WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Southwest get’s FAA approval...

boatpi

Reaction score
I will not be running, selected airports only and no widebody planes as I see it.

While specific routes are not yet available for purchase, our initial intention is to begin Hawaii nonstop service from Oakland (OAK), San Diego (SAN), San Jose (SJC), and Sacramento (SMF).*Subject to required government approvals. From California, you can reach Honolulu, HI (Oahu), Kahului, HI (Maui), Kona, HI (Island of Hawaii), and Lihue, HI (Kauai). We also intend to provide interisland service, so you can fly between the Hawaiian Islands with us, too.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I guess since Hawaiian airlines recently started flights out of Long Beach, that's why SW isn't offering them.

LGB has ruined all other airports for me. I won't fly anywhere unless I can go from LGB.

Tank

Reaction score
AWESOME! Bout done paying a grand per ticket to get to our place in Kona!! nearly not worth having the place when it takes 4k just to get the family there.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
That's going to be interesting to see how the seating is set up. I love Southwest for short flights not
sure about 5 hours. Kind of spoiled with Hawaiian.

20180214_163715.jpg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I only fly Hawaiian becuase of both inner island and mainland travel. I am not interested in taking smaller planes. If so I could have done it with Alaska. I the routine that I have traveling on Hawaiian. I am hoping that it will be better to have another airline in hopes that Hawaiian’s pricing will lower a bit.

Plus maybe this will open up travel for some of our friends to get to the islands more often. :thumbup:

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
That's going to be interesting to see how the seating is set up. I love Southwest for short flights not

View attachment 731713

Tell me about it.....

1510E939-AF95-4F7E-AFAF-DD40F78B5318.jpeg
F31C2547-E90B-4EDC-9E3C-0801508C4D32.jpeg

Also looking forward to a trip to NYC this fall. The lay flat seats are going to be a game changer for the 10 hour red eye flight.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I guess since Hawaiian airlines recently started flights out of Long Beach, that's why SW isn't offering them.

LGB has ruined all other airports for me. I won't fly anywhere unless I can go from LGB.

Have you seen the pricing of those flights. oh my gosh! I looked once....ONCE!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Have you seen the pricing of those flights. oh my gosh! I looked once....ONCE!

No, I don't fly much. If I do, it's for work and I don't care what it costs. I don't see myself being able to afford a Hawaii trip any time soon.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
First world prolems.....

You can get there by boat, you know. :)

AWESOME! Bout done paying a grand per ticket to get to our place in Kona!! nearly not worth having the place when it takes 4k just to get the family there.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Why the anticipation of low fares? SW hasn't been the cheapest for a while now. I predict 6 months of super cheap fares then a return to the normal.

If you want cheap Allegiant flies out of Las Vegas to Hawaii.

rrrr

Reaction score
Any airline flying a twin engine aircraft significant distances over water has to go through the process that Southwest is engaged in right now. Because an engine failure means there's only one donk keeping the plane in the air, the FAA makes the airlines go through an extensive and thorough certification process which is concentrated on safety.

When everything is approved, the airline receives certification for ETOPS, or Extended Twin Engine Operations. The certification is for twin engine aircraft flight time limits in minutes from the farthest distance over water the aircraft is from a suitable airport, like 90, 120, 180, 240, 330, etc.

It's also known colloquially as Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim. :D

The authorization Southwest received today is the result of the FAA inspecting and approving the preparation and execution of maintenance and flight operations manuals and procedures, documentation of pilot and cabin crew training, inspection and certification of the aircraft to be used, and dozens of other details.

The FAA has reviewed all of that information, and now the next step will begin. Several validation flights will be made with multiple FAA inspectors on the ground and on board, observing the flight dispatchers, gate and ramp personnel, flight crews, cabin crews, aircraft performance, avionics performance, and other parameters.

Validation flights must be made from every city pair the airline will service. Every Southwest operation will have to qualify individually. The station managers, chief maintenance engineers, dispatch supervisors, and other designated key personnel at OAK, LAX, SAN, SJC, SMF and all of the Hawaii destination stations must pass FAA scrutiny, and they will be responsible for running their respective departments and keeping them in compliance.

Because Southwest has no existing Hawaii stations, they have had to lease gates and terminal space and either contract their maintenance to another carrier or build their own organization. Because of the strict requirements of ETOPS, this has likely been a very expensive proposition.

As the validation flights and personnel observations are completed at each station and Southwest receives a passing grade, revenue service to and from that airport can begin.

I have greatly simplified what actually happens. It's a big deal.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Have a friend of the wife’s tell her this yesterday. They have a rental property currently vacant. They are going through applicants and one couple is relocating with SouthWest. Bad part is that they have a low credit score. Can you guys on the mainland let anyone know that if they have bad credit there are no properties available for rent here. LOL They are going to be screwed when they find out about the price of paradise.

Reactions: DWC

Cobalt232

Reaction score
SWA will run their new 737-MAX aircraft to Hawaii. I have been on a few Max's. Nice aircraft, seats are thin though. The cabin feels much larger than older 737's and overhead storage is more like the 787 now. Extra lav.

I miss Aloha Airlines...

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Well hell that might bring prices down since we just booked waialua house in Sept .

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score

View attachment 731713

Same here, 5+ hours on beat up 737-8 or the new 737 Max with no power outlets, IFE or any type of real food = brutal flight.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Same here, 5+ hours on beat up 737-8 or the new 737 Max with no power outlets, IFE or any type of real food = brutal flight.
You have to bring your own sandwiches.

SWA has live TV, saved TV and now movies are free. Just need your own device.

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score

Don't forget the battery charger. LOL
Fly SWA almost every week, locally. Did LAX to Cancun, luckily they had enough beer on board.

72Hondo

Reaction score
The authorization Southwest received is the result of the FAA inspecting and approving the preparation and execution of maintenance and flight operations manuals and procedures, documentation of pilot and cabin crew training, inspection and certification of the aircraft to be used, and dozens of other details.

After the FAA reviews all of the information, several validation flights are made with multiple FAA inspectors on the ground and on board, observing the flight dispatchers, gate and ramp personnel, flight crews, cabin crews, aircraft performance, avionics performance, and other parameters.

I have greatly simplified what actually happens. It's a big deal.

When everything is approved, the airline receives certification for ETOPS, or Extended Twin Engine Operations. The certification is for twin engine aircraft flight time limits over water, like 90, 120, 180, 240, 330, etc.

It's also known colloquially as Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim.

:D

ETOPS certification came through today.

First ETOPS class is this Friday for flight crews.

Oak is first

LAX will be second. LAX is not a crew base and that’s why OAK went first. LAX is becoming a crew base and the next on the list for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

72Hondo

Reaction score
[emoji16]

IMG_1322.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
....and E T O P S Is an acronym for....

....wait for it.....

......waaaaiit for it......

Engine Turns Or People Swin....

Ba dum bum.....lol

HNL2LHC

Reaction score

SWA is what I fly short mainland flights. I do have to say that the live TV gives them a couple of points. Still have to set a timer to remind me to check in for better boarding position. I am used Hawaiian’s boarding group #1.

Dalton

Reaction score
i was flying from el paso to vegas one time, cant remember the route exactly but decided to go business.....on SOUTHWEST, what a scam that was. The city bus of the sky.

rrrr

Reaction score
i was flying from el paso to vegas one time, cant remember the route exactly but decided to go business.....on SOUTHWEST, what a scam that was. The city bus of the sky.

You got a Business Select fare. All that means is that you get to board in the first group, and that your ticket is fully changeable and refundable. It's about a $30-$40 upcharge.

It's not their fault you didn't read the description of what you purchased.

boatpi

Reaction score
No hot food, just snacks per website. Narrow 737., not me.

rrrr

Reaction score
Why the anticipation of low fares? SW hasn't been the cheapest for a while now. I predict 6 months of super cheap fares then a return to the normal.

They are if you purchase in advance and factor in the no bullshit fee policy. My wife was going to fly on Frontier DAL-DEN, it was $89 each way.

Then she started looking closer. If you carry on anything other than a medium sized purse, you pay. Backpacks are $12, carry ons $25, checked luggage $50. Want an aisle or window seat? They're $15. Soft drinks are $3.50. Need to change your flight time or date? It's $50 each way.

Allegiant is the same way. United, Delta, and American charge $50 for checked bags, and that price is going up.

All of that stuff is free on Southwest. By the time Frontier's extra fees were added up, Southwest was the same price.

Dalton

Reaction score
You got a Business Select fare. All that means is that you get to board in the first group, and that your ticket is fully changeable and refundable. It's about a $30-$40 upcharge.

It's not their fault you didn't read the description of what you purchased.

I’ve bought business by other names too, “business flex” and other things, the word shouldn’t of been associated with that product at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grumpy88

Reaction score
They are if you purchase in advance and factor in the no bullshit fee policy. My wife was going to fly on Frontier DAL-DEN, it was $89 each way.

Then she started looking closer. If you carry on anything other than a medium sized purse, you pay. Backpacks are $12, carry ons $25, checked luggage $50. Want an aisle or window seat? They're $15. Soft drinks are $3.50. Need to change your flight time or date? It's $50 each way.

Allegiant is the same way. United, Delta, and American charge $50 for checked bags, and that price is going up.

All of that stuff is free on Southwest. By the time Frontier's extra fees were added up, Southwest was the same price.
My 50 dollar checked bag was 3 pounds over weight so they wanted to charge me even more . I pulled my shoes out and the bag was good to go . I explained to the dumb bitch the shoes were going in my tiny carry on not in the trash so what was the difference . She could not grasb the idea 3 pounds in the cabin was the same 3 pounds in the over head bin . Never again

boatpi

Reaction score
If anyone wants to have a real airline experience,just fly Singapore airlines. None finer. Business or premium economy, 4 meals, open bar including champagne, flight attendants that are drop dead, 13” screen with 500 choices.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
My 50 dollar checked bag was 3 pounds over weight so they wanted to charge me even more . I pulled my shoes out and the bag was good to go . I explained to the dumb bitch the shoes were going in my tiny carry on not in the trash so what was the difference . She could not grasb the idea 3 pounds in the cabin was the same 3 pounds in the over head bin . Never again

I had a similar conversation. I pull my laptop at the time and work during the flight. They said that I had to remove something from my bag. So rather than argue I pulled the laptop, weighed the bag. Then pulled bag off the scale after it met the weight. To make my point before I moved from the counter I unzipped the bag, placed my laptop into my bag and rolled my bag to security. Sometimes life is more difficult than it needs to be. LOL

rrrr

Reaction score

This is why I fly on Southwest unless I want to use my half jillion points on Delta. Their seat pitch is the same as American and Delta. They are a little narrower. The new 737 Max seats look like they don't have any padding, but the materials used were chosen after much research to provide the same comfort as older seats.

If I want to sit in the first 50 group, it costs $12. It's worth it, I hafta have an aisle seat because of my knees. I can check two bags for free. BTW it annoys the shit out of me when I have to wait on fools to stuff their obviously oversize bags in the overhead. Morons. Anyway, by the time I get to the carousels, it's a couple more minutes before my bag shows up.

The new terminal at Dallas Love Field is easy to get to, the parking garage is close (but I use remote parking and shuttles), and everything is clean and new.

With Southwest, I know what I'm going to get. Unless there is weather, they are 85% on time. The people rock.

I don't know why there are several posts in this thread bagging on them. Try flying another airline, especially the ultra low cost carriers, and see what you get.

BoatPI's recommendation of Singapore Airlines is a good one, but unless you're flying to an Asian destination, they don't go where you want to go. The fares in business and first class will make you grab your chest, it's the big one, Elizabeth.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Southwest is not cheap and find them expensive. In general all us based airlines suck and I fly delta the most.

The best points system is areoplan and I can transfer Amex miles over to it. Makes Europen travel enjoyable 60k points 1 way.

F3F6EE33-B410-4274-874F-B15EB616D2F5.jpeg

C2B96BBA-B9D0-4B5C-AC37-019A3C0A1816.jpeg

rrrr

Reaction score
Southwest is not cheap and find them expensive. In general all us based airlines suck and I fly delta the most.

The best points system is areoplan and I can transfer Amex miles over to it. Makes Europen travel enjoyable 60k points 1 way.

View attachment 731863
View attachment 731865

Southwest is cheap if you plan ahead and can move your travel dates a few days one way or the other.

Southwest doesn't exist to serve people that work for large corporations with travel departments. If someone is flying business or first to Europe, they aren't going to bother flying domestically on a 737 loaded with college students, old people, families with crying children, and salesmen working for small companies.

I'm impressed by your photos and condescending attitude.

Dalton

Reaction score
If anyone wants to have a real airline experience,just fly Singapore airlines. None finer. Business or premium economy, 4 meals, open bar including champagne, flight attendants that are drop dead, 13” screen with 500 choices.

Most Asian or Middle eastern airlines are way better than US carriers IMO. I still want to try Qantas but its crazy expensive, and not sure if its better than Emirates.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Most Asian or Middle eastern airlines are way better than US carriers IMO. I still want to try Qantas but its crazy expensive, and not sure if its better than Emirates.
Gulf air has some hot stewardesses. Not these old hags and fags we have in the US.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score

View attachment 731863
View attachment 731865

Being 6’7” I’d love to flying this JUST once. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Singleton

Reaction score
Southwest is cheap if you plan ahead and can move your travel dates a few days one way or the other.

Southwest doesn't exist to serve people that work for large corporations with travel departments. If someone is flying business or first to Europe, they aren't going to bother flying domestically on a 737 loaded with college students, old people, families with crying children, and salesmen working for small companies.

I'm impressed by your photos and condescending attitude.

I work for one of the the largest software companies in the world. Over 60% of our domestic travel is on southwest (it is usually cheaper, and we try to keep resources local). Long haul - coastal travel is split between the more traditional carries and international is split as well.

Hell, I fly over 75 flights a year, and usually end the year with 40-50 of those on SWA, and the rest split between the traditional (delta and American). My theory on travel, if under 3hrs = SWA, anything over that is Delta. Over 6hrs flight I am in business.