WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

This Summer

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me, but I think a lot of others will agree there has been a lot of bitching lately in here. To me, the best part about summer months was not only boating, but seeing everyone else's adventure's. Whether it was Havasu, Mead, Powell, or even the annual RV trip, it was great to see it through the eye's of another family.

That being said, the last few years have been crazy for my family and I. My wife and I purchased our first business, had a baby and then purchased a second location to add onto our business. We haven't been boating all that much, but sitting here, looking back on the last few months, we have had quite an eventful summer. Just to shake things up, here's a glimpse of some of the things we've been able to do and I hope that others share too.

In late April, I bought a new to me truck off a member here and it's been the best vehicle I have owned!
IMG-0714.JPG

A few months after owning it, I ended up getting a nail right in the shoulder of the tire. Being in the tire business (I own 2 Big O Tires franchises in O.C.), I now know how my frustrated my customer's feel. That being said, I upgraded tires and put on the Nitto G2's. We sell a lot of these compared to other tires, so I figured it was best to stick with what I sell. If you need tires or any other auto service, let me know and I'm happy to help!

IMG-0713.JPG

One of the coolest things this summer would be my parent's purchasing their dream boat. Both my parent's busted their asses for my brother and I growing up. I always knew this was the case, but never really knew it until I became a parent myself! This boat is beyond well deserved and I know they have/will enjoy the hell out of it! The weekend before Memorial Day, my wife, son and I spent the weekend with them out at Lake Havasu. It was the weekend they took delivery of the boat and one of the very few trips we'll get to get in together.
IMG-1134.JPG
IMG-3863.JPG
IMG-0283.JPG
IMG-3851.JPG

3444233D-57D6-494F-8273-C3C10277C985.JPG

A few weeks following that, my wife and I won a trip through Big O to go to the CMA's in Nashville. This was our first trip away without our son and it was great to just spend time with the two of us. We didn't take too many pics, but we did get to visit the legendary Bluebird Cafe for a private breakfast with 4 song writers. We were only in Nashville for two days and I would love to go back. I also highly recommend the Noelle Hotel in downtown!

IMG-0418.JPG

Fourth of July was spent in Orange Park Acres for their annual parade. It's early in the morning and basically a bunch of local rednecks setting up a parade through the neighborhood. Everyone is drinking bloodies or beers and it's a great time! We had a blast and my son absolutely loved all the trucks and tractors. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

IMG-0608.JPG
IMG-0635.JPG

The rest of the summer has been a whirlwind. We were supposed to go on an 8 day motorhome trip, but that fell through. We're exchanging it for 5 days in Hawaii at the end of the month, so all is not lost. We did have one scare during the summer. I got a call from my wife a few weeks ago on a Saturday while I was working that our son had a seizure. Raced down to the hospital to meet them and found out it was a febrile seizure. What we thought was a fever caused by teething, it was a little more than that. Thankfully these are completely benign if caught in time and everything was fine. Just scary as shit for us parents. As you can see in the photos, he was still our happy little boy!

IMG-0816.JPG
IMG-0909.JPG

We have a few more things planned for the remainder of the summer and year. Going to Lake Mead to celebrate my old man's birthday next weekend. My cousin gets married this weekend. Hawaii at the end of August. Possibly a Havasu trip in September and two weddings in October. All in all, I thought I was constantly tied up in this work work work mentality with these two "relatively" new businesses, but I'm finding out there is way more to life than that. I hope everyone has a good rest of their summer!

hallett21

Reaction score
Lol I’ll agree with the bitching.

A year ago yesterday my wife and I bought our first home [emoji41]. Bought the crappy house in a good neighborhood with the intention of remodeling the whole thing.

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

We’ve got the interior about 90% completed. And since all was going well why not tackle the back yard while we at it lol

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

58241316780__F5052973-C8F4-42E8-B3C7-4E1F6D2685E8.JPG

Just starting to cover all the underground work. It’s great being in Construction to accomplish this. Terrible that I make more money at work than working on the house lol.

Remember that little fire in Malibu a few months ago? Well my wife was at a nursing conference in Vegas when it started. My mother in law was out of town with my brother and sister in law. My brother luckily was at USC at the time.

Around 1am my brother and I had to evacuate my moms house off of Kanan. We had 3 trucks loaded with guns, photos, artwork and anything else we really cared about.

Sent my mom and brother to friends house in calabasas (before the fire tried to burn down shintooo)

The photo below is me getting back to my in-laws to make sure they were ok.

IMG_2156.jpg

We watched it for a few hours and decided to start packing my FIL and my truck again.

12 hours later we saw this

IMG_2160.jpg

A couple hours later it was this

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

6-7 of us stayed behind and saved as many homes as we could with pool pumps and fire hoses. Basically jumping back and forth until a La Canada fire truck
Showed up. They lost 8 homes in the neighborhood.

Spent the next 4 days with no power. Luckily I had a 5500 generator in my truck from another job and we were able to feed the neighbors, keep the news on and save the in laws fridge/freezers.

Made desert storm this year

Made the outboard church get together

Had 2 epic naci trips with great friends. Including towing the boat to our new house! Had to take a photo lol

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_3723.jpg

Just got back from Vegas for my wife’s birthday.

Going to a wedding this weekend.

Have a tuna trip planned in October with my brother.

My wife and I are truly blessed and just trying to keep working as hard we can. Also this last year has helped keep a lot of things in perspective. Especially what’s important and what really doesn’t matter. Wishing everyone a great rest of the year.

IMG_3785.jpg

And as a side note. I know people like to complain. But seriously, I remember 10 years ago on this very forum people were losing their jobs, lives, toys and everything else I’m forgetting. Try to keep it in perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
@hallett21 your camping trip to Naci make me want to make a stop there in the next few years. We went to Paso last summer in the motorhome for my wife’s 30th and loved it.

We love Lake Mead, but I’m getting the itch to try other lakes/rivers as well! Just trying to get another year under my belt with this business and I’m waiting for @Runs2rch to sell me his 210!

JD D05

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me, but I think a lot of others will agree there has been a lot of bitching lately in here. To me, the best part about summer months was not only boating, but seeing everyone else's adventure's. Whether it was Havasu, Mead, Powell, or even the annual RV trip, it was great to see it through the eye's of another family.

That being said, the last few years have been crazy for my family and I. My wife and I purchased our first business, had a baby and then purchased a second location to add onto our business. We haven't been boating all that much, but sitting here, looking back on the last few months, we have had quite an eventful summer. Just to shake things up, here's a glimpse of some of the things we've been able to do and I hope that others share too.

In late April, I bought a new to me truck off a member here and it's been the best vehicle I have owned!
View attachment 784318

A few months after owning it, I ended up getting a nail right in the shoulder of the tire. Being in the tire business (I own 2 Big O Tires franchises in O.C.), I now know how my frustrated my customer's feel. That being said, I upgraded tires and put on the Nitto G2's. We sell a lot of these compared to other tires, so I figured it was best to stick with what I sell. If you need tires or any other auto service, let me know and I'm happy to help!

View attachment 784319

One of the coolest things this summer would be my parent's purchasing their dream boat. Both my parent's busted their asses for my brother and I growing up. I always knew this was the case, but never really knew it until I became a parent myself! This boat is beyond well deserved and I know they have/will enjoy the hell out of it! The weekend before Memorial Day, my wife, son and I spent the weekend with them out at Lake Havasu. It was the weekend they took delivery of the boat and one of the very few trips we'll get to get in together.
View attachment 784320 View attachment 784322 View attachment 784323 View attachment 784324
View attachment 784328

A few weeks following that, my wife and I won a trip through Big O to go to the CMA's in Nashville. This was our first trip away without our son and it was great to just spend time with the two of us. We didn't take too many pics, but we did get to visit the legendary Bluebird Cafe for a private breakfast with 4 song writers. We were only in Nashville for two days and I would love to go back. I also highly recommend the Noelle Hotel in downtown!

View attachment 784325

Fourth of July was spent in Orange Park Acres for their annual parade. It's early in the morning and basically a bunch of local rednecks setting up a parade through the neighborhood. Everyone is drinking bloodies or beers and it's a great time! We had a blast and my son absolutely loved all the trucks and tractors. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

View attachment 784326 View attachment 784327

The rest of the summer has been a whirlwind. We were supposed to go on an 8 day motorhome trip, but that fell through. We're exchanging it for 5 days in Hawaii at the end of the month, so all is not lost. We did have one scare during the summer. I got a call from my wife a few weeks ago on a Saturday while I was working that our son had a seizure. Raced down to the hospital to meet them and found out it was a febrile seizure. What we thought was a fever caused by teething, it was a little more than that. Thankfully these are completely benign if caught in time and everything was fine. Just scary as shit for us parents. As you can see in the photos, he was still our happy little boy!

View attachment 784329 View attachment 784330

We have a few more things planned for the remainder of the summer and year. Going to Lake Mead to celebrate my old man's birthday next weekend. My cousin gets married this weekend. Hawaii at the end of August. Possibly a Havasu trip in September and two weddings in October. All in all, I thought I was constantly tied up in this work work work mentality with these two "relatively" new businesses, but I'm finding out there is way more to life than that. I hope everyone has a good rest of their summer!

Glad your son is ok! He is cute little dude! Here is a couple my little guy.
IMG-20190801-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20190720-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20190527-WA0003.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
@hallett21 your camping trip to Naci make me want to make a stop there in the next few years. We went to Paso last summer in the motorhome for my wife’s 30th and loved it.

We love Lake Mead, but I’m getting the itch to try other lakes/rivers as well! Just trying to get another year under my belt with this business and I’m waiting for @Runs2rch to sell me his 210!

It was a trip when we went boating, wine tasting and then back to boating.

Highly recommend going up there. Just do it when there’s water lol.

We’re in the same boat. We’ve done havasu all our lives and I was getting the itch to venture out. Over the last few years we’ve done Powell, Mead, and now Naci.

It’s fun trying new places!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I gotta make sure I don’t kill it first lol. I’ve googled about 3,000 different how to care for sod pages.

Pretty sure water, and then a little more water hahaha

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Heading out to Mead tomorrow morning at 0 dark 30. It’s my dad’s birthday weekend and my little brother is coming in from New York. @Runs2rch is out also. Looking forward to putting some hours on the 40!

hallett21

Reaction score
Looks great! We want to do the same thing to our backyard. Can you come down on Monday? Lol

Btw, if you ever want to go to Mead, hit up @Runs2rch or myself!

Missed Runs2rch last time. But we are definitely planning on hitting mead more in the future.

Reminds me of what havasu was 15-20 years ago.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Missed Runs2rch last time. But we are definitely planning on hitting mead more in the future.

Reminds me of what havasu was 15-20 years ago.

That was your bachelor party trip if I remember right. The one time I didn't camp at middle point.

D19

Reaction score

View attachment 784318

View attachment 784319

View attachment 784320 View attachment 784322 View attachment 784323 View attachment 784324
View attachment 784328

View attachment 784325

View attachment 784326 View attachment 784327

View attachment 784329 View attachment 784330

I ran in the 4th of July Orange Park Acres 10k. It was my 2nd time doing it.

I will need new tires soon. Where are your shops?

hallett21

Reaction score
Looks like the boat is running great [emoji1303]

Spot

Reaction score
Beautiful pics... Love that Hallett.

H2O

Reaction score
@hallett21

Would you mind sharing the name and color of the wood look tile you used in your shower? We are looking at doing pretty much the same thing for one of ours.

Thx!

hallett21

Reaction score
Sorry about the crappy photos. I can get the actual specs/tile for you later this week.

IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3979.jpg
IMG_3980.jpg

H2O

Reaction score
That’s the one [emoji1303]. Not sure on your location we ordered it from canyon tile in Agoura Hills

Great thanks. I'm up in Santa Barbara, but trying to find for our place on Maui. Was kind of hoping it was a HD or Lowes product, since they have a lot of stock on the island.

FWIW - Sounds like we've being shadowing you this summer. We were are the Outboard Church gathering, been to Naci a few times, and now working on a wood tile shower...

hallett21

Reaction score
Great thanks. I'm up in Santa Barbara, but trying to find for our place on Maui. Was kind of hoping it was a HD or Lowes product, since they have a lot of stock on the island.

FWIW - Sounds like we've being shadowing you this summer. We were are the Outboard Church gathering, been to Naci a few times, and now working on a wood tile shower...

Haha that’s awesome [emoji1303]