WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lighting header plumbing

LincolnCraft

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought my 22 day cruiser last season, started working on it again. I pulled the stock 454 and log exhaust system out and bought a nicer built big block and a set of lighting headers. I was wondering before I screw something up how everyone here has their water lines plumbed?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Injected or water jacketed headers.
Makes a difference.

Logs and snails, jet bote? The drive makes a difference on how much water is available for use.

Dan'l

LincolnCraft

Reaction score
Injected or water jacketed headers.
Makes a difference.

Logs and snails, jet bote? The drive makes a difference on how much water is available for use.

Dan'l
They are water jacketed. It’s a vdrive with a th400 trans

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Water jacketed, nice

I would imagine what used to go to the snails (if it had them) now would go to the headers.

Does the th400 have a water cooled oil cooler? How about the big block, oil cooler too?

From water pick-up> to oil cooler(s)> to water pump (raw water pump)> to water ports on front of block> out t-stat housing> tee'd to right and left headers.

There are other ways to do it too.

Dan'l

aaronschiada

Reaction score
Usually the exhaust is the where the water leaves the motor and exits the boat, unless you are running dry exhaust, then you would exit some place through a port out of the side if the hull. So basically, the exhaust would be the tail end of the plumbing leaving the motor. Your oil cooler, trans cooler, shaft log, and v-drive cooling lines would be separate from the motor cooling system.

Gripside80

Reaction score
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/imco-exhaust-plumbing-questions.91284/

From river or lake into exhaust manifolds then from manifolds in to the motor (where timing cover is) then out of motor (where thermostat housing is) then in to exhaust or exhaust tailpipes depending on your setup and out the back of boat. You’re basically preheating the water through your exhaust manifolds before it enters your block. It’s all covered in the link I sent you above.

Last edited:

motormonkey

Reaction score
Lightning has the plumbing diagram on website. Boatheaders.Com
Need lots of water flow, I used a river rat pump per Jan recommend with 871 blower.