WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

6in Lift on New Daily Driver?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I know there are lots of ballers on here with awesome rides with big lifts; hopefully some of you can shed some light on the subject.

I am currently working a deal on a new fully loaded 5th Gen 2019 Ram Laramie truck. It comes with factory 22" wheels however, I am going to change them to either 18" or 20" wheels with 35" tires. I was originally looking at just doing upper control arms, 3" level and Fox shocks. Basically the set up I had on my 2017 with 17"s and 35s. It looked cool and did everything I ever needed as we don't do super hard off roading.

Now, I am actually considering going all out and going with a real 6" lift with 35s on either 18s or 20s. I have never owned a really lifted truck. We don't drive much and the truck will be lucky to see 8,000 miles a year but I definitely don't want it to be ridiculous to drive albeit very little. I am looking at the BDS lift with Fox shocks. People seem to really like that kit. If not that lift the new Fabtech lift for the 5th Gen is decent looking quality wise too. I am on a budget so no super cool Camburg long travel stuff is considered :(

How is cornering, getting in and out and just overall feel with a truck on a 6" lift and 35" tires? I love 37s but that is just more than I want to deal with.

Btw, I looked at new Fords since I am a Ford guy, but damn new Rams are so over the top interior wise. Heated and cooled seats and wheel, that 12" touch screen is insane and fit and finish is just so so nice I couldn't believe it. I have always been happy with the Rams I have had and really love this new one so I decided to pull the trigger. Should hopefully get everything wrapped up this week.

Thanks for the help guys and gals.

JD D05

Reaction score
You asked....

Level kit with some 22's and good shocks and upgrades control arms.

But Enen had a nice 6 inch kit from his lemonade Ram...not sure of he still has it.

Singleton

Reaction score
Carli lift is what I was told.
I decided to leave my daily stock, but new shoes once those need to be replaced

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
A 6” lift on a Ram or Ford is huge, to the point of limiting usability. Stock or with a leveling kit they clear 37s. I would look into the offerings from Thuren and Carli. A 6” on these trucks makes 35s look like 31s. I would suggest a 2” level with 35s, I run a 2” thuren front leveling kit and 35s almost look too small. A 6” will require 37-40s to look right, IMO. The right kit will improve the ride and the look. Edit: I’m referring to the HD trucks, I realize you are probably talking a 1500, the BDS should be a decent kit.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I know there are lots of ballers on here with awesome rides with big lifts; hopefully some of you can shed some light on the subject.

I am currently working a deal on a new fully loaded 5th Gen 2019 Ram Laramie truck. It comes with factory 22" wheels however, I am going to change them to either 18" or 20" wheels with 35" tires. I was originally looking at just doing upper control arms, 3" level and Fox shocks. Basically the set up I had on my 2017 with 17"s and 35s. It looked cool and did everything I ever needed as we don't do super hard off roading.

Now, I am actually considering going all out and going with a real 6" lift with 35s on either 18s or 20s. I have never owned a really lifted truck. We don't drive much and the truck will be lucky to see 8,000 miles a year but I definitely don't want it to be ridiculous to drive albeit very little. I am looking at the BDS lift with Fox shocks. People seem to really like that kit. If not that lift the new Fabtech lift for the 5th Gen is decent looking quality wise too. I am on a budget so no super cool Camburg long travel stuff is considered :(

How is cornering, getting in and out and just overall feel with a truck on a 6" lift and 35" tires? I love 37s but that is just more than I want to deal with.

Btw, I looked at new Fords since I am a Ford guy, but damn new Rams are so over the top interior wise. Heated and cooled seats and wheel, that 12" touch screen is insane and fit and finish is just so so nice I couldn't believe it. I have always been happy with the Rams I have had and really love this new one so I decided to pull the trigger. Should hopefully get everything wrapped up this week.

In before the next round of “This is the best truck I’ve ever had but it really sucks” RAM threads :)

Level it, put different wheel/tires on it and run it.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Yeah I am definitely leaning towards 3in level. Mopar has a really nice kit that is covered under warranty. 2in with tubular UCAs and the add another inch with the Ram OffRoad package springs. It comes with Fox shocks too! They do look good with just level. I like more of that Pre-Runner lower look and prob will just do that.

There isn't much out yet for the new 5th gen. Ikon and King are working on coilover kits so eventually I can change to that.

Probably gonna run some Method wheels. I have ran them on my last two trucks and they have nice off road look.

I actually saw one level lifted on the sto k 22s with 35s. Looked cool but I prefer the more functional taller tires.

Thanks for the kind advice guys. Ill keep everyone posted.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Also a lot of 4th suspension parts crossover to the 5th gen.

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m 5’9” or 5’10” with work boots on. Now I don’t have running boards, but I have to sort of jump in my Ram 3500 lol.

How do you guys get in and out of your trucks all day with that kind of height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Make sure it's a 3.92 truck with the e locker or limited slip. Most dealers order the 3.92's, but without lsd or e locker.

Yes, I only buy the 3.92 Rams. This will be the nicest one I have ever owned though. Even has a panoramic glass roof. hahaha. The 12" screen and 19 speaker system is pretty cool too. Im usually a roll up window kind of guy but really wanted a nice truck this time around.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Yes, I only buy the 3.92 Rams. This will be the nicest one I have ever owned though. Even has a panoramic glass roof. hahaha. The 12" screen and 19 speaker system is pretty cool too. Im usually a roll up window kind of guy but really wanted a nice truck this time around.
Yeah they have done a nice job. We drove a really well equipped big horn the other day. Really like it. Dealers are blowing rebels out now also. The red interior ruins it though.

NicPaus

Reaction score
They make a 4" kit? I ran a 12" on my old Duramax with 40s. Eventually switched lifts with 35s which was ideal for MPG and all around. Drove my buddies truck 2 trips ago with my old lift and forgot how big it was. If I pull the trigger on a another 2500 I will do the 4". Leaving my Z71 1500 stock no torque to pull a lift need a diesel.

stoker22405

Reaction score
I have BDS 6’’ lift and 20’’ tires on 2017 Silverado handles just fine bigger tires took away some power other than that no difference than stock

Change diff gears and you will have the power back

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Thes are the factory 22s. Super nice wheels but just not in to that look. My truck is white though. https://www.instagram.com/p/Boho4g5FDDU/?igshid=1djwxg458bwer

level with 18s. Definently they way ill go. Looks so good.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt4ANTLF9bB/?igshid=24c019kn2szr

3.5" with 20s. Definently gonna stick with level and 18s. https://www.instagram.com/p/ByvdYe2gC5b/?igshid=gqw0e7rs3eqa

I dont get this look at all but to each their own. https://www.instagram.com/p/BxiwZHvhsSG/?igshid=b7qkw9nz4mo5

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Yeah they have done a nice job. We drove a really well equipped big horn the other day. Really like it. Dealers are blowing rebels out now also. The red interior ruins it though.

Yeah I am not a fan of the Rebel. I do t like the black plastic front end. I am getting the monochromatic sport pack or whatever its called. I like the look of the color coded bumpers etc.

I thought it was odd you could get a Rebel in 2wd.

AEA

Reaction score
How is speedometer re-calibration handled?

FishSniper

Reaction score

I have a 15 Ram 2500 cummins with an 8 inch lift and 40 inch tires. Love the truck and bought it with the lift already on it. It's a larger lift then I would have done if I had bought it stock and lifted myself but now i have gotten so used to it when I drove a stock f-150 the other day I felt like I was in a car. I got some amp steps installed and getting in and out is no issue. I don't put a ton of miles on it either had it about a year and only put about 6k on it. Manuvering in tight parking lots is a bit of a pain but I typically park way out to avoid the dings anyways so it's not much of an issue. With that size lift just watch the tire wear if anything starts wearing weird have it checked out.

Last edited:

FishSniper

Reaction score
Yeah I am not a fan of the Rebel. I do t like the black plastic front end. I am getting the monochromatic sport pack or whatever its called. I like the look of the color coded bumpers etc.

I thought it was odd you could get a Rebel in 2wd.
I had an 04 with a 3 inch lift prior to this one and the new one even with the lift handles night and day better then the old one.

Dalton

Reaction score
whats funny is, you might get better performance out of a 3 inch lift than a big drop bracket kit

CLdrinker

Reaction score
7692CAD6-AD89-4FD4-B1D1-CC586C60CEB8.jpeg
6E583A58-6934-443F-AA76-1016AE791DA6.jpeg
As you may have read these trucks have upper ball joint and cv angle issues.

Get a set of upper arms and a Bilstein coil over kit set it 2.5. Run some 285/70/18 and call it a day.

Here is my old truck 1.5” with 275’s

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Daily driver? I thought you rode your bike everywhere?? :D

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m 5’9” or 5’10” with work boots on. Now I don’t have running boards, but I have to sort of jump in my Ram 3500 lol.

How do you guys get in and out of your trucks all day with that kind of height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert De Niro has this one figured out for you.

8DC8F5AF-815E-4726-8E1E-469B6DC358F3.png

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
View attachment 765217 View attachment 765218 As you may have read these trucks have upper ball joint and cv angle issues.

Get a set of upper arms and a Bilstein coil over kit set it 2.5. Run some 285/70/18 and call it a day.

Here is my old truck 1.5” with 275’s

good looking truck.

Yeah the Bilsteins are great. I ran the 3in adjustable level kit on my 17. I ran front and rear Bilsteins, 3.92 gears with 35"s. It drove better than stock and all CV angles were correct.

Bilstein doesn't have a kit for 5th gen yet but the Mopar kit includes new tubular arms and Fox shocks. Its super nice.

20180128_145803.jpg

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I have done a lot of research on this. I recently took delivery on a 2019 2500 Cummins limited. I concluded that Carli, Thuren and icon was best. My truck will not be used off-road and these kits seem to have the best on road manners. None of these 3 have a kit ready/ perfected for the 2019 yet. Carli is really close and is waiting on the track bar to relocate the front diff back to center. Icon claims to be able to use gen 4 on the gen 5 but given Carli says a redesigned track bar is required I think icon will likely bring one out also. Thuren does not have a gen 5 kit ready

All that said I am waiting a few months for everyone to perfect their kits, I don’t want to rush it

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have done a lot of research on this. I recently took delivery on a 2019 2500 Cummins limited. I concluded that Carli, Thuren and icon was best. My truck will not be used off-road and these kits seem to have the best on road manners. None of these 3 have a kit ready/ perfected for the 2019 yet. Carli is really close and is waiting on the track bar to relocate the front diff back to center. Icon claims to be able to use gen 4 on the gen 5 but given Carli says a redesigned track bar is required I think icon will likely bring one out also. Thuren does not have a gen 5 kit ready

All that said I am waiting a few months for everyone to perfect their kits, I don’t want to rush it

The original poster has a 1/2ton. Atleast that’s what I gathered after he mentioned upper control arms.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Why fuck with a daily driver at all? Especially while in warranty?

The effect of lift and larger wheels on ride and MPG can be astounding.

UD

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Why fuck with a daily driver at all? Especially while in warranty?

The effect of lift and larger wheels on ride and MPG can be astounding.

UD
If done right it will be 100 percent better. Have a 6.2 Silverado. Coilovers/shocks, 33 ridge grapplers. Lifetime mileage is 17.4. Will get 20-22 on highway trips. Ride/handling/capability are all improved.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
If done right it will be 100 percent better. Have a 6.2 Silverado. Coilovers/shocks, 33 ridge grapplers. Lifetime mileage is 17.4. Will get 20-22 on highway trips. Ride/handling/capability are all improved.

Never seen it work that way myself- but if your formula yields an improvement on all fronts then Id sign up.

UD

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Never seen it work that way myself- but if your formula yields an improvement on all fronts then Id sign up.

UD
All about the combo. Easy to yield shitty results with the wrong setup.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think I’m getting 1 or 2 fewer MPG with my 33’s and 2 inch front level on my F150, but I’m also driving it faster.

I did the wheels/tires and suspension the first couple weeks and also reprogrammed the LOM (Lie O Meter) to reflect my hand calculated mileage.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I have a chevy 2500 with 35’s on 18’s. I wouldn’t go bigger then 18” wheels, the bigger the wheel the rougher the ride. With a 6” lift you need steps for sure. Corners nice, rides better then stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I think I’m getting 1 or 2 fewer MPG with my 33’s and 2 inch front level on my F150, but I’m also driving it faster.

I did the wheels/tires and suspension the first couple weeks and also reprogrammed the LOM (Lie O Meter) to reflect my hand calculated mileage.
I hand calculate mine and it is usually .1 under or over. Pretty close.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I hand calculate mine and it is usually .1 under or over. Pretty close.

The Ford is off. The harder you drive it the more it is off. If you are on the highway at 65 it is close.

You can put the cluster in “engineering mode” and adjust the MPG offset to your hand calcs.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The Ford is off. The harder you drive it the more it is off. If you are on the highway at 65 it is close.

You can put the cluster in “engineering mode” and adjust the MPG offset to your hand calcs.
That's the ECO part. Ford programs in the better mpg's hahaha

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That's the ECO part. Ford programs in the better mpg's hahaha

There is nothing ECO about it lol, but I knew that going in.

It still gets better mileage than the 4Runner, and is way faster doing it, so that is a win.

If you are not in boost, it does pretty well.

JD D05

Reaction score
I have to look at something, as I don’t have trim tabs to adjust.

I have never calculated anything I have ever owned I don't know why I just don't care, I can't even tell you what the price of fuel is.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I have to say my Ram I posted above drove better than stock with the Bilstiens/3in level and 35s. Plus we did do some pretty rough stuff in it, and still drug over some rocks. Stock wheels and tires would have been a mess on some of the places we have been.

I have decided to stick with UCA, Fox shocks and 35s.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have never calculated anything I have ever owned I don't know why I just don't care, I can't even tell you what the price of fuel is.
Rich people problems...:) First thing I do when I drive one of the trucks I have not in a while. See how my Guys are driving. The cost of fuel never cared not walking to a job with a ton of tools.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

At the end of the day I don’t really care either. If I did I’d have a different set of hobbies.

I have an efficient car that makes me money on mileage for work.

JD D05

Reaction score
Rich people problems...:) First thing I do when I drive one of the trucks I have not in a while. See how my Guys are driving. The cost of fuel never cared not walking to a job with a ton of tools.

Ha well you have not witnessed me purchase razor blades have you. I throw a total fit.