WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Class A motorhome must-haves......

RCDave

Reaction score
The big initial items might be tires. Depending on when they were last replaced.

I haven't found maintenance to be that significant. Diesels are pretty reliable and require oil changes 2-4x less often. My cummins ISL (425 hp/1250lb) only needs an oil change every 20k miles.

The suspensions might need some attention for airbags at some point but rarely.

Otherwise, it's the occasional air filters, air dryer filters, genset oil/air filters, chassis lube jobs, etc.

C08H18

Reaction score
I chose a 34' Country Coach Intrigue built on a Gillig bus chassis. No slides because i hated how the slide isolated the driver while underway. We did 4 season offroading in WA and OR state, and good double pane windows were nice.

Air Dryer service & new tires were more, but overall cost of running a DP was pretty reasonable.

I did spend some $$ on suspension and handling: check valves installed inline to the suspension air to reduce lean, new HD shocks, sway bars, and removed the steering stabilizer from the conversion factory. Also went to lower profile tires. I did the suspension and tire work as soon as I got the coach and had no further issues (except for one airbag) for 10 yrs.

At 75MPH with an 18' trailer (7K lbs), I would get ~8 MPG. At 60 MPH, it jumped to 12 MPG.

Get a good, quiet genset - i ran both AC units on the genset while underway in the summertime. The chassis AC wasn't enough to keep the living area cool.

Joey beds on the basement storage were nice.

I used 6 ea 8D batteries to run the inverter and 12vdc lighting. Interstate Batteries would sell me used, matching 8D batteries (they picked thru their used inventory and would find matching sets) that would come off of commercial acct rigs for $25/battery. i would replace the batteries every 2 yrs before issues arose.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
The big initial items might be tires. Depending on when they were last replaced.

I haven't found maintenance to be that significant. Diesels are pretty reliable and require oil changes 2-4x less often. My cummins ISL (425 hp/1250lb) only needs an oil change every 20k miles.

The suspensions might need some attention for airbags at some point but rarely.

Otherwise, it's the occasional air filters, air dryer filters, genset oil/air filters, chassis lube jobs, etc.
Do you have the 8.9 with caps pump?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

River Runnin

Reaction score
Gas and suspension suck! ... must haves—Tag axle, 2 stage jake brake, 400hp (more is even better) diesel pusher. HR Navigater, Monaco, and Beaver if looking used! Or baller —Prevost, Essex, Marathon! ;)

wiseone

Reaction score
171F12E0-0481-49B4-9D69-87D53D891529.jpeg
Just purchased a 39’ 5th wheel a couple months ago. I have a family of 5 & we didn’t go with a motorhome Because my wife didn’t wanna make beds every morning. We love our new purchase, it has a 16’ garage that I can fit a Polaris 4 seat 900, KX 500, CRF 250x, KX 65 & a KFX 80 quad. It’s a Forest River Vengeance 388V16.

Attachments

• BB367405-78C7-4AD5-BE64-064770B66A53.jpeg
    BB367405-78C7-4AD5-BE64-064770B66A53.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 114
  • 2CDFA53F-F9FB-44D3-BD77-0F18BD46C0BF.jpeg
    2CDFA53F-F9FB-44D3-BD77-0F18BD46C0BF.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 118

squeezer

Reaction score
It was late, and yes I did! Both are Also awesome units! :D Was thinking Newell when put Essex!

If a person can swing a cash purchase (because financing can be tough) a 20 year old high end coach that was $400K new can be had for $50-60K. The build quality is over the top when compared a newer low end coach.

Think of it like buying a 20 year old Schiada vs a New Bayliner.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If a person can swing a cash purchase (because financing can be tough) a 20 year old high end coach that was $400K new can be had for $50-60K. The build quality is over the top when compared a newer low end coach.

Think of it like buying a 20 year old Schiada vs a New Bayliner.

I can see the value, but I can also see the typical issues associated with a 20 year old RV. Sun kills everything on exterior, most likely needs awnings, slide toppers, plastic trim gets hammered, plastic door latches, handles, etc etc. Roof can be an issue, and all the vents / covers on the roof. At 20 years old, how are all the rubber hoses on the motor and air components on the suspension. Then the inside looks like grandmas livingroom, dripping with gold hardware and red oak cabinetry built around 24" magnavox tube TV's. I like the idea, and I hate the idea at the same time.....guess you would just need to find the right coach that was maintained and upgraded

01erionracing

Reaction score
I have class C 26' for 15 years walk around rear queen size bed no slide (saving weight for towing) tows 18' enclosed trailer with quads and dirt bikes, mostly boondocks, 3 days weekend, we had little issue with the fresh water but not of a big deal.
We crossed country 8500 miles trip in 2008 without any issue. I dolly towed from the Toyota Matrix to Dodge Caravan and then flatted tow Jeep XJ and now the Tundra. We plan to use this moho for another 4-5 more years and then replace it. This is my home work for the next rig
Class A DP 38'-40' with Cummin ISL 8.9L with side mount radiator, Spartan or Roadmaster chassis with 10k towing (Alpine, Travel Supreme, Monaco, Country Coach, Beaver Patriot Thunder, Tiffin Allegro Bus) or
Class A gas 14 up Thor Outlaw with garage and rear queen bed, this is the only gas rig on my list due to floor plan layout and the garage.
Since my budget is about $70k so I have to wait few more years for the price to drop and our current class C still serves us well.
The list of being towed behind the moho, I also modified the tow dolly to tow 2 quads or motorcycle with 1 quad back in my motorcycle track/race day.
View 11.jpg

View 13.jpg

View 15.jpg

P1030235.JPG

2012-11-07 16.59.08.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

CIMG3946.JPG

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have class C 26' for 15 years walk around rear queen size bed no slide (saving weight for towing) tows 18' enclosed trailer with quads and dirt bikes, mostly boondocks, 3 days weekend, we had little issue with the fresh water but not of a big deal.
We crossed country 8500 miles trip in 2008 without any issue. I dolly towed from the Toyota Matrix to Dodge Caravan and then flatted tow Jeep XJ and now the Tundra. We plan to use this moho for another 4-5 more years and then replace it. This is my home work for the next rig
Class A DP 38'-40' with Cummin ISL 8.9L with side mount radiator, Spartan or Roadmaster chassis with 10k towing (Alpine, Travel Supreme, Monaco, Country Coach, Beaver Patriot Thunder, Tiffin Allegro Bus) or
Class A gas 14 up Thor Outlaw with garage and rear queen bed, this is the only gas rig on my list due to floor plan layout and the garage.
Since my budget is about $70k so I have to wait few more years for the price to drop and our current class C still serves us well.
The list of being towed behind the moho, I also modified the tow dolly to tow 2 quads or motorcycle with 1 quad back in my motorcycle track/race day.
View attachment 721427
View attachment 721428

View attachment 721422
View attachment 721423
View attachment 721424
View attachment 721425
View attachment 721426

We had a 26' Class C similar to that, before we got out current toy hauler. It was always good to us. I sold it to my cousin, and this last desert trip he came out with us and I spent some time in the old coach. Liked it better than my toy hauler, regretted selling it! Here's a pic (never towed the boat far with it, but did tow from Needles to Pirate's and launch....it was a bit heavy for it). Had a 10k hitch put on it, and the rear frame rails beefed up. Figure this was probably close to 8k. Coach handled and stopped fine, uphill power was lacking a bit though. But it hauled the boat 10 miles from storage to launch and back fine

IMG_6278.PNG

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I did the same thing. Had a nice 26' class C and towed the 25 Daytona. That was perfect. But it didn't have a slide so I sold it.

I was thinking of buying a class C so my wife can drive it. Just on short trips to the lake but she would NOT tow anything. I would tow the boat with my truck and follow behind her. We do this now with her following me in my truck while I tow the boat with the class A. (I am over length now) We don't have far to go. This is only for going to the lake which is a 90 mile trip one way.

She won't even consider driving the class A. Actually she won't even sit in the front seat of the class A. LOL For some reason the thought of driving the class C scares her less. LOL (whatever)

Then Dynamax came out with the ISATA 5 super C with 4x4. Now my plan is coming together nicely. LOL (this would make more sense with a nice used class C but I need 4x4)

I went from class C, 5th wheel, TAG tow hauler, to class A so I have done them all. They all have their pros and cons. But I am like you for some reason I like the motorhome even though it makes no sense since we already own trucks. I dunno. I can see myself going back to a trailer though and then miss the motorhome.

Good luck.

wayniac

Reaction score
I can see the value, but I can also see the typical issues associated with a 20 year old RV. Sun kills everything on exterior, most likely needs awnings, slide toppers, plastic trim gets hammered, plastic door latches, handles, etc etc. Roof can be an issue, and all the vents / covers on the roof. At 20 years old, how are all the rubber hoses on the motor and air components on the suspension. Then the inside looks like grandmas livingroom, dripping with gold hardware and red oak cabinetry built around 24" magnavox tube TV's. I like the idea, and I hate the idea at the same time.....guess you would just need to find the right coach that was maintained and upgraded

We are actually going through the same thing right now, so I really appreciate this thread. Our boy is 13 now, and wanting to invite friends, so being able to shut a door and use the bathroom and or change clothes, is a big thing especially with the wife. The comfort with traveling is a big thing too. Hopefully we will get the use out of it. After looking at multiple motorhomes 04-07ish 30-33 feet, I will tell you there are a lot of dumpy motorhomes out there. I am trying not to get too hung up on what I think is good, and research once i find what looks to be good. I was hesitant with the workhorse chassis since they sure didnt last long, but the it seems they had a fix for the brake problem. I like the sound of the fiberglass roof, and no plan on the full side slide out.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We are actually going through the same thing right now, so I really appreciate this thread. Our boy is 13 now, and wanting to invite friends, so being able to shut a door and use the bathroom and or change clothes, is a big thing especially with the wife. The comfort with traveling is a big thing too. Hopefully we will get the use out of it. After looking at multiple motorhomes 04-07ish 30-33 feet, I will tell you there are a lot of dumpy motorhomes out there. I am trying not to get too hung up on what I think is good, and research once i find what looks to be good. I was hesitant with the workhorse chassis since they sure didnt last long, but the it seems they had a fix for the brake problem. I like the sound of the fiberglass roof, and no plan on the full side slide out.

Seems like once we consider all our floorplan wants, we end up with a 35' coach.

My wifes must haves:
- Ability to close off rear bedroom and bathroom area from rest of coach (not just a dual - purpose door with gaps at top and bottom, or curtian)
- Room to get dressed comfortably in bedroom / restroom area

My must haves - everything the wife said, plus:
- Full size basement storage hatches (not the mini stuff on the lower end class A units) similar to what you see on pushers
- Graphics in good condition, preferably body paint (some or all - hard to find on gas coaches under 60k)
- dual AC, 5500 Gen / 50 amp service
- Couch and dinette / table on a slide
- Roomy shower and toilet areas
- Nice water and waste connection setup - all the proper flush connections, etc
- Minimum 50 gallon fresh, preferably closer to 75 (hard to find again....)
- Overall length under 36' max (gas coach....)

Things i'd like but arent mandatory:
- Driver side door
- coach heat option (uses engine to heat rest of coach when driving, so you dont have to use furnace while underway)
- Double door big fridge / freezer (side by side).
- 22.5 wheels
- Drop down cab bed (only present on newer models....hard to find on pre 2014 units)

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Seems like once we consider all our floorplan wants, we end up with a 35' coach....

Look at some of the super c’s. My Gulfstream has a 10k towing capacity, 8.1/Allison, bed over the cab, drivers/passenger door, holds just shy of 100 gal fresh water, has huge storage (my kids dirt bikes will fit in the rear storage compartment...no joke), 4x conversion is all bolt in, has 19.5’s, but 22.5’s are cake/easy, the super has larger slide(s) than a normal c, it’s like driving a truck instead of a bus, airbags, windshields and stuff are all “normal” at a glass shop, when I need parts I can get parts for a Chevy kodiak at vato zone, etc. We use the hell out of ours, 40+ nights a year. I can tow the boat, a huge enclosed, whatever. It runs circles around my dad and uncles diesel’s, and gets damn near the sane mileage but lately costs less due to gas being 1$ cheaper.

I bought mine salvage titled (theft recovery), fixed a few things and it’s already “penciled out”. I’m into it for less than paying for hotel room or rentals for the same number of nights we’ve used it.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Look at some of the super c’s. My Gulfstream has a 10k towing capacity, 8.1/Allison, bed over the cab, drivers/passenger door, holds just shy of 100 gal fresh water, has huge storage (my kids dirt bikes will fit in the rear storage compartment...no joke), 4x conversion is all bolt in, has 19.5’s, but 22.5’s are cake/easy, the super has larger slide(s) than a normal c, it’s like driving a truck instead of a bus, airbags, windshields and stuff are all “normal” at a glass shop, when I need parts I can get parts for a Chevy kodiak at vato zone, etc. We use the hell out of ours, 40+ nights a year. I can tow the boat, a huge enclosed, whatever. It runs circles around my dad and uncles diesel’s, and gets damn near the sane mileage but lately costs less due to gas being 1$ cheaper.

I bought mine salvage titled (theft recovery), fixed a few things and it’s already “penciled out”. I’m into it for less than paying for hotel room or rentals for the same number of nights we’ve used it.
I'll check it out! Did you have to do the rear suspension upgrade, someone else on here was saying they sit on the bump stops from the factory.

RCDave

Reaction score
I've seen gassers go 10k miles and more on dino oil with oil analysis.
My 8.1 holds 8 quarts. I can do an oil change in less than 30 minutes for less than $50 full syn with filter
How many gallons oil and how many filters do you have?

Full syn for $50? Most full syn is $10 per quart.

28 quarts of Dino and one oil filter! Rollin down the highway at a extremely quiet and stress free 1500-1700 rpm.

spectras only

Reaction score
Look for something like this Winnebago. 2008 model. Anything older than 2006 start to look too old. Unless it's a very high end coach, of course.
This list is in Canada, price is 47K cdn. Just to show it for price point comparo
https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/rvs/d/maple-ridge-winnebago-sightseer-m29r/6776184777.html

This Georgetown for same money is 35' with similar milage [ kms ] looks decent too
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/rvs/d/surrey-2007-forest-river-georgetown/6781137177.html

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Look for something like this Winnebago. 2008 model. Anything older than 2006 start to look too old. Unless it's a very high end coach, of course.
This list is in Canada, price is 47K cdn. Just to show it for price point comparo
https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/rvs/d/maple-ridge-winnebago-sightseer-m29r/6776184777.html

This Georgetown for same money is 35' with similar milage [ kms ] looks decent too
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/rvs/d/surrey-2007-forest-river-georgetown/6781137177.html

I wonder if I could buy in canada and take advantage of the exchange rate.....hmmmm

RCDave

Reaction score
Pick the tool that suits ya!!!

I'd just prefer to have too much tool than not enough.

rickym20

Reaction score

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Seems like once we consider all our floorplan wants, we end up with a 35' coach.

My wifes must haves:
- Ability to close off rear bedroom and bathroom area from rest of coach (not just a dual - purpose door with gaps at top and bottom, or curtian)

- Full size basement storage hatches (not the mini stuff on the lower end class A units) similar to what you see on pushers
- Graphics in good condition, preferably body paint (some or all - hard to find on gas coaches under 60k)

- Driver side door
- coach heat option (uses engine to heat rest of coach when driving, so you dont have to use furnace while underway)
- 22.5 wheels
- Drop down cab bed (only present on newer models....hard to find on pre 2014 units)
You've literally just described a 04 Winnebago adventurer 35u.

Another thing that I'm glad you pointed out was the full coach style basement compartments. I have a friend that has a 09 Georgetown and his biggest pet peeve are his flimsy cheap doors.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I'll check it out! Did you have to do the rear suspension upgrade, someone else on here was saying they sit on the bump stops from the factory.

That was me that said that. The early models had the 13.5k leafs. Anything later than about 06 or so should be ok. But like any of the gassers a few suspension upgrades go a long way. I built front and rear track bars (used jeep Yj take offs and built brackets), I got some used airbags and did bilsteins. I have about 400$ in all the mods and a little time. Made a huge difference. Mine has 4.88’s and the older 5 speed Allison and I went up to 245/70-19.5’s and it tows 10k lbs pretty dang good. The ground clearance is nice off road too.

gqchris

Reaction score
But I am like you for some reason I like the motorhome even though it makes no sense since we already own trucks. I dunno. I can see myself going back to a trailer though and then miss the motorhome.

Good luck.

I have had both also. The reason I like a motorhome is the vacation starts the minute you drive away. (Well at least for the family. Lol). The trailer, it doesnt start till you get u loaded etc.

My group of friends always busts my balls because I load up the car on trailer the night before leaving, and butt crack of dawn im out. They all have two hours of loading shit in their toyhaulers :)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have had both also. The reason I like a motorhome is the vacation starts the minute you drive away. (Well at least for the family. Lol). The trailer, it doesnt start till you get u loaded etc.

My group of friends always busts my balls because I load up the car on trailer the night before leaving, and butt crack of dawn im out. They all have two hours of loading shit in their toyhaulers :)
This is exactly what happens to me. Fuckin motorhome guys stuff the car / bikes on the trailer, party late then split in the morning. I’m the guy folding up shit and packing the toy hauler as they drive away in the morning. No more! Lol

grumpy88

Reaction score
This is exactly what happens to me. Fuckin motorhome guys stuff the car / bikes on the trailer, party late then split in the morning. I’m the guy folding up shit and packing the toy hauler as they drive away in the morning. No more! Lol
I have seen the amount of stuff you take to the desert , it's no small task for you to load and unload !

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Looks like your budget just went up...

My wifes must haves:

- Driver side door
- 22.5 wheels

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Moho worked for us because the warden needs to pee 12 times in a 3 hour drive, now she can go while I just keep driving.
Same here, since we got the Moho, I can actually make some time on the road instead of pulling over every 45 minutes.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
first off....not all DP ride good... freight shakers are the worst riding coaches on the road, sure they ride smooth and quiet on smooth roads,... but go across the 210 to the coast...you'll see what I mean,.. and going from parker to phoenix is another bad road test...
next, just because your DP has a 10k hitch,... doesn't mean it's rated to pull 10k..

next, dp do not go up hills the fastest, they are not designed to do this...they are designed to run around 1700 rpms..when you are red lining a diesel at 2500 plus rpms up a hill you need to slow down and get in the next higher gear and put a load on the motor..

the same with the v-10 ford...V10 ford makes all it's torque at 3200 rpms,.. so again...screaming up a hill at 5000 rpms is gonna do nothing but take longevity away..

weight VS torque says who's gonna go up the hill the fastest....

next, west coast DP have a different challenge.... every where you go it's up hill both ways,.. so slow down and go easy on the rig. you might loose a couple minutes on a big long grade... but you will save both fuel and longevity on your rig slowing down.....there is no prize waiting at the top of the hill...that and you will really put a load on the cooling system and turbo

here's my formula, I don't go gas power over 32', mostly because I always tow heavy boats and trailers...that's where the makes sense and cents line is...gas coaches over 32' get up in the 18k weight real quick and to make them work they have gears like 538's that nets you the 5 mpg range... so you will use twice as much fuel, and even more up hills... you'll be 1 mpg up cohon pass...

when picking a coach, what you are gonna do with it is the choice...like grabbing a crecent wrench when you know you have only one wrench to take off different size nuts,... there a tool box full of different coaches out there,.. and for every thing you get you will give up somewhere...so pick out what works best for you...spend some time going in and out of different coaches to find the real must haves...and after that buy one that works...remember,..they are not a house....not even a good size apartment...a 32'r is only about 250 sq ft...that's closets, bed room, kitchen, bathroom, and living room...

for me, motorhomes are the only way...but they sure sell the shit out of trailers...for some reason, even though they are built with the same materials, people have no problem buying a new toy hauler and parking it out in the yard...where as motorhome people want to park in a garage...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
first off....not all DP ride good... freight shakers are the worst riding coaches on the road, sure they ride smooth and quiet on smooth roads,... but go across the 210 to the coast...you'll see what I mean,.. and going from parker to phoenix is another bad road test...
next, just because your DP has a 10k hitch,... doesn't mean it's rated to pull 10k..

next, dp do not go up hills the fastest, they are not designed to do this...they are designed to run around 1700 rpms..when you are red lining a diesel at 2500 plus rpms up a hill you need to slow down and get in the next higher gear and put a load on the motor..

the same with the v-10 ford...V10 ford makes all it's torque at 3200 rpms,.. so again...screaming up a hill at 5000 rpms is gonna do nothing but take longevity away..

next, west coast DP have a different challenge.... every where you go it's up hill both ways,.. so slow down and go easy on the rig. you might loose a couple minutes on a big long grade... but you will save both fuel and longevity on your rig slowing down.....there is no prize waiting at the top of the hill...that and you will really put a load on the cooling system and turbo

here's my formula, I don't go gas power over 32', mostly because I always tow heavy boats and trailers...that's where the makes sense and cents line is...gas coaches over 32' get up in the 18k weight real quick and to make them work they have gears like 538's that nets you the 5 mpg range... so you will use twice as much fuel, and even more up hills... you'll be 1 mpg up cohon pass...

when picking a coach, what you are gonna do with it is the choice...like grabbing a crecent wrench when you know you have only one wrench to take off different size nuts,... there a tool box full of different coaches out there,.. and for every thing you get you will give up somewhere...so pick out what works best for you...spend some time going in and out of different coaches to find the real must haves...and after that buy one that works...remember,..they are not a house....not even a good size apartment...a 32'r is only about 250 sq ft...that's closets, bed room, kitchen, bathroom, and living room...

for me, motorhomes are the only way...but they sure sell the shit out of trailers...for some reason, even though they are built with the same materials, people have no problem buying a new toy hauler and parking it out in the yard...where as motorhome people want to park in a garage...

Been waiting for you to chime in! Ok Steve.....check out my "want list" a few posts above - whats the holy grail coach for my needs?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
You've literally just described a 04 Winnebago adventurer 35u.

Another thing that I'm glad you pointed out was the full coach style basement compartments. I have a friend that has a 09 Georgetown and his biggest pet peeve are his flimsy cheap doors.

I just checked out the 35U.....yes that is a bad mofo layout! Looks like its a high quality model, big storage too. Need to find one with the 3V V10 / torqueshift trans setup

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

Sorry for hijack bigbore, but Steve do you have any input on the ~30ft class c's with a small garage on the back? Sounds like it would be really convenient to load the bikes in the garage and not have to worry about a trailer and going 55 in cali.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Sorry for hijack bigbore, but Steve do you have any input on the ~30ft class c's with a small garage on the back? Sounds like it would be really convenient to load the bikes in the garage and not have to worry about a trailer and going 55 in cali.
for me they don't work because they won't haul 2 rzr's… and the ones I looked at didn't have heat and ac in the garage part, so no real bedroom….my must have's from the boss(wife) … walk around bed...king preferred, sofa, and a dinette....lol... she calls class C's crampers...If she had her way we would have a 50' coach....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

My wifes must haves:

- Driver side door
- 22.5 wheels
I would take gas coach off the list , you will be way way happier ….there's some bad ass coaches out there that are just too big for me, the alpine I had was badd ass.... but has the vansco computers...though I really never had much problem, it was always on my mind... most DP coaches have million mile chassis that are designed for the weight... the low end torque is what you want...the worst investment ever is a new DP....so buying a few yrs older is a big hit for the OG buyer,.. and a huge savings when buy'n new...v10 coaches have a horrible bump shaking ratting ride....and are noiser when you hit the hills...though I have never done it, there are some new air valves out to help the freight shakers..so for the money spent.... dp is the way you should go in my opinion...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I wanna add this....all the older coaches look like gramma's house in side... but It doen't cost much, just your time to do a remodel...just try to steer away from coaches with gold trim...LOL... I found out from the internet why I would never rent a house out....I did a search " how to get rid of Gold in showers" they were pissing on each others heads on a brand new Natuzzi leather couch.... you know it wasn't theirs

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
heres another thing to keep in mind... side radiators don't cool as well and are real expensive to replace, but the trade off is the motor is eaiser to work on and they have less over hang in the rear

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
What is a caps pump?
Caps fuel pump.
Reason I ask is, it's not something I'd recommend. Yes, cummins is an industry leader when it comes to designing and producing bullet proof engines however, the isl 8.9 isn't one of them. The isl 8.9 and isc 8.3 were the biggest pieces of shit and were known to not last under serious load. Our fleet constantly had problems with the caps fuel pumps failing, cylinder heads grenading, egr coolers(square manifold style) leaking, starters, injectors etc etc. They might be great for the occasional weekend warrior that drives down to the beach for fun or those that will end up only tacking on 40k miles in a 15 year period but I wouldn't expect anything more.

Don't take my word for it though, go on irv2 and see what others post about them.

Another thing to consider is maintenance costs. That's probably the #1 reason that kept me from even looking into diesels. I know what things cost from being in the industry and its beyond stupid. A simple brake job parts alone is an easy 1k off the bat just for drums and shoes. Caps fuel pump is 3kish if that goes. I know I'm probably exaggerating about needing this but I like to prepare for the worst that way I know what I'm getting myself into.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I would buy a coach with as many slides as you can afford. I had a Bounder with apposing slides and it really opens up the living space. You want to stay away from some of the older Workhorse W22 Chassis's like you said, they had brake issues but that 496 pulled great and I was a couple of feet away from the legal length. You really need a big fresh water tank for dry camping, a lot of these fancy coaches really are not designed for dry camping and come with small tanks.100 gallons in nice to have. I would want a coach with 50A and an inverter. Some places like the Islander harp on older coaches in their park, get something newer and in good condition. Lastly, make sure the refrigerator works, and gets cold. To replace or repair an RV double door fridge can be thousands, make sure it gets cold. Look very closely at the tires for small cracks, tires are very expensive. Nothing wrong with gas coaches for trips to the desert or river. If you were a retiree traveling all over the states with a car in tow by all means go diesel.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
This looks like a cool coach. Only has a 300hp ISB 5.9, but i think 2004 was a good year for those. No emissions stuff hardly. Not alot of power but the coach is considered a "354" and measures 37'. Empty weight is close to 19,500, so it's a small DP. Seems to have everything we want. Think it will tow 6k up hill acceptably?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/20...ry+354+MBS+Diesel+Pusher+34K+Miles-5001255158

https://www.uvsconsole.com/manager/admin/cp-brochures/151386609858504.pdf
I know the owner at conejo rv, he has a small lot and usually keeps the real clean trades...coachmen is more entry level and it's freightliner... but the 228 wb will make it better...the 300 hp will do the job...just a little slower on the hills... most of the time they will stay in 6th gear...keeping it at 2000 and under rpms they last forever...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I know the owner at conejo rv, he has a small lot and usually keeps the real clean trades...coachmen is more entry level and it's freightliner... but the 228 wb will make it better...the 300 hp will do the job...just a little slower on the hills... most of the time they will stay in 6th gear...keeping it at 2000 and under rpms they last forever...
I see it has a propane 6.5kw gen......I desert camp but typically just run a Honda 2000 to keep the coach juiced up as needed. Only run the big gen if I'm gonna run big appliances multiple at a time / etc. IS that propane generator a problem? Seems that people dont like them

Meaney77

Reaction score

How well do you know the owner??

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
when you buy a DP on freight shaker... you'll be in one of the 2"D" categories , disappointed… or denial... the people in the denial do the best because they tell so many people how good it is that they actually start to believe it their self.... the disappointed take it the worst because they bitch and complain every time they take it out...
How well do you know the owner??
well enough to know what he did, if that's what your asking...and ive done business with him...pretty straight shooter