WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

schiada whaler????

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
do they ride good???? do any goofy stuff?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
do they ride good???? do any goofy stuff?

They ride the same as the 22 schiada. There were a few built as v drives but most everyone I see is an I/O. As you already know most Schiada’s don’t like to run with an I/O.

Aluminum Belly tanks go bad in the whalers and are a pain in the ass to fix. Check to see if it’s been replaced already.

Lastly they don’t bring much money that I have ever seen.

There are two for sale in Havasu right now. One has a blue ski tower on it. The other doesn’t

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
OD1 and myself owned one a couple of years ago with a 350 and Volvo drive. Personally I think they ride like shit because the bow is light. The more people you load in it, the better it rode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
They ride the same as the 22 schiada. There were a few built as v drives but most everyone I see is an I/O. As you already know most Schiada’s don’t like to run with an I/O.

Aluminum Belly tanks go bad in the whalers and are a pain in the ass to fix. Check to see if it’s been replaced already.

Lastly they don’t bring much money that I have ever seen.

There are two for sale in Havasu right now. One has a blue ski tower on it. The other doesn’t
thank you

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
OD1 and myself owned one a couple of years ago with a 350 and Volvo drive. Personally I think they ride like shit because the bow is light. The more people you load in it, the better it rode.

thanks , kinda what I was thinking

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
IMG_1082.JPG
The open bow on a whaler is just like the open bow on any small 21-22 foot daycruise... its the roughest spot to sit. But the driver seat or bench is located 4 feet back from where the traditional mid/split driver on a day cruiser. You basically are sitting in the "dog house" position which is the best seat in the house for ride quality. The water is breaking several feet in front of you instead of right under you....

I always tell people if you grew up in high school driving single cab Ford 100s with a bench seat and your girl friends always sat in the middle right next to you.... You will feel 18 again cruising in a whaler.... When you get tired of her, send her up front and enjoy the view/ride that way!

hallett21

Reaction score

I would have thought the extra interior would make it bow heavy. Go figure.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score

I would have thought too, but it was the opposite.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Ya... removing the traditional driver / passenger helm and seats plus the 200-400 lbs of driver/passenger weight makes the front lighter without people. I have 70+ gallons of fuel in the side tanks. If I want to ride like a tank, I fill those up with 550 lbs of fuel, put a cooler up front and trim a little bow high. From there I can do a solid 25-30 mph cruise through the rougher stuff. But overall it, a fair weather cruiser for me that get out a couple times a year when the conditions are nice!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I would have thought too, but it was the opposite.

I’m not sure it’s a CG thing so much as a propulsion thing. Generally speaking I/O Schiadas don’t run as god as the v drives. You can make changes to the setup that help considerably though.

If you look at all newer 21’ish I/O boats they all have lifting strokes in the rear. In the case of some of them they don’t even have them in the front and start at the midships towards the transom.

If you look at cruisers from the 70’s and 80’s they generally have lifting stakes in the front and stop at the midships.

The old boats weren’t designed for I/O power, they were designed to be v drives and jet boats.

In the case of the 21 v drives they are extending the back of the boat with cab plates and controlling transom lift by bending them in either direction. The prop under the boat adds a ton of lift as well.

With a standard I/O the drive has some negative trim in it. Most the Schiada’s rigged as I/O’s will run at a negative trim angle or neutral at best.

On mine I had the cav plate recesses so we added fixed cav plates that extended our running surface about four inches. I also added a tail on the outsdrive that adds lift.

With all of that now I run the boat with the tabs even with the bottom and I can run neautral and positive trim woth no issues, or bury the Bose like a v drive when I want.

It also helps that the small block takes a lot of weight out of the back.

Long story short a set of tabs would help a lot. Not short fat ones but rather longer to make it easier to control

Last edited:

Just Ducky

Reaction score
I have an 81 Schiada whaler.its a v-drive that was originally owned by Parnelli Jones.I disagree with they ride worse than a closed deck 22 because they are lighter in the bow.The front seat framing is all glassed to the hull only the actual seat cushions lift out.with all my gear in the bow storage space and under the console seat it has probably more weight up front than a closed deck.Also that walk around deck area is solid as a rock and about two inches thick.Being a v-drive it probably handles way different than an iOS but I was told by the guy who rigged it that it would run 85 mph with the original twin turbo motor so I think handling for the v-drive set up is not an issue.I have run it thru some pretty rough water and passed a lot of bigger boats.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s a CG thing so much as a propulsion thing. Generally speaking I/O Schiadas don’t run as god as the v drives. You can make changes to the setup that help considerably though.

If you look at all newer 21’ish I/O boats they all have lifting strokes in the rear. In the case of some of them they don’t even have them in the front and start at the midships towards the transom.

If you look at cruisers from the 70’s and 80’s they generally have lifting stakes in the front and stop at the midships.

The old boats weren’t designed for I/O power, they were designed to be v drives and jet boats.

In the case of the 21 v drives they are extending the back of the boat with cab plates and controlling transom lift by bending them in either direction. The prop under the boat adds a ton of lift as well.

With a standard I/O the drive has some negative trim in it. Most the Schiada’s rigged as I/O’s will run at a negative trim angle or neutral at best.

On mine I had the cav plate recesses so we added fixed cav plates that extended our running surface about four inches. I also added a tail on the outsdrive that adds lift.

With all of that now I run the boat with the tabs even with the bottom and I can run neautral and positive trim woth no issues, or bury the Bose like a v drive when I want.

It also helps that the small block takes a lot of weight out of the back.

Long story short a set of tabs would help a lot. Not short fat ones but rather longer to make it easier to control

I don't disagree with any of that. The hull rides the way the hull is going to ride regardless of it being traditional or a whaler. But what I am saying is that, all things equal, moving your driver seat back (CG) does make the ride somewhat more comfortable for the people in the drivers area.

BTW - mine is not a "whaler", It has been renamed a 205 CC (Center Console)... or what we call her "the Harpuner"

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

Bruce pederson

Reaction score
View attachment 733564 The open bow on a whaler is just like the open bow on any small 21-22 foot daycruise... its the roughest spot to sit. But the driver seat or bench is located 4 feet back from where the traditional mid/split driver on a day cruiser. You basically are sitting in the "dog house" position which is the best seat in the house for ride quality. The water is breaking several feet in front of you instead of right under you....

I always tell people if you grew up in high school driving single cab Ford 100s with a bench seat and your girl friends always sat in the middle right next to you.... You will feel 18 again cruising in a whaler.... When you get tired of her, send her up front and enjoy the view/ride that way!
Is the whaler for sale

Bruce pederson

Reaction score
I have an 81 Schiada whaler.its a v-drive that was originally owned by Parnelli Jones.I disagree with they ride worse than a closed deck 22 because they are lighter in the bow.The front seat framing is all glassed to the hull only the actual seat cushions lift out.with all my gear in the bow storage space and under the console seat it has probably more weight up front than a closed deck.Also that walk around deck area is solid as a rock and about two inches thick.Being a v-drive it probably handles way different than an iOS but I was told by the guy who rigged it that it would run 85 mph with the original twin turbo motor so I think handling for the v-drive set up is not an issue.I have run it thru some pretty rough water and passed a lot of bigger boats.
Are you interested in selling the whaler
Bruce 949-910-4131

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
This thread is a sure sign that Steve is selling something :D

Bruce pederson

Reaction score
Hi Just Ducky
Are you interested in selling your Schiada whaler
Bruce 949-910-4131

old rigger

Reaction score
Here's a little help for ya...
If you add @ before their screen name the site will automatically notify them via A PM of your question to them in this thread.
example: @Just Ducky

I wondered why some posts had that @ included. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Hi their
I was reading one of your old post about Schiada not performing with IO I am looking for a 22 Whaler any information will be appreciated

Bruce
I don't know about the whaler,... never drove one...I've had a few schiada's just no whalers...