WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shoulder Surgery- Anyone?

Meaney77

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I was doing a good deed and hurt myself in the process.

Family and I were up at the beach for the day. I was sitting in my beach chair sipping on a mimosa when I watched a guy try and carry his paraplegic friend out of the water across the beach. I offered help and he said he had it handled- they do this all of the time. When they got to the rocky area of the beach (Rincon Parkway) I offered to help again and he said he had him- until he didn't have him and fell carrying his paraplegic buddy in the rocks. I reached down to help and when I tried to pull the dead weight of the paraplegic guy up, I heard my should pop and make all sorts of funny noise and immediately didn't feel right.

I dealt with it for a few days and eventually got it x-rayed. Results came back with no observations but took it easy for a week. After a week still didn't feel right so I had an MRI done. MRI shows I have a class 3 SLAP tear on my Labrum which doesn't heal without surgery.

So now trying to figure this out- Its like a 3 month recovery which blows- it puts a damper on the few remaining boating trips we have planned, work trips, family trip to NC, etc.... and slowly creeping into off road season. 6 weeks of the recovery is very minimal movement of my arm- its pretty much in a sling at my side with no movement other that trying to spray some deodorant to cut down on the stink. Also kind of hard with 3 young kids at home. Pretty frustrating to say the least- especially because 75% of the time I dont have much pain but it wont heal on its own and will only get worse.

Anyone have the surgery? What should I expect? I can deal with the pain, its the little to no activity, and heavily relying on my wife to do stuff like help getting dressed and putting a shirt on that is going to kill me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, on both shoulders. The sooner you get the surgery, the quicker your recovery will be. Not sure where you live but Dr. Tal David in San Diego literally wrote the book on Arthroscopy of the Shoulder (it is on the desk of every orthopedic surgeon). I was recovered 100% in about 8 weeks.

Babyback

Reaction score
Yep. Same tear in left shoulder almost 11 years ago. Having the arm immobilized for 4-6 weeks is tough. PT was rough to begin with but makes all the difference in the world.

I don’t remember being fully recovered in 8 weeks...I think I had 12-16 weeks of PT (3x per week). I’m pretty active and need to rebuild the strength and range of motion in the shoulder.

You can wait if you have a three month window this winter. I waited almost a year to do mine. Mainly experienced discomfort and lost of strength when doing some activities during the year.

PM if you have additional questions.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I had my labrum done when I was 17. Tore it the 2nd week of football season and got it fixed 2 weeks after the state championship. Shoulder was definitely the most difficult recovery of all of the ones I have had (foot x2, knee, mild facial reconstruction) because you don't realize how much small movement in the shoulder you usually do until you can't. Little things like laughing, sneezing, or coughing will double you over in pain for the first couple weeks.

Another Doc recommendation of Dr. Freedberg with ASMC in Scottsdale. He is part of the Cardinals, Coyotes, and Oakland A's team docs specializing in shoulders, does a lot of work for PGA folks as well.

With any joint injury, the most important part is going to be doing your rehab, you will start to feel better pretty quickly but don't stop the rehab until everything feels 100% back to normal.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Had both done also!....Scope didn't take care of mine!....With matching 4 inch scars on both sides...Recovery took some time!....Easy twice as long as you will be! ICE is your friend!!

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
With any joint injury, the most important part is going to be doing your rehab, you will start to feel better pretty quickly but don't stop the rehab until everything feels 100% back to normal.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS ^^^^^^

I have friends who didn't put the effort into rehab they should have - 100% of them regret it...:eek: rehab should get you back to 100% of range of motion and strength if your body allows it :).... if you slack on rehab - the results are for the rest of your life ;)

sczagurs

Reaction score
Shoulder surgery is no joke but if you are looking for a awesome surgeon look at Dr. Daniel Kharrazi with Kerlan Jobe. He just did my elbow and that surgery was not fun especially on your dominate hand. Take your time, use your medication especially when going to physical therapy and you will recover in 3-4 months depending how bad it is. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

SodarSki73

Reaction score
If I remember right, @Ballsdeep, you are up in the LA/Ventura area. My doctor and his surgery center are both in Van Nuys. Both are awesome. I've had both my shoulders done and then had one redone, because I was a dumbass and pushed it too hard, too early. Don't do that... it sucks.

https://www.scoi.com/doctors/stephen-j-snyder-md

As for the prognosis, 3 months is fine for feeling OK. More like 10-12 to actually get things stretched back out with PT and be 100% ready for full activity.

oldschool

Reaction score
I had a slap tear/torn labrum about 2 years ago, but chose not to have surgery. The surgeon described the surgery as pinning toilet paper to a wall and hoping it holds. I had a friend that had the surgery only to have it tear again during recovery. It took 6-8 months for the pain to go away( I did get 1 Cortizone shot), during that time I worked out and tried not to limit my shoulder movement. The limiting factor was the pain, which eventually went away. I've had shoulder injuries my entire life and never had surgery for them, they usually took 4-8 weeks to recover( about the same as recovering from surgery). I'd get a second opinion.

PlanB

Reaction score
I have had both shoulders scoped. Neither ever got back to 100%, and I still have pain to this day. I have had surgery on other body parts and my shoulders were the worst. I am better than before the surgeries, but the recovery was not as expected.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Terek Bitar in Santa Clarita. Cutting my wife's knee tomorrow. Did both my knees. Wife shoulder.

EBT531

Reaction score
I tore my right should from 3-6 o'clock in the front and 9-11 o'clock in the back. (that's how the Dr described it after an MRI) I chose to avoid surgery and eventually the pain goes away. The only lingering result is if I raise my hand and you stand on a chair pushing down on my hand in the right position, the arm goes limp and falls. As soon as it falls, its back to normal. Basically the Dr said it would never heal without surgery but as long as I don't have my arm in that position when my life counts on it, I'll be fine.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. Same tear in left shoulder almost 11 years ago. Having the arm immobilized for 4-6 weeks is tough. PT was rough to begin with but makes all the difference in the world.

I don’t remember being fully recovered in 8 weeks...I think I had 12-16 weeks of PT (3x per week). I’m pretty active and need to rebuild the strength and range of motion in the shoulder.

The key is to get it fixed soon. From date of the tear to surgery was 2 weeks for me and my range of motion was excellent to begin with because I have been doing karate and kobudo for 10 years. I have had lots of knee surgeries including a replacement and know the importance of not letting a joint freeze or letting the muscles atrophy.

The surgeon described the surgery as pinning toilet paper to a wall and hoping it holds. .

You are correct but that is why my surgeon detaches the biceps tendon from it's "stock" location and re-pins it in a new location to change the geometry of the joint so the end of the humerus does not rub the tear. Also, good PT was the key, 3X per week.

Just my .02

f12517

Reaction score
Been there, done that. Had a bad SLAP tear along with a partial tear in the rotator cuff tendon. Waited approx 9 months from time of injury until surgery. Have had a very good outcome. But it took time and working at PT to get it back to 100%. I was able to drive within 3 weeks, but still wearing the sling. I was on active PT 2-3 days a week for 3 months. Then started training with a personal trainer after that. He focused on continuing rehab for the shoulder as well as other stuff. I shoot 3 gun, shotgun, ride dirt bikes, waterski and wakeboard and I'm not hesitant at all to do what I want. But, yeah its gonna take 6-12 months out of your life before you can really push it to the limits. The first 3-6 months you need to be careful, although it was the last 6-12 months that you can seriously fuck up all your hard work if you aren't a little cautious

spectras only

Reaction score
I had shoulder pain and difficulty lifting my right arm for a relatively short period [ a few months ] long time ago.My doc said he could give me Cortizone shot but it would only be a band aid. Other option would have been surgery. I passed on both and my body healed itself. I have full motion of my arm/shoulder. Sometimes it's better wait it out, instead of the risks involved surgeries and danger with anesthesia.;) I'm 72, not going to waterski anymore to pull my shoulders.:p

Meaney77

Reaction score

You can wait if you have a three month window this winter. I waited almost a year to do mine. Mainly experienced discomfort and lost of strength when doing some activities during the year.

PM if you have additional questions.
Appreciate the info- a 3 month window would be nice but like anything there is never the perfect time.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Shoulder surgery is no joke but if you are looking for a awesome surgeon look at Dr. Daniel Kharrazi with Kerlan Jobe. He just did my elbow and that surgery was not fun especially on your dominate hand. Take your time, use your medication especially when going to physical therapy and you will recover in 3-4 months depending how bad it is. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

My wife actually had a pretty sevear shoulder injury and the 1st doctor she went to butchered her surgery and ended up going to Kerlan Jobe and swears by them.

Meaney77

Reaction score
You are correct but that is why my surgeon detaches the biceps tendon from it's "stock" location and re-pins it in a new location to change the geometry of the joint so the end of the humerus does not rub the tear. Also, good PT was the key, 3X per week.

Just my .02

The surgeon mentioned something about relocating as well- unfortunately I didn't pay much attention because I was wrapping my head around having to have a surgery.

bigdawgmini

Reaction score
Been there, done that. Had a bad SLAP tear along with a partial tear in the rotator cuff tendon. Waited approx 9 months from time of injury until surgery. Have had a very good outcome. But it took time and working at PT to get it back to 100%. I was able to drive within 3 weeks, but still wearing the sling. I was on active PT 2-3 days a week for 3 months. Then started training with a personal trainer after that. He focused on continuing rehab for the shoulder as well as other stuff. I shoot 3 gun, shotgun, ride dirt bikes, waterski and wakeboard and I'm not hesitant at all to do what I want. But, yeah its gonna take 6-12 months out of your life before you can really push it to the limits. The first 3-6 months you need to be careful, although it was the last 6-12 months that you can seriously fuck up all your hard work if you aren't a little cautious
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This....Follow Dr's order to the letter.....I was a year to get 98% of it back....It sucks no other way to put it!!!!!

FCT

Reaction score
I’ve had the surgery done on both shoulders. Just get it done because the longer you wait the worse it gets. Out of all my surgeries I’d have to say my shoulder surgery’s were probably the most painful and hardest recovery. Be religious on your PT and exercises and you should have a great recovery. Do yourself a favor and find the best dr you possibly can because if your Dr is mediocre like most are then your results will be just that and your shoulder will never be right again.

oldschool

Reaction score
Hang in there dude.....
It's funny, the cause(ascending aortic aneurism) for it doesn't cause me pain, discomfort or poor health, my torn labrum was way more sucky. I'd get a Cortisone shot in that shoulder and give it a few months before getting cut. Surgeons get paid for surgeries.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS ^^^^^^

I have friends who didn't put the effort into rehab they should have - 100% of them regret it...:eek: rehab should get you back to 100% of range of motion and strength if your body allows it :).... if you slack on rehab - the results are for the rest of your life ;)

+2 This! Do not.... Do NOT blow off rehab (you'll want to)
Also, dont be afraid of the necessary pain meds. Take 1 an hour before PT. Evety time. Trust me.. anything else I could say is allready above.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have a torn labrum as well. Been that way for years and I havent had surgery. It still hurts but I cant be played up for a year.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I had three anchors put in and a bunch of rotary file work done in October of last year. Been bad for four years. Wish I did it sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I had very invasive surgery on both shoulders in college and in the Air force.
Do your homework.
I hope that you have good results.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I was doing a good deed and hurt myself in the process.

Family and I were up at the beach for the day. I was sitting in my beach chair sipping on a mimosa when I watched a guy try and carry his paraplegic friend out of the water across the beach. I offered help and he said he had it handled- they do this all of the time. When they got to the rocky area of the beach (Rincon Parkway) I offered to help again and he said he had him- until he didn't have him and fell carrying his paraplegic buddy in the rocks. I reached down to help and when I tried to pull the dead weight of the paraplegic guy up, I heard my should pop and make all sorts of funny noise and immediately didn't feel right.

I dealt with it for a few days and eventually got it x-rayed. Results came back with no observations but took it easy for a week. After a week still didn't feel right so I had an MRI done. MRI shows I have a class 3 SLAP tear on my Labrum which doesn't heal without surgery.

So now trying to figure this out- Its like a 3 month recovery which blows- it puts a damper on the few remaining boating trips we have planned, work trips, family trip to NC, etc.... and slowly creeping into off road season. 6 weeks of the recovery is very minimal movement of my arm- its pretty much in a sling at my side with no movement other that trying to spray some deodorant to cut down on the stink. Also kind of hard with 3 young kids at home. Pretty frustrating to say the least- especially because 75% of the time I dont have much pain but it wont heal on its own and will only get worse.

Anyone have the surgery? What should I expect? I can deal with the pain, its the little to no activity, and heavily relying on my wife to do stuff like help getting dressed and putting a shirt on that is going to kill me.

I had 3 tears in my labrum. Hurt like hell, but kept putting off surgery. That made it worse and Dr said there was a bunch of scar tissue in there because I was a dumb ass. After 3 months he was talking about going in a breaking the scar tissue up. I said no I will deal with the pain .Took a little more than 6 months to be completely pain free. So don't wait. Get it fixed asap. Yes needing help sucks. Had to wear a sling with a pillow between arm and body for a month. Best advice I can give it get short sleeve button down shirts. Makes it easier to get dressed. Oh and ICE is your new best friend.

On another note I have to get a bone spur ground down on my big toe next month. Figured a week or so recovery. Dr says 6-8 week recovery. Fuck me.

Good luck to you.

E4L

Reaction score
I had mine done April and I’m at full range of motion and just started strengthening this week. It’s a very long recovery. I had a slap repair, bicep repair, and shoulder impingement. Do your research on doctors and follow there orders is what I recommend. After surgery see if they can get you a game ready unit. Good luck

E4L

Reaction score

Truth

E4L

Reaction score
Most important thing on here I haven’t seen mentioned is sleeping is a bitch if your a side sleeper. I didn’t sleep the first few weeks

Meaney77

Reaction score
Most important thing on here I haven’t seen mentioned is sleeping is a bitch if your a side sleeper. I didn’t sleep the first few weeks

I was afraid of that! Looks like the wife might be sleeping downstairs- I am usually sleeping on my side because I snore like a bear!

Last edited:

E4L

Reaction score
I was afraid of that! Looks like the wife might be sleeping downstairs- I usually sleeping my side because I snore like a bear!

Everyone told me to sleep in my lazy boy but I could never get comfortable there.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I got this apparatus that strapped around my shoulder that was a bag with a tube on it, that went to a igloo cooler with a pump built into it. You’d but ice water into in and it would circulate the ice water in and out. It Velcro’s in place. Super bitchen. I could drive with it on even. I’d leave it on most of the day, as I’d go to job sites, or meet with clients. I drive a stick shift dodge and it was my right shoulder. I’m self employed, so I was driving in three days after surgery, I had no choice. I learned how to shift with my left hand, and couldn’t get the gears in the top of the gate[emoji12]
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

E4L

Reaction score
This is the game ready unit it also does cryo therapy
IMG_7215.jpg

f12517

Reaction score
I got this apparatus that strapped around my shoulder that was a bag with a tube on it, that went to a igloo cooler with a pump built into it. You’d but ice water into in and it would circulate the ice water in and out. It Velcro’s in place. Super bitchen. I could drive with it on even. I’d leave it on most of the day, as I’d go to job sites, or meet with clients. I drive a stick shift dodge and it was my right shoulder. I’m self employed, so I was driving in three days after surgery, I had no choice. I learned how to shift with my left hand, and couldn’t get the gears in the top of the gate[emoji12] View attachment 787256 View attachment 787257

One of these is a must. Total lifesaver. Makes a huge difference after a PT session. I would go to PT, come home, take some Norco and strap that thing on for an hour and let it do its thing

jones performance

Reaction score
like others mentioned and my experience as well is it takes a year from date of surgery before it feels dam near 100%.

PhyrMnGil

Reaction score
Everyone told me to sleep in my lazy boy but I could never get comfortable there.

I had rotator cuff repair and biceps tendon reattachment.
Couldn't sleep comfortably in a bed for about a 3 weeks. Lazboy worked for me..

LazyLavey

Reaction score

I also used Kharrazi about 5 years ago.... Arthscopic but it did not work for me, My joint was too far gone, no recovery... but, he advise prior to the procedure I need a replacement..

fast forward I did the replacement (Dr Brian Lee, Kerlin-Jobe). Excellent results. Recovery about 8 weeks to nearly normal... Continued to get even better after that....incredible results!

Bite the bullet, X2 therapy, hang in there..... and listen to your body!!!!

Getting the other side done this November....

Should have done it years ago!

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I've had 2 shoulder surgeries plus 12 knee surgeries including 2 artificial knees on the right leg. Experience taught me that ICE and PT are your best post surgery friends

Meaney77

Reaction score
Update
Did the shoulder surgery over Labor Day Weekend- when I booked the surgery I had my head up my ass and didnt realize it was a long weekend. Regardless went into surgery Friday afternoon and came out it a world of pain. The doctor had to detach my bicep to fix the labrum which had a pretty good tear in it along with a bone spur that he removed. Its been 5 days and I actually feel pretty good. I have minimal pain throughout the day and I am able to continue working from home. I am able to stay in tank tops, shorts and flip flops which is nice- putting on a button up and dress pants would be a total hassle right now.

My biggest issue has been sleeping and getting comfortable. Prior to the surgery I went on an Amazon shopping spree- I took all of your advice and purchased a wedge pillow and an ice pack specific to shoulder injuries, both have helped significantly. The only pain med I am taking are the 2 Norcos at night before bed so I can get comfortable enough to sleep along with lots of ice throughout the day.

I have my 1st follow up visit this afternoon, hoping it goes well and will be able to start PT soon. Being in a sling for the next 6 weeks is going to kill me.

Boating season is kinda shot for me at this point unless I am a boat bitch. Hoping I will be healed up and ready for desert season which is coming up quick.

rrrr

Reaction score
I hope PT goes well. It's a challenge you have to meet to regain full use of the arm.

I have a torn rotator cuff, been putting off surgery for almost two years. I've already had it repaired once, in 2005, and I'm not looking forward to the pain and 6-8 weeks in a sling.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Good job pal. It’s gonna be a mother fucker for a while. I didn’t sleep more than a few hours at a time for a few weeks. I’m 10 months out of surgery and I’m able to do 40-50 push-ups a day again. There is still pain at times. It’s gonna hurt for a long time. Don’t push on the rehab too hard. I feel like I may have jacked something up a little by pushing too hard.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Good to hear that things are going well take it slow and steady. Don’t go out and try to kill it. It will take a bit of time.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Dr. Kharrazi is the best surgeon I have ever been around. I live in Texas and refer everyone I know to him to this day because I know they will get the best care.

I also used Kharrazi about 5 years ago.... Arthscopic but it did not work for me, My joint was too far gone, no recovery... but, he advise prior to the procedure I need a replacement..

fast forward I did the replacement (Dr Brian Lee, Kerlin-Jobe). Excellent results. Recovery about 8 weeks to nearly normal... Continued to get even better after that....incredible results!

Bite the bullet, X2 therapy, hang in there..... and listen to your body!!!!

Getting the other side done this November....

Should have done it years ago!

4Waters

Reaction score
Update
Did the shoulder surgery over Labor Day Weekend- when I booked the surgery I had my head up my ass and didnt realize it was a long weekend. Regardless went into surgery Friday afternoon and came out it a world of pain. The doctor had to detach my bicep to fix the labrum which had a pretty good tear in it along with a bone spur that he removed. Its been 5 days and I actually feel pretty good. I have minimal pain throughout the day and I am able to continue working from home. I am able to stay in tank tops, shorts and flip flops which is nice- putting on a button up and dress pants would be a total hassle right now.

My biggest issue has been sleeping and getting comfortable. Prior to the surgery I went on an Amazon shopping spree- I took all of your advice and purchased a wedge pillow and an ice pack specific to shoulder injuries, both have helped significantly. The only pain med I am taking are the 2 Norcos at night before bed so I can get comfortable enough to sleep along with lots of ice throughout the day.

I have my 1st follow up visit this afternoon, hoping it goes well and will be able to start PT soon. Being in a sling for the next 6 weeks is going to kill me.

Boating season is kinda shot for me at this point unless I am a boat bitch. Hoping I will be healed up and ready for desert season which is coming up quick.
Boat bitch? A lotta good you'll be with 1 good errr...... ok arm. :D Glad the surgery went well and you are fairly pain free.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
My left done last year. Was pretty effed up but recovery wasnt too bad given how much was done. I think arthroscopic made the difference in recovery over an arthotomy.

Now I need the other side done. And add a clavicle. FML.