WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

People keep asking me what happened..

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
My wife was operated five days after her ankle broke. Royal Columbian hospital is a RPITA :eek:,but have the best surgeons who are overwhelmed by serving a very large area patients and emergencies. Her ankle had to be reset on the day it broke before the surgery, it was twisted almost 180*.
She got the boot like you have on. She never got a cast that's probably caused the blisters for you. Wheeled her about 3 months before she started walking with the boot on. One interesting fact is, most ankle breaks happen on the right foot.

Blisters? As RD said, Yes there truly are fracture blisters. Google it. They are not a simple friction blister. And have to be dealt with accordingly.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Was there at 7:30 am. They removed the splint did the x rays and said the same things the all the other guys said.. “that’s a nasty break, gotta hurt a lot!”

When I left they put me in a walking boot instead of a splint. I don’t k ow anything about medicine but the guys at LOTO spent a lot of time getting the alignment right of my foot before splinting it, and even x rayed after splint to make sure it was straight.

I’m at home looking at this now and with my knee straight my foot is about 10-15 degrees to the right?

View attachment 765633

Seems weird to me that they would let it be lke that for a week before surgery? But they are the experts not me.

Am I the only one who see's the caption on the TV. "Most young people would have run" LOL

Sorry to hear about the ankle Dave, Guess you'll have plenty of time to write articles.

svlperry

Reaction score
Was there at 7:30 am. They removed the splint did the x rays and said the same things the all the other guys said.. “that’s a nasty break, gotta hurt a lot!”

When I left they put me in a walking boot instead of a splint. I don’t k ow anything about medicine but the guys at LOTO spent a lot of time getting the alignment right of my foot before splinting it, and even x rayed after splint to make sure it was straight.

I’m at home looking at this now and with my knee straight my foot is about 10-15 degrees to the right?

View attachment 765633

Seems weird to me that they would let it be lke that for a week before surgery? But they are the experts not me.

Just got out of a boot like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I wouldn’t wish this shit on anybody.. good lord!

I’d rather be back in that splint! This boot sucks ass!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

What’s not to like about an $800 boot. :D

There is a little bit of adjustability but probably not what you’re going to want to mess with it until after surgery and the swelling goes down, but it won’t be comfortable

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Think of the months of moderating you can do. [emoji12]
You can re open threads closed by the magic carpet flier[emoji33][emoji12]
Seriously. I hope everything goes well from here on out and you are moving around soon.

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score

It's going to get worse before it gets better. If you do not have shower stool and wand for the shower, order them now. They are both super cheap and will make that task 100x easier.

Duffster

Reaction score
They squeezed me in before all the other patients in the morning and he was busy when I was leaving. I asked another doctor buddy of mine and he said be thankful they are doing it this way.

The two guys he was gonna send me to both said they would put an x brace or something like. That’s where the pins are sticking out of your leg to the circle thing.. lol. I told him fuck that! No way no how. I’ll deal with the pain first

Years ago when I crashed like Evel Knievel actually just toed a huge rock and broke my foot jumping a suburban on my dirt bike. They did major surgery and screwed 4in pins into the bone that were sticking out of my foot. Horrifying and a little uncomfortable at first because they rubbed on the cast a bit but I got use to it after time. I thought the worst when they were going to be removed but it was no big deal. I really like the fact they didn’t have to leave any screws in. Today my ankle is fused I don’t have full mobility lots of scar tissue and it can tell the weather. So been through your shit and like I said it’s going to take time so be good to your wife get your relax on. More day-time napping with the dogs. Lol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
RD, as mentioned, a shower stool is helpful as hell when racked up. In your case, I would worry about balance and the instinct to balance out with your bad foot. For me, I just couldn't stand that long. Muscle had broken down and nerve damage. Wasn't going to do bubble baths, and sure as hell wasn't asking for help. Cheap folding barstool is what I used...made me feel more normal(ish) than a hospital style thing. As for the tilted foot, all that may change with surgery. It may still be off after, depending on how the bones heal, and tendons attach. Worry about that shit later, maybe you'll end up with a gangsta' lean.

I know being racked up sucks. It doesn't matter the time of year. I spent a summer going from a wheelchair, to a walker and finally a cane. At least in this case the bones can be set and pinned, and so far the doctors think it will be surgery and time. Yes, it sucks. Could be worse though. A prop didn't lop off your foot, nor bleed you out. You also have a business that you can still help to provide for your family while recovering. There are bright sides, even if you have to squint to see them right now.

Heal up fast, but the lake will still be there.

mobldj

Reaction score
sucks to be hurt.lol.my dog says hold his beer !
my bionic puppy.jpg

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
The great thing here is that your business will not fold or bankrupt the family while this is going on. Yes there will be an effect on it but in reality not that bad for the time you are laid up. Talk to a few of the others on here who just about lost everything when something happened to them.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Don't know if already been mentioned but RD ask the doctor about a fiberglass cast, I had one my right leg that was a good alternative to plaster cast as I was able to bathe, shower etc while wearing a fiberglass cast.
Fiberglass cast is used with a waterproof cast liner, water can drain from the cast and the padding will remain intact, less odor as the liner allows the skin to dry by evaporation.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The great thing here is that your business will not fold or bankrupt the family while this is going on. Yes there will be an effect on it but in reality not that bad for the time you are laid up. Talk to a few of the others on here who just about lost everything when something happened to them.

Ironically enough we are in a state of massive growth right now, both in technology and personal. My classifieds are j Ching closer each day.. we just hired a sales person for advertising, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I am trying to take a step back from all of that and get back to going on boats and writing about them. That part will be delayed a little bit, but our income will actually go up in the following months.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Just got back from a mini vaca, sorry to hear Dave. Hope you're better soon!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Stacy took the wrap off today to take a look.. shit is worse than it was before.

Today was as miserable as it gets. Haven’t had pain like this since the first night.

E558C945-83EC-48FF-8D23-24222790850A.jpeg
EBE0C3D5-8992-4549-ABB2-E466881C5570.jpeg
DDD431D5-F74D-496A-ABA3-170EB342797E.jpeg
2CDA2383-A7D4-410A-A408-2E134A0DBD86.jpeg

The whole Inside of my foot is swollen now as well.

Awesome..

A75BB2E9-5D6C-4337-9F8F-4893870FD752.jpeg

I made the decision tonight that we are heading to a doctor that come highly recommended in California.

Today sucked.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Fuck Dave....be more careful next time

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
You might as well just cut the fucker off below the knee!!!!

In all seriousness, you need to get moving towards a competent doctor or 3. Don't take the first guys message as gospel, get a 2nd, and 3rd opinion! This can be the difference from having your OEM hoof, or a prosthetic blade attached to your stump the rest of your life.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You might as well just cut the fucker off below the knee!!!!

In all seriousness, you need to get moving towards a competent doctor or 3. Don't take the first guys message as gospel, get a 2nd, and 3rd opinion! This can be the difference from having your OEM hoof, or a prosthetic blade attached to your stump the rest of your life.

I am luckier than most in having a network with a lot of people behind the scenes. I have talked to several doctors on the phone about what’s what.

Honestly the only reason I am abandoning the dr I have in LHC is because the staff is completely incompetent.

I’ll let stacy tell that story if she wants too. At the end of the day I’m going backwards and fast because of how I left that office. I don’t need a doctorates to know that.

Which now has me concerned about the rest moving forward.

Hence the change

DC-88

Reaction score
Damn Dave just saw this. Don't fuck around, go to Kerlan Jobe , Stanford, or a well known orthopedic . You and Stacy have seen my chick's elbow from sticking with the first available and ending up at Kerlan later........

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
fuck, fuck, ouch fuck! just seeing this too, holy crap you big goof. I was miserable a couple years ago on a trip in Hawaii where I sprained an already damaged ankle. I was lucky that I didn't fall off the cliff when it happened. Doesn't make it better, its gonna suck, need to just expect that as its the new norm for you for a while. I just left town, we gonna need to set up a support group for you. Beer and cig runs.

Hang in there Stacy!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I am luckier than most in having a network with a lot of people behind the scenes. I have talked to several doctors on the phone about what’s what.

Honestly the only reason I am abandoning the dr I have in LHC is because the staff is completely incompetent.

I’ll let stacy tell that story if she wants too. At the end of the day I’m going backwards and fast because of how I left that office. I don’t need a doctorates to know that.

Which now has me concerned about the rest moving forward.

Hence the change
Talk to some of the smart peeps you know about how best to do the drive or flight to Ca. I know there is something to do with circulation of both blood and lymph fluid. It can cause pain and infection stuff. I know sitting in a vehicle isn't good for circulation in general.

BTW, it's been a few days of gnarly swelling. Don't freak out if your skin peels in the shower. Not like little flakes, I mean like elementary school, Elmer's glue, fake skin looking peeling. It was explained to me it was caused by the circulation of the lymph, and that swelling was at a different layer of flesh, or something... I about shit when my bicep and deltoid seemed to wash off:eek:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Welcome to the 3:30 bump in the night.. holy shit balls.. I won’t be going back to sleep for an hour or two.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Welcome to the 3:30 bump in the night.. holy shit balls.. I won’t be going back to sleep for an hour or two.
Been there done that. I remember trying to readjust in bed and kicking my own ass. Couldn't get comfortable tried to gently and slowly move my foot but nope that shit hurt. Pain meds helped a tad

wallnutz

Reaction score
Not a bad thing for two or three opinions. When I broke my back Presidents’ Day I got three, two were pretty close to the same and the third was way out there with massive surgeries, fusing and years of healing. Needless t say I went with the first guy and he was great, think I’m healing pretty good. So go get a couple, especially if you are going to So Cal anyway.

Timmmmmy

Reaction score
Damn Dave that looks nasty! Hope you find a great doctor and heal quickly.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The last time I broke my ankle I was a senior in highschool. I was supposed to be at work but I decided to stop at the skatepark real quick after class. I went to kickflipnthe 8 stair and everything was fine. Landed perfect but for some reason my front ankle just rolled. I tried to get up and walk and couldnt. I knew it was broken. I drove to work w my left foot and told my wife I needed to go home. Anyways I went to diamond ranch highschool which has stairs everywhere. I don’t remember if it was a passing period or after lunch but I was on the stop step leaning on my crutches. My buddy nick Nieman kicked one out from under me and I fell down a set of like 22 stairs. Funny as all hell but I instinctively put my foot down to catch myself. Fucked up my toes and swelled up horribly inside my cast. I remember waking up in the middle of the night in so much pain. The rest of the time I was in that cast I got a piggy back ride up the stairs from one of the security guard ladies. I can’t remember her name but bless her heart. I also had a bad drinking problem back then. I got into a fight with my gf at the time. (Not my wife) and she threw me out of her car on grand and diamond bar Blvd.(wasted) I crutched myself home to golden springs and temple which was a couple miles. Lol autopilot :eek:

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
The last time I broke my ankle I was a senior in highschool. I was supposed to be at work but I decided to stop at the skatepark real quick after class. I went to kickflipnthe 8 stair and everything was fine. Landed perfect but for some reason my front ankle just rolled. I tried to get up and walk and couldnt. I knew it was broken. I drove to work w my left foot and told my wife I needed to go home. Anyways I went to diamond ranch highschool which has stairs everywhere. I don’t remember if it was a passing period or after lunch but I was on the stop step leaning on my crutches. My buddy nick Nieman kicked one out from under me and I fell down a set of like 22 stairs. Funny as all hell but I instinctively put my foot down to catch myself. Fucked up my toes and swelled up horribly inside my cast. I remember waking up in the middle of the night in so much pain. The rest of the time I was in that cast I got a piggy back ride up the stairs from one of the security guard ladies. I can’t remember her name but bless her heart. I also had a bad drinking problem back then. I got into a fight with my gf at the time. (Not my wife) and she threw me out of her car on grand and diamond bar Blvd.(wasted) I crutched myself home to golden springs and temple which was a couple miles. Lol autopilot :eek:

You had a wife in high school?

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Sorry to read this Dave. Hope for a speedy recovery Mr.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Kerlan Jobe worked on my knee after the first doctor I went to wouldn’t touch it, he recommended them. I’m 100 % today. I would def go back to them.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
I can’t imagine what you’re going through Dave. Good luck finding the right doctor for you and getting you on the healing path!

charlyox

Reaction score
GODDAMN R.D. That looks like it hurts like hell. Good luck with the surgery.

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
Always, always, always, go to the best doctor you have access to and/or can afford!!!!!!!

I deal with doctors on a daily basis. Been in the game for 20+ years and can count the number of docs I would let work on me on one hand!

Do you know what they call the guy who finished last in medical school???

DOCTOR!!!

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
I work in cardiology and nephrology mainly so unfortunately I don’t know if any good ankle docs! As was stated before, go to the best and make sure they specialize in ankles/feet. Nothing else!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Dave, probably tough to know...because it woke you up, but was it the movement or contact with something that sent the zinger? If it was contact, can you try to put some pillows around your foot, kind of like it's own padded room? The other thing that helps, but isn't always an option, muscle relaxers or even benedryl. Both may help you sleep deeper, so you don't move much in your sleep.

Funny thing is, your posting times aren't much different:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well that big blister must have popped because

image.jpg

When Stacy is done with some RE stuff she’s going to come home to rewrap it again.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
You may be aware, there are conditions where fracture blisters must be dealt with prior to any surgery. Getting another opinion sounds like a good thing. These recent photos of the fracture blisters would likely be beneficial to the future doctors.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
Another four days before you see a doc in Cali? :rolleyes::eek: Dave, you always seem to wear flip flops, maybe it's time you switch to top sider deck shoes being around boats and not walking on engine hatch.;)
Remember when you were chasing down a kid wearing flip flops? o_O

Last edited: