WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Our Optima blue tops really worth $276?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I got replacement Blue Tops for $160 each, boat already has optima brackets, so changing brands is going to be expensive. Lets see how well they last.
Where did you get them Walt. In Havasu?

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I got 9 years out of the factory installed Centennials in my 08 Eagle, on my second set now, a very good conventional battery.
They have an awesome AGM battery that is made in Germany and usually under $200 for most sizes. I have installes several in various high demand applications for customers with zero issues so far but time will tell

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I got replacement Blue Tops for $160 each, boat already has optima brackets, so changing brands is going to be expensive. Lets see how well they last.
I kept my 3 blue tops for this same reason. Would have had to change all the billet battery brackets otherwise. Plus, I had good luck with the first set lasting 8+ years.

K-DOG

Reaction score
I got my Optima blue tops from Amazon. They work great for me. I have one going on year 12.

78Southwind

Reaction score

So what Blue Tops did you go with? The Starting and Deep Cycle Marine (Light Gray Bottoms) Batteries or the Starting Marine (Dark Gray Bottoms) Batteries?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
So what Blue Tops did you go with? The Starting and Deep Cycle Marine (Light Gray Bottoms) Batteries or the Starting Marine (Dark Gray Bottoms) Batteries?

Light grey. The guy I bought the from felt that if they are not good you will know in a week, otherwise they will last for years, the bad ones seem to go south pretty quick. If that was the case he told me to bring it back and swap it for another in his inventory.

Socalx09

Reaction score
It looks like the optima charger/maintainer is worth it.

Andy B.

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for some nice billet holders for the optimas I have two and they're red in great shape. I live in Vegas i just switched them out this year got tired of replacing them and paying out the a!@#$%^&*.

78Southwind

Reaction score
That was back when they were made well. Lol

I hear ya. What year did the quality go down for the Optima's? I went back and checked the 2006 and sure enough it is now showing 11 volts. I got it load tested and it's done.

Optima Load Tested.jpg

I have what I think is a 2013 that I got load checked today and it is week. Both of these batteries have been sitting in my garage for over a year.

Optima Load Tested1.jpg

I have five more optima's that are sitting in my boats that I need to get checked. I think the others are 2013/14 and 2017/18. But if I can get 8 years out of the batteries without trickle charging I still think I am good.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Light grey. The guy I bought the from felt that if they are not good you will know in a week, otherwise they will last for years, the bad ones seem to go south pretty quick. If that was the case he told me to bring it back and swap it for another in his inventory.

I have always used the light gray batteries but picked up some dark gray from a board member last summer so we will see how it plays out. Let us know if they end up giving you a problem. Like I said earlier, I have always had good luck with them and I don't trickle charge them over the winter. I just charged them at the beginning of the Season.

H2O

Reaction score

@ONE-A-DAY

Was that a warranty replacement cost? Or is there someplace that sells the blue tops for $160?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
@ONE-A-DAY

Was that a warranty replacement cost? Or is there someplace that sells the blue tops for $160?

Thanks.

Brand new, guy in Havasu has a garage full. He does it on the DL, send me a message and I will sent you his info. Hes and off road racer and sponsored by Optima, they basically give him a shit ton of the things so he sells them on the side.

franky

Reaction score
My blue tops (3 of them) went 8 years in my boat....but I do run a guest 3-bank charger and keep them juiced when the boat is in storage.

I think they would still be going strong if the last shop that serviced it didn't leave the key on and put it back in storage without plugging it in, and the battery switch on "all". They were'nt able to recover from that draining
I am six seasons and also have a built in charger. Maintenance is the key.

spark2678

Reaction score
I gave 3 Kinetik batteries that have worked great for 2 years now

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Two best days of this boaters life was when I bought Optimas and when I changed them out.
Never again.

2Driver

Reaction score
In the case of at least Interstate you cant go just by brand name. LOL Costco makes a living by selling "crapped down" versions of brand name products and is betting folks say, wow Interstates for only $99, Interstates at the Marine store are $150

There are at least 3 levels of Interstates in the case of group 24: there is 24, 24 HD, and 24XHD ( See the comparison sheet on these, its a big difference)

I had the 24XHD's in the Ultra for 6 years and they worked great sitting in a 110 degree garage not on a tender. I topped them off before leaving and once again when we got to the river.

Ill pay for the peace of mind and the less hassle of a quality product. I would never play the game of "buy and return garbage products because they will replace it with new garbage products for free"

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Costco interstate battery has 42 months for starting with no threaded post. With threaded post it comes with a 12 month warranty and is labeled marine RV. Not sure if they are made different they felt like they weighed the same as I bought 1 of each. See which last longer $6 dollar difference. If I needed just 1 I would buy the starting and use adapter just for the warranty.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I have stingers. There pricy but well worth it. Way better then the optima. My second choice would be XS Power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
One word. Deka... Done. Never go back to an optima.
One word. Deka... Done. Never go back to an optima.

I got over 6 years on my Deka’s, one was still good, just replaced them. And the first 3 years I didn’t have them on a trickle. I couldn’t believe how well they did for the price