WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Auto/boat (12v) electrical class...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for years...

How many of you guys would be interested in a class on 12v electrical systems?

I could do it at our shop. We could cover the basics that everyone should know...

How to diagnose a charging/starting system...

How relays work, and when to use them...

How to properly cut/crimp/heat shrink wire/cable end...

How to create a wiring diagram from scratch (for installing amps and accessories and shit)....

Basically how to figure out why your shit won't start, and what to do about it! LoL

Our shop is in Irwindale. I was thinking a Saturday afternoon and lunch would be provided, and maybe send you home with a volt meter, and some knowledge of how to use it. :)

Any interest?

What would you Like to learn?

Lemme know or just tell me to fuck off. Either one works! :D

https://rettsautomotive.com/

waterhorse

Reaction score
I'm interested, I'm also a bit electrically challenged because I'm colorblind.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
star-brite-electrical-tape-084105n-64_1000.jpg

This and keep trying bigger fuses if they keep popping is all one needs to know :)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm interested, I'm also a bit electrically challenged because I'm colorblind.

This is where good wiring diagrams come into play...

When I was shop foreman at Longo, one of my techs was color blind, but I didn't know...

We are working on a problem car together, he's under the dash, and I'm telling him to check the blue wire in the white 10 pin connector....

Him, what pin number is it?

Me, don't worry it's the only blue wire in that connector

Him, what pin number is it??

Dude! There is only one blue wire!

Him, dude....

I'm color blind.

Me, silence.

It's pin 8 bro. Sorry.

(I felt like an ass, still do).

Lessons learned.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
That's awesome for you to offer such a service
I have the basics but always willing to learn more
I just installed an air horn on my rzr. It came with a relay and prewired plug.
After searching the intermet and finding a half dozen different ways to wire a simple relay i ended up cutting a couple wires on the plug to make it right
Good luck!

redone76

Reaction score

When I was shop foreman at Longo, one of my techs was color blind, but I didn't know...

We are working on a problem car together, he's under the dash, and I'm telling him to check the blue wire in the white 10 pin connector....

Him, dude....

I'm color blind.

Me, silence.

It's pin 8 bro. Sorry.

Lessons learned.

That’s funny. I’m color blind and when I worked for GM I said the same thing. Fuck the color...give me a number. Easier to count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Cool Idea. It would be good to get an update it’s been a long time since i was in school. However I doubt I’d be able to make it unless it is the same time that I am on the mainland. What kind of cost are you looking to get for attendees?

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score

Him, dude....

I'm color blind.

Me, silence.

It's pin 8 bro. Sorry.

Lessons learned.
He shoulda told you to fuck off :D

racetrash

Reaction score
I'd like to go, and I've been wiring cars for over 35 years, sounds fun and interesting. No, I'm not that "know it all guy" , just sounds fun!!. And reading those Toyota electrical manuals was fun, when we were using the 3.4 V-6 motors in a lot of the Baja Shop sand cars.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
View attachment 752854
This and keep trying bigger fuses if they keep popping is all one needs to know :)

Why did they change from the glass tubes to the plastic pull pins? The glass was so easy to repair with a good old bubble gum wrapped when they blow. Are you going to teach how to MacGyver the new style fuses?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Why did they change from the glass tubes to the plastic pull pins? The glass was so easy to repair with a good old bubble gum wrapped when they blow. Are you going to teach how to MacGyver the new style fuses?

Uh no...

But I can teach you how to figure out WHY a fuse is blowing. That might be a better fix. :p

And yes, I can teach how to select wire sizes, when, where and how to install fuses, circut breakers, and how to create a fuse link.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Cool Idea. It would be good to get an update it’s been a long time since i was in school. However I doubt I’d be able to make it unless it is the same time that I am on the mainland. What kind of cost are you looking to get for attendees?

Trying to figure that out...

I have a certain DVOM in mind, I'd like to give to the guys, but I'm having a hard time finding it. I'll start looking again ...

rrrr

Reaction score
Uh no...

But I can teach you how to figure out WHY a fuse is blowing. That might be a better fix. :p

And yes, I can teach how to select wire sizes, when, where and how to install fuses, circut breakers, and how to create a fuse link.

It would be good to add DC circuit wire sizing as you said, voltage drop tables, ABYC marine wire color codes (for troubleshooting), and how to properly make up marine grade crimp connectors with adhesive heat shrink insulation.

mothershipper

Reaction score
Troubleshooting Lesson # 1.... if you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Uh no...

Easy peasy replace with a paper clip, screw or other various metal objects depending on load and wire size. I will put a chart together.
All joking aside I do wiring and custom stuff for a living this is a good idea and I would be happy to help

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It would be good to add DC circuit wire sizing as you said, voltage drop tables, ABYC marine wire color codes (for troubleshooting), and how to properly make up marine grade crimp connectors with adhesive heat shrink insulation.

Definitely part of the plan.

Backlash

Reaction score
Please sign me up for this Joe. I would absolutely be interested. Is this going to be gratis or donation based or are you considering charging a fee?? I don't care I would just like to learn. And thank you in advance!!!

Maestro

Reaction score
I would be interested as well.

Maybe create a basic list of tools and materials to keep handy in case of emergency repair(s)

rrrr

Reaction score
View attachment 752998 Good on you for offering this Mobster. My employer has classes for the same thing. Here’s some of tools I use at work.

I think everyone should have a set of those calibrated crimpers to properly apply the right amount and shape of pressure on the connector, and strippers, like the ones you pictured.

The simple hinged combination crimper-stripper-cutters from AutoZone should go in the trash.

A good flush cutter is needed too, so tie wraps won't have little plastic scalpels that cut the crap outta your hands when digging around under a dash.

Last edited:

rickym20

Reaction score
I think everyone should have a set of those calibrated crimpers to properly apply the right amount and shape of pressure on the connector, and strippers, like the ones you pictured.

The simple hinged combination crimper-stripper-cutters from AutoZone should go in the trash.

A good flush cutter is needed too, so tie wraps won't have little plastic scalpels that cut the crap outta your hands when digging around under a dash.

Going to be honest , as an Ironworker by trade those vatozone crimpers is what I have in my garage. Good reason why I need this class if it happens :D.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Bring your curriculum to Parker in the fall and conduct a class at Tek's.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
here's been my life finding.... for some...the less they know , or think they know... the better,,

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I guess I’m Old School. I always solder all wires together in Marine and Off-road applications.

I’m in for a class and a sammich !

ltbaney1

Reaction score
id be in for this. my sparky skills are lacking. im always afraid to let the magic smoke out. good on you for thinking of something like this.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
I'm interested if the class takes place after the CSR in mid July. I have maybe one free Saturday between now and then.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I would be interested, the commute could be a little tough. We would have to see when it was and if I could find an excuse to head that direction.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
To answer the main questions...

Yes, there would be a fee. Mostly to cover food, drinks, tools, materials, blah blah blah. I'm not looking to get rich on this, so it shouldn't be any kind of huge cost.

I'd like to keep the first class to four to six guys. I've attended tons of automotive classes over the years, and I know from experience, the bigger the class, the less you learn. In a big group, people are afraid to ask questions, cause no one wants to look dumb! Small is good. So you guys can ask all the questions you want, and we will have time to make sure that everyone completely comprehends the answers.

It's not going to be me putting on a lecture, it's going to be you guys getting the answers you want, so you can completely understand the basics.

You know how some guys can fix your shit and make it look easy, and other guys struggle with it? It's because some guys never understood the basics! As in any trade, once you have a rock solid grasp on the basic concepts, it's pretty easy to build on them.

I want to teach you guys to diagnose. That requires a solid understanding of the basics. That's the class I want to put on.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I guess I’m Old School. I always solder all wires together in Marine and Off-road applications.

I’m in for a class and a sammich !

Correctly performed crimps with quality terminals are preferable in high vibration environments. Solder joints tends to crack sometimes under these conditions.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
some of the wiring on here and other forums makes me wonder how peoples boats havent caught fire yet...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Correctly performed crimps with quality terminals are preferable in high vibration environments. Solder joints tends to crack sometimes under these conditions.

or just get the new fancy heat shrink connectors. they're sweet.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited: