WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another RETIREMENT thread...

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
How many of you don't plan on retiring? Am I the only one?

I own my own business, my son is planning on taking over one day. I like what I do and dealing with 90% of the people I deal with.

I'd love to just keep my office, let my kid and staff take over. I will always need a place to come to. I figure if I retired, my wife would beat my ass within 48 hours of me following her around and bugging her all day.

I hope to work or not work as much as I want, travel, fish, golf, and when I'm bored with that, come into the office a few hours a day a few days a week, if for nothing else to be a thorn in my kids side.

Anyone else have no desire to fully retire

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
If your son plans on taking over your business,If it works,you are in for incredible chapter in your life.Watching and participating with the next generation + family has been awesome.They still listen to me or at least make me think they listen.I'm involved 24/7,but from a distance.

FreeBird236

Reaction score

I own my own business, my son is planning on taking over one day. I like what I do and dealing with 90% of the people I deal with.

I'd love to just keep my office, let my kid and staff take over. I will always need a place to come to. I figure if I retired, my wife would beat my ass within 48 hours of me following her around and bugging her all day.

I hope to work or not work as much as I want, travel, fish, golf, and when I'm bored with that, come into the office a few hours a day a few days a week, if for nothing else to be a thorn in my kids side.

Sounds like a great plan if it works, two boss's can be tough, only you will know if you and your son have that sort of relationship.

cofooter

Reaction score
Would love to be in your position and have your options/decisions. I could see myself involved in my own business doing something I loved and never retire. Unfortunately, working for someone else longer than I need to has no where near the same appeal. I'm looking at options to be able to make my own rules relating to retirement, not found that yet.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I have seen this succeed and fail. Every failure was because of a struggle of power and every success was based on the Senior making it crystal clear that Junior is the boss and he was there only to support. I think it is a great plan as having nothing to do as the fastest way to die in my opinion.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve planned yet. But thoughts are all the time.
When I do I’m OUT fully.
I could not watch and sometimes participate. For me it’s 100% in or 100% out.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Give me a nice retirement house with a air conditioned metal and wood shop to build and work on cars....TV and stereo on the wall and a comfortable chair to hang out in

Last thing I would want top do is drive to work and sit in a office dealing with customers or biz crap...lol

I would want my kid to do his own thing without me having to be a part of it. I won't let my kid get involved and will push him to have a cake union job like Bobby...lol

brgrcru

Reaction score
I plan on selling our business and properties. my son and daughter want no part of it. I totally understand, them.
the sooner the better.
then I will go work for my son and make aerospace parts, a few days a week .
enjoy more river time, go see the country, snow ski a little more and keep riding my mountain bike all over the place.

one thing I would like to do, while traveling the country, is bring my boat along , to see all the different lakes , in the Greatest country .

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
You need to find more/better hobbies if you would rather go to work than go anywhere else, lol.
I love what I do also, but as soon as the paychecks stop I'm the fuck outta here!

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Nine more years, through the 2028 Olympics, will have 37 on. Then on to a Part time Fed job where I travel and teach how to blow shit up, when I want to, and take the wifey along to travel. If you don't do things that can bite you back, you're wasting space, even in "retirement", lol. And I intend to spend a lot of time at the trap/skeet range.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Give me a nice retirement house with a air conditioned metal and wood shop to build and work on cars....TV and stereo on the wall and a comfortable chair to hang out in

Last thing I would want top do is drive to work and sit in a office dealing with customers or biz crap...lol

I would want my kid to do his own thing without me having to be a part of it. I won't let my kid get involved and will push him to have a cake union job like Bobby...lol

That's all I need to. Nice small(er) house and plenty of shop space to tinker.

I'd retire tomorrow if my financial goals were met. Hopefully, that happens before turning 60. I feel no need to grind away until I'm old as dirt. Too many things to do and see, IMO than to work until death.

RodnJen

Reaction score
We are both employees so we will retire. That being said, we are working on business/hobby plan using our respective skill sets. The plan is to volunteer to keep ourselves busy and do normal retirement stuff.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The whole purpose of working was providing for your family and future retirement to do all the things you had to put off while rearing children.
Reigniting the husband/wife thing and dropping the daddy/mommy thinking. Learning to like each other again, so to speak.
It is now my(our) fucking turn to do as we please. I thoroughly enjoy my time with my spouse.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Depends how much money I can make before retirement age. "20-25 years out" The plan is to quit the 9-5 and get more hands on with other forms of "passive" investments, while traveling full time.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
You need to find more/better hobbies if you would rather go to work than go anywhere else, lol.
I love what I do also, but as soon as the paychecks stop I'm the fuck outta here!
And you must have missed this part of my original post.

"I hope to work or not work as much as I want, travel, fish, golf, and when I'm bored with that, come into the office a few hours a day a few days a week, if for nothing else to be a thorn in my kids side."

I golf, travel, camp in my RV, enjoy off roading in my baja, restore old motorcycles, fish a few times a year in Mexico, home improvement, may even get back into boating one day, spend tons of time with my family, I'd say I have great hobbies.

I just like the idea of keeping an office, I think people are reading into this more than intended.

I really don't plan on "working" till I die, LOL.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
The whole purpose of working was providing for your family and future retirement to do all the things you had to put off while rearing children.
Reigniting the husband/wife thing and dropping the daddy/mommy thinking. Learning to like each other again, so to speak.
It is now my(our) fucking turn to do as we please. I thoroughly enjoy my time with my spouse.
Same here, agree 100%. I don't plan on putting anything off, still do anything/everything I/we want to do.

M.I. 388

Reaction score
Interesting topic, for us, when we get our youngest out of college, (hopefully in 3 years) I'm pulling the rip cord.... We MIGHT go run my father-in-laws 500 acre cattle ranch.... We really like it there, only problem is we would have to move off the water to run the ranch!:(

Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score

This x2

And if your wife does not enjoy the same things as you (when you are ready to retire) “because you grew apart”. Get rid of her at any cost and find someone who will and enjoy life. Gotta do it smart and strategically, but do it. It will only get worse the older you get. Spend the rest of your days happy and doing things you love. Your kids will understand. If not, be selfish and think about yourself.

FlatNv

Reaction score
Wait. Thought you were retired. ? You must duck into to your office when you see me coming ..:).
Solid plan buddy. I'm with you, maybe someday we can be those old dudes that have a standing t- time.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Wait. Thought you were retired. ? You must duck into to your office when you see me coming ..:).
Solid plan buddy. I'm with you, maybe someday we can be those old dudes that have a standing t- time.
Let me know when! I'm still waiting to go bike riding...

FlatNv

Reaction score
Let me know when! I'm still waiting to go bike riding...

Ya that was short lived. Lol sticking to 2 wheels with 426cc 's. :). Golf I'm starting to enjoy again. Suck. But enjoy it. We will hook up for that for sure.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I expect to still flip a house or two every year even after formal retirement. But I'd love to do it in new and interesting locations. I know you're gonna and help out Bill!

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Ya that was short lived. Lol sticking to 2 wheels with 426cc 's. :). Golf I'm starting to enjoy again. Suck. But enjoy it. We will hook up for that for sure.
Played Durango Hills out by you a few times, pretty fun course. Let's do it. I suck too!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I don't even know what that word means.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
if you can get that 426 to start. ;)

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

How old is your kid. We are taking applications for new apprentices this week. Lol :D

boatnam2

Reaction score
If I owned my own biz and could leave anytime to the comfort of knowing my staff had it handled and come in whenever, sure why not. But I work for the man and can't wait to wrap it up and get up and do what I want..

2Driver

Reaction score
You've figured it out. The key is to do what you like and have options - you do.

Most us just do something that we like but really don't want to do if given a choice so retirement and a total change is what we look (looked) forward to.

You are doing it how most of us would, don't second guess it. There is plenty of time to sit around, drink and shit your depends later in life :D

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

my wife would beat my ass within 48 hours of me following her around and bugging her all day.

Get a girlfriend?

stoker22405

Reaction score
I really don't plan on being a boss, more of a bother. I'd take the back seat and enjoy. Help when needed, & get in the way more often.

And what if the kid is running the business into the ground....What would you do then?

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
And what if the kid is running the business into the ground....What would you do then?
Fire him and sell the business??

But honestly, he’s been working with us for about 5 years now, i’ll keep running the show for at least 7-10 years so I’ll have plenty of time to slowly let loose of the reins to watch and make sure he’s 100% ready, but I’m already very confident in his ability.

Last edited:

TCHB

Reaction score
9E8A8CD8-43DD-4C6A-BD4C-7E5283B9518B.jpeg
I can tell you retirement can be the best part of your life. You have time to play,play,play, enjoy the family, and do what ever you want.
My wife and had to put a formal schedule up to keep track of all our travel and family visits. We are traveling the world, boating, golfing and enjoying not being tied to work in anyway. I still need to find a new sand toy before winter.

We all have a certain amount of time to do the things we dreamed of. Use it wisely and have fun!!!!!!!!

jet496

Reaction score

This is our exact plan. My customers & going to work are a big part of my social life so I don't want to give it up. Retirement actually scares me. I'd probably drink & eat myself to death.

Hammer

Reaction score
As I’m looking at this thread I’m watching these guys thinking retirement isn’t an option..... lol

I wouldn’t change it for the world. Great advice in this thread. Looking forward to traveling with the wife when the kids are out in their own!

IMG_2087.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
I don't even know what that word means.

Im right there with you botha. I see no end in sight and I will have to work till the day I cant no more.

If my family gave a rats ass, someone would have told me to become a fireman. Those guys are triple dippping at 90% of their pay. Holy hell. I picked the wrong field and became a computer nerd.

Singleton

Reaction score
My retired father is harder to find now then when he was working! I keep telling him, you earned it, so enjoy it! Very glad to see him enjoying retirement. His wife keeps them active traveling the world and spending time with the kids and grandkids.

My goal is to retire once the youngest one turns 30 (22 years to go). However, my wife and I make sure to date each other and enjoy traveling. Big reason the kids go to grandma and papas ranch in New Mexico for 6 weeks each summer. Allows us to go what we want without kids.

stoker22405

Reaction score
Fire him and sell the business??

But honestly, he’s been working with us for about 5 years now, i’ll keep running the show for at least 7-10 years so I’ll have plenty of time to slowly let loose of the reins to watch and make sure he’s 100% ready, but I’m already very confident in his ability.

You would fire your own kid....You are mean...!