WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DMV rates Calif. vs Florida

fmo24

Reaction score
My motorhome is 75 in Fl and Jeep is 45. First year charge of 225 for each plate that you keep and transfer. Insane what Ca renewal was when we left.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
And no trailer at all. Bought a use boat from Florida and trailer came with an MSO, never been registered.

Backlash

Reaction score
My parents just registered one of their vehicles in Florida. In CA, the yearly registration fee was going to be $380 plus a smog cert. for this year. In FL, they paid $360 for two years and no smog fees.

CA sux. :mad:

67Charger

Reaction score
My 17 year old 03' F350 is still almost $400, but the '04 Excursion is $180... Both diesel, but one is commercial because it has a bed. ...oh, and both are due for SMOG this year, ($75 each, every other year) even though they were never smogged when new. My 1967 Charger that does about 500 miles a year is $187. '71 Challenger is $127, and I put about 15000/year on it..

They just make up numbers.

My Charger has permanent plates in MT that cost me $90 since they were custom. I had to register it in CA for insurance purposes.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
When we bought our Escalade we registered in OR for the first two years. Primary reason was to avoid the 8.1% sales tax here in NV. Second was the registration was about $220 for the first two years. After that we just moved the plates back to NV since OR requires a vin check every renewal. NV registration is just about the same as CA

fmo24

Reaction score
My parents just registered one of their vehicles in Florida. In CA, the yearly registration fee was going to be $380 plus a smog cert. for this year. In FL, they paid $360 for two years and no smog fees.

If this is a first time registration there is a 225 fee for the plate. It will be way cheaper next renewal

Taboma

Reaction score
I have the exact same 2017 vehicle in Florida and Calif....Florida license fee $114.00 for the year ....Calif. is $705.00....and there is no income tax in Florida.

So Kenny, how does the State of Florida derive funding ? I know in Texas there's no income tax, but being retired that matters little. But the property taxes would be painful.

dribble

Reaction score
I have the exact same 2017 vehicle in Florida and Calif....Florida license fee $114.00 for the year ....Calif. is $705.00....and there is no income tax in Florida.

True but when I was there it seemed as if there was a toll booth every 10 miles on the freeway. I paid
a toll About a year ago when I traveled to the Bay Area.

fmo24

Reaction score
we bounce all over central Florida and there are great roads that do not have tolls. Apple maps you can put in omit routes with tolls

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I just paid $75 for my F350. I think my wifes Edge was around $50. Idahome!
Oh yeah, Idaho is closed! :D

dribble

Reaction score

The EPA does not require Florida or Hawaii to have a smog check program because they both already meet federal clean air standards. Florida meets the standards because it’s as flat as a pancake with no mountains or valleys to trap the smog. Even Alaska is required to have smog check.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I just paid $75 for my F350. I think my wifes Edge was around $50. Idahome!
Oh yeah, Idaho is closed! :D
But one of the highest states for income tax.....every state gets you one way or another. Some are better and some or worse.
Doesnt change how beautiful north Idaho is. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
But one of the highest states for income tax.....every state gets you one way or another. Some are better and some or worse.
Doesnt change how beautiful north Idaho is. [emoji39]

It was actually a nice break in income tax by moving here from CA. And the 6% sales tax doesn’t hurt either.

milkmoney

Reaction score
It was actually a nice break in income tax by moving here from CA. And the 6% sales tax doesn’t hurt either.
I thought they were higher than cali on the income tax.

Kenny D

Reaction score
So Kenny, how does the State of Florida derive funding ? I know in Texas there's no income tax, but being retired that matters little. But the property taxes would be painful.
I understand your thinking.....our property tax percentage is the same as Calif......0.0125 ..to.....0.0130....Florida has a tourist tax on everything when people visit.They have a mortgage tax that Calif does not have....after that I can not think of something more .....sales tax less......gas tax less... ....I was a California boy, my kids are 3rd generation Californias.. I Grew up surfing and went to Orange Coast College ...it breaks my heart to see California go where it has gone.....There is ...NO... perfect place ...this place works for us

Last edited:

Kenny D

Reaction score
True but when I was there it seemed as if there was a toll booth every 10 miles on the freeway. I paid
a toll About a year ago when I traveled to the Bay Area.
The east coast of Florida has toll roads ....like the 91 fwy ...and the..241...10 fwy to down town Los Angeles...If you want to drive regular traffic it is FREE.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I understand your thinking.....our property tax percentage is the same as Calif......0125 ..to.....0.130....Florida has a tourist tax on everything when people visit.They have a mortgage tax that Calif does not have....after that I can not think of something more .....sales tax less......gas tax less... ....I was a California boy, my kids are 3rd generation Californias.. I Grew up surfing and went to Orange Coast College ...it breaks my heart to see California go where it has gone.....There is ...NO... perfect place ...this place works for us
Where did you live in CA that the property tax was 0.130? Seems high compared to the states average of 0.79%

Kenny D

Reaction score
Where did you live in CA that the property tax was 0.130? Seems high compared to the states average of 0.79%
Diamond Bar....My mistake as of prop. 13 it was 1% cities and counties have added up to .003%....so if you paid a million for your house your property tax are 13000.00 a year.

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

Mostly from tourism and snow birds. I think I read Florida get 111 million visitors per year. As far as property tax. The closer you are to the water is a big factor in property tax. We don't own property in FL. We stay at a RV resort in the winter.

Taboma

Reaction score
Mostly from tourism and snow birds. I think I read Florida get 111 million visitors per year. As far as property tax. The closer you are to the water is a big factor in property tax. We don't own property in FL. We stay at a RV resort in the winter.

So including the "Find the perfect Lake Home Tour " and wintering in Florida you're Full Time RV living ?
We lived 3 years full time in a 5th wheel in our driveway post fire. Kinda got it out of our system ;) What we missed the most ----- A full size shower where you could get drenched all over at once, lol :D
But I can't think of a better way to do what y'all been doing. I'd have to go with trailering a RIB/Jeep stacker, no way I could do it boatless.
I'd at least need a setup like this -----
Rib Jeep stacker.JPG

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I’ve found what they don’t get from you in money, they do in aggravation lol. Registering my boat they wanted an empty weight of the boat trailer, which was on the old title, but they can’t accept weights from other states (gravity is different I guess) When I asked if I’m expected to put the boat in the water and leave it somewhere while I weigh the trailer, I was told “that’s youre problem, you’re the one who bought a boat” I’ve bought/sold 10 vehicles in FL and not a single time did it go smoothly. It’s cheap though.

From tourism. Property taxes in south Florida were pricey (I think I was paying $6k/yr on a $400k house). My house in Jacksonville is super cheap. Water and electricity are pretty cheap too compared to SoCal.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
So including the "Find the perfect Lake Home Tour " and wintering in Florida you're Full Time RV living ?
We lived 3 years full time in a 5th wheel in our driveway post fire. Kinda got it out of our system ;) What we missed the most ----- A full size shower where you could get drenched all over at once, lol :D
But I can't think of a better way to do what y'all been doing. I'd have to go with trailering a RIB/Jeep stacker, no way I could do it boatless.
I'd at least need a setup like this -----
View attachment 789523

Yes have been full time for 2 1/2 years. We have enjoyed it, but we are over the traveling part of it. Ours has a full size shower. We have a Vilano 375FL https://vanleighrv.com/products/the-vilano/375-fl/

When we get back to Sarasota we are going to buy a "park Model" at Sun N Fun. Basically a single wide with a lanai. Then we will sell the truck and 5th wheel.

Tennessee house cost 330K $2200.00 property tax.

shreve"T"

Ex-So Cal.
Reaction score
I know this isn't Florida but my tags on a 2018 F-250 is $65.00 for 3 years VS $875.00 per year in California

Taboma

Reaction score
Yes have been full time for 2 1/2 years. We have enjoyed it, but we are over the traveling part of it. Ours has a full size shower. We have a Vilano 375FL https://vanleighrv.com/products/the-vilano/375-fl/

When we get back to Sarasota we are going to buy a "park Model" at Sun N Fun. Basically a single wide with a lanai. Then we will sell the truck and 5th wheel.

We had a very nice Grand Junction, but our shower wasn't 48x30 and it was for sure a watering saving shower head :mad: We certainly looked forward to our Havasu trips and a real shower :D
Sounds like your Tennessee house negotiations were successful, congratulations !! That Sun N Fun place is huge, that should be some fun laid back "Widows of Fruitville" entertainment, LOL :p:p

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score

Fun N Sun is great! I got a couple of friends that work there. I was looking at buying a place there but was told that we can only be there 8 months out of the year and the rate was $900 a month.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
We had a very nice Grand Junction, but our shower wasn't 48x30 and it was for sure a watering saving shower head :mad: We certainly looked forward to our Havasu trips and a real shower :D
Sounds like your Tennessee house negotiations were successful, congratulations !! That Sun N Fun place is huge, that should be some fun laid back "Widows of Fruitville" entertainment, LOL :p:p
Yes negotiations were good. We will go there in early October for a week, Then next spring will be busy. Needs a new dock, work shop, tractor and new boat.

Widows of Fruitville LOL. There are some horny old broads there for sure. Some make it known they are looking for the next husband. Some leave and go to the Villages further north for more action. In 2017 they busted a group of ladies prostituting out of a park model. Old guys must have talked too much. LOL

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Fun N Sun is great! I got a couple of friends that work there. I was looking at buying a place there but was told that we can only be there 8 months out of the year and the rate was $900 a month.

I know a couple of the workers better than others. Mostly know bar tenders and cooks. LOL Some maintenance guys too. Yes you can only stay part of the year. It is 9 months but you get to pay all year. LOL We don't want to be there in the summer, so It works for us. There is a shit ton of activities to do every week. We are so busy when we are there. It seams like we have 5 different things we are scheduled to do every day. My wife says we don't have enough time to spend at the beach as much as she would like. Her good friend is moving down from Tampa next week, so that will take some pressure off of me.

We will be back there next week. Too early for us, but I have to have surgery on my foot and want to get the recovery done before the fun starts. We will usually be there Mid October to mid April.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Calif spends $4 for every $1 Texas spends on roads.
Family in Louisiana has us all beat on gas tax and vehicle reg.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I have had quite a few clients move to Florida and not regret the move. The property tax is dramatically different pending on the county you live in. I have seen anything from approximately 1-5%. Even my uncle is looking to move there from another conservative state.

I myself would move in a heartbeat, but Socal is a great place to make money. I'm looking at Prescott, Meridian Idaho and North Texas.

Taboma

Reaction score
I know a couple of the workers better than others. Mostly know bar tenders and cooks. LOL Some maintenance guys too. Yes you can only stay part of the year. It is 9 months but you get to pay all year. LOL We don't want to be there in the summer, so It works for us. There is a shit ton of activities to do every week. We are so busy when we are there. It seams like we have 5 different things we are scheduled to do every day. My wife says we don't have enough time to spend at the beach as much as she would like. Her good friend is moving down from Tampa next week, so that will take some pressure off of me.

We will be back there next week. Too early for us, but I have to have surgery on my foot and want to get the recovery done before the fun starts. We will usually be there Mid October to mid April.

Tried to find the 9 month length of stay restriction online, but nada. Years ago we had an annual length of stay restriction in our SD Marina which was imposed due to the limited number of legal Live-A-Boards allowed. Curious why this restriction in this park, even if you purchase a unit and pay annual space rent ?
Do they force you to rent out your unit in your absence ?

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Tried to find the 9 month length of stay restriction online, but nada. Years ago we had an annual length of stay restriction in our SD Marina which was imposed due to the limited number of legal Live-A-Boards allowed. Curious why this restriction in this park, even if you purchase a unit and pay annual space rent ?
Do they force you to rent out your unit in your absence ?

No it cannot be rented during your non-occupancy. We were told(who knows if it is true) that it is due to taxes. They are an rv resort and if they allowed year round living it would be a mobile home park and pay more taxes. As I said we don't care as we don't want to be there in the summer anyway. We haven't heard anyone complain really. Some would like to rent their's during the non-occupancy. None of the people we have become friends with want to deal with renters. Also, most are gone for 6 months at least.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I just got my reg in mail last night, half ton chevy truck, $700

milkmoney

Reaction score
Just paid mine. 167 bucks with personalized plates. [emoji39][emoji202]