappeared down the bilge. I've not needed anything other than plain water to clean anything off it.
A good number of these kind of stains could go undetected on carpets, attract ants or mold up.

sirbob

Reaction score

Which begs the question -how much would it cost to have the interior floor glassed? I remember when I built this boat with JW he quoted me $1500 and I passed - That was stupid, I should have done it then...

YZFRider

Reaction score
From what I have seen, 4 years is about all you will get from the different traction decks. Less, if you clean them more. Over time they will start to thin out. Then you will start getting dust all over the place from the deck breaking down. If they use the 3M adhesive your only options are acetone or break cleaner to remove it.

Reactions: DWC

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
From what I have seen, 4 years is about all you will get from the different traction decks. Less, if you clean them more. Over time they will start to thin out. Then you will start getting dust all over the place from the deck breaking down. If they use the 3M adhesive your only options are acetone or break cleaner to remove it.

I’m replacing my snap in carpet with a new one after 16 years, can’t really complain there

HighVoltage329

Reaction score

Agreed. In my 28 Skater it's tight, difficult to get in to clean. The docks we park at are usually dirty. I'd prefer something removable.

Last edited:

AEA

Reaction score

What the name of the shop where you work?

Enen

Reaction score

Marine Mat has had a snap in option for years. I sent them my carpet to template it a few years ago, and they were able to cut pieces to directly replace my carpet. At that time one of the advantages Marine Mat had over Sea Dek was there equipment was larger, allowing them to cut pieces to cover larger areas than sea dek could. Less seams in the floor of the boat.

https://marinemat.net/product/snap-it-series

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Wow. looked up the eva foam. I never bothered to before. This material is super versatile. Heaters could be incorporated into it if one chose to. The texture, thickness/cushiness and durability can be made to order as simple sheet goods to be manufactured into whatever one might dream up. I think it is here to stay for the use in boats and I bet it improves. The fire resistance, stain-resistance is really good. Seeing what other products are made with this is an eye opener for sure. The few complaints I read on here seem to be easily addressable.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

I spoke to both at the show, had already decided and was awaiting a reply from seaDek but was set to use it, but at the show just the simple attitude difference between the two i ended up ordering some from Gator Step.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I've only had my SeaDek swim platform pad on my wake boat for a season but it has held up great (my boat is stored indoors when not in use).

The removal of the existing rubber pads on my platform were pretty easy. Granted its a smooth fiberglass surface the removal of any left over adhesive only required a little bit of elbow grease.

Can't speak to what the SeaDek adhesive will do but I'm loving the SeaDek material thus far and will be replacing all my carpet in the boat in the near future.

seadek-png.674530

poncho

Reaction score

I had Sea Dek done last spring in my Baja, i love the look. I tried like hell to get them to make panels with a backing so i could stay with the original snaps that were there from the factory. It just took them too far out of their comfort zone so i let it go.
Biggest thing i have found is hosing it down at the end of the day keeps it looking like new, it does like dirt.
20180627_171453.jpg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
What do the high end manufacturers like DCB use? Love the look of SeaDeck, but the ease of cleaning and replacement of carpet wins for me.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth with the thought of having this done on the elevated platforms of new pontoon. Just not sure yet. I think it looks sharp and might be a good option vs snap in carpet.

IMG_3869.jpg

PlanB

Reaction score
^^^ Our Bennington has snap in Seagrass on the raised drivers helm. Matches the Seagrass in the rest of the boat (looks like you have the same).

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
If I built a new boat Id go with the carpet. Like mentioned, nothing beats the feel of the 40oz!
The feel is how it first got my attention. 2015 Desert Storm, RD was riding in a center console that had it. I was hopping from one carpeted boat to another at the raftup and the moment my feet landed on the SeaDek it was like Love at first Feel. It was 100 times more comfortable than any of the carpets......no if, and or buts about it.