WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Taking donations WTF

CLdrinker

Reaction score
FA22506C-6449-4E2F-83EC-BBE96EC3893B.png
So that bad ass jet boat that came off the trailer last week is now on Facebook and they are asking for donations to get it repaired because the owner was too dumb to not have insurance.

Thoughts?

Backlash

Reaction score
I will keep my opinions to myself, but I'll say this.

I cant afford the blower he has on that motor, and I'm not asking ANYONE for money to put into any of my projects. Just saying.

Yes, it is terrible that he lost his daughter and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I can't even imagine what that would be like. Im sorry for his and his family's loss. But to throw that little tidbit of info into the post, and to use it as a way to tug at peoples heartstrings, is not my cup of tea.

Croz

Reaction score
Are there more pics of this somewhere?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm not big on insurance, I'll admit that. Not big on handouts either. I own my Pops' 89 Commander jet bote. It needs new interior, but I've done the pump and a motor is just time and work. My Pops never asked for money, I wouldn't either. The blower and carbs on that boat cost more than the bottom end I built...I'd sell those to fix the hull, if the boat was that important. I know I'd do that to hang on to mine.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I don't get the vast majority of GoFundMe campaigns these days, but then again I don't have to support the ones I don't want to. If some guy wants to give his hard earned money to help a guy build his boat..more power to him. I'll save my money for causes that I think are more important.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score

I cant afford the blower he has on that motor, and I'm not asking ANYONE for money to put into any of my projects. Just saying.

Yes, it is terrible that he lost his daughter and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I can't even imagine what that would be like. Im sorry for his and his family's loss. But to throw that little tidbit of info into the post, and to use it as a way to tug at peoples heartstrings, is not my cup of tea.
X2

I get the connection, but how about donating to a charity in his daughter’s name before asking for donations for a boat. o_O

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Hey, one of the engines needs to be replaced on the boat I sold. I have a sob story too so maybe I should post and ask for free money? I had insurance and everything but it doesn't cover mechanical.

It does appear that it is not the owner asking but someone else instead.

Dana757

Reaction score
He isn’t asking for money. His buddies started that. He might not have known they did it. I’m sure he knows now.
As far as insurance goes. I doubt anyone would insure that boat.

Thoughts?? Don’t donate and move on if that’s how you feel. No need to hack on a guy who’s down tho.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
"going to a great cause", I also am sorry for the loss of his daughter but let's not forget that he's in this mess "cause" he put too much $ into the bote and not enough into the trailer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He isn’t asking for money. His buddies started that. He might not have known they did it. I’m sure he knows now.
As far as insurance goes. I doubt anyone would insure that boat.

With the zoomies it would he difficult..

That said if my friends did that I’d tell them to take it down. I’m not big on charity though.

I don’t even know how many 10’s of thousands of dollars of medical bills are coming my way shortly..

People want to help? Go down to the store and buy some swag! But I’ll jever in my life put a hand out.

401A1939-26DA-4F16-A4A5-166B02CDF2FA.jpeg
99BD6EBD-F73D-4312-B53C-0A1288A3032F.jpeg
8A348A27-F382-4E83-8354-9BCAADA66519.jpeg

Last edited:

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Ooh, I feel bad for posting that after reading Dana757's post. :(

Jetboatjosh

Reaction score
You have a boat like that and no insurance?? My old jet boat has full coverage. The blower on that boat cost more than I paid for my boat.

500bbc

Reaction score
"zoonoses"

Ima get me suma dems.:D

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
If y'all are feeling generous...throw me some chips too....I got a few things I need to get my boat back and ready....and I everyone knows I haven't been to the river in years. Lol...:D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

x3

fmo24

Reaction score
Pretty sure race boats are insured while on trailer. I know years back boat was covered in transit. As soon as it left the trailer no coverage.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In the first thread about this boat incident someone had questioned if this was a boat that was bought by another individual. I hope someone didn't grab a pic, and trying to profit from people's generosity. I've heard of it happening for other things, hope that's not the case.
I guess I'm just a bit cynical when it comes to humanity.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Some folks have no class ...just doesn’t feel right to me. Why would I support this guy’s hobby in the name of his daughter.
As whiteboy said donations should go to a REAL charity in Moly’s name.
Some may disagree but that’s how I feel.
On a side note... I lost both my parents 2 months apart and spent the next 9 months building a blown Hydro from the ground up to deal with the loss. Without donations by the way.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
The hull is garbage. Wouldn’t ever trust A repair done with that power. Pump, rigging etc is probably salvageable. Still not cheap. But obviously sucks for the guy

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The hull is garbage. Wouldn’t ever trust A repair done with that power. Pump, rigging etc is probably salvageable. Still not cheap. But obviously sucks for the guy

If it rolled a handful of times, the visible damage to the port side transom area isnMt all that’s hurt...so I would agree with you unless a trained eye can find and repair the rest of the damage. If one can’t see anything else...even though it’s there, the hull needs to be cut up.

I owned a boat that was light layup intended for a couple laps down the track that somehow didn’t get cut up...30 years later...boat broke and pitched me. That’s a $10K hull...even a single broken bone costs more than that to fix. Not worth the chance...get a new one.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Word I got was spindle snapped on trailer.
Dunno

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That seems to be the new trend for a lot of people. There’s a lot of guys building dolly trailers “for the look” and then running them as normal trailers.
Seems like a bad idea for highway speeds. The "look" is cool, but I also have a couple enclosed trailers I'd haul. The tire speed on a dolly setup would cook the hell out of a bearing real quick once things start to go south.

2Driver

Reaction score
Most good auto policies cover trailered items. If he didn't have proper insurance then it was his decision.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Thats what i had heard also, story i got was he twisted off spindle/hub on a dolly trailer

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Dumb question, but aside from aircraft tires, where do you find dolly tires that are speed rated? The only ones I had seen were like golf cart tires, and tiny hubs. That was a long time ago though, when my neighbor raced hydros...like 25 years ago. Do they have something better now? I'd love to build one, but don't want it to be a one trick pony. Be nice to have a way to transport a boat in the hauler and have a road shelter, maybe hit some other lakes;)

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Dumb question, but aside from aircraft tires, where do you find dolly tires that are speed rated? The only ones I had seen were like golf cart tires, and tiny hubs. That was a long time ago though, when my neighbor raced hydros...like 25 years ago. Do they have something better now? I'd love to build one, but don't want it to be a one trick pony. Be nice to have a way to transport a boat in the hauler and have a road shelter, maybe hit some other lakes;)

https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-...MI44KjxPfN4wIVBMZkCh14sAy-EAYYBCABEgLMsfD_BwE

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Tires are one thing but having bearings and hardware to match the hugely increased rpms is another.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Tires are one thing but having bearings and hardware to match the hugely increased rpms is another.
Very true. For my applications, it would only be from riverpad to launch, 5 miles tops, or "road shelter" at a campground to a launch. No need really to go far. Not to mention, if I put two on narrow trailers, it gets a lot easier to park in the garage at the riverpad...it's some technical shitshow now:)

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Same tires are used on snow mobile trailers. You see those loaded with up to 4 sleds on them. I have also seen them on pontoon trailers, tent trailers. I think like was said, is having the correct bearings and then maintenance is important.

And maybe looking in the mirrors. I had a bearing fail years ago and there was smoke rolling off well before any seizure.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If it rolled a handful of times, the visible damage to the port side transom area isnMt all that’s hurt...so I would agree with you unless a trained eye can find and repair the rest of the damage. If one can’t see anything else...even though it’s there, the hull needs to be cut up.

I owned a boat that was light layup intended for a couple laps down the track that somehow didn’t get cut up...30 years later...boat broke and pitched me. That’s a $10K hull...even a single broken bone costs more than that to fix. Not worth the chance...get a new one.

I don’t know where you’d get that Hull for 10k.