WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

God bless him...

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
God bless America.

But, the fucking flagpole is 90' high and reportedly it and the massive flag violates the city ordinance.

Gander RV has been flying a 3,200-square-foot flag at its Statesville location for more than six months. The company had previously obtained a permit for a 1,000-square-foot flag, which complied with the city's ordinance, the city says.

Just because it's the American flag doesn't make it right. And they use the flag as their "signage" - not a fan of this

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Works for me......
My bet is a Judge will get involved soon. That could go a couple of different directions.

rrrr

Reaction score
I read that yesterday. The HMFIC said they can raise the $50 daily fine to $500 and he still won't take it down.

His customer base, with a large percentage of conservative retirees, will support the action, and probably snag sales from other RV dealers. Camping World/Gander is the largest nationwide RV dealer in the US.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Depends on which came first, the ordinance or the flag. The article doesn't explain it of course, but the implication is that the dealership advised of the option; either 1000sf flag or a 3200sf flag. It seems there is more behind the story that is not mentioned.

Could it be a councilman with a chip on their shoulder or a business seeking 'free' advertising? Probably a little of both.

Either way, from the photo and given the location, there shouldn't be a problem with the larger flag. What if they wanted to fly a 3200sf Stars and Bars flag?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Depends on which came first, the ordinance or the flag. The article doesn't explain it of course, but the implication is that the dealership advised of the option; either 1000sf flag or a 3200sf flag. It seems there is more behind the story that is not mentioned.

Could it be a councilman with a chip on their shoulder or a business seeking 'free' advertising? Probably a little of both.

Either way, from the photo and given the location, there shouldn't be a problem with the larger flag. What if they wanted to fly a 3200sf Stars and Bars flag?
No one from the city would have the guts to tell them to pull it down if it were a hodji crescent moon, may hurt someone's feelings. Pick on a patriotic display, sure, no problem:mad:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So the city's bitch is it doesn't fit their permit?... What BS is it when you have to obtain a permit to fly a flag on ground you pay taxes to own? Not a safety issue, just a powertrip by a code enforcer.

Kinda what I was wondering...

Since when do you need a permit to fly the American flag??

What kinda left wing shit is that??

:mad:

PDQH2O

Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me about the situation is that I can't practically fly a US flag that awesome size over my house.

jesco

Reaction score
Oakley got in trouble for running their black/gray skull flag years ago without having Ole Glory on top and it was smaller than the Oakley flag. Jim Jannard told the city to go pound sand when he was put on notice. They sent him a fine so he took down the US Flag and put a BIGGER Oakley skull flag... Rumor is they came back and told him he was going to get a fine for every day he didn't run Ole Glory up top and it had to be larger than his Oakley flag. He asked how much the fine was going to be... they told him... he went a got a check for 12 months worth of fines and told them "See yah on a year...". I know he finally ended up running a HUGE Stars and Stripes flag and ditched the skull flag.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Oakley got in trouble for running their black/gray skull flag years ago without having Ole Glory on top and it was smaller than the Oakley flag. Jim Jannard told the city to go pound sand when he was put on notice. They sent him a fine so he took down the US Flag and put a BIGGER Oakley skull flag... Rumor is they came back and told him he was going to get a fine for every day he didn't run Ole Glory up top and it had to be larger than his Oakley flag. He asked how much the fine was going to be... they told him... he went a got a check for 12 months worth of fines and told them "See yah on a year...". I know he finally ended up running a HUGE Stars and Stripes flag and ditched the skull flag.
I get the point, but don't agree with his tactic. He should have simply purchased the monster U.S. Flag from the get go and run it higher. Some things you just don't argue about.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Fixed it for ya
I'd appreciate you not "fixing" my posts cuz that's your opinion, not mine.
Screenshot_20180922-143220_Google.jpg

Capitalism is the American way.
Go find something else to copy and paste :rolleyes:

jesco

Reaction score
I get the point, but don't agree with his tactic. He should have simply purchased the monster U.S. Flag from the get go and run it higher. Some things you just don't argue about.

I agree. He did it for "shock value"... This was back when he was trying to turn a "brand" into a "lifestyle"... Which he accomplished, and it got him PAID heavily, hahaha.

4Waters

Reaction score
Camping world in Santa Clarita flies a big ass American Flag every day, it's something my family looks forward to every time we go out there which is nearly every Saturday starting Memorial weekend through October when we are headed to Castiac Lake.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
“However, the city says its authority must be respected: "We take our laws and ordinances very seriously.”

Like most cities I wonder if they have the homeless breaking laws every day. This is just another instance with someone doing something that is positive but being hammered by a city. SMH

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Is the flag pole and footing engineered for a 3500 sqft flag vs a 1000 sqft ?
That's what the permit is for. It is a life safety issue. Story is kinda lacking

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I'd appreciate you not "fixing" my posts cuz that's your opinion, not mine. View attachment 756853
Capitalism is the American way.
Go find something else to copy and paste :rolleyes:

The rule of law is also the American way.

Backstory:

Beginning in 2014, Section 6.07 of the city of Statesville’s Unified Development Code (UDC) had stated that governmental flags (such as the Stars and Stripes) flown outside local businesses could be no larger then 8 feet high and 12 feet wide (96 square feet) and flown on a flagpole no taller than 40 feet.

In June 2015, Camping World applied for a variance (akin to an exemption) to Section 6.07, to allow the company to fly an American flag measuring 40 feet high and 80 feet wide (3,200 square feet) on a 130-foot flagpole. In August 2015, the Statesville Board of Adjustment denied the application for a variance.

Three years later, in June 2018, Statesville City Council voted to change Section 6.07 of the UDC to allow American flags 25 feet high and 40 feet wide (1,000 square feet) with a flagpole no taller than 130 feet. Shortly thereafter, Camping World applied for, and was granted, a permit to erect just such an American flag at the Moreland Drive location of Gander Outdoors.

However, in August 2018 the company instead erected a 40-by-80-foot flag at the location. According the city’s civil complaint against Camping World, municipal officials twice warned the company that the flag was in violation of the already-expanded restrictions contained in Section 6.07.

At the 1 October 2018 Statesville City Council meeting, members voted 5-3 against a proposal to once again expand the restrictions to allow a 40-by-80-foot American flag such as the one flying at Gander Outdoors.

Two weeks later, according to the civil complaint, the city issued a citation to Camping World, advising that the company had violated Section 6.07 and had been warned of such, and that the city was entitled to take further legal action against the company and to collect a fine of $50 per day, starting from 15 October 2018 until such time as Camping World became compliant with Section 6.07 — a fine that is itself set out in Section 1.07 of the city’s UDC.

Between October 2018 and May 2019, Camping World failed to remove the flag or replace it with one that complied with Section 6.07, and on 7 May, the city filed a civil complaint in Iredell County District Court, seeking an injunction that would force the company to comply with the city ordinance on pain of a further charge of contempt of court, as well as seeking collection of the $50/day fine in addition to legal costs.

None of that four-year backstory was included in Camping World’s widely shared Facebook post or Change.org petition, which stated only that the city of Statesville was bringing a lawsuit to force the company to take down its American flag.

The company made no mention of the fact that the city had already changed the relevant ordinance to allow flags 10 times larger than before, nor that the city had granted Camping World a permit for a flag that would have measured 25 by 40 feet (1,000 square feet), nor that the court injunction, if ordered, would allow the company to replace the existing flag with a smaller one. As such, Camping World’s Facebook post and Change.org petition were woefully and misleadingly lacking in highly-relevant context.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Backstory:

Beginning in 2014, Section 6.07 of the city of Statesville’s Unified Development Code (UDC) had stated that governmental flags (such as the Stars and Stripes) flown outside local businesses could be no larger then 8 feet high and 12 feet wide (96 square feet) and flown on a flagpole no taller than 40 feet.

In June 2015, Camping World applied for a variance (akin to an exemption) to Section 6.07, to allow the company to fly an American flag measuring 40 feet high and 80 feet wide (3,200 square feet) on a 130-foot flagpole. In August 2015, the Statesville Board of Adjustment denied the application for a variance.

Three years later, in June 2018, Statesville City Council voted to change Section 6.07 of the UDC to allow American flags 25 feet high and 40 feet wide (1,000 square feet) with a flagpole no taller than 130 feet. Shortly thereafter, Camping World applied for, and was granted, a permit to erect just such an American flag at the Moreland Drive location of Gander Outdoors.

However, in August 2018 the company instead erected a 40-by-80-foot flag at the location. According the city’s civil complaint against Camping World, municipal officials twice warned the company that the flag was in violation of the already-expanded restrictions contained in Section 6.07.

At the 1 October 2018 Statesville City Council meeting, members voted 5-3 against a proposal to once again expand the restrictions to allow a 40-by-80-foot American flag such as the one flying at Gander Outdoors.

Two weeks later, according to the civil complaint, the city issued a citation to Camping World, advising that the company had violated Section 6.07 and had been warned of such, and that the city was entitled to take further legal action against the company and to collect a fine of $50 per day, starting from 15 October 2018 until such time as Camping World became compliant with Section 6.07 — a fine that is itself set out in Section 1.07 of the city’s UDC.

Between October 2018 and May 2019, Camping World failed to remove the flag or replace it with one that complied with Section 6.07, and on 7 May, the city filed a civil complaint in Iredell County District Court, seeking an injunction that would force the company to comply with the city ordinance on pain of a further charge of contempt of court, as well as seeking collection of the $50/day fine in addition to legal costs.

None of that four-year backstory was included in Camping World’s widely shared Facebook post or Change.org petition, which stated only that the city of Statesville was bringing a lawsuit to force the company to take down its American flag.

The company made no mention of the fact that the city had already changed the relevant ordinance to allow flags 10 times larger than before, nor that the city had granted Camping World a permit for a flag that would have measured 25 by 40 feet (1,000 square feet), nor that the court injunction, if ordered, would allow the company to replace the existing flag with a smaller one. As such, Camping World’s Facebook post and Change.org petition were woefully and misleadingly lacking in highly-relevant context.

I'm sorry...

What is your point again? I musta missed it.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Lol, I knew I could count on you for a copy/paste.:D
Have you ever paid a fine for an infraction you felt was or wasn't warranted?
That's what he's willing to do apparently.
My point before is to not change(aka "fix") my verbage to reflect your opinion.
I'm totally fine with you expressing your opinion with your own words.....also your American right.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
On a completely irrelevant note, how does one take down a flag of that size? I just don't see how you can do it properly.

Legalities and civil suits aside, I'm still all for a company that wants to fly a massive flag. That's just me, Pro-American, not so much pro-authority.

rrrr

Reaction score
From What Exit's post:

I think everyone that heard about this was able to guess the progression of the issue. It's kinda obvious that Camping World is intentionally breaking the law.

And just about everyone says "WGAF?"

SixD9R

Reaction score
I get it that they are breaking the law. But seriously, WTF? It’s not offensive to any real American and the folks driving by probably really dig it for the most part. The city should be able to find a way to make an exception in this case or amend their ordinance to allow it. Is there a council member or 2 that are triggered by it?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I get it that they are breaking the law. But seriously, WTF? It’s not offensive to any real American and the folks driving by probably really dig it for the most part. The city should be able to find a way to make an exception in this case or amend their ordinance to allow it. Is there a council member or 2 that are triggered by it?
"Triggered"...used to mean something totally different. Seems like the very word would upset them:)

In all actuality, check and make sure the flagpole and footing is structurally sound for the load. If it is, great. If not, have him build one that is. It makes no sense that city attorneys should be wasting time and money on this, when I'm sure there's a tweaker that needs to go to jail in that town, there always is.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
They love our milk and honey
But they preach about some other way of livin'
But when they're runnin' down our country, man
They're walkin' on the fightin' side of me

Reactions: C-2