I want a flat bottom as a small second boat. Which drive

XClutchboy725

Reaction score
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0789.JPG
Legitimate 90 MPH Cruiser...
IMG_0115.JPG

Takes 800 hp and a lot of pump and bottom work to get there though!

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
So it’s just a direct drive to the V casssete then? How the fuck do you dock. Grab an oar

I loved reading this, "how do you dock" having grown up at McIntyre in my Dads 18' long deck Mandella it brings back a lot of memories. In and out of the narrow inlet he never took it out of gear, just felt like everybody else should get out of the way, LOL. The noise we created really was a commanding presence, people moved. Once or twice we got too close to an incoming boat and Dad shut it down. As the other boat kept approaching my brother and I quickly looked at Dad with a "what do we do" look and he'd say, "GET YER A$$ UP THERE!" meaning to the nose of the boat, LOL. Not everybody knew how a v-drive handled but he expected or assumed that everybody did.

Dock approach or beach approach? Brother or I would scoot up to the nose on close approach, he'd shut her down and coast after final turn of the wheel and after we pulled the earplugs we'd look back and say, "do we jump in?" He'd reply with, "whatever you have to do so the boat doesn't get scratched!" LOL! We knew he was kidding, somewhat, he did love us more than the Mandella but it was close second.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
i want a bote, do I want a jet or v drive given the same price point. What are pros and cons. I only speak stern drives

Same price point? v-drive, all the way.

Pros? WAY faster. WAY better on fuel. WAY more fun. WAY more cool. Nothing better to ski behind. Nothing more fun on a piece of glass water.

Cons? A v-drive is not something you can't just kick back and drive. You have to be 100% focused, 100% of the time. You'll need to have someone teach you how to (properly) drive it, how to use the pedals, the plate and all that. It's not a shallow water boat, you'll need to be careful at all times. No neutral. No reverse. You have to learn how to manage the docs and getting it on the trailer, takes a LOT of practice, especially on the river with current.

Me personally, you couldn't pay me to own a jet bote. But, with that being said...............................................

I WOULD own a California Performance Jet hull all day, and twice on Sunday. But, you'll have to move your budget up a few notches. Bad azz jet boats for sure. In my worthless opinion, there is NO other jet boat TO own.

P.S. You truly ARE comparing apples to oranges here. They are both totally different types of boats. Just giving you My Personal feelings on your question is all.

P.P.S. Some of the comments in this thread are ummmmm, amazing. I would take them with a HUGE grain of salt.

braindead

Reaction score
Like others have said, what do you wanna do with it?

U can throw a forklift tranny in it for F-N-R to save some weight and get reverse. Some guys claim they can steer there v drive in reverse, as can I, as long as it's to the left.

V drives can be fast with just an engine
Jets can be fast with an engine and pump work

Both handle rough water differently and both drive differently, if you can wrent a wreck and drive each boat that's your best bet, cuz right now all u did was start another Chevy vs ford debate

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
My take and I've spent ample time in both...number one..if you have reverse in a v-drive..it is basically to stop the boat on approach...never would you back one up trying to steer it. A velvet drive tranny in a flatbottom ski boat is really perfect for skiing, and by the way..they have neutral. Driving a v-drive is an experience that most don't forget...they are like a slot car..steering input and they move instantly...so fricken fun. Anything with turning fin and propeller and rudder respond well..and whoever said you need to be up on the wheel in a flatty is crazy...if you want to run from a dead stop to 90..yes..but my wifes boat has no pedal and I never touch the plate handle..from rough to smooth and 20-75 mph..don't have to move anything. Sit back and enjoy. I take my flatty from Needles Marina Park to Havasu Springs every year..and it's a blast to do...

D19

Reaction score
I WOULD own a California Performance Jet hull all day, and twice on Sunday. But, you'll have to move your budget up a few notches. Bad azz jet boats for sure. In my worthless opinion, there is NO other jet boat TO own.

P.P.S. Some of the comments in this thread are ummmmm, amazing. I would take them with a HUGE grain of salt.

Really?

Daytonas, TPRs, Placecrafts, Southwind Tunnels and Cheyennes are superior boats. The tunnels I mentioned will all outrun and out handle a CP Gullwing or CP Tunnel all day and any day. CPs usually have to be super light to run big numbers and get sketchy over 100mph, especially the CP tunnel.

CP is a nice boat and they run well, but they are not the best performance jet to own if performance is your goal. That's where personal preference and purpose comes into play.

I agree that some of the comments in this thread should be taken with a grain of salt.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
OK...Jet Boats...spend money on pump placement and intake and pump itself...you can have a bad ass boat...Scott Kornowski and Tom Peterson, Jack at MPD and of course B1 pumps have that stuff all figured out. But I'm talking serious dough..Steering in a jet boat is nothing like a v-drive IMO...it's vague...that split second after you turn the wheel...and it feels like a long time before boat responds...IMO, to me it feels that the boat is "on top" of the water and not "in it"...I hope that makes sense. Maybe it would be better to say "the boat feels like its capable of spinning out" when you turn them"...Now in all fairness...I have been a v-drive dude my whole life...but have driven many jets...and its all my opinion..

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The OP is looking for a second boat for Parker. Has zero time in a v-drive flatty.
Is a stout flatty really the right choice?
Like Barry said, when can you even put it on the water?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
OK...Jet Boats...spend money on pump placement and intake and pump itself...you can have a bad ass boat...Scott Kornowski and Tom Peterson, Jack at MPD and of course B1 pumps have that stuff all figured out. But I'm talking serious dough..Steering in a jet boat is nothing like a v-drive IMO...it's vague...that split second after you turn the wheel...and it feels like a long time before boat responds...IMO, to me it feels that the boat is "on top" of the water and not "in it"...I hope that makes sense. Maybe it would be better to say "the boat feels like its capable of spinning out" when you turn them"...Now in all fairness...I have been a v-drive dude my whole life...but have driven many jets...and its all my opinion..

X2.

I Can't stand driving a squirt gun.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I would take a flatty over a jet any day at Parker..Now, with that being said...if you know how to drive a flatty..(I mean in rough water) then you would be fine. The jet at 18' is no caddy in rough water..honestly, I have messed my back up worse in a jet..it's all personal. For him and his situation it may be a jet..

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Does a jet handle different then a wave runner does. Have lots and lots of time o. Seadoo 255s

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Do Berkley jets have reverse. I’m assuming it has a reverse plate like a ski does?

D19

Reaction score
Will 500 hp get 50s or 60s on a jet

For sure, but all depends on boat and set up. I have owned two super heavy, poorly set up (stock) 21 foot ski boats that ran 60 with stock big blocks (400hp).

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Ok I’d be happy with 60s to be honest.

Again this is the little boat to the cig. Something I can safely go in the shallows and something that doesn’t take as many sober people to deal with getting on and off the water. Jet is the choice then as v drive sounds like bullshit expect it’s faster.

MOUZER

Reaction score
tunnell jet ran 75 all day long in the shallows in my garage for the family and a blown 2 seater hydro on my lawn for guys trips.........

DSCI0197.JPG

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
These days?

What has changed in a jet in 40 years? ;) Looolllllllllllllllllllllllsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Post up speeds.
Honestly alot, not so much for Berkeley as their parts are quite similar to what they first produced in 1964 , Other drive manufacturers and suppliers have made significant improvements , changes and mods .. as for HP and jets we build jets for 700 to 1k regularly , take a look at the stats from NJBA, jets leave hard and times /speeds rival their V drive counterparts .... To the OP, V drives tend to have more "rigging" and tend to be a bit more complicated with a greater learning curve , Jets are user/DIY friendly , simple to own and maintain , entry levels Jet boat projects can be reasonable and alot of fun

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
This thread is a mess. There are so many variations in just the types of jets and v-drives and none of that is defined in here. An old 60’s fixed plate flat is worlds apart from a single seat blown alcohol flat and we still have circle hulls, cruisers and GN type boats to consider. Jets come in several types of hulls and configurations as well. Unless the op answers the questions on usage you can’t possibly give a good recommendation.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
This thread is a mess. There are so many variations in just the types of jets and v-drives and none of that is defined in here. An old 60’s fixed plate flat is worlds apart from a single seat blown alcohol flat and we still have circle hulls, cruisers and GN type boats to consider. Jets come in several types of hulls and configurations as well. Unless the op answers the questions on usage you can’t possibly give a good recommendation.
Educate me please

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Honestly alot, not so much for Berkeley as their parts are quite similar to what they first produced in 1964 , Other drive manufacturers and suppliers have made significant improvements , changes and mods .. as for HP and jets we build jets for 700 to 1k regularly , take a look at the stats from NJBA, jets leave hard and times /speeds rival their V drive counterparts .... To the OP, V drives tend to have more "rigging" and tend to be a bit more complicated with a greater learning curve , Jets are user/DIY friendly , simple to own and maintain , entry levels Jet boat projects can be reasonable and alot of fun
Who else builds drives and who is the best now

jetboatperformance

Reaction score

RCL named off several notables a few posts back , We have been building Jets and Hy-briding drives as well as innovating and developing new products for fast approaching 30 years , There are dozens of "garage operations" out there as well to consider , One thing that makes us a bit different is that we also own the tooling for and make/manufacture our own bowls, shafts, impellers , suctions , wear rings , droops, nozzles, trims
etc , we dont simply build from reseller parts

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
V-drive sounds like bullshit."
Yep you're a jet boater.lol

x1000

This right here confirms it...

Something I can safely go in the shallows and something that doesn’t take as many sober people to deal with getting on and off the water.

Jet boter for sure. :thumbup:

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Ok I’d be happy with 60s to be honest.

Again this is the little boat to the cig. Something I can safely go in the shallows and something that doesn’t take as many sober people to deal with getting on and off the water. Jet is the choice then as v drive sounds like bullshit expect it’s faster.
Well, you kind of through us off with the 10-71 blower comment.
If you’re just looking for a 60-70mph cruiser to go out and have fun with, I think you could look for either and be fine. And have plenty of options to shop. Just depends on your budget.
The area around Needles does get shallow. It’s a matter of opinion what people would drive up that way.

Yes, I would say a jet boat has a very similar sensation to driving the jet ski. I’ve never been in a vdrive so I don’t know how that would differ.
You might have a bit more room in a jet.
I think some v-drives have neutral? Jets do not but you can control it with the reverse bucket.
Are you looking for something with potential to be fast?
Do you need something that has a good ride (rougher water like a Parker afternoon)?
Are you looking for a super clean ride or beater so you won’t have to worry about anything?
Do you want to be able to reach out the side and feel the water, something with low freeboard? Or a bit taller, cruiser style?

MOUZER

Reaction score
ok he said he wants a boat to run the shallows and put a 871 blower on it.....................no old flatties.....so no flattie experience..u guys want him to run the river in a blown t deck runnerbottom or a nice simi fast safer jet boat...........go with the jet boat...........im just going buy what he said....not my personal choice but if he was my son i would feel better......weekends r a crap shoot for using a flatty..maybe early morn or eve unless u gotta old 60s hi freeboard ol flat.......week days r about it for use...

MOUZER

Reaction score
now when u get both together on a weekend at avi.............................

MOUZER

Reaction score
argggggggggggggggggggggggggg if your running the river and u have 2 or 3 ft water all of sudden or a sand bar............i want a jet boat........im done u guys are all over the place.........................lol

1 he said shallow water
2 he said 871 blower
3 he can actually use all day.............

Rjt01

Reaction score
Not
I always thought it was driving along the highway, alongside the river, on the trailer, like the natural environment of a Schiada, the baddest boat of all time. ;)
mine bro my little Schiada runs in water only lol

gqchris

Reaction score
now when u get both together on a weekend at avi.............................
Awesome, I make a couple appearances in this one in my old Jet. Met alot of cool peeps that trip!

77charger

Reaction score
Dollar for dollar a v drive will be quicker and faster.

Now a jet can be set up to be a fun 100 mph boat a tunnel,cp gull wing,place craft. But will need a property set up pump.

I myself after driving some quick and fast flats would prefer b drive.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
buy a jetbote......put your 600 hp motor in it and get beat down by a beater 450hp vdrive flat. lolloollllllllllllollllllllllllllllllsssssssssssssssss :)
or a 200hp wacker...and set up right, the wacker needs less water than the squirt boat

HST4ME

Reaction score
Depends what hull your looking at , Action, Hydrostreams and the like low/mid 80's + with a couple people. STV's Mirages, Quartershots and other air packers 3-5 more.