WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nitto tires

Your ad here

Reaction score
Over the years I have had 22 nitto tires on my trucks, 3/4 and 1 ton. Terra Grapplers and Dura Grapplers. Trucks don't tow heavy or very much. Yesterday this happened for the 8th time. Broken belts in the tire so there is a lump in the tread. Was coming back from the river and knew what happened when the truck started shaking. Threw the spare on. This set was a replacement set for the last set that did the same thing. The recall process was a nightmare with Nitto. Took 5 months and nasty phone calls. Glad to be getting rid of these things. Happened to both the dura and terra grapplers I had.
20190812_182436.jpg
20190812_182543.jpg

JD D05

Reaction score
I have had 3 sets of the teragrapplers and tow heavy etc with no issues. Got 45 to 49 K out of every set.

Cdog

Reaction score
Yep. I had it happen 3 times and then I called it quits with those piece of shit tires. After the first one I thought, well every mfg makes a stinker every once in a while. Discount tire replaced the tire, I bought 1 new and use the other on that axle as a spare. Time went on then I lost another the same way. Did the same. Bought one and warranty out the shit tire. Luckily I saved the 1/4 tread tire because one of the newer ones let go on me the same way towing in the middle of nowhere on the way to the race track.

Nitto. No fucking way. Not again.

I know Toyo is the same company but I’ve head their AT/MT is better.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Yep happened to me twice 285 70 17 Nitto terra grapplers load range E

jetur

Reaction score
I'm done with them. Last set dry rotted within 2.5 yrs. Current set is 2 yrs and a couple months, half tread and starting to dryrott. I live outside of PHX but haven't had this problem till recently.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
Toyo, nitto, silverstone all same parent company but different plants. In essence all the same but have always had better luck and info on toyo tires. 3 sets of toyo at 2 tires on the Duramax all 3 got over 80k miles on them. 35x12.5-20
Last i was told nitto has a national recall on certain lines of tires

Cdog

Reaction score
If you want a good laugh, google this subject and find your way to the diesel forums. Some guys get so pissed off when you trash their favorite tire you’d thought you had called their mother a whore and their wife a cunt. Lmao!

riverroyal

Reaction score
I had bfg all terrains do that. Never again
My toyo AT are incredible at 20000 miles. They wont wear out!

floatn turd

Reaction score
I have Toyo problems.

I don't feel like RE-typing out the whole story.
But
I will take any and every opportunity to bad mouth their shitty tires.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Had Nittos once. They were garbage. Noisy as hell and always chirping whenever you hit dips etc.

I run Toyos on my 3/4 now and have been happy with them.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
If you want a good laugh, google this subject and find your way to the diesel forums. Some guys get so pissed off when you trash their favorite tire you’d thought you had called their mother a whore and their wife a cunt. Lmao!
Haha way to true. They are all panty twisted on those sites!!

riverroyal

Reaction score
I have Toyo problems.

I don't feel like RE-typing out the whole story.
But
I will take any and every opportunity to bad mouth their shitty tires.
Wow. Type away! I have 35s x 20.
F150. I like mine so far

Your ad here

Reaction score
I started out on those sites 14 years ago and they are a different type of people. Haven't been into it though for the last 5 years. I still wonder where Barney, The Mule, and Pumpkin trucks are these days. JD probably knows.

Cdog

Reaction score
I tried to explain to these numb nuts. I drive road race cars. I tow all over the country. I buy about a dozen sets of Hoosier race tires a year. I have a unique sense of feel what the car is doing by my ass in the seat, brake and rotation under throttle. I pay attention to stuff normal drivers ignore.

Beaufort proceeded to tell me he’s never had a problem with his and it must be something I’m doing wrong. Lmfao! Bunch a fuck sticks!!

Last edited:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had bfg all terrains do that. Never again
My toyo AT are incredible at 20000 miles. They wont wear out!

Same here with the BFGs. Discount Tire had to replace all 5 within a span of 2 weeks on the old truck. Never again.

Definitely paying attention to this thread now that we'll be buying tires for the new truck soon...

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

floatn turd

Reaction score
Wow. Type away! I have 35s x 20.
F150. I like mine so far

Well....... You asked for it!

Short version of the story:
Bought my used truck and a set of 37s Open Country tires came with it.
That set dry rotted and cracked before the tread even got close to wearing out.

So, I replaced them with a new set.
(Since I didn't know the "history" of the first set)
Not even 10K miles and under 2 years later, the new set did the same damn thing!!!

Note:
My truck is not stored in direct sun light nor it is a daily driver.

I contacted Toyo after my Mechanic said "man..... I wouldn't tow my boat thru the desert on that crap"

Well, the good people at Toyo couldn't give two shits!!
I sent them pictures and a "write up" from the shop that I bought them from.
They had me talk to all kinds of different people and go their own shops for tire inspections.

Everyone that saw these tires said the same thing.
That they "have never seen such extensive Ozone Damage on tires that were that new".
This includes their own Distributors that I was sent to.

After more hoop jumping and emails, Toyo did offer to reimburse me couple hundred bucks for a new set of $1600 tires.
(based on a tire wear dollar amount formula that they sent me)

I would be reimbursed AFTER I paid full price for the new ones and the old ones were sent back to Toyo for inspection.

I told them to fuck off and keep the couple hundred.
I'd rather not have their tires on my Truck.
And
I'd rather talk people out of buying their crap for the rest of my days.

37x13.5x18
Toyo Open Country

= Don't chance it.
Buy another brand.

FT

thedan

Reaction score
I had 2 Nitto Terra Grapplers break in the same way.

shreve"T"

Ex-So Cal.
Reaction score
I've had Toyo's on 3 trucks both M/T's and R/T's and have had NOT 1 issue with them at all !! I was just about to put Nitto's on this new truck and went back with Toyo's because of the issues they are having..

motormonkey

Reaction score
Tires are going to shit these days, maybe out of date:D. Great luck with Michelan tires.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
doesn't matter what brand name tire you buy if you're not paying attention to the load index rating of the tire. "load range E" don't mean shit. google DOT load index rating and find the chart if you don't already know about it. carry on.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Paying attention...

2008 Dodge Ram MegaCab 2500 - Currently running Yokahama's, which are on their last legs. These tires have been ok except have not gotten the advertised mileage out of them.

Was looking at Toyo's, but maybe I need to do some more research......

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Toyo, nitto, silverstone all same parent company but different plants. In essence all the same but have always had better luck and info on toyo tires. 3 sets of toyo at 2 tires on the Duramax all 3 got over 80k miles on them. 35x12.5-20
Last i was told nitto has a national recall on certain lines of tires

For North America, Nitto Grappler series tires, and Toyo Open Country series, are made at the same plant in Georgia [emoji106]

Carcass construction among like-tires them is basically the same. Sidewalls and tread patters do differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cdog

Reaction score
For North America, Nitto Grappler series tires, and Toyo Open Country series, are made at the same plant in Georgia [emoji106]

Carcass construction among like-tires them is basically the same. Sidewalls and tread patters do differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess they’re all garbage then. What’s everybody running now? I need an E series tire for towing but an AT/MT for when I’m not towing.

I’m running the Discoverer STT Pros currently. Great looking tire, handles well but wears quickly.

JD D05

Reaction score
I started out on those sites 14 years ago and they are a different type of people. Haven't been into it though for the last 5 years. I still wonder where Barney, The Mule, and Pumpkin trucks are these days. JD probably knows.

The 2nd generation of diesel owners or "fans" ruined it. In the late 90's until about 2010 man it was so much fun. Barney I assume is Mike Dillehay's 7.3 he sold it long ago, the pumpkin I am sure you are talking about Elmo's old 7.3.

JD D05

Reaction score
I guess they’re all garbage then. What’s everybody running now? I need an E series tire for towing but an AT/MT for when I’m not towing.

I’m running the Discoverer STT Pros currently. Great looking tire, handles well but wears quickly.

I still run the Nitto. On this set and my last 2 that went for 50K I run them way under the recommended air pressure also lol.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

A buddy of mine is running the General Grabber ATX. 06 LBZ crew cab long bed 4wd. Saw him on Sunday. Tires are wearing well and he said all around traction has been solid. Had them on since December.

General is made by Continental.

Tireman

Reaction score
Over the years I have had 22 nitto tires on my trucks, 3/4 and 1 ton. Terra Grapplers and Dura Grapplers. Trucks don't tow heavy or very much. Yesterday this happened for the 8th time. Broken belts in the tire so there is a lump in the tread. Was coming back from the river and knew what happened when the truck started shaking. Threw the spare on. This set was a replacement set for the last set that did the same thing. The recall process was a nightmare with Nitto. Took 5 months and nasty phone calls. Glad to be getting rid of these things. Happened to both the dura and terra grapplers I had. View attachment 786519 View attachment 786520
DURA GRAPPLER IS SHIT. see it on every single one

Tireman

Reaction score
doesn't matter what brand name tire you buy if you're not paying attention to the load index rating of the tire. "load range E" don't mean shit. google DOT load index rating and find the chart if you don't already know about it. carry on.
MOST OF THESE TRUCKS need a load range f tire. 85psi max just like they came with from the factory.

JD D05

Reaction score
MOST OF THESE TRUCKS need a load range f tire. 85psi max just like they came with from the factory.

There is no way I would ever run that, I would rather replace tires at 25K. I run mine at 35psi, they ride like absolute shit above 50. These are 22's though not stockers...

Cdog

Reaction score
I still run the Nitto. On this set and my last 2 that went for 50K I run them way under the recommended air pressure also lol.

I'm not fond of sitting on the side of the freeway in 110 degree heat. But you drive a ford so I guess you're use to that sort of thing anyway.. LOL!:eek::D:D

JD D05

Reaction score
I'm not fond of sitting on the side of the freeway in 110 degree heat. But you drive a ford so I guess you're use to that sort of thing anyway.. LOL!:eek::D:D

I have never had that happen in my Ford's or any of the Dodge truck I owned. I understand other's have had issue's with Nitto's but I had them on all my trucks and so has my bro with zero issues.

Cdog

Reaction score
I have never had that happen in my Ford's or any of the Dodge truck I owned. I understand other's have had issue's with Nitto's but I had them on all my trucks and so has my bro with zero issues.

Maybe you're not driving fast enough?

On a serious note. It maybe the heat here in AZ that kills them. If you run under recommended air pressure they wore out faster. If you ran a recommended air pressure they wore even, lasted until they failed but had a harsher ride. I was able to replicate the issue 3 times on the standard DG and G2's. Garbage....

Last edited:

JD D05

Reaction score

On a serious note. It maybe the heat here in AZ that kills them. If you run under recommended air pressure they wore out faster. If you ran a recommended air pressure they wore even, lasted until they failed but had a harsher ride. I was able to replicate the issue 3 times on the standard TG and G2's. Garbage....

I drive 75 towing when it is safe but usually around 65, they have always worn even.

Cdog

Reaction score

I go to the discount tire that's next door to the corporate office. The guys in there bend over backwards to make you happy if you're cool with them. The last guy I spoke to brought up that perhaps I should be running a commercial duty tire. That will kill the look of my truck that I use for a driver not just towing so I went with these Discoverer STT Pros. The sidewalls are stiff and dont have a spongy bulge like the Nitro's did. But they wear really fast..

Cdog

Reaction score
I drive 75 towing when it is safe but usually around 65, they have always worn even.

I really wish your antidotal responses would fix all my broken nitto's. :D Perhaps you're the tire whisperer. They should hire you at Nitto as an advisor or the warranty denial guy. LOL!

JD D05

Reaction score
I really wish your antidotal responses would fix all my broken nitto's. :D Perhaps you're the tire whisperer. They should hire you at Nitto as an advisor or the warranty denial guy. LOL!

Ha! All I can do is report my experience with them....
These have 47K on them.
Resized952019081395103301.jpg

These have 25k
IMG-20190813-WA0000.jpg

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Expand your possibilities. Check out General's ATX line. They wear well and aa advertised. Great traction and a quiet ride.
Plus they are likely cheaper than anything else you are looking at, if you are looking for a stock sized tire.

JD D05

Reaction score
I have never ran them but I know of friends that have had good luck with Hankook.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Based on a bunch of research I did a while back I recommended a set of the Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms to a buddy to replace the shit goodyear tires on his 4 runner...transformed the truck, especially when towing. He bought a Toyota Sequoia with some crap Coopers on it and replaced them with the Hankooks...much better. He tows a 6K lb toy hauler all over the place, has about 30K on them and they look great.

I put a set of the Hankooks on the wifes 4runner about a year ago...she's racked up about 15K miles and they look like new and ride great.

I'll be putting a set of "E" rated Hankooks on my 1500HD when these garbage BFGs are done soon

Your ad here

Reaction score

On a serious note. It maybe the heat here in AZ that kills them. If you run under recommended air pressure they wore out faster. If you ran a recommended air pressure they wore even, lasted until they failed but had a harsher ride. I was able to replicate the issue 3 times on the standard DG and G2's. Garbage....
It's not the heat. 7 of the 8 failures I had where in Southern California. Drove the Nittos on nice roads in OC and Inland Empire. There are pot holes but not to violent compared to the craters in LA. This truck never went to LA. Looking at getting the Yokohama Geolander AT this round in a 285/75/16.

Tireman

Reaction score
There is no way I would ever run that, I would rather replace tires at 25K. I run mine at 35psi, they ride like absolute shit above 50. These are 22's though not stockers...
22s on at 3/4 ton? even more reason to run load range f's...1/2 ton no prob...

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
my load range e nittos are rated at over 4000 lbs per tire. same tire different size same load range only rated for 2600 lbs per tire. telling you its all about little number load index rating

JD D05

Reaction score
my load range e nittos are rated at over 4000 lbs per tire. same tire different size same load range only rated for 2600 lbs per tire. telling you its all about little number load index rating

I would not do it but I know a number of guys that pull heavy with Nitto 420's...

BajaMike

Reaction score
Only Michelin for me. Last forever, never had one fail.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I had a buddy who had 2 sets of load E nittos do the same thing, low miles, daily driver that he used to tow (~10k) but mostly empty.

I’ve been running Hankook Dynapro ATMs on my F250. Extremely happy with them, all I use the truck for is towing, they have ~40k and look brand new.
Over the years I have had 22 nitto tires on my trucks, 3/4 and 1 ton. Terra Grapplers and Dura Grapplers. Trucks don't tow heavy or very much. Yesterday this happened for the 8th time. Broken belts in the tire so there is a lump in the tread. Was coming back from the river and knew what happened when the truck started shaking. Threw the spare on. This set was a replacement set for the last set that did the same thing. The recall process was a nightmare with Nitto. Took 5 months and nasty phone calls. Glad to be getting rid of these things. Happened to both the dura and terra grapplers I had. View attachment 786519 View attachment 786520

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Based on a bunch of research I did a while back I recommended a set of the Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms to a buddy to replace the shit goodyear tires on his 4 runner...transformed the truck, especially when towing. He bought a Toyota Sequoia with some crap Coopers on it and replaced them with the Hankooks...much better. He tows a 6K lb toy hauler all over the place, has about 30K on them and they look great.

I put a set of the Hankooks on the wifes 4runner about a year ago...she's racked up about 15K miles and they look like new and ride great.

I'll be putting a set of "E" rated Hankooks on my 1500HD when these garbage BFGs are done soon
Here’s my Dynapros on my F250. I guess more like 30k miles now that I think about it. Either way, they look like they have zero wear.
FEF3028C-A147-43D0-8A39-733DAC6845EB.jpeg

923860DE-6F01-442B-A84F-68E155C1650D.jpeg

spectracular

Reaction score
It is a combination of weight and heat. Most 1 tons diesels are pretty damn close to max weight on the front end. My F350 was close to 5500# on the front axle when I had it weighed. Tires are rated at 3300 IIRC. So that only leaves 1000# buffer on the front. The rear had like 3000# buffer.

Used to run Mickey Thompsons back in the day. Loved those tires. The sidewalls were stiff enough to not sway like the old swampers would. Ive had great luck with BFG's (35 Mud and All terrains). Nice and quiet too.

Have a buddy here in TN running FUEL Mud terrains on his trucks. Those will be my next tire.