WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Haven’t smoked in a week

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
last smoke I had was a week ago right before being admitted to the hospital for surgery.

Honestly the consequences of going to have a smoke after that have outweighed the smoke itself so no problems on that front.

Consequences being having foot below heart it fills with blood rapidly and hurts quite a bit.

If I make a mistake in the crutches and bump my foot it isn’t worth it..

Etc..

Anyhow the point of the thread was to say haven’t smoked in a week and that’s the longest I have been without a cigarette that I can remember since I was a kid.

Still thinking about them quite a bit (as evident by the thread) but haven’t caved yet. I am thinking I might have finally beat it via the pain method. :D

RD

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Well done! They say it takes 3 days for you not to be addicted physically to nicotine but weeks to break a habit. I did it with sunflower seeds (dill flavored) when I'm at the river drinking with friends. Been over 3 months. Keep it up Dave!

mothershipper

Reaction score
last smoke I had was a week ago right before being admitted to the hospital for surgery.

Honestly the consequences of going to have a smoke after that have outweighed the smoke itself so no problems on that front.

Consequences being having foot below heart it fills with blood rapidly and hurts quite a bit.

Etc..

Anyhow the point of the thread was to say haven’t smoked in a week and that’s the longest I have been without a cigarette that I can remember since I was a kid.

Still thinking about them quite a bit (as evident by the thread) but haven’t caved yet. I am thinking I might have finally beat it via the pain method. :D

RD
Good for you, it takes a bit before the urges go away but is so worth it. 1 year and 2 months since my last one and I’m not going back. It feels great to breath in deep.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Stay with it!! Make the best of this situation, you’ll be happy you did!

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Now just make it a week and a day......then two days etc. to me you have passed some of the toughest part.
I'm 3 years at the end of the month (40 yrs) and still think about it. But just wont and really don't want to have one.
I'm weird though, I don't mind being around someone who smokes and doesn't make me want one when they do.
I hit certain times or issues and have to get passed the " I wish I could have a smoke".
I do something real quick to take my mind off it.

Keep up the good fight. as said above....You will be happy you did.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Good on you RD. You picked on hell of a way to go about it but it seems to be working. :D
Your toughest challenge is when you return home and roll out into the garage, the urge is going to be tremendous but if you wait a few minutes it passes. In place of ashtrays and smokes put candy dishes in their place with your favorite hard candies in them.
It's a perfect time/situation in yore life to drop them for good.
Good luck.

Jetboatjosh

Reaction score
Good job! The first week is the hardest..I fail at day 3 usually haha

FROGMAN524

Reaction score

Etc..

RD

Excellent news. My father didn’t quit until he was forced too after having his colon removed in 2010 when they found he had stage 3 colon cancer. I asked him if he quit because of the cancer and he said no he just couldn’t get out of the hospital bed to go outside for over 2 weeks and thus it was a matter of attrition. He still ended up getting two other forms of cancer in the next 8 years anyway and died last year. Either way, he quit because he was basically forced too and was proud of that as was I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BajaMike

Reaction score
Great work Dave.

81570061-2AA5-4067-891E-B5D3C06F85BA.jpeg

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Try tooth picks, it keeps you mouth busy! it works.... I quit 5 yrs ago after smoking 45+ years!

DLC

Reaction score
Great news!

Keep on keeping on as my buddy joe dirt once said

upload_2019-7-2_12-16-3.png

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
so it's almost like you got 3 or 4 free 30 packs CLs with the savings as well to this point.....

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Nice work. After the foot calms down your wife could always get one of those electric dog collars around your wrist and shock the shit out of you every time you want a smoke... haha

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
This might be how to turn a Negative Life Moment into a Positive one? Physically once you get past 10 days the nicotine is completely out of your body and brain. After that it is all just mental addiction (Mind over Matter). It sounds simple, but just quit one day at a time, one hour at a time, or even one minute at a time to get thru it! Before you know it you will have years under your belt! Quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself and my children. And your friends and customers will be happy you did as well. Seriously - after you haven't smoked for a while you will realize that it actually smells like Ass! Best of luck Sir!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I hope that you are able to continue for years to come. :thumbup:

Backlash

Reaction score
Aside from all of the obvious health risks and concerns of smoking, think of how much money you're saving by NOT smoking. Time to spend that cig money on another boat! :D

charlyox

Reaction score
You can do it! Just think of the $$ you are saving. Good luck with the surgery.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Nice work. After the foot calms down your wife could always get one of those electric dog collars around your wrist and shock the shit out of you every time you want a smoke... haha
First thing I thought, "We coulda just chipped in and bought him a blinged out shock collar!"
Would have been cheaper than "Snap,Crackle and Pop";)

Sucks to be laid up RD, but maybe something good can come of it too:)

jetur

Reaction score
That's great news, I know you have been trying to quit. I need to quit chewing, but no luck yet.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Good job Dave, if you can keep it up, you can go the distance.

Instead of smoking , eat sunflower seeds or make similar substitutions.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
That's great news, I know you have been trying to quit. I need to quit chewing, but no luck yet.

I went to these and it worked to kick the habit. Nothing on it says it causes cancer, just addictive. It’s just straight sugar & nicotine.

IMG_2176.jpg

I’m not gonna fool ya. They suck compared to the real thing but they take the edge off.

I’ve only folded once and bought a can of Cope in the last two years so they work.

jetur

Reaction score
I went to these and it worked to kick the habit. Nothing on it says it causes cancer, just addictive. It’s just straight sugar & nicotine.

View attachment 770876

I’m not gonna fool ya. They suck compared to the real thing but they take the edge off.

I’ve only folded once and bought a can of Cope in the last two years so they work.
Thank you for the tip. I will give it a try.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This might be how to turn a Negative Life Moment into a Positive one? Physically once you get past 10 days the nicotine is completely out of your body and brain. After that it is all just mental addiction (Mind over Matter). It sounds simple, but just quit one day at a time, one hour at a time, or even one minute at a time to get thru it! Before you know it you will have years under your belt! Quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself and my children. And your friends and customers will be happy you did as well. Seriously - after you haven't smoked for a while you will realize that it actually smells like Ass! Best of luck Sir!

Thought the nicotine was 3 days?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Thought the nicotine was 3 days?

I think it's 3 days to physically exit your bloodstream and 10 days for brain cells to lose Nicotine? I'm no Doctor, lol.
Either way you got this!

4Waters

Reaction score

Etc..

RD
So you're saying that training through pain association works.:D

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Nicotine clears in 1 to 3 days...mental, habitual cravings will always be there, but that battle sure beats the other one on the horizon if you had continued. :)

77 SLEEK

Reaction score
Nice job Dave Mint toothpicks helped me. Find something you love more than smoking and think about them.. WOW the new and improved Dave, Cool

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
CONGRATS!!!!!!

for me personally... the urge is always there.... just gotta defeat the DEVIL STICKS!!!

May 1995 for me..

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

nuckingfuts

Reaction score
It seems like you always go to extreme measures to achieve whag you really want. Keep it up you got this, been a little over two years for me,

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
For the sake of your kids, don't start again. Throw out all your cigs, lighters and most of your ashtrays.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It seems like you always go to extreme measures to achieve whag you really want. Keep it up you got this, been a little over two years for me,

Well this was kind of a by product of the other thing.. lol.