WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Moving from one state to another

RodnJen

Reaction score
There has been lots of movement lately, and congrats to those who have. It was clear in the several threads that everyone has their own reasons for moving, rightfully so. It was also clear that their are multiple opinions about not only what is occurring, but why it is occurring.

United Van Lines has been in the moving business a long time. As a major player in the industry they track trends and compile data. Below is a link to their online tool that shows migration from each state. It delineates between high inbound/outbound states and provides data on reasons for moving, age ranges and income.

Some of the data may surprise you.

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/contact-united/news/movers-study-2018

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
There has been lots of movement lately, and congrats to those who have. It was clear in the several threads that everyone has their own reasons for moving, rightfully so. It was also clear that their are multiple opinions about not only what is occurring, but why it is occurring.

United Van Lines has been in the moving business a long time. As a major player in the industry they track trends and compile data. Below is a link to their online tool that shows migration from each state. It delineates between high inbound/outbound states and provides data on reasons for moving, age ranges and income.

Per this more recent article, California is not staying stable and more are moving out.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-top-10-states-people-are-moving-out-of-us-2019-5

Weird, all liberal states too. Odd :D Well maybe not KS, but 9 out of 10 aint bad.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Why is the retirement outbound is 22% for every state? Same for a few others reasons. Seems skewed.

sirbob

Reaction score
I wonder how they track people that don't use a company like them.

They say... "A leading motivation behind these migration patterns across all regions is a career change, as the survey showed approximately one out of every two people who moved in the past year moved for a new job or company transfer"

As a person who has made 11 corporate moves that were all paid for by the company I worked for and 3 moves that I paid for myself, I don't think they see the reality of who is moving and why accurately. Their data is skewed because basically all they see is middle to upper income people who hire a company like them move. My guess is that the majority of people who move do it without using a national moving company.

My three moves that I paid for were not work related - all 11 that were paid for were. I have to believe I'm not the only one in that bucket.

Last edited:

bocco

Reaction score
some interesting info. Leaving Ca is popular topic between my wife and I. My concern is if we wait to long will the exodus cause lower demand for real estate? Can't move yet but don't want to wait so long that the financial benefit goes away.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
some interesting info. Leaving Ca is popular topic between my wife and I. My concern is if we wait to long will the exodus cause lower demand for real estate? Can't move yet but don't want to wait so long that the financial benefit goes away.

The world will pass you by if you plan life events around predicting the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Properties I've sold this year in OC or listed now are all departing Ca. Most to different areas of Arizona, some Idaho, Nevada and Texas.
The more Gavin opens his mouth the longer he extends my career. :D
Who is buying the properties?

LhcBrad

Reaction score
Who is buying the properties?
I have asked my clients who have moved here (Idaho) that question. Sometimes it is someone who wants to downsize or get a larger home.
And sometimes it was an investor who pays cash and rents out the house. Most people have no idea how many people really are leaving California. The numbers are more than reported im sure.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We are doing pretty good on the whole calexit deal. Lol.

If I could just finish this piece of software we would be killing it

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
A lot of peeps moves here to Kingman. Dunno why. Must be retirees because big paying jobs aren't plentiful. We turn houses over quickly.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Everyone I know that has sold a house in OC in the last several years that is a property above average median price for the city, a Chinese National came in and paid cash for it.
A lot of that going on here in Yorba Linda. Million + $$$ homes.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Everyone I know that has sold a house in OC in the last several years that is a property above average median price for the city, a Chinese National came in and paid cash for it.

Nice mansions and then they add walls and make a 5-6 bedroom a 10-12!

Had a friend that refuses to sell his house because he doesn’t want them fucjing it all up! :D.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I have asked my clients who have moved here (Idaho) that question. Sometimes it is someone who wants to downsize or get a larger home.
And sometimes it was an investor who pays cash and rents out the house. Most people have no idea how many people really are leaving California. The numbers are more than reported im sure.
My boss just bought a 20 acre place about a hour north of Boise. River runs thru it. 800+K Some exec with Qualcomm owned but never got to use it. He has 10 years before he can retire there. First thing he did was change the CA plates on the truck that he left there.. :D

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Nice mansions and then they add walls and make a 5-6 bedroom a 10-12!

Had a friend that refuses to sell his house because he doesn’t want them fucjing it all up! :D.

Not even that really. They seem to leave them alone. It is basically a bank to park money out of the country/get their kid/family a visa and/or attend US schools. There are some that are converted for anchor babies as well. They yet a travel Visa to come to Vegas, then drive to So Cal to have a child.

RodnJen

Reaction score

Everyone, really?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Everyone, really?

Rod.. read the qualifiers. I understand that is a challenge.

This is my anecdoteal experience, not reflective of all house sales.

A Chinese National is buying one of my best friends parent’s house in Irvine right now. They are moving to Vegas.

Met a couple in The Channel 2 weeks ago, a Chinese National bough their house on the lake in Lake Forest 3 months ago and it wasn’t even on the market.. he just threw out a number and they negotiated a bit. They wanted it fully furnished and wouldn’t even let them erase their chalkboard wall.

This couple will be splitting their time between Havasu and Florida.

Wild stuff.

Last edited:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
As recently reported on Fox Business, since the start of the recession recovery, 63% of all homes purchased (new and existing) have been purchased by Hispanics. Although, they make up only 18% of our population.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

People leave California for the same reasons they leave New York. First is taxes, second is the erosion of my rights/liberty.

I have lived in western NY for my entire life of 57 years. It used to be a great place...not anymore. I would be willing to bet that those who have left California would say the same.

The cities of LA and SF control the politics like NYC controls NY state. The city-iots have no idea what it's like out here. They drive from Manhattan to the Hamptons or up I-87 to Lake George or up to Bernie Sanders' place on Lake Champlain. Then they complain about everything that they have no idea about.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Rod.. read the qualifiers. I understand that is a challenge.

This is my anecdoteal experience, not reflective of all house sales.

A Chinese National is buying one of my best friends parent’s house in Irvine right now. They are moving to Vegas.

Met a couple in The Channel 2 weeks ago, a Chinese National bough their house on the lake in Lake Forest 3 months ago and it wasn’t even on the market.. he just threw out a number and they negotiated a bit. They wanted it fully furnished and wouldn’t even let them erase their chalkboard wall.

This couple will be splitting their time between Havasu and Florida.

Wild stuff.

True, it’s happening.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
As recently reported on Fox Business, since the start of the recession recovery, 63% of all homes purchased (new and existing) have been purchased by Hispanics. Although, they make up only 18% of our population.

Racista!!!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
People leave California for the same reasons they leave New York. First is taxes, second is the erosion of my rights/liberty.

I have lived in western NY for my entire life of 57 years. It used to be a great place...not anymore. I would be willing to bet that those who have left California would say the same.

The cities of LA and SF control the politics like NYC controls NY state. The city-iots have no idea what it's like out here. They drive from Manhattan to the Hamptons or up I-87 to Lake George or up to Bernie Sanders' place on Lake Champlain. Then they complain about everything that they have no idea about.

Yup.
Big-city solutions don’t work for folks living in 95% of the nation’s land mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
When we moved we didn't use any moving companies. They changed the address on several things (still need to get my AZ license). We moved cause I knew that I was close to being topped out on pay, crap health insurance (all 3 companies here in Tucson that offered me a job had very similar, stellar health insurance), and cost of living items just climbing almost daily. I could see the writing on the wall that if we didn't move and anything significant happened, we could lose everything.

Now if only someone would buy my damn house in Heritage, we could finally start moving on with our lives!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Oregon is closed...

My word of caution about Oregon is inheritance tax. Oregon does not follow federal limits (up to 11mil) instead tax after 1mil in assets. This is not a net worth calculation, straight assets and it is not limited to assets only in Oregon. Many Ca residents that move outta Ca for retirement can be in for a shock if they don’t update their trusts/wills.

Duffster

Reaction score
My departure from California recently and moving to North Carolina was completely job related. Good company relocation packages don’t come in to view that often it was the perfect opportunity to get out. Huge change being on the east coast but lm glad that I did it.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Everyone, really?

I know in my area of Huntington Beach it is. Of the 15 homes in my track that have sold in the last 5 years every home was purchased by a person of Asian descent.

Millennial Caucasian’s & Latinos are not purchasing homes for the most part. The ones that are in a position to purchase are buying in other states or outside this county mostly due to the high cost of Real Estate in Orange County. Most young people can’t afford to pay $800K for a home. It’s crazy when you think about it. The same home sold 20 years ago for $200K. It’s almost as bad as the used boat market, lol :eek:

Demographics in the USA are an ever changing statistic. Americans definitely love to move!!!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Driving too and from the river this weekend, it was the first time I’ve ever noticed a whole lot of u-hauls headed east. Every rest stop on the eastbound side of the hwy had at least 2, plus saw countless on the road.

I know 3 families personally that left in the last 2 months for AZ.

It’s definitely happening.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
When we moved we didn't use any moving companies. They changed the address on several things (still need to get my AZ license). We moved cause I knew that I was close to being topped out on pay, crap health insurance (all 3 companies here in Tucson that offered me a job had very similar, stellar health insurance), and cost of living items just climbing almost daily. I could see the writing on the wall that if we didn't move and anything significant happened, we could lose everything.

Now if only someone would buy my damn house in Heritage, we could finally start moving on with our lives!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

I'm glad you guys made it out before it was too late.

NY is a fiscal mess just like California, and in many ways worse. The NYCity-iots buy up the waterfront properties, tear down the charming seasonal cottages built in the 1920's and put up these obscene palaces that raise our taxes. Then they only visit once or twice a year. They like to visit the local wineries (which produce swill, IMHO) then complain about the smell coming from the dairy farm down the road. I have watched my property taxes on Keuka Lake triple in the last 12 years. My assessed value went from $135K that I paid 12 years ago (w/only nominal improvements), to over $325K. Add the increases in the rate per thousand and my taxes on that place are now $10K/yr, add to that the $10K I pay on my primary residence and they are bleeding me...for what? I am not certain I am willing to give away my retirment savings in property taxes. When my kids are out of school, we are out of here.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I'm glad you guys made it out before it was too late.

NY is a fiscal mess just like California, and in many ways worse. The NYCity-iots buy up the waterfront properties, tear down the charming seasonal cottages built in the 1920's and put up these obscene palaces that raise our taxes. Then they only visit once or twice a year. They like to visit the local wineries (which produce swill, IMHO) then complain about the smell coming from the dairy farm down the road. I have watched my property taxes on Keuka Lake triple in the last 12 years. My assessed value went from $135K that I paid 12 years ago (w/only nominal improvements), to over $325K. Add the increases in the rate per thousand and my taxes on that place are now $10K/yr, add to that the $10K I pay on my primary residence and they are bleeding me...for what? I am not certain I am willing to give away my retirment savings in property taxes. When my kids are out of school, we are out of here.

I have always want to know why everybody think they can't move until kids are out of school? They will make new friends any where they go.

rrrr

Reaction score

Perhaps you failed to read your linked story past the fourth paragraph. From your link:

Since 1977, United Van Lines has annually tracked migration patterns on a state-by-state basis. The 2018 study is based on household moves handled by United within the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C. and ranks states based off the inbound and outbound percentages of total moves in each state.

Their "study" is statistically worthless. Not only is it limited to United customers, it is also deeply flawed because very few people that move can afford to pay one of the national movers to relocate.

The average cost of a local move is $1,250. The average cost of a long distance move is $4,890 (distance of 1,000 miles). These estimates are based on a 2 - 3 bedroom move of approximately 7,500 pounds.

https://www.moving.com/movers/moving-cost-calculator.asp

RodnJen

Reaction score
Perhaps you failed to read your linked story past the fourth paragraph. From your link:

Since 1977, United Van Lines has annually tracked migration patterns on a state-by-state basis. The 2018 study is based on household moves handled by United within the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C. and ranks states based off the inbound and outbound percentages of total moves in each state.

Their "study" is statistically worthless. Not only is it limited to United customers, it is also deeply flawed because very few people that move can afford to pay one of the national movers to relocate.

The average cost of a local move is $1,250. The average cost of a long distance move is $4,890 (distance of 1,000 miles). These estimates are based on a 2 - 3 bedroom move of approximately 7,500 pounds.

https://www.moving.com/movers/moving-cost-calculator.asp

I read it. We’re not talking about local moves. I’m sure there are other data sets available, feel free.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Put of all my group of about 20 people from hs I still stay in contact with only 2 are left in .ca. one is a chp, the other took over his families business. His parents moved too Montana. People I went too college with it's only those that work for the state that are staying.

Every time I lost a sub or good employee it was too out of state.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I have always want to know why everybody think they can't move until kids are out of school? They will make new friends any where they go.

It cliche to me.
Being a military brat I can not honestly remember staying in one school for an entire year until we got to Alaska, I think 6th grade was probably the first full year anywhere.

Looking back I think it gave me an extremely diversified childhood experience, and exposed me to cultural differences from Mississippi to the Philippines to Alaska and all points in between.
I have no fear or reservations about packing up and moving at anytime, and never have.

To this day I know people who have rarely, if ever, been 500 miles from where they were born. They have no idea what it’s like to go from Sacramento to a truck stop Cafe in Watford City ND in the same day, and have dinner while 20 different diners all have their sidearms in plain view. They have no idea what the Country is like except for their corner and what they see online or on tv.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Calexit class of 2018 here :)
I sure don’t miss the traffic over there or the gas prices.
Paid $2.39 in Tucson today.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Calexit class of 2018 here :)
I sure don’t miss the traffic over there or the gas prices.
Paid $2.39 in Tucson today.

Class of 2019.
Have to Uhaul my shit next days off but I’m excited to start a new chapter and be out of CA.
I loved living there, time to go.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Class of 2019.
Have to Uhaul my shit next days off but I’m excited to start a new chapter and be out of CA.

I agree with your sentiment.
I had some good times cutting class in HS and going to the beach. Rode motorcycles back in the open space that no longer exists. Met my wife at a night club and married there, bought out first house, we put our 3 girls through college. Lots of good memories in So Cal.... but all I see is a concrete jungle now.

rrrr

Reaction score
I read it. We’re not talking about local moves. I’m sure there are other data sets available, feel free.

You posted flawed data and postulated a conclusion based upon it. Local moves? Did you read the second sentence of my cut and paste?

The average cost of a long distance move is $4,890 (distance of 1,000 miles).

Add about $2.00 per mile to that for longer distances. A blue collar family in New Jersey isn't going to hire United Van Lines to move their stuff to Texas.

The bottom line is that your link and conclusion regarding it are invalid. United's data is derived from its customer base, and in no way reflects real statistics about population migration in the US.

rrrr

Reaction score
Put of all my group of about 20 people from hs I still stay in contact with only 2 are left in .ca. one is a chp, the other took over his families business. His parents moved too Montana. People I went too college with it's only those that work for the state that are staying.

Every time I lost a sub or good employee it was too out of state.

Do you not know the difference between "to" and "too"? I'm just wondering, because every post you make uses the improper form of the word.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Class of 2019.
Ha Ha You made it out of CA by about 2 miles...lol :D

The view from your rental to the west is CA...:p

RodnJen

Reaction score
I posted data. Post something better, or continue the tantrum.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Ha Ha You made it out of CA by about 2 miles...lol :D

The view from your rental to the west is CA...:p

Out is out.
I almost pulled the trigger on a place above the high school!
Figured I’d wait until I decide if Havasu is where I’ll die them buy on your street...neighbor!
When we going shooting?
I don’t have to hide my shit anymore.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I posted data. Post something better, or continue the tantrum.

Rod you posted a moving companies work history.
I’ve used movers for in state moves.

I see a LOT more Uhauls and Rider trucks on the road than Moving company trucks...and last month I logged over 3000 miles driving in 5 States.
Uhauls and Penske and riders are everywhere. Van lines not so much.