WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My kid sucks at being a kid

lbhsbz

Reaction score
We first noticed it on Christmas morning when he was 3...kid picks that day to sleep in till 10:30. Every year since then...same thing. Most kids are up before dawn on Christmas.

We’re taking off to the river today...i told him last night we were gonna leave early so we could get there early and have fun for the rest of the day. He was all excited to go skiing

....he’s still in bed.

When absolutely nothing is going on, he’s up at 6:30/7.

Lol

lbhsbz

Reaction score
That’s the thing. He loves the river, and Christmas. Just always picks the fun days to sleep in.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We first noticed it on Christmas morning when he was 3...kid picks that day to sleep in till 10:30. Every year since then...same thing. Most kids are up before dawn on Christmas.

We’re taking off to the river today...i told him last night we were gonna leave early so we could get there early and have fun for the rest of the day. He was all excited to go skiing

....he’s still in bed.

Lol
What about waking his ass up? Or go with the Home Alone method.:D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My kid hates the river, camping, atvs, travelling in general. Would rather stay at home with grandparents in Hesperia playing video games. I had none of this growing up, really disappointing.
We have one of those too.
Very disappointing when our Dunecat is way more into a RV/OHV trip than your kid.

At St Anthony's Sand Dunes:
RWbhzz7.jpg

Last edited:

SHEP

Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to sleep in the bed of my dads dually that had a carpet kit the night before we were leaving. I'd wake up around Barstow and I think he always wanted me to go back to sleep instead of me talking his ear off. lol

Maybe he is so excited to go, and to see what Santa brought him, that he can't fall asleep and that's why he sleeps in??

At least you are heading the river.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
My alarm is set for 4:35 for work so we leave for the river at 4:35. Car is packed the night prior. Kids walk to the car in pajamas carrying their blankets and pillows and go right back to sleep. When they wake up again were usually at least half way to the river.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm sure your kid is fine and teenagers love to sleep in.

On another note, I wanted to post this.

My nephew:

So my dipshit nephew (15 years old) comes to visit last weekend. Never says please, thank you, barely speaks and it's like pulling teeth to have a conversation. All he wants to do is play video games and watch TV. Lazy little fuck. It's his parents fault for sure. His dad is a complete loser and they live in Seattle if that tells you anything. I don't put up with that shit. We made him hike miles, get up early, help in kitchen, took him to a museum and more. I know he hated every minute of it, but that's what you get when you visit us.

Boss' Son:

Now my boss' son on the other hand who just happens to be 15 as well is the complete opposite.

I came to work early on Sat morning last week to take care of some stuff. The kid is under my boss' Jeep changing the oil, air filter and doing a full service. Then on to the truck! This kid always says hello, ask how I am doing and then starts up a short conversation about something I am interested in.

I have know him for going on four years now so he was 11 when I met him. At that time he was driving the fork lift here at the shop and moving boats with it. He can drive everything from a manual trans truck to a 600hp flatty to a 200k tech laden Nautique G. The other day he was doing fiberglass work on an old boat and re-doing the bunks and paint on an old boat trailer.

This kid is nothing special physical wise and actually on the small side but that doesn't stop him. He plays multiple sports in high school, hunts, shoots, rides bikes and is always here at the shop working on an old go cart or something. He doesn't really seem to be in to video games or has the time.

So there are those kids out there; seem to be far and few between, but they exist.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My kid hates the river, camping, atvs, travelling in general. Would rather stay at home with grandparents in Hesperia playing video games. I had none of this growing up, really disappointing.
Keeping the grandson away from all that as much as we can.
Our oldest was kicking everyone's ass at video games at Best Buy when he was 8 and we though that was cool. It isn't.

kevnmcd

Reaction score

....he’s still in bed.

Lol
I would have pulled him out of bed when I was ready to leave and said you can sleep in the truck.....let's go!

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score

My nephew:

So my dipshit nephew (15 years old) comes to visit last weekend. Never says please, thank you, barely speaks and it's like pulling teeth to have a conversation. All he wants to do is play video games and watch TV. Lazy little fuck. It's his parents fault for sure. His dad is a complete loser and they live in Seattle if that tells you anything. I don't put up with that shit. We made him hike miles, get up early, help in kitchen, took him to a museum and more. I know he hated every minute of it, but that's what you get when you visit us.

Boss' Son:

Now my boss' son on the other hand who just happens to be 15 as well is the complete opposite.

I came to work early on Sat morning last week to take care of some stuff. The kid is under my boss' Jeep changing the oil, air filter and doing a full service. Then on to the truck! This kid always says hello, ask how I am doing and then starts up a short conversation about something I am interested in.

I have know him for going on four years now so he was 11 when I met him. At that time he was driving the fork lift here at the shop and moving boats with it. He can drive everything from a manual trans truck to a 600hp flatty to a 200k tech laden Nautique G. The other day he was doing fiberglass work on an old boat and re-doing the bunks and paint on an old boat trailer.

This kid is nothing special physical wise and actually on the small side but that doesn't stop him. He plays multiple sports in high school, hunts, shoots, rides bikes and is always here at the shop working on an old go cart or something. He doesn't really seem to be in to video games or has the time.

So there are those kids out there; seem to be far and few between, but they exist.
So, your nephew won’t be coming back anytime soon:D

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Having a 4 year old, these are all concerns of mine. One of the things we are doing is strongly limiting screen time, both TV and devices. I have been seeing quite a bit of real peer reviewed, published studies that all agree the high screen time most kids have is actually terrible for their developing brains. A little goes a long ways on this stuff. Developing kids minds are incredibly sensitive to this type of input and it actually alters their development. This is not even touching the whole constant need for approval or "likes" by everyone on things like facebook, twitter, and Instagram type stuff.
Its fairly simple, you want to truly damage your child? Feed them all the screen time they want. Its easy for parents as the kid is not bothering them, but.…...
The science on this is actually quite clear, people want to argue with this but that is generally because they don't want to change what they are doing.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My daughter is 37 years old.
She is the one that always has understood my faults and accepts me for who I am. No judgment.
Today, I am the devil incarnate according to her Facebook page.
I tried to put her into Debs Camry so she’d have a newer, nicer, dependable car for the 2 grandsons.
She had a couple old suvs (Tahoe and Highlander) that were in need of repair, but we’re drivable. She’s been driving the Camry for 3 months now.
The deal was sell both SUVs and give me whatever she got. The Camry books at $10K plus. I would have settled for $5K or even close to that.
She sold the Tahoe for $2700. Didn’t tell me for 3 days. Gave me only a thousand dollars.
Now mind you, I shelled out $900 to fix brakes and other assorted things on her vehicles so she could sell them safely. So the grand barely covered what I was out of pocket already.
That was 5 weeks ago. She was Supposed to go to Carmax and local lots Sunday to get offers on the highlander and I told her give me what you get and we’ll call it a day.
She couldn’t be bothered to do that.
So Saturday I’m flying back to Sac and taking my car back.
She hates me, at least according to her Facebook postings while sitting in her local Starbucks in Sac.
My oldest Grandson is 15, her son.
When I took them all to Alaska this summer he was just a moody little snot. Didn’t hardly get out of the truck to look at anything. He doesn’t spend time on his phone, but was just miserable without his Xbox or whatever game he plays.
By contrast, his 6 year old brother went insane just soaking it all in. He is truly a joy to be around.
I told them next summer just me and the little one are going back.
That trip cost me $10K.
Edit, I’m refunding the thousand dollars I got from her and adding another thousand for her “troubles”.
So lending her my car cost me at least $2000 plus Airfare and hotel and Uber and gas to go get it, plus she hates me.

Nice guys get fucked over, plain and simple.

Oh well, I’ll save a TON of money now that ALL my kids hate me!!

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my parents drove me all over the west. We camped out on the side of the road, no tent, no RV, no quads, or toys. Just my mom, dad and I driving through Nv, Az, Cali, Montana, Wyoming, SD, ND etc and exploring. My dad is a huge history buff and wanted to teach me everything about the west.

To be fair however, at the time I hated it! Sitting in the truck for hours through hundreds of miles of desert and no man's land. I didn't have hand held video games, or such to keep me occupied; just staring out the window or reading a book as we drove for hours. But I look back on it and it was some of the most memorable experiences in my life and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I learned so much and thank my parents every time I see them for being such good people and FORCING me to go do that stuff.

My wife and I don't have kids, but I think that is why we are always going new places together. It doesn't matter if it is some dusty ghost town in the middle of Nv, or a train museum just down the road. It's so much fun and you don't realize how much you appreciate that stuff until you are older.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
This scares the livin shit outta me...Take the F'n machines away...I got five grandkids..my boy has two sons 10 and 7..screen time might be 0 minutes a day...or whatever is required in school..These two boys do everything..all sports..academia is Christian private school..they excel at all they do..including tournament water skiing..Polite and super well mannered and they play hard. My daughter has two girls...all they want to do is screen time..YOUTUBE up the ass..they have a quick conversation with the adults and cannot wait to turn the TV on or grab an IPad and sit..very little outdoor playtime..IT SUCKS. I can't even get they're attention when they are engaged with TV...RIP THE M'Fers out of they're hands and start over..try again...I don't know the answer to all this...BUT..These kids become isolated and dark..slow communication..it's not good. I'm sorry if I offended anybody but I'm living it and I DON'T like it...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Debs son Jeffery (the junkie thief now) would literally sit in the truck and stare while his mom loaded the stuff up and I got the boat ready.
You could not force him to do anything.
I would have gone berserk with joy if my dad had any of the cool stuff that I had then.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
thats why i leave at like 10pm to drive to the lake. kids and wife are tired. temps are lower. no traffic. everyone sleeps and we get there at like 2am, we move the kids to the bed and I unpack. its easier on me and everyone else than sitting in the car for hours.

Englewood

Reaction score

My nephew:

Boss' Son:

There is gonna be a massive wealth gap when these kids enter the workforce. The kids who know how to entertain themselves and not be lazy will be much more succesful than the video game dorks.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
It's the parents faults and it's what is wrong with society.

If you are allowing your children to watch tv, internet or game non stop than you are causing the issue. Kids will do as much as you let them get away with.

If your kid is 20 years old living at home using your cell phone, watching your tv,driving your car while not going to school and working part time at pizza port you are failing. You can live here while you go to school part time once you quit school you are out and need to figure stuff out for yourself. If you on;y charge them $200 a month rent what good does that do in showing them you need to keep pushing forward to be successful.....They need to struggle to get hungry

We have a strict no game/Ipad Monday through Thursday. I allow 5 hours of gaming from Friday evening until Sunday and he can earn up to an extra 2 hours if he reads for 2 hours.

Zero exceptions if you don't manage your time and kill it all on Friday night you are out of luck.

We keep him super active and out of the house as much as possible. My goal is to raise a very well balanced , hard working adult I" don't need anymore friends....lol.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
There is gonna be a massive wealth gap when these kids enter the workforce. The kids who know how to entertain themselves and not be lazy will be much more succesful than the video game dorks.

Yea think??????

The great social experiment of this generation......
And our kids are the test subject.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So now someone makes a thread disparaging his child And no one blames his parenting or marriage?

What is this place coming to? :) Last week a marriage was falling apart when a wife cut off her hair.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Anybody have a child or grandchild that would get excited over getting one of these? 120 pack is nuts. 72 pack was the biggest we had growing up.
20190821_140400.jpg

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Shit my dads 72 Chevy pickup was loaded for him mom bought his beer we had Shasta soda and burgers we would set up everything well he drank his hamms beer fun everytime

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
Pizza Port is the shit! Solana Beeeeeach. ooooohhhhhh

DC-88

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my parents drove me all over the west. We camped out on the side of the road, no tent, no RV, no quads, or toys.
I miss a lot of content here, but sometimes the stuff you write ....it's like our parents were related..... Mine ran the same program. No tent (we were fine on money ), but whether backpacking above the treeline or road tripping through the US/Canada we all slept straight on a pad to be able to see the stars, ate slices of salami and cheese cut off with a buck knife on crackers with trail mix for lunch, and had fishing poles but no toys. I have great memories of the stuff we did and situations we survived, but by age 11 they had an "oops" baby and I was vacationing with friends doing lake trips, ski trips, surf trips , and saving up for my first dirtbike.

KevinR

Reaction score
My alarm is set for 4:35 for work so we leave for the river at 4:35. Car is packed the night prior. Kids walk to the car in pajamas carrying their blankets and pillows and go right back to sleep. When they wake up again were usually at least half way to the river.

Exactly the way we did it for years going to Mead. Worked perfectly.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
thats why i leave at like 10pm to drive to the lake. kids and wife are tired. temps are lower. no traffic. everyone sleeps and we get there at like 2am, we move the kids to the bed and I unpack. its easier on me and everyone else than sitting in the car for hours.

I can’t do the late nights anymore. I used to leave at 10pm and pull in at 1:30 or so...no cops on the road, no traffic.

Now? Fuck all that. I’m in bed by 10 or 11 most night. I’m not gonna drive that late with my family in the car.

The kid has a tablet that he plays games on...great for road trips...or so I thought.

I usually have the boy with me one way on river trips...grandparents either bring him early or keep him later. Not this time. Me and boy rolled out at 10:30. He’s 9. His tablet died at about chiriaco summit and he forgot his charger.

So we started chatting...I gave him the option of rice road or up the AZ side. He picked rice road, so rice road it was.

I don’t even remember what we talked about, but I somehow kept his interest and before we both knew it, we pulled into Vidal Jct.

Damn...that went quick. Felt like 20 minutes....at 58mph towing.

New leaf turned over again. We both learned something. I asked if he wanted to go to town and get a charger for the ride home...”nope”.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Wow. I always had the truck loaded and boat hooked so when my dad was done working , we could go to the lake , at the lake I unloaded and helped set up camp ....

When going home, loaded up truck , helped with getting boat hooked up , then when home helped unload and put boat away.

Anything to help my dad , because he worked hard to provide the things in life that were above basic needs ....

I am glad I am a work alcoholic by trait. Thanks dad and mom

Parents need to look in the fucking mirror when it comes to ur children , I believe it all starts in the home with the parents...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

endobear

Reaction score
Wanna go to the dezert?
She wil always lend a hand.
My son. Not so much.

Attachments

• 20190314_100703.jpg
    20190314_100703.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 88

endobear

Reaction score
Shes loading the snowed in toy hauler..
She helped me dig it out .

cofooter

Reaction score
My daughters 27 and 31 grew up boating. Couldn't wait to get to the lake, get up early and ski, they were really into the camping thing. Almost every weekend! Today they have young families and have different priorities, hard to get them up in the AM, and their kids are the same. We'll go out for a hour or two, they like the tube, but nothing else, and then they want to do something else. Kinda breaks my heart but then again, I love spending time with them. Will keep trying to get them to put down the games and get excited in something else. Always give the little guys a wrench and let them get on it. JUst different these days and trying to be a good Grandpa. regardless.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I can’t do the late nights anymore. I used to leave at 10pm and pull in at 1:30 or so...no cops on the road, no traffic.

Now? Fuck all that. I’m in bed by 10 or 11 most night. I’m not gonna drive that late with my family in the car.

The kid has a tablet that he plays games on...great for road trips...or so I thought.

I usually have the boy with me one way on river trips...grandparents either bring him early or keep him later. Not this time. Me and boy rolled out at 10:30. He’s 9. His tablet died at about chiriaco summit and he forgot his charger.

So we started chatting...I gave him the option of rice road or up the AZ side. He picked rice road, so rice road it was.

I don’t even remember what we talked about, but I somehow kept his interest and before we both knew it, we pulled into Vidal Jct.

Damn...that went quick. Felt like 20 minutes....at 58mph towing.

New leaf turned over again. We both learned something. I asked if he wanted to go to town and get a charger for the ride home...”nope”.

hes 9?! Damn time flies.

robby dmax

Reaction score
It's the parents faults and it's what is wrong with society.

If you are allowing your children to watch tv, internet or game non stop than you are causing the issue. Kids will do as much as you let them get away with.

If your kid is 20 years old living at home using your cell phone, watching your tv,driving your car while not going to school and working part time at pizza port you are failing. You can live here while you go to school part time once you quit school you are out and need to figure stuff out for yourself. If you on;y charge them $200 a month rent what good does that do in showing them you need to keep pushing forward to be successful.....They need to struggle to get hungry

We have a strict no game/Ipad Monday through Thursday. I allow 5 hours of gaming from Friday evening until Sunday and he can earn up to an extra 2 hours if he reads for 2 hours.

Zero exceptions if you don't manage your time and kill it all on Friday night you are out of luck.

We keep him super active and out of the house as much as possible. My goal is to raise a very well balanced , hard working adult I" don't need anymore friends....lol.

Well said..good job!!

Socalx09

Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to sleep in the bed of my dads dually that had a carpet kit the night before we were leaving. I'd wake up around Barstow and I think he always wanted me to go back to sleep instead of me talking his ear off. lol

Maybe he is so excited to go, and to see what Santa brought him, that he can't fall asleep and that's why he sleeps in??

At least you are heading the river.

I was that kid growing up. So excited I couldn't sleep all night and finally fell asleep due to being so tired. I would try to sleep in. But, it was just my dad and I and he didn't want to launch the boat by himself, so he'd wake me up at 630 so I could launch the boat while I was young without anyone noticing. I ended up getting a nap on the boat.

Now I can sleep early/stay up late and wake up early because I'm so excited to get on the boat. I have it hooked up and ready to go. Now my dad sleeps in haha. I think I like boating more than he does. He just wants the boat to work and find a cove to float all day.

Wow. I always had the truck loaded and boat hooked so when my dad was done working , we could go to the lake , at the lake I unloaded and helped set up camp ....

When going home, loaded up truck , helped with getting boat hooked up , then when home helped unload and put boat away.

Anything to help my dad , because he worked hard to provide the things in life that were above basic needs ....

I am glad I am a work alcoholic by trait. Thanks dad and mom

Parents need to look in the fucking mirror when it comes to ur children , I believe it all starts in the home with the parents...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Totally agree with this. I would be so happy to help my dad with whatever he needed because he would work two jobs just so I can have a good life growing up. I can tell his age is getting to him. He still is tired from work at the lake, so I try my best to have the boat ready to go and put it away. I get the boat serviced before Spring and winterized so he doesn't have to make the long trip for no reason. Works too hard to deal with small things like that.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
When I was just little, like 8-9 years old, my Dad was Combat Control and ran his own Sport Skydiving Club in Arkansas. (Vagabond Sport Parachute club).
I was TOTALLY into his job and the skydiving club. I was the kid on the block with all the parachutes and pilot chutes rigging drag chutes for our mini bikes, go carts and stuff.
My Dad had a Mark II Paracommander (PC) sport chute that we modified with soldering irons and hem strips for added drive and steering. I knew everything there was to know about parachutes and skydiving at that time. At 9 years old I would pack parachutes for guys between jumps for 50 cents. Being a jump master, my Dad was qualified to pack reserve chutes, and they got a little lead seal punched onto the rip cord pins when repacked. They needed opened and repacked every 30 days by FAA regs. He’d call my mom during the day from work and say “Tell Tommy to repack all the reserves before I get home, we are doing night jumps tonight”. I’d go out in the yard and repack a dozen or whatever and he’d get home and stamp them. I was 8 years old. I’d make all my friends stay away from the chutes and was meticulous in my proccess. I’d write down the specs for each chute as I packed it, line conditions, flap count, air pocket width, pilot chute type and condition, everything.
He’d go over my notes with a fine tooth comb and question every thing.
He’d take me to his shop on base and we’d do all nighters packing military chutes for his troops.
He trusted my work FAR more than most of his guys work.
We got stationed in Alaska when I was 10. Everything changed.
Parachuting got replaced by survival and Nav training.
We camped every single weekend in the summers. We didn’t camp like normal families. We'd usually be with younger couples that were also Combat Control. We rarely stayed at campgrounds. We built our own bivouacs and toilets and everything.
It was always training...fishing, snaring, navigation, firearms, everything.
At 12-14 years old I could navigate for days with a Topo and compass.
My younger brother and I would pre run training routes through Alaska woods for 10 miles or more hitting and marking waypoints for his upcoming trainig routes for his troops.
People would freak out on trails when they’d see us. A 10 year old and a 12 year old in military dress with 357 mag sidearms and a Mossberg and usually a 7mm Rifle.
Armed to the teeth and me with the compass out and my little brother with the map out.
Mom would freak straight the fuck out.

Most of my friends were the same way, but not quite so immersed.
Later as young adults we’d go “fishing” for the weekend and all we’d take was our rods and guns.
All of us could survive indefinitely in the woods, it was nothing.

That was “camping” for us.
I miss those days sometimes. While it may have hardened me in a negative way, like having little tolerance for spoiled brats (even my own) I wouldn’t trade that shit for anything.

I don’t know how to raise kids today.
Everything is so “emotional sensitive” I just don’t get it. There’s always something “wrong” with a kid just because he doesn’t fit some undefined “normalcy”.
I think it’s all bullshit.