WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is a DL and Birth Cert enough to enter/exit Canada?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What kinda red tape will we hit flying into Canada, then re-entering the US?
Will a Drivers License and Birth Cert work?
Our passports are expired and this will be a last minute coastal cruise south to SD trip.

Googling isn't giving real specific answers.

Thanks for any recent experiences.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Our passports are expired and this will be a last minute coastal cruise south to SD trip.

Might be worth a couple hours at the DMV yet to my the real ID.

Reactions: TPC

nameisbond

Reaction score
Passport is required...………………………

Singleton

Reaction score
Passport book or passport card required!

They will not let you in with just a DL and BC.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Same here. Thought it was more like $150 though. I let my passport expire and then got send to Canada for work and had to expedite the new one. Can’t remember the timeline but it was pretty short and I got it in time.
Can’t remember ? Was going fishing and the boat didn’t have mex lic :( so I didn’t even need it ( long story but was fun anyway) good fun with pals

milkmoney

Reaction score
Passport book or passport card required!

They will not let you in with just a DL and BC.
I have both. I chose to let them see the one I want them to see.
My right.....lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
No OWIs in like 5 years I thought too? Can't remember exact details.

BajaMike

Reaction score

How did you get a plane ticket without a passport? They should not have issued it.

Anyone reading this should get a passport and passport card TODAY! Fuck the California “Real ID”. A passport is the only “Real ID”. The California ID has already been shown to be all fucked up.

The passport is good for transport anywhere in the world. The Passport Card is good for “International and U.S. Land, Sea and Air Travel between U.S., Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean and Bermuda”. What else do you need?

Get off your ass and get a passport and passport card BEFORE YOU NEED IT. It’s easier to get than a dam California drivers license.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
How did you get a plane ticket without a passport? They should not have issued it.

Anyone reading this should get a passport and passport card TODAY! Fuck the California “Real ID”. A passport is the only “Real ID”. The California ID has already been shown to be all fucked up.

The passport is good for transport anywhere in the world. The Passport Card is good for “International and U.S. Land, Sea and Air Travel between U.S., Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean and Bermuda”. What else do you need?

Get off your ass and get a passport and passport card BEFORE YOU NEED IT. It’s easier to get than a dam California drivers license.
I don’t have nothing booked yet.
That’s why I’m asking.

We’re putting together a trip and figuring what I need.
AAA has some good member cruise deals that came in the mail Sat and the wife had canceled her vacation plans, actually her vacation plans canceled us so we’re back figuring something out.

Been a few years since I left the Country and it’s all changed since I did. Lap dance bars in Algones Mex don’t count.

Damfino.
Cuba all I needed was a wallet full of cash - they didnt stamp USA passports even if you presented one.
Now all this.
Going to the DMV is like,,, going to the DMV.

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We all got passports a few years ago. They showed up in about 6 weeks, so if you've got a few months just do it the regular way.

Everyone I know is all paranoid about using a passport for domestic travel, I don't know why. IL wasn't RealID compliant till about a year ago, so I'll need to jump through those hoops in January when my DL renews, or just use my passport.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
It’s much easier to update your passport then go to the DMV.

We just did my sons. Now I need to update mine so I can get real ID

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
That’s why I’m asking.

AAA has some good member cruise deals that came in the mail Sat and the wife had canceled her vacation plans, actually her vacation plans canceled us so we’re back figuring something out.

Been a few years since I left the Country and it’s all changed since I did. Lap dance bars in Algones Mex don’t count.

Damfino.
Cuba all I needed was a wallet full of cash - they didnt stamp USA passports even if you presented one.
Now all this.

Use a passport service - they'll expedite the whole thing take picts and everything

UD

j21black

Reaction score
OK, thanks.
Anyone try the "Expedited Passport for $60 more deal?"

I did it years ago, through a 3rd party - Had a passport in 4 days or so. This is when there was a huge wait list.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Canada is pretty tough to get in. You need a passport card or passport. Az is now offering a drivers lic that acknowledges your passport. I think that will also work now.

Mexico doesn’t give a shit if you’re driving. Only if you fly.

Now, getting back in the USA, you don’t legally have to have anything. You are a citizen and cannot be denied entry. They can detain you to figure out who you are, but they cannot turn you away if you tell then you’re a citizen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buck35

Reaction score
In Washington we have an enhanced drivers license that takes half an hour to get. That or a passport is needed.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
US customs requires Canadians to present a passport to enter - at least they insist on ours and have for many years.

It might be that way now, but for a while it was only US Citizens. All thanks to the PATRIOT Act. My grandparents got caught up in the change coming back from a cruise, but that has been 14 or 15 years ago.

nameisbond

Reaction score
The US started requiring Canadians to enter the USA with passports in 04. They didn't enforce it until around 2010. Canada doesn't have a law requiring it even for Americans. But our Canadian customs agents think its a rule even for Canadians. Its safer and easier just to have a passport.

milkmoney

Reaction score
The US started requiring Canadians to enter the USA with passports in 04. They didn't enforce it until around 2010. Canada doesn't have a law requiring it even for Americans. But our Canadian customs agents think its a rule even for Canadians. Its safer and easier just to have a passport.
I also found out, not to be friendly to the border patrol of your country...just answer the questions they ask and move on. They dont like you to talk unless spoken to ...

nameisbond

Reaction score
I also found out, not to be friendly to the border patrol of your country...just asnewr the questions they ask and move on. They dont like you to talk unless spoken to ...

I cross almost every week. No, they don't like chit chat. A few know me now and they are friendlier. But in general they just want their questions answered.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I cross almost every week. No, they don't like chit chat. A few know me now and they are friendlier. But in general they just want their questions answered.
Excatly ....if the building was on fire , they wouldn't want you to tell them....lol

BajaMike

Reaction score

743AFFA9-66E3-43A6-989E-90405516E460.jpeg

That’s why I’m asking.

Damfino.
Now all this.

Have you been to Alaska? No passport.......

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Last year my Dad and I crossed into Canada through Danville WA. All they cared about was guns, and said our route to Alaska made no sense at all, after tearing apart our bikes they finally let us go. They tried to make it as stressful as possible. Total dicks.. I must have said "no sir, we have no weapons" a hundred times.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Last year my Dad and I crossed into Canada through Danville WA. All they cared about was guns, and said our route to Alaska made no sense at all, after tearing apart our bikes they finally let us go. They tried to make it as stressful as possible. Total dicks.. I must have said "no sir, we have no weapons" a hundred times.

I move to another lane if an American plated car will be in front of me. Especially if its an RV/camper with Alaska plates.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
If you bring your kids with you and both parents are not present, it is best to have a notarized letter from the other parent saying it is OK to take the kids out of the country.

More than once Canadian customs would ask questions to my daughter while they had me stay several feet away. I didn't mind as we always had our bases covered. Trying to keep one parent from grabbing the kids and fleeing the US.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

I do not understand why people don’t keep a passport.
In my mind it’s been a mandatory possession since adulthood.
I’m on my third or fourth one.
It’s just something you should have.
It trumps all other ID’s.
I don’t travel anywhere without it...except maybe Wal-Mart or 7-11.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’ve been through Canada 9 times from Alaska to WA and AK to Montana.

My worst tear downs were entering Washington and Entering Alaska.
A couple times the Mounties poked around and opened a Uhaul up once.
But going into the States was always worse.

milkmoney

Reaction score
When I went to south America and was going in. I got typical question. How long , where you staying and what's the reason for yore visit .....no problem. Nice

On my way out the armed guard ( policia) female , looked at my passport and looked at me and said , why were in my country. I said visiting , she turned around and didnt say another word ..bitch...she was latino hot though ....

I agree , everyone should have a passport...it will be mandatory in our own country soon.

I hope my visit ( next trip) to brazil , the guard is nicer and in a g string....[emoji39][emoji202]

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I’ve been through Canada 9 times from Alaska to WA and AK to Montana.

My worst tear downs were entering Washington and Entering Alaska.
A couple times the Mounties poked around and opened a Uhaul up once.
But going into the States was always worse.

I usually keep my passport with me when I travel.

A couple of years ago I was in Detroit but had a few hours to kill before my flight. So I decided to go over the bridge to Windsor ON. Had lunch in Windsor and drove around for a bit before heading back across the bridge. At the US border crossing, I gave him my passport and he checked the computer. Apparently, single guys in rental cars that are only in Canada for a couple of hours are seen as drug mules or so he said. The customs guy was a prick, he went through my luggage and backpack that contained a trade show agenda that I had been attending. He proceeded to go through the trade show itinerary and ask why I was missing break out sessions! He even questioned why I had 2 different business cards with my name on them. He then claimed that "no one pays $10.00 to drive over the bridge just to eat at Tim Hortons". He then pointed out the dogs in the side area and said they have 'tons' of heroin crossing the border between Detroit and Windsor. Ended up barely making my flight home.

96scarab

Reaction score
Yep, a DUI in the past five years make you inadmissible, unless you get a waiver.

I believe it's 10 years now..If you have two DUI's it's a lifetime banned. Of course it's also up to the boarder agent..Even with DUI'S they MAY let you in.