WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Not sure how to feel...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Not too sure how to feel about all this. This afternoon my Grandpa passed away. He was the one that was really responsible for all of my family being motorheads to one degree or another. He started our dirt bike affliction as well as the boating affliction. That started with my grandparents taking my dad and later my aunt to Kinders Camp with their 16' Gausti. That then changed to Pine Flats with their Spectra 20 V-drive when they bought a place there. That's where the boating bug bit me when I was a very little boy.

That was all 2nd to his original passion though of hot rodding. He was around all the west coast originals. Alex Xydias was one of his good friends (founder of So Cal Speed Shop). He was in the same age group as Prudhome and Ivo and all the others. The history and fraction of knowledge he had that he shared with us with always amazed and impressed me.

He came from such a modest background and worked so hard to provide for his family and was pretty damn successful at it. I do not believe my brothers and I would be half the men we are now without the example and guidance he provided us.
IMG_20190324_155930_382.jpeg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss FL, not going to lie to ya, it broke me up pretty bad for a while when I lost mine.

Sounds like he was a rad grandpa, you were lucky!

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Sounds like you had an awesome grandpa. I had a pair of awesome grandpas as well, who were responsible for my family and I being the gearheads we are today.

I lost one of them when I was ~21, and another when I was ~29. I wasn't sure how to feel at the time either, and honestly I still don't. To this day, 15 yrs later, I will randomly think of something and think to myself "I need to call grandpa!..." then realize its not possible.

Sorry for your loss.

--Jeff

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a great man who lived a full life.

You are lucky to have had that relationship with him!

But the sense of loss is clearly overwhelming to you. Be strong my man. Be strong.

RichL

Reaction score
Sounds like a great guy. Very sorry for your loss. RIP

Rondog4405

Reaction score
What a great influence to have growing up.. Sorry for your loss

rrrr

Reaction score
My condolences to you.

A Grandpa has a special place in the lives of his grandchildren. He can share his wisdom without being pedantic. He can offer advice about fishing, working on cars, and girlfriends, and the kid knows it won't be preachy like his dad might make it.

If there's a bit of trouble, Grandpa can usually figure a way out of it without involving dad. Of course, Grandpa isn't going to keep quiet if it's something the parent should know, but even then he'll try to smooth it over.

So I'm really sorry you lost your mentor and confidant. It's a big blow.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Sorry for your lose FL and RIP to your Gpa
Both mine passed before I was born. I spend as much time as possible with my two grandchildren.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I can tell you how I'd want to feel, but don't know for sure.
Be happy you had the time you did, but sad the time has passed.

I had no grandfather in my life, just stories. My wife had no father in her life, and mine passed when my oldest two were just babies, so they are without grandparents all together now...and my oldest is just 15.

Losing family is a kick in the teeth. It hurts like hell. If you didn't enjoy the time you had with them, the pain wouldn't be so great. It's a messed up mix of emotions, when you find yourself both laughing at a memory, with a tear in your eye. Good luck, be proud. Still try to make him proud.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss F.L. Gramps sounds like he was an awesome guy.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Was at a Mass and "memorial BBQ" yesterday ... concentrate on the good times and good memories

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome man who lived a full life. Sorry for your loss. He will be with you forever. Especially when you go to show your kids something that he showed you. Those moments always leave smile on my face

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your thoughts and sentiments. I really appreciate it.

I keep looking at that picture I posted and so many thoughts run through my head. One thing that has kind of bugged me the last couple few years is that my grandpa wasn't much of a sentimental man. Im not really aware or much of anything they have that was from his father even. Let alone further back than that. Nor did he share much about his family and he was an only child. I feel like that quarter of my ancestors is pretty much missing and even when we would ask about his parents and grandparents and such, he wouldn't share much. Because of that, I'd really like to get a few of his things for memory sake. One of the things my brothers and I would have loved and would have been honored to share amongst us 3 is the '39 Ford in that picture. We all helped him build it when we were little and it had a very special spot in our hearts. But sentimental did lend much value to him so he sold it about a year ago. He did keep the '26 T that he built back in the early 90's I believe and that had been in the family for decades. The T is now my Dad's and will be passed down to us. It's just not the same attachment as the 39 was though (most of my memories and best experiences with him are around hot rodding and their cars having been the center of those memories).

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Sorrry to hear of your loss. Grandparents can be a great addition to your family dynamic. I know that it was great to have them in my life. Sounds like yours was even more fun with the mechanical side of things.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
When mine died, I kept telling myself, his pain is gone.( he had a massive stroke and 11 days before he died)

I am not religious, by any means, but if there is an after life, I know he is pain free, his mental capabilities have returned and he is at peace. I lost him about 5 years before his death when he had a massive heart attack and started a fast downward spiral of dementia.

Not a day goes by I don't think if him. I have so many memories that are triggered by things I use every day.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, hang onto the memories which I know you will. Miss my grandfather still today and I’m 62, great influence in my life. This was my moms dad. My dads father passed after he saw me at 7 months old.

Socalx09

Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. I’m sure you’ll pass on the knowledge he gave to you.

locogringo

Yo Mama
Reaction score
Always stinks losing someone close to you. No words can touch the feelings you are going through, but my greatest condolences to you for your loss.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
You feel every emotion brother and to hell with anyone who gives you hell over it. Rejoice that you had him, morn that you lost him but most of all carry on the spirt he gave you and never forget.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Your entitilted to feel any way you want. That simple. Sometimes it takes time to see clearly and what it all means.

RIP Gramps. Looks like you left a solid lineage. Well done.

cole_skier

Reaction score
Sorry your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cakemoto

Reaction score
Man I’m so sorry cuz.text me if your still coming this way.

MotiV8

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.

That '39 is sweet! It's too bad that it left your family, but you and your brothers will be able to hold the memories forever!

waterhorse

Reaction score
Very cool Grandpa, and great memories and lessons too.

charlyox

Reaction score
My deepest condolences. He sounds like a great man.

gqchris

Reaction score
FL, sorry for your loss sir.

Men like your Grandpa are leaving behind a legacy that most younger folks dont even care about anymore.

I feel it is our job as the next generation to pass this on to our kids! Mine are all exposed to the motorhead lifestyle. Boating, Offroading, Camping, Car Shows, Drag Racing.

Sometimes they hate going, but later in life, I hope they will thank me for taking them away from their mobile devices just for a short time.

RIP Sir.

Hammer

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Kevin, give your pops a hug for me... [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkmoney

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss ...circle of life , and you and your family are in my thoughts

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk