WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best tree to plant near a pool

DEROOSTER

Reaction score
What is the "cleanest" tree to plant near a swimming pool? Im looking to get some filtered shade near our pool with minimal clean up. I had a carrot wood tree in that area that was horrible. Any pool builders recommend anything?

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
get a FAUX , a nice lush one...lots of shae and doesn't need a damn thing

DEROOSTER

Reaction score
Thanks guys. How about palm trees? They seem clean with shallow roots. Any advice there?

DEROOSTER

Reaction score
Good call Thunderhead!! I just looked up a Faux tree and busted up. You are right, thats the cleanest tree out there!

CobraDave

Reaction score
I researched that one years ago and have planted fruitless olive trees. I have two, one on each end of the pool. They are great and don’t get into the pool. Be 100 percent they don’t produce olives though! They don’t lose their leaves like other seasonal trees

They also don’t need a lot of water and will grow pretty fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Batman

Reaction score
Thanks guys. How about palm trees? They seem clean with shallow roots. Any advice there?
Palm trees suck. Most worthless tree on the face of the earth as far as I am concerned. My neighbor has one 30 - 40 ft high. Never trims it, My pool and yard gets fallen fronds and millions of seeds all the time. There are 2 small 5 ft. trees in my yard near the pool. Keep them well trimmed and remove seed pods ASAP.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
No, I cut down 5 of mine.
One started lifting my back patio with the roots.
They will also seek any water and they will get through gunite.
Pain to trim and spring time huge mess with flowering seed stalks.
When they get too tall you'll need someone to trim them for you
And unless they're skinned they're a haven for things like scorpions
I went with steel cactus.
No water and no maintenance

farmo83

Reaction score
None.

I really liked trees until I bought a house with a bunch of trees and a pool. I've spent thousands getting trees removed.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Look at either a Shade Sail or better yet if you have the room install a Roman Shade Patio Cover over the pool that you can pull back when the temps cool down. I wouldn't purposely plant any tree within 30' of a pool. There a PITA when its time to clean the pool!

just_floatin

Reaction score
While the wife and me enjoy the privacy, trees and shrubs are a nightmare to maintain especially after a monsoon.
15659818229196200284751694791869.jpg

Last edited:

fmo24

Reaction score
Either a cantilever umbrella or sail shade as stated Trees suck around pools

chvynhra

Reaction score
Removed my palms and put in fruitless olive, no mess and grow incredibly slow. Happy so far.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
It floats. Took off bottom legs and cut some 4" pool noodles in half. Set up/take down in 2 minutes.

lebel409

Reaction score
Pine trees are terrible, constant issue with needles. I have a Crepe Myrtle, pretty good except for right now, blossoms are small and blow in, skimmer gets them all.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
we removed 11 palm trees from around our pool... looked beautiful... but was getting ready to lift the concrete and tile coping around pool...

we replanted with succulents...