Niki Lauda 1949-2019

HST4ME

Reaction score
niki-lauda-1977-south-african-gp-ferrari-for-web.jpg

RIP

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
The legendary Austrian, one of the best-known figures in motor racing, took the title for Ferrari in 1975 and 1977 and McLaren in 1984.

For many, he will be remembered for his remarkable recovery and return to racing after being badly burned in a crash in the 1976 German Grand Prix.

Lauda, who underwent a lung transplant in August, "passed away peacefully" on Monday, his family said.

After his career as a racing driver, he became an airline entrepreneur and, most recently, a non-executive chairman for the Formula 1 Mercedes team, instrumental in bringing in British driver Lewis Hamilton, who has won five world championships.

"His unique achievements as an athlete and entrepreneur are and will remain unforgettable, his tireless zest for action, his straightforwardness and his courage remain a role model and a benchmark for all of us," his family's statement said.

On 1 August 1976, one year after winning his first title, he suffered third-degree burns to his head and face and inhaled toxic gases that damaged his lungs after his vehicle burst into flames at Nurburgring.

He was given the last rites in hospital but made an almost miraculous recovery and returned to racing, still bandaged, just 40 days later.

British former F1 champion Jenson Button has called him a "legend" while McLaren said Lauda would be "enshrined in our history".

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
RIP

Had been a long year for him I'm sure, health hadn't been good for a long time.

rrrr

Reaction score
Occasionally someone with extraordinary will and focus comes along and shows the world it is possible to accomplish what seems to be irrefutably impossible.

Niki Lauda was one of those rare individuals.

Rest easy, Champ.

sirbob

Reaction score
I don't know why I was so surprised when I heard this last night - I know he hasn't been doing well but I guess I didnt see it coming...

RIP to one of the greats!

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Such a talented driver that showed courage on and off the track. He will be missed. RIP

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
One of the true greats of an era. RIP

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
A few days ago I stumbled across some interviews of him on youtube, very interesting man.

BeerMaker

"B" Team Token Black Guy
Reaction score
RIP to the goat of his time!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
This is an amazing story of him telling that the worst time in his life was not after the fire, but after Lauda Air 767 crash. He proved to Boeing that a 767 could not fly with an in-flight thrust reverser activated.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/oct/29/features.sportmonthly

Also +1 Rush movie.

Niki handled the crash the same way he handled other adversity. He flew to Thailand and was dropped near the crash site by a helicopter. He hiked through the jungle to the site, and examined every piece of wreckage looking for clues. When the FDR traces showed a thrust reverser had deployed in cruise flight, Boeing began stonewalling and looking for an out. It's a long story, but Lauda worked his ass off until he got Boeing to agree with his theory of the crash.

Lauda also attended funerals of the victims, and gave monetary assistance to the families, even though the airline was not legally obligated to do so.

He was, to use a bit of German and Yiddish slang, der Mensch...The Man.