What Diesel Tows Better

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
36221F97-AF09-41F5-A984-B35B600A9493.jpeg
D0ACCF02-82F0-4800-B246-699BCB6289A4.jpeg

Joe mama

Reaction score
Got a buddy that bought new fords for work and said he’s done with them..He bought a new dodge and said it pulls harder and gets better mileage loaded. He said overall better for truck duties.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Doesn't it really depend on what you tow? I just killed off my Cummins at 800k+. Towed like a beast, but motor outlived the truck. I will be looking for something "bigger" in the future. For now we're going to try flogging an old Duramax for a bit. Had Fords, will only own a 7.3. Had 6.0s and they left a bad taste in my mouth for newer Fords.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Inline-6 all day [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jetur

Reaction score
If you want good fuel mileage towing get the Cummins. If you want to beat your buddies to camp and pick your spot get the Ford.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
5.9 ram
6.6 Chevy
6.7 ford
6.7 Ram

They are all great engines.

charlyox

Reaction score
Love my Duramax It pulls my 5th wheel great.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I would not trade my old 03 dodge 3500 for nothing. It does what I want, when I want and has only ever complained twice. Lost a lift pump one, still got me home. Had an idle pulley seize and sheared off the bolt. Make that 3 times. Had the fan clutch go out, still got me home.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
There is no doubt that Cummins is the real deal. Look on any interstate...

Dodge/Cummins trucks have the 3 to 4 car hauler trailers on their back. Sometime you see a Ford...Rarely a Chevy. The Same can be said for the Snow Bird crowds, Usually a Dodge or Ford but a few more GM's in there.

and the good ole banger is the that 98% of the Duramax's are still on the road... the other 2% are in the driveway!!:D

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There is no doubt that Cummins is the real deal. Look on any interstate...

Dodge/Cummins trucks have the 3 to 4 car hauler trailers on their back. Sometime you see a Ford...Rarely a Chevy. The Same can be said for the Snow Bird crowds, Usually a Dodge or Ford but a few more GM's in there.

and the good ole banger is the that 98% of the Duramax's are still on the road... the other 2% are in the driveway!!:D
The guy I got my 02 Cummins from delivered 5er's for a living. I got it with just shy of 600k. I needed a truck, as my 7.3 ford had developed a rod knock at 300k, and I was moving to Az. Gave him 3k for it, and put close to 300k on the truck. Did a waterpump and a fan hub bearing. Not bad. It was a 6spd truck, so I'd been wanting an auto. I was fine with it, but if I get racked up, I want the wife to be able to haul a trailer home with limited issues. Talking to a couple guys I know that rebuild trannys, they pushed me towards a Duramax. The way they did it was simple, both of them went to their parts shelves and grabbed a pair of steels and frictions for the trannys in question. Those Allisons have massive parts. Bigger parts, less stress and heat=longer life. To be honest, if money were no object, I'd build a Ford body with a Cummins motor and an Allison trans. I've seen it done, but without access to a wrecking yard or deeeep pockets, not going to happen.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Cummins or cat

Inline makes torque
V makes horsepower

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cdog

Reaction score
The Cummins is legit. Their trans sucked up until the Asin option but even those can blow. The Asin trans are made by a company that Toyota owns I believe. Thats not a bad thing. Asin also makes the Porsche Cayenne trans. The rest of the truck is iffy. Atleast they improve what they have instead of starting over new every 4 years like ford and force their blue kool aid drinkers to pay for their R&D.

I love the new fords I just dont trust them in the long run. I'm not a new truck every 5-7 years guy.

I trust GM's approach to engineering over Fiat and ford though. My Duramax has never left me stranded in 215k miles. Sure things go wrong but that's with everything. No doubt in my mind she'll go another 300k miles.

I've towed with all 3. Heavy race car trailers across country. Done head gaskets on my LBZ. My opinion is based on real experiences.

Dodge is the best bang for the buck if that's what you want. But if you are going older used the 06-early 07 Classic's with the LBZ is probably the best diesel available. The prices on these trucks prove my point.

Last edited:

BAS

Reaction score
I have a 2018 ram 3500 dually and a 2019 ford f450, the ram couldnt stay out of the shop, six repairs within the first 6-7 months, all turbo related. Both the trucks haul heavy (apportioned plates at 42,000 for the ram and 45,000 on the ford), but the ford does it without any down time. However the ford does run hot, trans and oil temperatures. These trucks average 35-40,000 gcvw at the scale houses daily and they see about 10k miles a month. The ram got a little better fuel economy, but it drank the DEF, where the ford uses a 1/4 of def the ram did. I will not buy any other ram. Chevy wasn’t even in the game until they stepped up their weight rates this year.

81Sprint

Reaction score
The Cummins is legit. Their trans sucked up until the Asin option but even those can blow. The Asin trans are made by a company that Toyota owns I believe. Thats not a bad thing. Asin also makes the Porsche Cayenne trans. The rest of the truck is iffy. Atleast they improve what they have instead of starting over new every 4 years like ford and force their blue kool aid drinkers to pay for their R&D.

I love the new fords I just dont trust them in the long run. I'm not a new truck every 5-7 years guy.

I trust GM's approach to engineering over Fiat and ford though. My Duramax has never left me stranded in 215k miles. Sure things go wrong but that's with everything. No doubt in my mind she'll go another 300k miles.

I've towed with all 3. Heavy race car trailers across country. Done head gaskets on my LBZ. My opinion is based on real experiences.

Dodge is the best bang for the buck if that's what you want. But if you are going older used the 06-early 07 Classic's with the LBZ is probably the best diesel available. The prices on these trucks prove my point.

Resale definitely is what you can judge by, i paid 25k for my LBZ 2 years ago, and have been offered more a few times. Even had a guy follow me into a grocery store asking to by it lol

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
The guy I got my 02 Cummins from delivered 5er's for a living. I got it with just shy of 600k. I needed a truck, as my 7.3 ford had developed a rod knock at 300k, and I was moving to Az. Gave him 3k for it, and put close to 300k on the truck. Did a waterpump and a fan hub bearing. Not bad. It was a 6spd truck, so I'd been wanting an auto. I was fine with it, but if I get racked up, I want the wife to be able to haul a trailer home with limited issues. Talking to a couple guys I know that rebuild trannys, they pushed me towards a Duramax. The way they did it was simple, both of them went to their parts shelves and grabbed a pair of steels and frictions for the trannys in question. Those Allisons have massive parts. Bigger parts, less stress and heat=longer life. To be honest, if money were no object, I'd build a Ford body with a Cummins motor and an Allison trans. I've seen it done, but without access to a wrecking yard or deeeep pockets, not going to happen.

Your right.... I know of 2 builds you have mentioned... One was a shop out of Colorado I read about.... and the other was an Excursion built in San Jacinto back in 2005ish by freedom diesel...they did an excursion with cummins power... I just saw it again at the Barstow night a couple weeks ago... don't know if it was still running from that era or not but it still had straight 6 power in it.

I ran a 2000 7.3 with a 6 spd stick in it for 15yrs and 250+/- miles.. finally stepped into a 2015 6.7 dually and so far love it... I only have 38k miles on it since we wen to a Moho from a 5th wheel . BUT when I towed the 5th wheel regularly , it was perfect.

I have threatened to buy a dodge just because of fuel economy... But this truck is paid for and 70to80k buys a lot of fuel..

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Resale definitely is what you can judge by, i paid 25k for my LBZ 2 years ago, and have been offered more a few times. Even had a guy follow me into a grocery store asking to by it lol
Same with most 7.3...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Your right.... I know of 2 builds you have mentioned... One was a shop out of Colorado I read about.... and the other was an Excursion built in San Jacinto back in 2005ish by freedom diesel...they did an excursion with cummins power... I just saw it again at the Barstow night a couple weeks ago... don't know if it was still running from that era or not but it still had straight 6 power in it.

I ran a 2000 7.3 with a 6 spd stick in it for 15yrs and 250+/- miles.. finally stepped into a 2015 6.7 dually and so far love it... I only have 38k miles on it since we wen to a Moho from a 5th wheel . BUT when I towed the 5th wheel regularly , it was perfect.

I have threatened to buy a dodge just because of fuel economy... But this truck is paid for and 70to80k buys a lot of fuel..
That 80k price on a new diesel sucks! Right now I'm in the process of pull D-max heads, and starting the rebuild process...oh joy! I've never had a Chevy for towing detail, but lots of haulers run them. I agree with Milky though, an inline 6 makes the torque. Haven't ever driven a modern big truck with an 8, and pretty sure Freightliner isn't planning one. I've been towing heavy less frequently, so hopefully a 3500 will work out.

prosthogod

Reaction score
I'm a ford guy for ever. My 2011 6.7 shit the bed a few months ago with 110k miles. Thank god i had an extended warranty=new for factory engine. I'm thinking about going to a duelly, and I'm considering the Dodge.
3nmeq6DERAWsHW44f0cHdg.jpg
UvdhapltT5qD5JwdRh2yTg.jpg
mYUkY%wgQNGnopl4QtTyiw.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score