WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Construction estimating program

Rbcconst

Reaction score
What are the GC’s using to bud there jobs on? Not looking for something that generates or has pre loaded numbers. Im looking for something with templates to estimate from. I currently use quickbooks but i have had it, since they switched to the online program it licks dick. At least 4 times now i have gotten to the bottom of my estimate, clicked save and it takes me to the log in screen, when i log in my estimate is fuggin gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Icky

Reaction score
Since I've never used quickbooks......... can you create an excel spreadsheet that does the same thing?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Since I've never used quickbooks......... can you create an excel spreadsheet that does the same thing?

Im not sure. Excel maxes out how much you can type in the description box. In quickbooks i can type as much as i need.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
same MS Dos program we converted to Excell .... 35 years ago... LOL

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Im not sure. Excel maxes out how much you can type in the description box. In quickbooks i can type as much as i need.

Excel has like 60,000 lines.... thatd be one HUGE PROJECT!!

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I use Excel. Just made my own template. You can make your boxes as big as you need.

Sounds like i might need to do the same.

Icky

Reaction score

I'm not sure how you break down your stuff, or how you do your billing. I just watched a tutorial on quickbooks quoting, would never work for what I do.

I have a template spread sheet that I use and break it down per job in the rows. each column has things like materials, fabrication man hours , rentals etc etc. That all multiplies for me, so I can break it down anyway I want.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
We use Hard Dollar. We’re on the larger side of things doing big municipal underground work. For small commercial or residential construction, I’d just build a spreadsheet.

C-2

Reaction score
Isn't Xactimate popular and reasonable as a stand-alone product?

DLC

Reaction score
I made my own but it always needs to be tweaked some, depends on project and type of project. I have 3 different types.

I’m a small contractor.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We have our own that has been passed down for 25+ years....... This even includes travel and expenses as most of our work is out of town (in other states). But like it was mentioned it needs some adjusting from time to time, and you need to have a pretty good idea what it would take to complete the task(s) or your expenses can shoot though the roof.

I've always wondered if there was something else out there as well though......

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score

Crazy expensive. Mainly for insurance work. I believe you have to pay a subscription fee to get regular pricing updates.

Reactions: C-2

McKay

Reaction score
We use Accubid which has been bought out by Trimble.

Hammer

Reaction score
Which one of you cares to share? I’ll show you mine if you show me yours? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsVP

Reaction score
What are the GC’s using to bud there jobs on? Not looking for something that generates or has pre loaded numbers. Im looking for something with templates to estimate from. I currently use quickbooks but i have had it, since they switched to the online program it licks dick. At least 4 times now i have gotten to the bottom of my estimate, clicked save and it takes me to the log in screen, when i log in my estimate is fuggin gone!

Have you downloaded it to your desktop?
We use QuickBooks and I haven't had that problem (I also save every now and then, because I'm used to my design program crashing and then I'm screwed).

We used to use 17Hats, but recently switched back to QB. Great portal, easy to use. My only issue? No progress billing from an estimate. You have to make an invoice.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Have you downloaded it to your desktop?
We use QuickBooks and I haven't had that problem (I also save every now and then, because I'm used to my design program crashing and then I'm screwed).

We used to use 17Hats, but recently switched back to QB. Great portal, easy to use. My only issue? No progress billing from an estimate. You have to make an invoice.
I like qb because we use our payroll. I did download it and its the same, it works off the internet still. I have had issues on both the online and downloaded. Also there is a easily clickable button on the estimate "delete all'. You also can't pre load sheets like you could if you had an estimating template. Some of my estimates are 60 line items so if it deletes it or doesn't save my work then im screwed for at least another hour of double work. QB also freezes a lot for the rest of the office.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Xactimate is more of an estimating software that has pre loaded sqft and lnft pricing. I don't bid that way. I price everything out per job to make sure im not getting screwed. In Xactimate some items are really high and some low.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you break down your stuff, or how you do your billing. I just watched a tutorial on quickbooks quoting, would never work for what I do.

I have a template spread sheet that I use and break it down per job in the rows. each column has things like materials, fabrication man hours , rentals etc etc. That all multiplies for me, so I can break it down anyway I want.
I do all the break downs separate and by the time I put it into QB I am writing the scope and putting a dollar amount next to it. I need to do my break downs on an excel sheet like your talking about, great idea.

500bbc

Reaction score
Exactimate is designed to favor insurance companies and you can't plug in real world prices per quantity.
I'm looking for something similar that you can adjust to real world costing, like my oooollllddd DOS software.:mad:

white tortilla

Reaction score
Im a GC. I use a 16 division excel file that i generated myself and make revisions to for my estimates and then carry the same file onto billing. $15M project last year was able to be managed using my excel file. It can get a little dense with a couple of different sheets and formulas running around in circles but its easy to manage, edit, and its very transparent for me.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Im a GC. I use a 16 division excel file that i generated myself and make revisions to for my estimates and then carry the same file onto billing. $15M project last year was able to be managed using my excel file. It can get a little dense with a couple of different sheets and formulas running around in circles but its easy to manage, edit, and its very transparent for me.

Sounds like ill need to build all my own to have what i need. Ive looked as some of the programs out there and they all either dont have enough, have way to much or it doesnt apply to a GC.

rivergames

Reaction score
I'm a tile sub. Excel is a great tool. Over the years, our shop has put together a spreadsheet to estimate and manage large tile projects.

I bid and landed the new Rams stadium with many many tiles on the job using my excel spreadsheet.

You need to learn the functions. I still don't fully know everything excel can do, but I know what I need to get the job done. If I didn't know anything about excel, I'd definitely sign up for a class to learn!

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
Exactimate is designed to favor insurance companies and you can't plug in real world prices per quantity.
I'm looking for something similar that you can adjust to real world costing, like my oooollllddd DOS software.:mad:

You can adjust the pricing to match real world if it is out and add your own templates to match your projects. Cost is 1500 per year US per station

500bbc

Reaction score
You can adjust the pricing to match real world if it is out and add your own templates to match your projects. Cost is 1500 per year US per station
Not when I was using it. Was told the "adjustments" were only from data supplied by users to keep the program updated.

C-2

Reaction score
I know insurance adjusters use Xactimate, but when used by a knowledgeable contractor, it's pretty solid. Admin law judges accept Xactimate as the gospel and few defense attorneys can find fault with it. We see it used all the time after a contractor abandons a job and a cost to complete is required.

I was told the cost is reasonable, but it looks prohibitive for the guy who does only a few projects per year.