WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

For the water polo fans

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
I’m going to leave this right here [emoji16].

We restarted the girls program just a little bit over 2 and a half years ago with just 7 players. Finish 3 out of 78 teams at JOs this year.

IMG_1745.jpg
IMG_1758.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RodnJen

Reaction score
Good sport. My daughter has been playing at the high school this summer and is really enjoying it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We have at least one member who’s daughter is into water polo big time. Being scouted by colleges and I think the Olympic team if I remember right.

Just got back from a trip over to Hungary for water polo as well!

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Congrats!

One of the toughest/best sports I played. Looking back I wish I would have continued on playing in college. Young and dumb I thought I knew better.

spectras only

Reaction score
Friend I went to school in the old country was an Olympian silver medal winner with his team in 1972. He emigrated to Australia and coaching the women team there. They beat the US team [ sorry;) ] for gold at the 2000 Sidney games. Water polo is intense and a great sport to watch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/István_Görgényi
Hungarians have a long history in water polo and have great coaches.

Last edited:

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
Polo is growing like crazy right now. It’s one of the few sports out there where female players can play overseas make some $$ and get played to live there.

A couple years ago the club took two 13u teams to Italy to play. No pressure to win just training, playing, and meeting new people. The opportunity boys and girls are getting in this sport just get more and more each year. Next season they are adding a D3 NCAA championship which for a sport that was almost dead 10 years ago is great news.

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
We have at least one member who’s daughter is into water polo big time. Being scouted by colleges and I think the Olympic team if I remember right.

Just got back from a trip over to Hungary for water polo as well!

RDP has always had a cool little water polo community. Every now and then I see a post or two pop up.

Four of the girls in this team made the Olympic Development program with two getting selected for the Cadet and Development nation teams.

WAAZ

Reaction score
Congrats! That's encouraging news about the sport.
Let me guess, all the girls stood up for the national anthem.

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
Congrats! That's encouraging news about the sport.
Let me guess, all the girls stood up for the national anthem.

Lol yeah had they played it. USAWP played it for the first place game and not the second. Which was disappointing.

relaxalot

Reaction score
"Bails" on the boards was the trainer for his brother on the USA mens olympic team.. His brother, Ryan Bailey... pure bad ass.. 4 time olympian.. 6-6" beast.. I havent met "Bails" but I hope I will one day. My son played polo since he was 10 years old.. he is 25 and still plays on a masters team "old men"... I have witnessed Ryan playing many times.. simply incredible. Pure respect for both these fine Americans.. GO USA!

Last edited:

fmo24

Reaction score
My niece played for Cal and now coaches in Oceanside. She took a team to JO’s that did fairly well. Had girls from two different schools to make the team

Bails

Reaction score
"Bails" on the board was the trainer for his brother on the USA mens olympic team.. His brother, Ryan Bailey... pure bad ass.. 4 time olympian.. 6-6" beast.. I havent met "Bails" but I hope I will one day. My son played polo since he was 10 years old.. he is 25 and still plays on a masters team "old men"... I have witnessed Ryan playing many times.. simply incredible. Pure respect for these fine Americans.. GO USA!

My brother was inducted into the US Water Polo hall of fame this summer. I've seen some water polo :cool: it's a great sport.

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
My brother was inducted into the US Water Polo hall of fame this summer. I've seen some water polo :cool: it's a great sport.

Played against your brother in HS and College. When my daughter was a 10u our club would have him visit us at Los Alamitos HS.

Chevy5150

Reaction score
What club do you play for?

My son just took Silver in the JO's Invite for 14U boys. He was pretty stoked since he has only been playing for 7 months. We had a really tough JO quals against some amazing teams like Vangaurd. My son plays for Rancho Tsunami.

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
I loved playing in high school and wish I would’ve gotten into the sport earlier.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Never even knew what a water polo ball looked like until a couple years ago , my girlfriends daughter played so I watched quite a few games and liked it, her travel team won 18u and she got MVP, got to watch that her mom was super stoked. She went to UCLA and played there, quite a few of her team mates made the 2016 Olympic team so that was kind of cool to watch.

6 balls

Reaction score
Water Polo has been very good for my daughter, so good she decided to make a career of it.

Growing up as a competitive age group swimmer she first got into polo her freshman year in HS. Was pretty much a natural and fell in love with the sport. With a pretty nice scholarship she then went on to play D1 polo in college. Three time offensive player of the year, two time All-Conference and two time All-American.

After graduating with a degree in Sports Sciences she came back home and started coaching for SET Water Polo Club and Santa Margarita Catholic High School. Just last week, she completed her masters degree in Coaching and Athletic Training while working as a grad assistant for the Men's and Women's water polo teams at Concordia University in Irvine.

Now looking for a job as a college or university water polo coach.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
This thread just made me realize why I've been icing my knee for the last 2 days.

I played polo in HS for Mira Costa in Manhattan Beach...goalie. Never went to college so that's where it ended but I had a blast.

Tore my ACL (and destroyed a bunch of other stuff) a few years ago and never got it fixed...some prick tied up to my buoy at the river this weekend so I had to tie up way out where it was deep and eggbeater in with a cooler on my head...lol...guess that's what fucked me up again.

Yellow ball is always in the boat for when we end up a cove or sandbar....although they don't seem as sticky without chlorine in the water

Congrats to your daughter and the team.

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
This thread just made me realize why I've been icing my knee for the last 2 days.

I played polo in HS for Mira Costa in Manhattan Beach...goalie. Never went to college so that's where it ended but I had a blast.

Tore my ACL (and destroyed a bunch of other stuff) a few years ago and never got it fixed...some prick tied up to my buoy at the river this weekend so I had to tie up way out where it was deep and eggbeater in with a cooler on my head...lol...guess that's what fucked me up again.

Yellow ball is always in the boat for when we end up a cove or sandbar....although they don't seem as sticky without chlorine in the water

Congrats to your daughter and the team.

Costa? No shit, I played there as well. Graduated in 94. What year were you?

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
What club do you play for?

My son just took Silver in the JO's Invite for 14U boys. He was pretty stoked since he has only been playing for 7 months. We had a really tough JO quals against some amazing teams like Vangaurd. My son plays for Rancho Tsunami.

She plays for United out of Los Alamitos/Golden West College. We live in lb.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Costa? No shit, I played there as well. Graduated in 94. What year were you?

‘99...Coach Nolan got fired at the end of ‘97 IIRC. He was great. We were still co-Ed.

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
‘99...Coach Nolan got fired at the end of ‘97 IIRC. He was great. We were still co-Ed.

That’s my dad. I saw Healy this weekend we were laughing about how much more mellow he is as a grandfather.

Hope your knee gets better.

jet496

Reaction score
Both my boys played all the way through college & right now they play college kids for scrimmages because they love it & keeps them in shape.

We spent a lot of time up in Orange County playing club polo since there's so many teams there.

I'm surprised the sport is not more popular. I guess baseball is just more exciting.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Water Polo has been very good for my daughter, so good she decided to make a career of it.

Growing up as a competitive age group swimmer she first got into polo her freshman year in HS. Was pretty much a natural and fell in love with the sport. With a pretty nice scholarship she then went on to play D1 polo in college. Three time offensive player of the year, two time All-Conference and two time All-American.

After graduating with a degree in Sports Sciences she came back home and started coaching for SET Water Polo Club and Santa Margarita Catholic High School. Just last week, she completed her masters degree in Coaching and Athletic Training while working as a grad assistant for the Men's and Women's water polo teams at Concordia University in Irvine.

Now looking for a job as a college or university water polo coach.

My daughter played for SM from 2012-2016. They might know each other....small world.

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
Both my boys played all the way through college & right now they play college kids for scrimmages because they love it & keeps them in shape.

We spent a lot of time up in Orange County playing club polo since there's so many teams there.

I'm surprised the sport is not more popular. I guess baseball is just more exciting.

Idk I think it’s growing like crazy. They added 412 games to Junior Olympics this year. My buddy is running a team out of Houston Texas and it’s a big club. This past year we had 12 7/8 year olds join polo. For a small club that’s a big jump.

Will it pass the big sports no but it’s growing.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
That’s my dad. I saw Healy this weekend we were laughing about how much more mellow he is as a grandfather.

Hope your knee gets better.

No shit? You were the one with the grey bronco?

old rigger

Reaction score
Neighbor at the river is a 2 time olympic swimmer in the ‘60s but his daughter is a gold medal Olympic waterpolo player from the last olympics. She’s also one of the players hurt in the balcony collapse last week in S Korea. She’s the one that had to have surgery on her leg. Hopefully it won’t effect her chances of making the team next year.