WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1974 21’ Eliminator

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Here is my newly acquired day cruiser has sat for 7 years in inside. My uncle bought it brand new and has had it ever since. All my aunts, uncles and my father have skied behind this boat. It is all original down to the blue shag carpet. My father even made the teak swim step for it in his HS wood shop. Only thing is the engine had been rebuild. It is a stroked LS-7 with 990 heads and billet Velasco crack. The pump is a drake and was rebuilt 10 years ago. These Drake flow a lot of water and am not in the least worried about it.

Over the winter I plan to do new upholstery but same exact lay out and design. Color sand and buff the hull as well as address the complete trailer. I’ll post progression pics as well.

I have owned multiple jets before as well as larger V’s and a deck boat. Looking forward to spending time with my wife and young kids on Parker and the lower rivers
IMG_3769.jpg
IMG_3776.jpg
IMG_3120.jpg
IMG_3121.jpg
IMG_3122.jpg
IMG_3123.jpg

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
If you ever decide you have interest in a "Drake swap" JBP has perfected an awesome changeover to A Berkeley or Dominator

Attachments

• drake swap finished.jpeg
    drake swap finished.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 285

wzuber

Reaction score
nice lookin float there big mike. You will have a lot of fun with that boat. I had a 71 with same wood grain with the burnt orange and red color combo. It had a 455 olds w/berk pump and jet-o-vator, same interior layout. Great boat, tons of fun with friends in my early 20's. Good luck with it. I like a bench seat and full engine cover on them myself but that can make the interior feel a little cramped sometimes.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
nice lookin float there big mike. You will have a lot of fun with that boat. I had a 71 with same wood grain with the burnt orange and red color combo. It had a 455 olds w/berk pump and jet-o-vator, same interior layout. Great boat, tons of fun with friends in my early 20's. Good luck with it. I like a bench seat and full engine cover on them myself but that can make the interior feel a little cramped sometimes.

Thank you I am really looking forward to next summer. I agree I had a older Sleek Craft day cruiser and did the bench with full engine cover. It looked great but did cramp the interior. Now that I have little kids I like having a little more room.

Pictured below isn’t old Sleek it was the boat I grew up in. Dad painted it in my uncles garage with paint he had laying around. I put the interior in and an American turbine pump.
IMG_5139.jpg

New boat is right behind it

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Started in on the Eliminator today. Removed the engine and sent it to my engine guy in orange. Removed the interior and rear floor boards. Next will be new carpet and floor since the original shag is shot and the wood has seen better days. Should be able to knock that out in a weekend. Before I put the floor and carpet in I’ll buff and polish the the entire boat.
IMG_4567.jpg
IMG_4563.jpg
IMG_4564.jpg
IMG_7215.jpg

Has anyone seen a Harman Marine Electra-Trim? It’s basically a window motor hooked up to cable that operates the diverter. Wonder if it can be rebuilt my uncle said it stopped working years ago.
IMG_7217.jpg
IMG_7216.jpg

Also found some old soda cans in the seat storage
IMG_7219.jpg

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Cool build , Cragmont lol haven't seen that in years ....

I haven’t even heard of it. Lol

Have you seen many of these Harman electric diverter set ups?

I am thinking I just want to go with a manual set up shouldn’t be that hard to do.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Have seen them yes , used often on Berkley Jet0Vaters , not sure how the mechanical advantage demands are on Drakes relative to manual or electric

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Engine update

Since the engine has a billet velasco crank in it. I took it in and they magged and polished it for free.

Dropped the block off at Clay Smith to have it honed and tanked.

I found a small crack on one of the heads in between the valves. Which I have heard is fairly common on these 990 heads. So I think I am going to pull the trigger on a set of complete World Products heads.

Everything looked great besides the head. And should run pretty strong.

I took the bimini to All American Canvas in Ontario. It needed all new straps. They charge $15 per strap and that is with all new stainless hardware. And the cover also needed a new zipper.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
While the engine will be buttoned up in a week.

I am focusing on re doing the original interior. The wood is in really good shape for its age. The rear jump seats may have to be redone but that’s about it.

View attachment 724106 View attachment 724107

The driver, passengers seats, engine hatch and panels are good.
View attachment 724108 View attachment 724109 View attachment 724110

I am going to go with the original color vinyl which is pearl white and medium blue piping.
View attachment 724111

I need to find a wholesaler for the material then the pieces are going to TJ. I have a driver of mine that lives down there and his uncle is a really good upholstery guy. I have seen pics of his work and it’s clean. And the price is crazy low.

I will also redo the floor and ski locker. The floor is bolt in and will be a breeze.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Just got the interior back from Tijuana.
IMG_8193.jpg
IMG_8197.jpg
IMG_8198.jpg
IMG_8199.jpg
IMG_8200.jpg
IMG_8201.jpg

I used the same wood frames as they were solid. New foam and vinyl and carpet. All purchased at J&J auto fabric in Rialto.

For a total of zero dollars! He owed me a favor[emoji6]

Really happy with the way it came out.

wzuber

Reaction score
Just got the interior back from Tijuana. View attachment 732764 View attachment 732765 View attachment 732766 View attachment 732767 View attachment 732768 View attachment 732769

I used the same wood frames as they were solid. New foam and vinyl and carpet. All purchased at J&J auto fabric in Rialto.

For a total of zero dollars! He owed me a favor[emoji6]

Really happy with the way it came out.
that looks good, clean straight lines with virtually no wrinkles, better than martinez would have turned out. haha
What kinda staples did they use?

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
that looks good, clean straight lines with virtually no wrinkles, better than martinez would have turned out. haha
What kinda staples did they use?

Haha
No comment on Martinez.

I had him bring stainless staples down there.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
IMG_8291.jpg
IMG_8204.jpg

New carb came in today. Holley had a sale and at $225 I couldn’t pass it up.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Yesterday I cut out all the new floor panels and sealed the bottom side with resin. I also counter sunk the ski locker bolt holes and 45’d the sides of the floor so they match the angle of the hull. Today I removed the old floor and I can tell you I don’t miss grinding fiberglass. Anyways it’s out and the floor is prepped for the install tomorrow. I’ll resign the top when I glass the edges. Just the front section gets glassed in the rest two will get bolted to the stringers.
Today is my birthday so now time to clean the glass off and have some beers. Cheers!

IMG_9102.jpg
IMG_9103.jpg
IMG_9101.jpg
IMG_9105.jpg
IMG_9106.jpg
IMG_9107.jpg

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Floor was glassed in today. Next weekend cut and buff then carpet
IMG_9118.jpg

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Engine was picked up today.

Brief run down
LS-7 4 bolt main with a stroker billet Velasco crack 510ci. Ross pistons and Edelbrock aluminum heads 10.5 to 1 compression. Should be a nice combo with mid range power for this boat.

80F35AA2-485A-4F96-92AF-91C86ADFA1AB.jpg

Last edited:

spectra bash

Reaction score
Cool boat. I am restoring my dads right now. I think it was from a taylor mold. I redid the gel coat so my swimstep holes were filled. Was wondering if you could give me measurement from top of rub rail down to top of swim step or swimstep brackets. want the swimstep to sit at the water like yours. Thanks zach

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Thank you

Ya the pacalon is checking a bit. Nothing much I can do but the rest of the gel should come back nicely.
Eliminator has done some pacalon restorations with stellar results.
There was a thread somewhere?
@shueman ?

It can be fixed, one way or another.

I can tell you he big E still has a roll of original OG 1970s Woodgrain around. Somewhere.
We did a small test panel some months ago with whatever gelcoat I could find laying around and some scrap tape.
6F922056-5989-4E20-A88B-AAD06AED4050.jpeg
36B277C8-282D-479C-9EBF-3ECCF551779F.jpeg

I’d love to bring it back!

Rad boat you have! I’m a fan of old school.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Eliminator has done some pacalon restorations with stellar results.
There was a thread somewhere?
@shueman ?

It can be fixed, one way or another.

I can tell you he big E still has a roll of original OG 1970s Woodgrain around. Somewhere.
We did a small test panel some months ago with whatever gelcoat I could find laying around and some scrap tape.
View attachment 748515 View attachment 748516

I’d love to bring it back!

Rad boat you have! I’m a fan of old school.

I wish I had the coin to bring it to you and have the whole boat re gelled and pacaloned. I think for now I’ll have it buffed and then have my dad clear the wood grain.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Cool boat. I am restoring my dads right now. I think it was from a taylor mold. I redid the gel coat so my swimstep holes were filled. Was wondering if you could give me measurement from top of rub rail down to top of swim step or swimstep brackets. want the swimstep to sit at the water like yours. Thanks zach

IMG_8851.jpg
IMG_8850.jpg
IMG_8852.jpg
IMG_8853.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I wish I had the coin to bring it to you and have the whole boat re gelled and pacaloned. I think for now I’ll have it buffed and then have my dad clear the wood grain.
Doesn’t look to need a regel at all?
Just a little attention.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Well I thrashed for the last week and a half to finish the boat for the classic boat get together this weekend.

And we got it done with a lot of help.

We were up to 1am every night this week.

I still needs a little fine tuning and the trailer restored. But I am happy with the end result. Nothing was over looked even in the short time frame. It was all done right.

IMG_0350.jpg
57979552837__4B9997E8-A606-4058-AA9B-9CAC0FFC380C.jpg
IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0439.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg

brgrcru

Reaction score
Boat looks fantastic
Great job on resto.
Love them older boat restorations

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Boat looks fantastic
Great job on resto.
Love them older boat restorations

Thank you very much.

I think if I go back to a big V or Cat again I’ll still keep it. It’s just a cool old river cruiser.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Bitchen boat, I really like it.. I love the old day cruisers, especially jets. Great job on the restore! Love the ol' woodgrain. If you do ever get rid of it hopefully it stays in your family, I'm sure there is a TON of family memories in it, and many more to come..

GregG

Reaction score
Lot of history there for sure. Must make you feel great to have brought it back.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Bitchen boat, I really like it.. I love the old day cruisers, especially jets. Great job on the restore! Love the ol' woodgrain. If you do ever get rid of it hopefully it stays in your family, I'm sure there is a TON of family memories in it, and many more to come..

Thank you.

I really like the wood grain as well I think it makes the boat.

There are a ton of stories and memories with this boat all the way back to my grandparents. I will make a lot more for sure.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Lot of history there for sure. Must make you feel great to have brought it back.

It really does.

I was wiping it down in the Nautical parking lot on Friday evening. And up walks my Uncle the original owner.

He lives in Havasu full time and knew we would be staying at the Nautical.

I didn’t know he was coming over. He takes a look at the boat and says thanks for putting time and energy into my old friend. That was enough to know I did the right thing.

My aunt passed away some time about and loved the river and driving the boat. Her name was Judy.

When I get a chance I have a striper coming over to do CF numbers and put the name on the boat.

“Hey Jude”

Gelcoater

Reaction score
It really does.

I was wiping it down in the Nautical parking lot on Friday evening. And up walks my Uncle the original owner.

He lives in Havasu full time and knew we would be staying at the Nautical.

I didn’t know he was coming over. He takes a look at the boat and says thanks for putting time and energy into my old friend. That was enough to know I did the right thing.

My aunt passed away some time about and loved the river and driving the boat. Her name was Judy.

When I get a chance I have a striper coming over to do CF numbers and put the name on the boat.

“Hey Jude”
That’s awesome.

wzuber

Reaction score
That’s awesome.
very kuul. Kinna funny sometimes how much some of these ol' tubs can mean to us when there's a good family history involving them. Very nice job on the resto. How are you liking the big inch power in it? I would imagine it's pushing around 70ish mph?

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Thank you. It sure does make it a little more dear to my heart.

I am still dialing it in and I have been trouble shooting an issue with it running over 2600 rpm and it starts to miss. Think I have it tracked down now.