WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

BMW Engine Rebuild?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My wife's 2011 BMW X-5 spun a lower bearing last week. We are out of warranty at this point. It only had like 80,000 miles on it. It was regularly serviced and had very few issues. Water pump last year was the most major repair so far. My mechanic says the internals are now full of metal bits.

There's not a lot of BMW engine re-builders around here that I can find. So we are mulling over putting in a used take out engine. Although the cheapest I can find online is $5500 and they go up to $8500 for a mid mileage used engine. She has the 3.0 gas, so it is harder to find than the 4.4 engine. That seems crazy expensive to me. I can get a sweet 383 Stroker motor for that budget!

There's not a lot of BMW engine rebuilders around here. Our independent mechanic is checking his sources but not coming up with much.

Does anyone know a decent rebuild shop that finishes on time with good history? I found a few guys but they seem sketchy. Checking on the BMW forums for referrals I found a guy in Texas, but he needs four weeks minimum, and guy in Oklahoma City has a couple in stock, but only takes cash wired to his account for payment. LOL, yeah right. Mandy's not doing that.

I have even been checking salvage auctions for a damaged car. 2011 to 2013 apparently has the same N55 engine. I am told the engine setup in the Xdrive 35i is a little different than the other N55 applications since it is all wheel drive. Does anyone on here have a dealer license that can bid on salvage cars? If I can find one in SoCal it might be worth while.

The vehicle is worth maybe $15,000-$18,000 in running condition. She keeps it in near new condition cosmetically. But with a toasted motor it ain't exactly bringing much in trade. LOL

Any ideas for me? A SoCal Engine shop that can do the rebuild? I am not coming up with much in my searches.

We may just buy her something else and once this one is repaired just sell it on. It doesn't seem like a speedy repair.

And yes, I know owning a European car out of warranty is risky... Doh!

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I know a shop that does quite a bit of "race" BMW stuff, will see if I can get his number for you, my buddy's brother works for the guy. He has been pretty successful, his shop was in Irwindale about the time I moved to AZ, but think he has since moved.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
After I traded in our 2011 550 because of a blown head gasket that BMW wanted over $10k to fix I got a response on the BMW forum that rebuilt 4.4 liter engines could be had for $2300. If I had known that we would have kept our 550.

I did some checking and they are out there. It’ll probably cost about $3-4,000 to have it swapped out. But you should be good for another 10 years.

Good luck.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I'd love to have it repaired. We really like the vehicle and want to keep it.

Loony Toon

Reaction score
Give Taylor Co. in Pomona their an Independent BMW Shop. They might be able help you out and recommend someone.
Since I've been working here we have been bringing my wife's car to get serviced here. Friendly, helpful and fair pricing.

Taylor Co.
Foothill Blvd
Pomona 909-593-6878
Ask for Jim or Jeremy

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you run into a real bind, a 6.0 with a 4l60 fits really nice:D...looks like it was made for it, smog may be an issue, have to dummy up an ODBII port...possibly maybe theoretically speaking.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
@djunkie has a friend in Fullerton that specializes in BMW's. His name is Matt.

I don't have Matt's # handy or I'd post it.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
San Diego. But I can haul it up to LA or OC for the right shop.

RodnJen

Reaction score
I'd love to have it repaired. We really like the vehicle and want to keep it.

Me too. Just got a quote for a glow plug replacement of $1,230. It is a great car. I’ll find an independent shop or do it myself.

I’ll check around up here.

Edit: long shot, is there a recall issued?

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Have you tried the specialty salvage yards Mandelon?

https://www.bmrparts.com/

I use them often, there are a few around, shop a bit yourself to double check on your guy.

Personally I am pretty shocked, I have never heard of early lower end failure like that on any BMW blocks since the nicasil liner issues with the old 4L V8's.

Did it run low on oil constantly or something? Was the low oil switch in the pan already broken as usual? Seems fishy to me.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Mandy, call this place and ask for Ron. See what he can do for you. They are the most reputable salvage yard around. I knew Ron's dad back in the early 70's!

http://www.walker400.com/

This is another place I know of that has a decent reputation as well. We used em when I worked at the dealership. Never had a problem with them.

http://www.harouts.com/

If you can find a used engine, I know a guy who will install it. He still works at the dealership, and does a lot if side work.

He just did an M3 oil pan for me that I didn't want to bother with.

Hope this helps!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I hate to bring it up, but have you ever thought about just buying her another vehicle and make that a rock crawler? I only say this as I just started kicking around the idea of finding a diesel X5 and throwing Dana 60's under it with coil overs. You could have a pretty amazing base for a comfortable rock crawler with a Cummins 4bt.

Worst case scenario, I'd look at an option of putting an LS3 ($2600) in it registering it out of state.

Sorry, just thinking aloud!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I can put you together with one of my former master technicians if you like. He worked for us for 30+ years.

530RL

Reaction score
If you want your engine rebuilt by a quality person in Arizona, call Andrew Sanchez at Bavarian Motors Limited. He is grumpy but the very good.

If you want to do the install yourself, for a long block online you can go here or google up plenty of other sources... https://www.ghassanautomotive.com/collections/bmw-engines/products/bmw-n55-engine

If you join BMWCCA or go on the Bimmerfest forum/website you can find some lower miles N55's but the work to pull it and put it back in seems to me worth putting a rebuilt motor in.

Edit: Here is a california engine exchange shop

https://www.bavengine.com

Last edited:

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Call 403 467 8208
GTR Auto in Calgary.
They specialize in BMW parts, and they part out a lot of them.

Dylan

Reaction score
Dieters BMW used to be the go-to San Diego shop. They’re located downtown. Would definitely be worth a call to discuss options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Thank you guys!

I have a line on a low mile take out motor. It's not cheap, but I think it is what we are looking for.

I have chatted with Ghassan in OKC but they only want cash up front. I'm not too comfy with that. It seems rebuilding these motors is not worth it as the parts are so pricey. I'm looking at $3500 labor for the exchange and about $6000 for the engine. It has a 1 year warranty... for what that's worth.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I hate to bring it up, but have you ever thought about just buying her another vehicle and make that a rock crawler? I only say this as I just started kicking around the idea of finding a diesel X5 and throwing Dana 60's under it with coil overs. You could have a pretty amazing base for a comfortable rock crawler with a Cummins 4bt.

Worst case scenario, I'd look at an option of putting an LS3 ($2600) in it registering it out of state.

Sorry, just thinking aloud!

I can’t imagine the electronics nightmare that would be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Richard I think you got rid of the wrong BMW! [emoji4]

Wifey loves the 3er [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Matt Rose. Haven’t talked to him in years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt just built the motor for my race car, in his service shop he works on BMW and MINI. Not sure if he can help, but I would give him a call. His shop is in Fullerton.

Address: 617 W Valencia Dr, Fullerton, CA 92832
Hours:Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM
Phone: (714) 526-8100
Appointments: roninautowerks.com

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Having owned a bunch of German stuff, I don’t think I’d drop 10k in an 8 year old car......

I went around with that puzzle a bit too. We may not keep it, but with a good engine its worth $15K + So spend 10 get 15, that's a great return versus junking it for pennies. With a dead engine it's not worth much at all.

And if I don't replace the engine I would need to buy my wife a new car. And I am 98% confident she won't love a $10,000 model of any brand. She loves the X-5 and if I can keep her happy for $10K, I think that's a bargain.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Matt just built the motor for my race car, in his service shop he works on BMW and MINI. Not sure if he can help, but I would give him a call. His shop is in Fullerton.

Address: 617 W Valencia Dr, Fullerton, CA 92832
Hours:Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM
Phone: (714) 526-8100
Appointments: roninautowerks.com

Matt has his own Get to Know Matt page on their website. The place looks great.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
And if I don't replace the engine I would need to buy my wife a new car. And I am 98% confident she won't love a $10,000 model of any brand. She loves the X-5 and if I can keep her happy for $10K, I think that's a bargain.

Let me clarify for you...I'm 100% confident that she won't love a $10,000 model of any brand:D. Sorry for your troubles...say hi to Debbie and see you in a few weeks!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Yes, it still runs, but it sounds like a dryer full of hammers.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Let her drive the Nova??

She takes my truck and I drive the Nova! But this is what we are doing lately: She's super cute riding the beach cruiser up to the market to get groceries and bring them back in the bicycle basket. LOL

84miller

Reaction score
I have had very good results with Charlie's Foreign Car in Encinitas. Give them a call and see what they have to offer you. 760-753-4969.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Update: Purchased a used motor with 43000 miles on it from Bavarian Engine Exchange. Having it delivered to B and B Autohaus. No bargains anywhere. But at least these guys are local and have a good history. We'll see how it goes.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Update: Purchased a used motor with 43000 miles on it from Bavarian Engine Exchange. Having it delivered to B and B Autohaus. No bargains anywhere. But at least these guys are local and have a good history. We'll see how it goes.
Plenty of places with "factory trained" techs. It's similar to the amount of taco shops in our region:p:cool::D

BeerMaker

"B" Team Token Black Guy
Reaction score
Give Taylor Co. in Pomona their an Independent BMW Shop. They might be able help you out and recommend someone.
Since I've been working here we have been bringing my wife's car to get serviced here. Friendly, helpful and fair pricing.

Taylor Co.
Foothill Blvd
Pomona 909-593-6878
Ask for Jim or Jeremy

These guys are great. They have taken car of several of my BMWs once they are out of warranty.