WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ring Spotlight Video Cameras?

floatn turd

Reaction score
Folks,
I am thinking of getting a few of these Ring Spotlight Cameras for around the house.
Does anyone have anything better and cheaper I should check out before I buy?

Note:
  • $150-ish each
  • The multi camera video recording plan is $100 a year

Thank you

FT
Capture.PNG

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Arlo 5 wireless camera kit with receiver. Costco.

trophybug19

Reaction score
I have the flood light one and the Ring2 for the doorbell. I am not impressed with them. There is a noticable delay when trying to access the live view. Even when I am sitting in my house connected to the wifi I have a 50/50 chance to being able to connect with either of them. I have check all connections and it shows I have a good connection to each of them. I have a Google mesh network so I know I have good wifi to each of them. I am not sure if there is anything better out there but I am seriously considering returning these to costco and trying maybe the nest brand or another.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have the flood light one and the Ring2 for the doorbell. I am not impressed with them. There is a noticable delay when trying to access the live view. Even when I am sitting in my house connected to the wifi I have a 50/50 chance to being able to connect with either of them. I have check all connections and it shows I have a good connection to each of them. I have a Google mesh network so I know I have good wifi to each of them. I am not sure if there is anything better out there but I am seriously considering returning these to costco and trying maybe the nest brand or another.
What he said exactly...

Same set up one spot light cam over the garage, and a doorbell cam. I receive notifications on my phone whenever their is activity and if I immediately try and look on my phone to see what is going on their is a long delay.

Both units also seem to lose connectivity to my network even with the boosters Ring provided. And when you loose connectivity you may not know for a few days when you go and look at the history and nothing has been recorded. I have often thought about throwing them in the trash, my 2 cents- look around, I think their are better system available that are close in price, I am not overly impressed with mine.

Familyties

Reaction score
We have the Ring 2 door bell and 3 Blink wifi cameras from amazon. They all seem to work fine after you adjust them.
At our Havasu Springs home we have the Wemo NETCAM mounted just below our awing and works great even in the heat

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Ring is good but not perfect.

Battery ring spotlight records 30 seconds

Plug in ring spotlight records over a minute

The new versions are out and are suppose to be better

Reactions: DWC

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
What he said exactly...

Same set up one spot light cam over the garage, and a doorbell cam. I receive notifications on my phone whenever their is activity and if I immediately try and look on my phone to see what is going on their is a long delay.

Both units also seem to lose connectivity to my network even with the boosters Ring provided. And when you loose connectivity you may not know for a few days when you go and look at the history and nothing has been recorded. I have often thought about throwing them in the trash, my 2 cents- look around, I think their are better system available that are close in price, I am not overly impressed with mine.

I have 4 spotlight cams 1 video doorbell and 1 stick up cam.wired in the house.

The doorbell cam is the worst video quality. Everything else works and never loses connection. Your wifi might be good but if internet connection goes down it could fuck with them.

Mine have never disconnected from wifi and they are almost all a year old.

Only issue is every once in a while the ring cloud has glitches or is down.

You have to have good cell service to view live view

DWC

Reaction score
We have the doorbell and 2 battery stick ups. As stated, once you dial in the settings they work pretty good. My only issue is the backyard cam. It doesn’t catch movements from very far at night. I’m sure the floodlight version is much better for night time use.

6718F470-6EE5-4611-823C-50E56D91DA22.jpeg

Socalx09

Reaction score
1 ring doorbell pro and 1 ring spotlight

After I got the EERO routers, and changed the transformer on the doorbell, the delay issue went away for me.

Always pay yearly for the plans. It’s cheaper.

I don’t like the new way their app is set up. It is difficult to go back and when it says motion at the front door, it doesn’t go automatically to a live view, but tries to show you what set off the motion in the beginning. I want a live view right away, then I can go back. Gets pretty good resolution. Since it’s powered, I don’t like that it doesn’t show the live feed when opening the app. Affordable multi device subscription plan. Can also set up with the ring alarm system. I have it, but never really used it so not sure how it works with the cameras yet.
D3CB60DF-7B5A-402F-BE3A-DA919DFEA29F.png

447B2C39-1BD7-4894-9B43-1E9CD499591A.png

Nest outdoor original camera-

My favorite camera. I want to get the IQ one, but it still pricey. But, it won’t have the power cord that connects to a regular outlet. The IQ is hardwire which is nice since no one can cut the cord. I routed it inside the garage outlet so no one can unplug it, but someone can still cut the cord.

Has good resolution and shows a live feed. Records all day so you can go back. Doesn’t rely on motion to record. The new IQ will zoom in peoples faces and recognizes them so you can ID them. Also has motion alerts. Nest has a pricey subscription and is per camera. Ring has a multi device plan.
8E38AFE6-C12D-4144-850A-1EEF0C05AA47.png

3 1st generation Arlos- No monthly subscription if you don’t want it. Will store a certain amount of footage and self delete without subscription. Pretty good resolution. The new ones are probably a lot better. I don’t have audio on mine. I learned quickly to buy rechargeable batteries as the CR123A batteries are pricey and can ran out quickly if you have pets or a lot of motion. I like that it has different modes like arm and disarm. You can set up schedules for motion alerts. I don’t like that you have to press play to update the feed when you open the app. The new versions could have changed this. I use it inside now to watch my grandma when I am out incase she falls. Not sure on the new generation, but it relies on its hub, so it’s best to place that centrally between cameras to maximize reception to all cameras so you need an Ethernet cable central.

442BA83F-AB36-47FA-82E0-7B2BE9A29C6B.png

I haven’t been able to stick to one brand since there are pros and cons to each. But, if money was no object, I’d get the Nest IQs.

Kahunajuice

Reaction score
I have the same issue with the Nest.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Fyi I bought my ring cameras on cyber Monday. 2 spotlight came and an amazon alexa for $200 I'f I remember correctly

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Key to anything is have a good router.

Have the spotlight camera and mine connects instantly. Battery life is meh.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I have 6 Ring cameras at my fire station and 3 at home they work good but you must have a good and fast internet connection.

just_floatin

Reaction score
I use the CamHi HD cameras from Amazon. Internal storage, alarm, motion detect, alerts, phone app and no subscription.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I had these EZVis cameras.
$89 from Amazon.

I was happy with them. I got the wireless signal/ wired power models because I did not want batteries dying when I was out of town for weeks at a time.
Simplist devices I’ve ever set up.
One year cloud was like 60 bucks per camera, for a 7 day loop.
They have audio, and you can yell at people over the camera in real time from your phone no matter where you are.
They do have a card slot, but I went with cloud and it was a good thing because when my jackass step son tried to break in my house he stole the cameras thinking I couldn’t see the footage. But even though the cameras were gone I had him on video from the cloud. I downloaded it to my phone and emailed it to the cop from Colorado to California in less time than it took to type this.
anyway, for $90 a camera, and the endless features, simple set up and operation, and I never had ANY issue with live view or weak signal.
Hell I could check them from Colorado when I had too weak of a signal for a phone call the app still let me see them just fine in real time, and talk over them.

https://www.amazon.com/EZVIZ-C3W-ezGuard-1080p-Activated/dp/B079D8CTWJ

D9C5653A-CD25-4B37-9613-731E26A9D59D.png

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
https://www.wyze.com/

Indoor cams but I have a bunch of them running outside at both my mobile at river and my home in HB. They require power but for 20 bucks and free 14 day cloud storage, they are hard to beat.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
4E894285-F585-4588-9EE4-D66BC6E32E81.png
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]Home depot has them on sale every now and then. Waiting for the sale again and I’m going to pick up 2 cameras

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
We have a ring spotlight. The connect time is slow but I think mainly where I have it placed between two pillars and fairly far away from the router. Says it has poor connection but I’ve been to lazy to move it. It’s also solar charged not hard wired.
The spotlight is also only 2g connectivity where the flood light is 5g.
IMG_2640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
Key to anything is have a good router.

Have the spotlight camera and mine connects instantly. Battery life is meh.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
What do you look for in a router? I have a ruouter that Verizon provided for their internet service and its an older unit. If I was to replace, what am I looking for?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
What do you look for in a router? I have a ruouter that Verizon provided for their internet service and its an older unit. If I was to replace, what am I looking for?

You are in for a treat!! The modem/router that the cable companies give you are junk.

We bought a Netgear Nighthawk from Best Buy because the streaming quality with the modem from Spectrum was crap. Hooked this bad boy up and it was a game changer.

Ring Camera works like it should, full HD quality streaming with HULU, not delay in sports and can have like 10 devices running on it at the same time and the network doesn't slow down. They are worth every penny.

Super easy to set up too.

ttps://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-x4-dual-band-ac3200-router-with-24-x-8-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/6156903.p?skuId=6156903

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Some of you with slow connections may want to consider an extender. I assume most people have their modem in the living room, so that is quite a way for the signal to reach at the front door.

A mesh WIFI system can work good too for RING.

I promise you it is all your router/modem at the end of the day. Replace it with something good and it is night and day.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
2 ring door bells, vegas/fort mohave, if you set both as the same address you don't have to pay a separate account. On the ring delay, the notification comes when it detects motion. You can't see that video until it records the 30sec and uploads.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Man, a ton of good info.

My router is old as shit and the upload/download speed is a joke.

I bought a Canary Flex Camera and could not even hook it up to the Wifi because the router was so old. (no MAC address input)
I had to sell the damn thing!
So, I will need to address my router problem before I buy.
I will probably try one of these cheaper cameras and see how I like em.

Thank you guys

FT

HSR

Reaction score
You are in for a treat!! The modem/router that the cable companies give you are junk.

We bought a Netgear Nighthawk from Best Buy because the streaming quality with the modem from Spectrum was crap. Hooked this bad boy up and it was a game changer.

Ring Camera works like it should, full HD quality streaming with HULU, not delay in sports and can have like 10 devices running on it at the same time and the network doesn't slow down. They are worth every penny.

Super easy to set up too.

ttps://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-x4-dual-band-ac3200-router-with-24-x-8-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/6156903.p?skuId=6156903
Also have the netgear nighthawk something or other. Upgraded from stock suddenlink cable router. Bought it at staples. Wasn’t cheap. Using the speed test app on my phone to test WiFi speed, my download speed went from 50 ish MBS to 250 ish. Upload speeds also went up by triple or so.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Also have the netgear nighthawk something or other. Upgraded from stock suddenlink cable router. Bought it at staples. Wasn’t cheap. Using the speed box app on my phone to test WiFi speed, my download speed went from 50 ish MBS to 250 ish. Upload speeds also went up by triple or so.

I'm going to start shopping for one.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Imo the Ring brand is overpriced.

Yeah I’d love to have the integration with my Ring doorbell, but their pricing is ridiculous. I can get 10 WiFi cams on Amazon for what Ring charges for 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I went with Eufy cameras. They are not cheap but worth every penny.

The Eufy cameras run on batteries so you do not have to worry about plugging them in. The battery is supposed to last a year between charges, Mine will probably go around 6 months because we have bees that keep setting them off.

The Eufy app is pretty cool. I have two teenage kids with bedrooms in the basement that they can easily sneak out of. I have a camera that looks over their windows, if they were to try and sneak out I would get a notification on my phone that the cameras detected motion the event would be recorded.

The cameras are about $200 a pop and require a hub which was around $180. Eufy also has a spotlight and doorbell similar to the ring but they’re a little less expensive from what I remember. The image quality is insanely good considering these things are purely battery powered and the night vision is also very good. The other nice thing is that there is no monthly subscription required. I have cameras inside my house and they require a subscription that I pay $5 a month for, I’m going to most likely replace my indoor cameras with Eufys in the next couple months so I can dump the subscription service.

IMG_0104.JPG

Mike K

Reaction score
I went with Arlo for inside the Havasu house ... but I think they would fry if u mounted them outside in Havi. Anyone have kinda cheap outside camera’s in Havasu ?

Reaction score
I went with Eufy cameras. They are not cheap but worth every penny.

The Eufy cameras run on batteries so you do not have to worry about plugging them in. The battery is supposed to last a year between charges, Mine will probably go around 6 months because we have bees that keep setting them off.

The Eufy app is pretty cool. I have two teenage kids with bedrooms in the basement that they can easily sneak out of. I have a camera that looks over their windows, if they were to try and sneak out I would get a notification on my phone that the cameras detected motion the event would be recorded.

The cameras are about $200 a pop and require a hub which was around $180. Eufy also has a spotlight and doorbell similar to the ring but they’re a little less expensive from what I remember. The image quality is insanely good considering these things are purely battery powered and the night vision is also very good. The other nice thing is that there is no monthly subscription required. I have cameras inside my house and they require a subscription that I pay $5 a month for, I’m going to most likely replace my indoor cameras with Eufys in the next couple months so I can dump the subscription service.

View attachment 790744

I hope you made your kids reimburse you for those cameras....:)