WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dick Dale dead!!

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
I just read an article king of the surf guitar has died at 81. For you youngsters his music was all over the movie pulp Fiction.

Dick Dale!!!! A day ago it was Tom Hatten [emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

playdeep

Reaction score
Legendary wrecking crew drummer...Hal Blaine.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
:( Many, many car shows. He was before my time, but a big part of my life had his soundtrack.

Heylam

Reaction score
I remember leaving Newport Harbour and seeing his lion on his upstairs balcony. Great location at the end of the peninsula overlooking the Wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalibuKen

Rockstar Rocks!
Reaction score
Got to see his performance at Viva Las Vegas a few years back and at the Belly Up .great show .great music .

cofooter

Reaction score
Saw him a bunch of times, had tickets to see him last August but could not make it, heard it was a great show, he had a lot of health issues, RIP

Taboma

Reaction score
...Rondezvous Ballroom...

Saw all the 60's surf bands at the Rendezvous. Was a sad night watching it burn in 66' :( Cruizin Newport was just never the same after that. :(:(
Dick Dale was also a regular at the Lake Arrowhead Pavilion outdoor dances during the summers.
Dick Dale Rendezvous BR.jpg

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Wow...

I personally knew Dick as he lived in 29 Palms were I grew up (don’t hold it against me). He was an amazing musician and really was a master of the Kraft. My childhood friend and I use to go out to his house East of town and he gave my buddy guitar lessons for free as he was also a lefty playing a right handed guitar upside down.

He told us endless stories about Jimmy Hendrix (lefty also playing a righty guitar) and showed us pictures for days.

My wife was a big beach/surf person growing up and loved the surf guitar music. When I told her I knew Dick she laughed and called me a lier. That was until we stopped to get gas on our way to Laughlin in 29 Palms and Dick pulled up to the pumps and gave me a hug!!

Truly will miss him and his God given talent. I wish his son Jimmy would get his act together and carry on his legacy.

God speed Mr. Dale.

boatpi

Reaction score
I was a board member of the Huntington Beach International Surfing Museum for 5 years.
He did a number of concerts for the museum and always a great friend.

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I remember leaving Newport Harbour and seeing his lion on his upstairs balcony. Great location at the end of the peninsula overlooking the Wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...Sounds like he was down by Gasoline Alley on the peninsula???...Gasoline Alley is where Walter Gibson created his Automotive masterpieces...

rrrr

Reaction score
Thanks to those that shared the personal memories.

Dale was a great guitarist. He really kicked it hard with his big metalflake Fender Jaguar.

boatpi

Reaction score
If you not have heard them Bob Spickard if the Safarais does a 2 guitar rendition of dicks songs. He is still playing every summer for the museum at Pier Plaza. Do not miss these free concerts or in Surfing Museum parking lot.

C-2

Reaction score
His sound was iconic! Godspeed

C-2

Reaction score
If you not have heard them Bob Spickard if the Safarais does a 2 guitar rendition of dicks songs. He is still playing every summer for the museum at Pier Plaza. Do not miss these free concerts or in Surfing Museum parking lot.

Are the Duo-Tones still playing together at the museum?

Their "Surf Music" unplugged CD is epic.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
He died with his boots on, that's for sure. Never stopped playing gigs. He said he had to play to live....he had big medical bills and shit insurance. Sounded good till the end. RIP Mr. Dale

FreeBird236

Reaction score
My first concert and real influence, saw him at the municipal auditorium in San Bernardino when I was 11, that would have been about 1961.
Rest In Peace Mr. Monsour.:(