I would've moved

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
4EA1F3C3-7E71-4358-9F8A-63F61CE4053A.jpeg

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I don't have 18 minutes to waste, can someone tell me what was in there?

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
So what did they do with them all? Hopefully killed every last one. Rattlesnakes are awful creatures.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
So what did they do with them all? Hopefully killed every last one. Rattlesnakes are awful creatures.
I have a FB acquaintance, local to where I live (Bay Area), he’ll catch them and release them, somewhere. He does reptile shows etc.

rrrr

Reaction score

No, no, no, no! Don't kill Rattlers or any other species of snake, unless failing to do so would result in risk to human life. They should be captured and relocated. If you can't do it safely, call a pro.

The desert food chain doesn't have many links in it. All of the creatures living in that environment are important to its success and growth. The snakes perform the important function of controlling the rodent population.

If the snakes are indiscriminately killed, it will upset the natural balance of the desert. Rodent, lizard, bird and large insect groups will be free to multiply, and they in turn will cause crop damage which could have significant effect on the income of ranchers and farmers.

Always hunt responsibly. Make an effort before you go to find out which animal populatations are being stressed, and if you, the hunter, can help the endagered animals. Last week I related my story of killing a young bobcat while deer hunting. While it was legal, I had no intention of harvesting the meat, and so killed the animal for no reason. I felt sick and remorseful afterwards, which did nothing to right the error I had made.

Hunting is a practice you should feel honored to participate in. You are allowed the freedom to carry a weapon, so make sure you earn that honor by conducting yourself in a manner that the ancestors who roamed the land would recognize as responsible and caring.

Use the time you hunt to attune yourself with nature. It's a very rewarding feeling.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
No, no, no, no! Don't kill Rattlers or any other species of snake, unless failing to do so would result in risk to human life. They should be captured and relocated. If you can't do it safely, call a pro.

The desert food chain doesn't have many links in it. All of the creatures living in that environment are important to its success and growth. The snakes perform the important function of controlling the rodent population.

If the snakes are indiscriminately killed, it will upset the natural balance of the desert. Rodent, lizard, bird and large insect groups will be free to multiply, and they in turn will cause crop damage which could have significant effect on the income of ranchers and farmers.

Always hunt responsibly. Make an effort before you go to find out which animal populatations are being stressed, and if you, the hunter, can help the endagered animals. Last week I related my story of killing a young bobcat while deer hunting. While it was legal, I had no intention of harvesting the meat, and so killed the animal for no reason. I felt sick and remorseful afterwards, which did nothing to right the error I had made.

Hunting is a practice you should feel honored to participate in. You are allowed the freedom to carry a weapon, so make sure you earn that honor by conducting yourself in a manner that the ancestors who roamed the land would recognize as responsible and caring.

Use the time you hunt to attune yourself with nature. It's a very rewarding feeling.

I spent some time with a Southern CA County Parks and Rec department in the natural areas division. Pretty familiar with ecosystems and food chains. Handled a lot of snakes too. Rattlesnakes in populated areas are a threat to human (and pet) life. Eliminating them from populated areas will have little to no effect on the ecosystem in general as there are still plenty of them in unpopulated areas still doing their job. What rodent increase in populated areas that may occur is typically handled by additional human intervention to eliminate those as well (except in BigBore500R's case), which offsets the absence of the rattlesnakes.

Relocating large amounts of rattlesnakes to a particular area of wilderness could actually unbalance the ecosystem in that area as well by over concentrating the population, potentially forcing them back into populated areas and/or causing the total absence of what was once their prey in that area.

Hunting them down in the wilderness is a different story and in that case I'd agree with the information you posted since there would be no further human intervention beyond that to balance the equation. If they aren't a threat, then leave them alone.

Other snakes are harmless to humans and should be left alone, but rattlesnakes in populated areas (such as under a building) are a safety hazard and need to go.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My summer spent Drilling water wells in the reclamation area west of Tucson proper led me to conclude that there is NO shortage of rattlesnakes in the desert.
I don’t think man could kill enough of them to impact nature’s balance at all.
It’s one thing to go out into the desert and kill them, it’s quite another thing to kill them under your house.
When you continuously release any creature into “the wild”, especially at those types of numbers, you are in fact pushing that population outward from the center, and contributing to an imbalance and exacerbating their human contact.
These aren’t constrictors or bull snakes, these are one of the most deadly creatures in the Country.
Those 45 snakes can kill the entire human population in that nieghblrhood many times over, let alone just the people in that house.

Granted, I’ll bet they’ve never had a mouse or rat problem...

rrrr

Reaction score
I spent some time with a Southern CA County Parks and Rec department in the natural areas division. Pretty familiar with ecosystems and food chains. Handled a lot of snakes too. Rattlesnakes in populated areas are a threat to human (and pet) life.

I disagree with your statement. With a few exceptions, rattlesnakes are timid creatures that avoid contact with humans. They will flee when a human disturbs them.

They will most assuredly defend themselves, and a rattlesnake bite is serious business. But educating humans when and where the snakes will be found, and what to do when that happens, makes it unlikely a bite will occur. I knew that information by the time I was five years old, and I came across rattlers at least two or three times every summer while growing up in the desert. It was no big deal.

Dogs can be trained to avoid snakes, and watching your pet closely when the weather begins to warm up will help keep it safe from a random bite. Dogs shouldn't be allowed to run free in snake country until checking the area out.

There are times when killing the snake is unavoidable, but the nonsense of screaming, running around, and grabbing a shovel to kill a rattlesnake (or any snake for that matter) for no reason is a pretty crappy response IMO.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I disagree with your statement. With a few exceptions, rattlesnakes are timid creatures that avoid contact with humans. They will flee when a human disturbs them.

They will most assuredly defend themselves, and a rattlesnake bite is serious business. But educating humans when and where the snakes will be found, and what to do when that happens, makes it unlikely a bite will occur. I knew that information by the time I was five years old, and I came across rattlers at least two or three times every summer while growing up in the desert. It was no big deal.

Dogs can be trained to avoid snakes, and watching your pet closely when the weather begins to warm up will help keep it safe from a random bite. Dogs shouldn't be allowed to run free in snake country until checking the area out.

There are times when killing the snake is unavoidable, but the nonsense of screaming, running around, and grabbing a shovel to kill a rattlesnake (or any snake for that matter) for no reason is a pretty crappy response IMO.

So you're saying attempting to educate everybody (including dogs) and then hoping something doesn't happen is better than eliminating the threat entirely so something for sure doesn't happen? That sounds like hope as a tactic to me.

If killing a snake lessens the chance that one of my dogs or a family member will suffer as a result of a bite from one, then I'm happy to do so...No screaming and running around required.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
So you're saying attempting to educate everybody (including dogs) and then hoping something doesn't happen is better than eliminating the threat entirely so something for sure doesn't happen? That sounds like hope as a tactic to me.

If killing a snake lessens the chance that one of my dogs or a family member will suffer as a result of a bite from one, then I'm happy to do so...No screaming and running around required.

Yep.
45 snakes under a house is not 45 snakes living in the desert oblivious to man.
What it means is that they are already encroaching due to an over abundance in their natural habitat.
They are looking for a nice comfy place to den up with easy food.
Sorry, those snakes are dead meat in my book.
That doesn’t mean I have a snake phobia or am running around panicking with a hoe in a snake killing frenzy, it means there are too many snakes and they need thinned out.
Relocating them at that point is not responsible. You are merely forcing the margins further outward.

Last edited:

dribble

Reaction score
I used to live and ride my horses around and area known as Rattlesnake BAR on Folsom lake. There are literally thousands of them there. I did train my dogs to stay away from them when out on the trail. I usually found two or three on my property per year. I would catch and release the timid ones. I would shoot or otherwise kill the aggressive ones. I did not have a rodent problem there.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

<---Crappy person

Only good snake is a dead snake in my book.