WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any tips for getting soot off of transom?

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
When I first got my boat I was babying it and I wasn’t getting that much soot on the transom and it was coming off no problem with hot sauce boat spray. Now that I’m running the piss out of it the transom is covered with soot and won’t come off with the same spray. Any ideas?

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
You mean like a downturned outlet? The exhaust is already under the swimsteps.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Thanks for getting sauced! Appreciate the support.

Transom soot is tough. It usually takes harsh chemicals or degreasers to remove it which tend to strip wax and the cycle continues...

Best option we've found is to apply a good coat of wax on the transom beforehand. If you're happy with the Sauce and want to stick with our line check out Quickie Sauce wax. A coat should last about 3-4 months.

The montan wax blend dries extremely hard and holds up well in the water. For best results apply at least 24 hours ahead of time so it can fully cure. 2 coats would be even better on the transom.

On a well waxed surface, a mist & wipe of Hot Sauce should wipe away the soot without issue.

-Zack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD D05

Reaction score

Yes under the water, it helped a little on mine. But really what BB posted get the boat polished and that will help a lot.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Ok any tips on getting it clean before I apply the wax? That stuff is ON there!!!

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Ok any tips on getting it clean before I apply the wax? That stuff is ON there!!!
IMO - lightest duty degreaser you can get away with. Harsh chemicals may provide fast results but can cause issues down the road if overspray gets on interior, rubrail, hardware, etc.

As mentioned before, Simple Green is a good option. Then go on the offensive with a quality wax.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

-Zack

relaxalot

Reaction score
The best thing I have found that still leaves wax on is called Z-Best wax. I bought it at an auto show. You can buy it Amazon. It is a cleaner wax and takes the soot right off. It leaves a wax surface.. easier to clean off just using sauce. You can strip off with simple green but it strips everything off. The zbest product is super easy to take off and wipes off the soot quick.

farmo83

Reaction score
Simple Green and hull cleaner have worked for me. I just try to be careful with hull cleaner and get it on as little as possible. As has been said waxing it is good for preventative.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I used to use the "Tough Stuff" foaming cleaner that comes in a can. Worked really well. Won't leave any wax behind though so you'll need to reapply.

If you're running 87 and still having that problem, might be a good idea to have the engine scanned and see if you can identify why it's running so rich.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Thanks for getting sauced! Appreciate the support.

Transom soot is tough. It usually takes harsh chemicals or degreasers to remove it which tend to strip wax and the cycle continues...

Best option we've found is to apply a good coat of wax on the transom beforehand. If you're happy with the Sauce and want to stick with our line check out Quickie Sauce wax. A coat should last about 3-4 months.

The montan wax blend dries extremely hard and holds up well in the water. For best results apply at least 24 hours ahead of time so it can fully cure. 2 coats would be even better on the transom.

On a well waxed surface, a mist & wipe of Hot Sauce should wipe away the soot without issue.

-Zack

Zack,

Side stepping a little...... Can you guys come up with something that can help remove dead bugs that have been hit on trucks/cars, ect. Had a hell of a time getting dead bugs off the motor home after it sat for a few days camping at pirates cove. Would have been nice to have some bug dissolver.... lol

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
What I have found that works the best is $.99 store Awesome orange. It's a citrus based cleaner. Just spray it on and let it sit in direct sunlight for a while the hose it off. For really stubborn stains your have to use a mild abrasive and for that I would use Mr. Clean magic eraser, it's less abrasive then most cleansers or rubbing compounds.
As others have said, once it is good and clean use a good quality marine wax (like Boat Bling) and a quick detailer spray every time you pull it out of the water.

Last edited:

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
1556568073080685960443.jpg
I just did this last week and ended up using Super Clean(in the purple spray bottle) and then re waxed. Also used some On & Off hull cleaner on parts of it. It is real strong and also gets off all the yellowing below the water line. it will also clean your driveway.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
have you tried a claybar? they're GREAT at gettin bonded contaminants out of paint/gelcoat (gelcoat is super porous) without removing the surface like a wax or compound.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Zack,

Side stepping a little...... Can you guys come up with something that can help remove dead bugs that have been hit on trucks/cars, ect. Had a hell of a time getting dead bugs off the motor home after it sat for a few days camping at pirates cove. Would have been nice to have some bug dissolver.... lol
Funny you mention that. The bugs are out in force this year and we massacred our share towing to the last couple events.

I put a coat of wax on Tues night before Desert Storm trip last week and bugs cleaned up almost effortlessly. Which was good because it was 100+ during street fair setup and cleaning off dead bugs was pretty low on my priority list lol

-Zack
20190408_125431.jpg
20190423_165812.jpg
20190423_170635.jpg

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I know there will be those that will laugh and others will cringe, but this was our preparation and cleaning procedure/ritual when my dad and I were offshore racing back in the 1970s. Two hand-pump squirt bottles filled with a 50/50 mixture of kerosene/coal oil and water (Kerosene was readily available at most gas stations back then and was about 22 cents a gallon). On the launch ramp (and 95+% of the time we were launching in salt water) we each took a side and applied a liberal amount of the 50/50 mix to the hull, transom, rub rail, trailer, rims, leaf springs, etc. before the boat ever touched the water (it took about 2 to 2-1/2 minutes to do the entire boat and trailer).

Then, when the boat came out of the water, we immediately (before anything had a chance to dry) the hull and trailer got squirted with another liberal layer of 50/50 mix. After that it was off to the nearest fresh water wash-down area – hose the boat and trailer thoroughly (about 90% of the transom soot just rinsed off without touching it) – then it was a damp rag and dry rag wipe down – no water spots and no residue transom soot. It was usually about a one-hour cleaning for the two of us.

If you’re curious, the hull was fiberglass/gelcoat – the deck was wood, glassed and then painted. Never detailed – we did all the waxing ourselves. After nearly 7 years, no rust (boat or trailer), no gelcoat fade. I understand the boat is still around today and will celebrate a 50th birthday next year.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Don't use the boat. Problem solved. :)

When I first got my boat I was babying it and I wasn’t getting that much soot on the transom and it was coming off no problem with hot sauce boat spray. Now that I’m running the piss out of it the transom is covered with soot and won’t come off with the same spray. Any ideas?

milkmoney

Reaction score
Dont be a cock holster and drive your boat like you stole it ....lol [emoji39][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Use Scrubbing Bubbles on the transom and spray Prestone windshield washer fluid in a spray bottle on the bugs on the front end. Spray it on liberally, let it sit for a minute and wash it off with your carwash sponge.

guest hs

Reaction score
Take it to a merc dealer and have it reflashed with the latest update.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

Super Clean...it works on everything. it's like $8.00 per gallon at Walmart. Spray it on while it's dry...give it five minutes, a lite scrub with a soft brush...hose it off. Spotless

superclean.png

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
WD40 helped take it off mine.
Only happened one time, stick down with a big load. Boat was running real wet with 4 well grown adults in bow seatso_O:).
Learn-ed not to do that again:cool:

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I have underwater (S) pipes and a stock 496. Also has muffler cans, so the outlet is pretty far away from the transom even when on plane. My transom is surprisingly clean.

DWC

Reaction score
What gas are you running? If you’re running over 87 and/or dropping in some additives it’ll make a mess. I’d take it to steak and lobster and have it coated or spend some time cutting/Buffing and get coats on coats of wax on it.

Sunset

Reaction score
Krud Kutter

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I just did the same thing yesterday. I used the xtreme foam gun with the xtreme suds, came right off. Hot sauce is cool and the boat mist from xtreme is cool but neither are meant to clean the boat. There ok for a quick wipe down if you went out on Saturday and are going out on sunday. I have messed with all the detail cleaners and washing the boat gives the best results. If you use that hot sauce for a few days the boat has a grime on it so the soot and transom will as well. Not knocking any of the sprays but there not effective in cleaning the boat just getting water spots off. The old school guys laughed there asses off when I got my first boat and bought the sauce. He used zip wax car wash and a little vinegar.