WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AC Repair In Havasu

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
AC was working fine yesterday. Left it at 82 when we went to the lake. Came home from Lake and turned down to 78.

After a little bit, I walked back to our room and noticed the temp on the Thermostat was at 84.

Turned the unit off and left the house. Wife got in around 6pm and inside was 87. She turned it on and only the fan is running.

I re set the breaker and put new batteries in the Thermostat and still no cool air, just the fan running.

House got to 92 last night. Couldn't sleep.

Got a priority request in with Old Republic since it is Health and Safety, but haven't heard from anyone yet.

If they can't get someone out today, I need a recommendation for someone here in Havasu that can come out today.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Shitty. That happened to us in bhc with all the dogs and the babies. Had to go to a hotel. Had to pay the deductible but it was better than 10 grand. New unit now

Foscheck

Reaction score
We've had good luck with Carey's. (929) 846-3018

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have had good luck with Carey's in the past too.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I'll always promote Kool-Wave. Give Harold a call, they won't let you bake. 928 855 5665

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If the air handler is moving air, but the condension unit outside isn't running, 90% of the time it's the capacitor I have to replace them up in Needles every few years because the power is dirty up there and lots of power outages / spikes.

This video sucks but here's what it is.

They make universal ones that you have to jump terminals to get it to match your OEM capacitor's values, or you can see which one you have and get a direct replacement.

It could be a multitude of things, tripped or blown breaker to condensing unit, the inline fuse to the condensing unit could be blown, if the unit has a sensor that shuts it down due to low refrigerant, low or high pressures, etc. But....seems to USUALLY be the capacitor shit the bed

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If the air handler is moving air, but the condension unit outside isn't running, 90% of the time it's the capacitor I have to replace them up in Needles every few years because the power is dirty up there and lots of power outages / spikes.

They make universal ones that you have to jump terminals to get it to match your OEM capacitor's values, or you can see which one you have and get a direct replacement.

It could be a multitude of things, tripped or blown breaker to condensing unit, the inline fuse to the condensing unit could be blown, if the unit has a sensor that shuts it down due to low refrigerant, low or high pressures, etc. But....seems to USUALLY be the capacitor shit the bed

Agreed.. likely it is something easy like that.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Maybe one of the concrete guys can help him swap it out:D:eek:

dezertrider

Reaction score
You all have homes where cooling is a must. Do you all have maintenance plans? We always find bad parts before they fail but in So Cal its not as critical. If its a capacitor it could of been prevented

dezertrider

Reaction score
Maybe one of the concrete guys can help him swap it out:D:eek:
Its more of a hard starting fan motor or compressor that causes capacitor failures. In the Havasu heat most manufacturers recomend a hard start kit to revent this problem. They normally dont come with one.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
You all have homes where cooling is a must. Do you all have maintenance plans? We always find bad parts before they fail but in So Cal its not as critical. If its a capacitor it could of been prevented
Carey does a semi annual inspection on my AC and 2 swamp coolers. Usually in Oct and April. He does find potential problems during these inspections and fixes them.

PlanB

Reaction score

I have Carey come and service our AC every year before summer.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I had a maintenance plan for the river house, still had the same issues. When I looking into what they were checking on their scheduled visits, it was just checking for a clean filter, and if the vent temps were in line. They weren't cracking the unit open, testing capacitors, checking freon levels, etc. Cancelled that plan. I'm sure there are other outfits, in other places, that do a better job but for me it wasn't worth cost.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Pays to have connections in the Real Estate industry. My buddies wife is a rep for Old Republic warranty and was able to get someone to come out between 1 and 3 today.

Hopefully it isn't anything major.

robby dmax

Reaction score

I just have to ask how do you know when the capacitor is going bad?
Just curious

robby dmax

Reaction score
But yes I agree it is probably a bad cap and will not start the compressor.
That is why I have a couple at the house as a backup plan

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Just curious

It wont turn on (bad), or makes a ton of extra noise when spinning up after switching on like it is "spinning up"

Of course testing it and seeing if it is within spec is a surefire way.

Singleton

Reaction score
Pays to have connections in the Real Estate industry. My buddies wife is a rep for Old Republic warranty and was able to get someone to come out between 1 and 3 today.

Hopefully it isn't anything major.

So much for boating today.
We are heading to the new restaurant by Islander in an hour (wife still working remotely).

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Carey all the way!
Arrived to town at 10pm when my a/c wasn't working but I luckily had a window a/c stashed in the garage to at least cool my bedroom until Carey could come the next day. Carey answered my call at 10sumtin pm from the bar.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Carey's. Great guy to have working on my a/c. 928-846-3018
this he came out on a saturday checked mine and since he didn't find anything he wouldn't charge me or take any money. but it hasn't fail since he looked at it.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
So much for boating today.
We are heading to the new restaurant by Islander in an hour (wife still working remotely).
Is that place open??

We are going to launch after the ac guy is done.

Singleton

Reaction score
Is that place open??

We are going to launch after the ac guy is done.

I was told yes by the ladies at the Islander when I made my Monster Bash RV reservation today.
We are really changing it up, dragging the ToyHauler out to Havasu for Monster Bash this year!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Busted Capacitor

Now we go boating
20190809_131836.jpg

dezertrider

Reaction score
Just curious
We can measure the capacitor with one of our tools. If the capacitor is out of range + or - 10% you need to replace it. We also measure in rush compressor amps. If they are above the manufacturers name plate rating we add a boost capacitor. This helps protect the capacitor due to hard starting compressors. Measure refrigerant charge and air flow is also recomended pre summer.

robby dmax

Reaction score
It wont turn on (bad), or makes a ton of extra noise when spinning up after switching on like it is "spinning up"

Yes I know that it will not start up the compressor.. I was referring to the guy that quoted we should have a maintenance plan on our AC units and I wanted to know how do you check if a capacitor is going bad.
Capacitors are usually good or bad.
And usually when they're bad they're blown up.
Of course testing it and seeing if it is within spec is a surefire way.

robby dmax

Reaction score
We can measure the capacitor with one of our tools. If the capacitor is out of range + or - 10% you need to replace it. We also measure in rush compressor amps. If they are above the manufacturers name plate rating we add a boost capacitor. This helps protect the capacitor due to hard starting compressors. Measure refrigerant charge and air flow is also recomended pre summer.

I am going to say most capacitors are already either high or lower right out of the box.
And yes I have one of those special meter to check capacitors.
The other stuff sure check away
Not going to argue checking start-up current

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Carey's. Great guy to have working on my a/c. 928-846-3018

Saved my butt last trip. fan motor was "screaming" an hour after we arrived..... can't lube it ? I took off the lid, put it upside down and found a small hole in the bottom of the motor (Don't know why - but part of the design) I was able to put the little red tube from a electrical contact cleaner in the hole and sprayed 1/4 of the can in at every angle I could. Put everything back together.... purred like a kitten for the next 15 hours... the guys that Carey sent over, said what I did should not have fixed it.... I agree but I wanted to try something.... being a 16 year old motor, I had them replace it as I can't have a house with a 4 and 2 year old and the wife getting hot in the middle of the night. Or show up next trip to a house in the 90's...…

Dalton

Reaction score
I had a maintenance plan for the river house, still had the same issues. When I looking into what they were checking on their scheduled visits, it was just checking for a clean filter, and if the vent temps were in line. They weren't cracking the unit open, testing capacitors, checking freon levels, etc. Cancelled that plan. I'm sure there are other outfits, in other places, that do a better job but for me it wasn't worth cost.

throwing gauges on is a little bit of a toss up, you lose refrigerant every time

HCP3

Reaction score
Nice to know HVAC guys don't need to be licensed in three states.

robby dmax

Reaction score
ive never seen that

So all the caps you pull out of the box are Exactly What they say they are?
Wow we’re are you getting them ours are always a little different not much
Little higher little lower than what is on it.

Dalton

Reaction score
So all the caps you pull out of the box are Exactly What they say they are?
Wow we’re are you getting them ours are always a little different not much
Little higher little lower than what is on it.

sure, theyre exactly what they say on the label

84miller

Reaction score
Off subject, but my neighbor's 1984 original forced A/C unit still works great and is the quietest of all the neighbors. Every time I walk by and hear and see it running, I am just amazed. The condensing outside unit, is very odd looking, something out of the Jetsons' cartoon. I asked how they have kept it running this long, they said they oil it every time they are out. 35 years old, nothing replaced, wish I had that luck with mine, which I replaced everything, last year.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Off subject, but my neighbor's 1984 original forced A/C unit still works great and is the quietest of all the neighbors. Every time I walk by and hear and see it running, I am just amazed. The condensing outside unit, is very odd looking, something out of the Jetsons' cartoon. I asked how they have kept it running this long, they said they oil it every time they are out. 35 years old, nothing replaced, wish I had that luck with mine, which I replaced everything, last year.
But the power that thing must use compared to current stuff.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
AC was working fine yesterday. Left it at 82 when we went to the lake. Came home from Lake and turned down to 78.

After a little bit, I walked back to our room and noticed the temp on the Thermostat was at 84.

Turned the unit off and left the house. Wife got in around 6pm and inside was 87. She turned it on and only the fan is running.

I re set the breaker and put new batteries in the Thermostat and still no cool air, just the fan running.

House got to 92 last night. Couldn't sleep.

Got a priority request in with Old Republic since it is Health and Safety, but haven't heard from anyone yet.

If they can't get someone out today, I need a recommendation for someone here in Havasu that can come out today.

go stay at my house....and carey's the man...