WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The best band ever?

Nordie

Reaction score
I have a couple of of my favorites, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and CCR. I'm relatively young but I grew up on that genre of music. I listen to everything, but when working at my desk I find I listen to those 2 bands the most. Zep is up there as well, and if I wanna piss off the old lady I'll play some Rush (she can't stand his voice)

Gelcoater

Reaction score
If someone asks you this what is your answer?

While I'm a life long Rush fan I'd have to say Led Zeppelin.
Since you’re asking, and I know you find it offensive.
These guys:)
0BCDC0EB-1EE7-429B-ABE2-F0FFB259288F.jpeg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Excarnatus!
We were the fastest death/speed metal band in San Diego County.
Never got an invite back due to the destruction of the venues.
Last gig was just 800 or so and it involved The San Diego County Sheriff's Departments helicopter.
I like muzak.
If they write and compose their own stuff, Anybodies band gets my attention.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
If you go by top selling albums "of all time" (which I believe is fair) the Eagles are number 1. The first boot slapper doesn't come in until 9th. lol http://mentalfloss.com/article/62536/20-best-selling-albums-history

1. Eagles // Their Greatest Hits 1971 - 1975
Copies sold: 38 million

2. Michael Jackson // Thriller
Copies sold: 33 million

3. Eagles // Hotel California
Copies sold: 26 million

4. The Beatles // The Beatles
Copies sold: 24 million

5. Billy Joel // Greatest Hits Volume I and II
Copies sold: 23 million

6. Led Zeppelin // Led Zeppelin IV

7. Pink Floyd // The Wall

8. AC/DC // Back in Black
Copies sold: 22 million

9. Garth Brooks // Double Live
Copies sold: 21 million

10. Hootie and the Blowfish // Cracked Rear View
Copies sold: 21 million

Top Selling albums.jpg

One2go

Reaction score
All good candidates !!! If have to pick 1 gotta go EAGLES

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Can’t say the “best” really.
The Beatles were 4 guys that were all virtuosos. (Yeah I know, ringo)

They completely rewrote the book on song writing. How anyone can write a simple 2+ minute 3 verse song, chorus opening, basically no bridge, and play it with 4 violins, a cello, and no percussion and have one of the most iconic songs ever produced is just nuts. (Elenore Rigby) But that’s typical Beatles. The structure of their music is insanely complicated, yet ridiculously simple.

Then you have Zeppelin.
2 millionaire studio hacks, Page and Jones, and 2 bumpkins from the hills.
Jones and Page basically played every instrument on 2 of Donavan’s albums, Jones usually took over production in the Studio no matter who the artist was. Page was in The Yardbirds for barely a minute, yet walked away owning the name
Zeppelin was pure fucking rock.
Pure fucking bad ass.
Page living in Crowley’s house on Loch Ness, conjuring demons and shit, Plant with his hair and Indian wife, Bonham with his farms and cars, Jones living in his castle. Fairytale shit right there. But when they hit the stage it was EVERYTHING to some high school kid in Stockton.
Page was Plants coach on stage, Jones coached Bonham on stage.
Cameron Crowe said it best.

“What’s the difference between the Stones and Zeppelin? Micks having tea with the queen while Page is hiding his 14 year old girl friend (Lori Maddox) in a hotel room on sunset Blvd”.

We won’t even get into Beck, Clapton,
Bowie, and all the others that schooled together at London art school.

Then you have the Seattle crowd.
Hendrix, Cobain, Grohl, and where the hell does Black Flag and Henry Rollins fit in?

Best band? Impossible to say.

C-2

Reaction score
As much as I like Floyd, Zep and Queen, I concede it's The Beatles. Their music continues to strike a chord with each new generation, whereas the others...not so much.

I'll say this though, rarely does a day go by that you don't hear a Quenn song on the radio AND t.v. in the form of a sampled riff, or in a commercial. Queen is almost as popular today, as they were in the 80's. I mean, back then you never heard "Killer Queen" or "You're My Best Friend" played on the rock stations! That says a lot about them too; everybody loves Freddie and Queen.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
This is a rock star.

39DFEC1A-C220-4CC9-A736-9016D3EC5CA9.png

This is a rock star.

B99F8989-E61B-4115-9574-BB80E6087EC0.jpeg
030DB8BA-15C8-4C35-8545-A54777140630.jpeg

This is a rock star
A6F86EA9-0526-439E-8BAB-417F6FFA5C3F.jpeg

This is not a rock star.

7816BDDA-D685-477A-BE37-86EC275B0BDC.jpeg

Number of albums sold means nothing.
Jack White isn’t on any charts and he’s possibly in the top 10 guitar players alive.
Stevie Ray never broke any album sales records, yet he needed no introduction.

To me, album sales mean very little overall.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
As much as I like Floyd, Zep and Queen, I concede it's The Beatles. Their music continues to strike a chord with each new generation, whereas the others...not so much.

I'll say this though, rarely does a day go by that you don't hear a Quenn song on the radio AND t.v. in the form of a sampled riff, or in a commercial. Queen is almost as popular today, as they were in the 80's. I mean, back then you never heard "Killer Queen" or "You're My Best Friend" played on the rock stations! That says a lot about them too; everybody loves Freddie and Queen.

“I’m in love with my car” was and is my favorite Queen song.

Reactions: C-2

rrrr

Reaction score
The Beatles influenced every band on this list. The fact only one post mentions the obvious winner is depressing.

I don't think that's accurate. From the beginning of Eric Clapton's career, he was influenced by American blues musicians like Robert Johnson. Led Zeppelin was also greatly influenced by the blues, as were many other British bands.

Those musicians never displayed any influence by the Beatles, who were initially a pop group, not a rock and roll band. The Beatles became more progressive after 1966, but they broke up in 1969 without leaving much of a footprint on rock that was generated from 1967 on. I think the notion they were the root from which all other rock and roll grew from is simplistic and very inaccurate.

rrrr

Reaction score
“I’m in love with my car” was and is my favorite Queen song.

Roger Taylor took a lot of ribbing from the other band members about the song. Brian May has said he was pleasantly surprised by its popularity.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I don't think that's accurate. From the beginning of Eric Clapton's career, he was influenced by American blues musicians like Robert Johnson. Led Zeppelin was also greatly influenced by the blues, as were many other British bands.

Those musicians never displayed any influence by the Beatles, who were initially a pop group, not a rock and roll band. The Beatles became more progressive after 1966, but they broke up in 1969 without leaving much of a footprint on rock that was generated from 1967 on. I think the notion they were the root from which all other rock and roll grew from is simplistic and very inaccurate.

I agree. The late 60’s rock bands were in fact rooted in blues and folk singers.
However, the Beatles were a stand alone band. They had no peers.
They went from being kids to musical geniuses very quickly.

Another way to look at it is who in fact influenced the Beatles?
No one really.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
This is a rock star.

View attachment 778009

This is a rock star.

View attachment 778010 View attachment 778011

This is a rock star
View attachment 778012

This is not a rock star.

View attachment 778013

Jack White isn’t on any charts and he’s possibly in the top 10 guitar players alive.

Caught Maiden a few years ago here in Chicoland. They sounded fresh just like their albums.
Piloting your own jet.. priceless. :D
Name another rockstar who does that..

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
This is a rock star.

View attachment 778009

This is a rock star.

View attachment 778010 View attachment 778011

This is a rock star
View attachment 778012

This is not a rock star.

View attachment 778013

I was and am a huge Iron Maiden fan and to find out that Bruce Dickenson became an airline pilot is mind boggling.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Zeppelin doesn't make the Top 5 in my opinion simply because so many times they sucked live. Sounding good in the studio is great, but you have to be able to bring it every night in front of the crowd.
Eagles because of their musicianship and ability to harmonize. Best harmonies outside of the Beach Boys. Great song writing by most all of the band spanning, country, rock, and later pop. Plus decent solo careers for several of the members .

brgrcru

Reaction score
Almond Brothers for me
Even though Zeppelin probably is the best of all time

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
Zeppelin doesn't make the Top 5 in my opinion simply because so many times they sucked live. Sounding good in the studio is great, but you have to be able to bring it every night in front of the crowd.
Eagles because of their musicianship and ability to harmonize. Best harmonies outside of the Beach Boys. Great song writing by most all of the band spanning, country, rock, and later pop. Plus decent solo careers for several of the members .
Saw Zeppelin and Plant a few times. Felt the same way.
Bring it on stage live or go home.

I guess I can say The Who always brought their stage game which nobody has mentioned.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Google led zeppelin plagiarism and see if they are they best bad ever. Naw. Great musicians yes.

Its too soon to say but. Foo fighters have made a impact in 20 years.
Eagles are for sure up there.
Queen. Van Halen. Theres a pretty big list.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
As much as I like the muzak of bands that have a front man.

I Super dig bands with the ladies that have the pipes.
Uber Awesome << ( politically correct) to me is a woman that can sing.
The first woman's voice I can remember that made me take notice as a kid was Carly Simon. Most modern I would say is Adele.
Ya, I shared one of my intimate secrets. Kick me like a dog. I like the Ladies. :D

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I just read a very well reasoned argument for The Who's album Who's Next being the best rock album ever. Not sure I'd rate the songs THAT highly, but he makes some solid points. But Jimi is hard to overlook when you consider that Are You Experienced (1967), Axis: Bold as Love (1967), Electric Ladyland (1968) were all produced in a 17-month album stretch that transcended amost all guitar-playing that came before.

Heart, Pat Benatar, Stevie Nicks, Tina Turner, Lita and Joan from the Runaways all were stars in their own rights and shaped rock in a way all their own.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score

I understand your point about blues influence, but I didn't say the root. I believe the Beatles influenced all of them and there really was no such thing as a rock "band" before them. 4 piece, classic line up, album rock, concept albums etc. All that started with them.

81Sprint

Reaction score
If someone asks you this what is your answer?

While I'm a life long Rush fan I'd have to say Led Zeppelin.

Figured you more of a NickelBack fan, even maybe pre pubescent Justin Bieber woud make more sense

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
There was Alabama, pretty good run as a band,33 #1 singles.
You are correct there are a few that I can think of off the top of my head Charlie Daniels band, the Oak Ridge boys, the Statler Brothers I’m sure there’s many more, I actually have Alabama on some of my playlists I just didn’t think about it at the time.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...The Blueberry Ball Buster Twister Sisters...

spectras only

Reaction score
Like this one too, good beat;)and entertaining and great tunes for dancing shoes.:)
And, there's Carl Perkins
whole lot more

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Metallica!!!! Best live band hands down. Pink Floyd is a close second.

This is my lifelong friend in Anchorage.
He’s a BIG BOY! Lol

Hardest core Metallica fan alive.
He’s single, 59 YO, inherited a grip of cash, and spends all his time doing 2 things.
Slaying Salmon on the Kenai River, and following Metallica around the world.
I don’t know how many countries he’s seen them in, but I imagine it’s every one they’ve ever played in.

He’s been a Metallica die hard since they started.

97C587FC-678D-4786-BB6B-63FE14BFF8B4.jpeg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
If we are talking live performances, The Scorpions need on the list.
And although many will disagree, Green Day is one of the BEST live bands out there today.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I understand your point about blues influence, but I didn't say the root. I believe the Beatles influenced all of them and there really was no such thing as a rock "band" before them. 4 piece, classic line up, album rock, concept albums etc. All that started with them.
Ever hear a guy named Chuck Berry? It could be argued Chuck invented Rock & Roll. If he didn't invent it, he damned sure awakened the public and fellow musicians to it.....

Reactions: C-2

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Metallica or Zeppelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Live...Cream
Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac
Kalidascope
Derick and The Dominoes
Greatfull Dead
Santana
Allman Bros (live the Fillmore
Full Tilt Boogie Band (Janis
Joplin)

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Ever hear a guy named Chuck Berry? It could be argued Chuck invented Rock & Roll. If he didn't invent it, he damned sure awakened the public and fellow musicians to it.....

Ever heard of Elvis Presley... :rolleyes: