WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I-40. Deadliest Highway in AZ

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
8F478BD7-43BF-4470-A784-B13657E084FD.png

Socalx09

Reaction score
Did the article state how many accidents were speed related?

Driving the 40 drives me nuts! There are always a few cars that merges to to the right lane, speeds up to the ski, brakes hard and forces their way into the left lane, and repeats. They never get very far ahead of you either.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've seen the same on the 15 going to Vegas.

Did the article state how many accidents were speed related?

Driving the 40 drives me nuts! There are always a few cars that merges to to the right lane, speeds up to the ski, brakes hard and forces their way into the left lane, and repeats. They never get very far ahead of you either.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
How busy is this highway in relation to others?
How many fatalities per mile travelled?

The overall number could look large, but statistically it could be more safe than a rural two-lane...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Have you noticed all the carnage to the metal barriers on the side of the road , particularly the ones leading to an overpass ? It seems as soon as their repaired , someone immediately crashes into them .

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Timing..Could have something to do with the timing of leaving the west coast area and driving a certain number of hours prior to hitting the 40 in Barstow... Then the road "hypnosis" kicks in and people lose the edge required to stay safe... I'm not sure where the eastern side of that "timing" starts from, probably somewhere in Texas...This timing is especially critical in the big rigs... Stay safe people...
Ray

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

The overall number could look large, but statistically it could be more safe than a rural two-lane...

This.

Taboma

Reaction score
Timing..Could have something to do with the timing of leaving the west coast area and driving a certain number of hours prior to hitting the 40 in Barstow... Then the road "hypnosis" kicks in and people lose the edge required to stay safe... I'm not sure where the eastern side of that "timing" starts from, probably somewhere in Texas...This timing is especially critical in the big rigs... Stay safe people...
Ray

Seems as if most of the conversation in this thread is regarding the CA section of 40. Altogether different terrain, weather (Winter snow & Ice) and lack of semi-truck speed restrictions on the AZ side.
Hypnosis and fatigue are certainly a factor on both sides of the border.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
If they would fix the potholes and shit, it might be safe

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Article says it's adjusted with NHTSA traffic figures.
Makes me believe less traffic and accidents overall but the wrecks they do have prove to be more fatal.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
But what does that even mean? :)
Usually a per vehicle average.
Say, something like 1.14 fatalities per every 10000 cars.(I just threw these #s in so don't take it as accurate/real)
Average for fatals is generally much lower in congested areas.....slower speeds and many more cars daily.

Groper

Reaction score
Have you noticed all the carnage to the metal barriers on the side of the road , particularly the ones leading to an overpass ? It seems as soon as their repaired , someone immediately crashes into them .
I too have notice those barriers all mangled up along with all the rubber laid down going off the HWY or into the barriers, I've have also seen quite a few Semis on their sides down in a hole.
I see several Semi drivers eating, on the phone, texting while watching movies on the dash, talk about being distracted.
A few weeks ago traveling NB15 going over HWY18 in Victorville (new bridge construction) a Semi came over from the right lane into my lane (center) and pushed me into a car in the fast lane, I laid on the horn and the driver quickly moved back towards the right, how the tree of us did not all get together in a big pile is beyond me.
The f**king dipsshit Semi driver was texting :mad:
I wonder what stretch of the 40 is the worst part because as you enter eastern NM traveling east through TX and into OK you might see one car or semi about every 5 miles or more :D

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Most of the deaths occur on that stretch from high speed roll overs due to the soft shoulder, although running into the back of semis seems to be popular lately. They are filling in most of the center sections now to apparently make things safer in the areas where there are drop offs.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I drive the 40 a lot and I'd be interested to see how many of the crashes on the CA side involve semis versus those in AZ.

The difference in speed limits between them (55) and the rest of traffic (70) is the biggest hazard out there.

The 55 limit in CA for towing is completely stupid.

Last edited:

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Every state has to have one road that is the most deadliest. Something like 40,000 people die in MVA's every year. They have to be on some road. I-40 is probably the most traveled road in AZ. If it weren't I-40 then it would be I-17 or some other road.

2Driver

Reaction score
You’ll be waiting a long time cause it ain’t going to happen.

Highway 93 between Wickenburg out to the 40 used to be a high death rate road. A guy that worked for me came over a hill and found bodies in the road from a crash minutes prior.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
You’ll be waiting a long time cause it ain’t going to happen.

Highway 93 between Wickenburg out to the 40 used to be a high death rate road. A guy that worked for me came over a hill and found bodies in the road from a crash minutes prior.
Back in the 80s or 90s I don’t remember, it was considered the deadliest road in America by one of the trucking associations. It’s a hell of a lot better than it was 30 years ago.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Id love to see a self driving truck try n do my job. Lol. Be a meltdown
You don't think Elon's brainchild could do multiple routes at different weights while receiving instructions for material placement from a general, a sub and a ground flunky, and trying to dodge heavy equipment on sites and dipshits on freeways?

Even computers will learn to drink:D

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
You don't think Elon's brainchild could do multiple routes at different weights while receiving instructions for material placement from a general, a sub and a ground flunky, and trying to dodge heavy equipment on sites and dipshits on freeways?

Even computers will learn to drink:D
The day of autonomous driving is here. They drive, back up and park themselves already so the rest can't be far behind.
George Jetson shit.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
The day of autonomous driving is here. They drive, back up and park themselves already so the rest can't be far behind.
George Jetson shit.
Nope not George jetson shit. They dont fly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score
I would think the 15 was more deadly. People drive like shit.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I would think the 15 was more deadly. People drive like shit.

There is only 29.5 miles of interstate 15 in Arizona. I wouldn't think that stretch would be the deadliest highway in Arizona.

Dan'l

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
View attachment 790080

Doesn’t help matters much when these guys crash at this speed.
With so many of the trucks being tracked by GPS in surprised the carrier companies let those clowns run that kind of speed. I get runing a little north of 55, but 83, good lord!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
With so many of the trucks being tracked by GPS in surprised the carrier companies let those clowns run that kind of speed. I get runing a little north of 55, but 83, good lord!

Driver happiness is a thing for smaller carriers.
We didn’t run limiters because our drivers - who all used to be owner/operators - weren’t having it.

We burned a lot of fuel, but our drivers were fat and happy and the transport division was a cash cow.

Swift runs limiters...and they seemingly hire any flunky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Driver happiness is a thing for smaller carriers.
We didn’t run limiters because our drivers - who all used to be owner/operators - weren’t having it.

We burned a lot of fuel, but our drivers were fat and happy and the transport division was a cash cow.

Swift runs limiters...and they seemingly hire any flunky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is swift like the fat kid in dodgeball when it comes to drivers? I see the memes that get created about swift and always wondered why swift gets singled out

78Southwind

Reaction score
I drive the 40 a lot and I'd be interested to see how many of the crashes on the CA side involve semis versus those in AZ.

The difference in speed limits between them (55) and the rest of traffic (70) is the biggest hazard out there.

The 55 limit in CA for towing is completely stupid.

I don't know if changing the speed limit would help or not. But what trips me out about this is every time I am traveling the 40 CA I have a truck driver cut me off when I am doing 70 MPH after they catch up to another semi-truck doing 55 MPH. There will be three or four vehicles with me bring up the rear and out of nowhere here comes the semi-truck changing lanes nearly causing an accident. I look in my rear-view mirror and sure enough there is no one behind me for miles and miles. WTF...is up with this?

I do everything I can to not pick up my cell phone and call in a drunk driver to the CHP. I can't figure it out. I have asked a good friend of mine who use to drive long distance and trained drivers. He basically said the new generation of truck drivers are dirt bags. He said when he was driving long distance that he would see them on the road driving with their feet, watching tv and eating all at the same time. He believes the problem is with the high percentage of immigrant drivers. He said that they aren't given appropriate training, don't completely understand the English language and don't seem to have respect for anyone.

Kind of crazy because he is a US citizen by naturalization.:cool:

Last edited:

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I don't know if changing the speed limit would help or not. But what trips me out about this is every time I am traveling the 40 CA I have a truck driver cut me off when I am doing 70 MPH after they catch up to another semi-truck doing 55 MPH. There will be three or four vehicles with me bring up the rear and out of nowhere here comes the semi-truck changing lanes nearly causing an accident. I look in my rear-view mirror and sure enough there is no one behind me for miles and miles. WTF...is up with this?

I do everything I can to not pick up my cell phone and call in a drunk driver to the CHP. I can't figure it out. I have asked a good friend of mine who use to drive long distance and trained drivers. He basically said the new generation of truck drivers are dirt bags. He said when he was driving long distance that he would see them on the road driving with their feet, watching tv and eating all at the same time. He believes the problem is with the high percentage of immigrant drivers. He said that they aren't given appropriate training, don't completely understand the English language and don't seem to have respect anyone.

I don't know why, but I have it happen to me too. What makes it worse is the guy who jumps out in front of me to pass the truck that is doing 55 is only doing 56 or 57. It's a pretty long time before he finally pulls ahead of the other truck and moves back into his lane.

Getting rid of the 55 speed limit would not only bring the trucks closer to the speed of other traffic as it should be, but would also reduce instances of them passing each other and cutting us off.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Is swift like the fat kid in dodgeball when it comes to drivers? I see the memes that get created about swift and always wondered why swift gets singled out

Whenever something stupid happens it's a swift truck. Saw one making a right turn and stuck the tractor and trailer on a telephone pole Sunday in RC.

Sure
Wish
I
Finished
Training

Your ad here

Reaction score

I do everything I can to not pick up my cell phone and call in a drunk driver to the CHP. I can't figure it out. I have asked a good friend of mine who use to drive long distance and trained drivers. He basically said the new generation of truck drivers are dirt bags. He said when he was driving long distance that he would see them on the road driving with their feet, watching tv and eating all at the same time. He believes the problem is with the high percentage of immigrant drivers. He said that they aren't given appropriate training, don't completely understand the English language and don't seem to have respect anyone.
This newer generation has no respect at all and are always the victim. They let the CDL card get to their head.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Whenever something stupid happens it's a swift truck. Saw one making a right turn and stuck the tractor and trailer on a telephone pole Sunday in RC.

Sure
Wish
I
Finished
Training
No, no, no...

So
What,
I
F'n
Tried

Swift is a huge company. Always needing drivers. Well, you've been to McDonalds...bodies filling spaces. Their trucks are governed to 68 I believe. The truck sends a message to HQ if a panic stop is made. The newer trucks with E shift setups I've seen with collision warning alarms when you get too close. At some point, buzzursgo off and the brakes self apply. Don't know how it works, but would probably suck in city traffic.

78Southwind

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I have it happen to me too. What makes it worse is the guy who jumps out in front of me to pass the truck that is doing 55 is only doing 56 or 57. It's a pretty long time before he finally pulls ahead of the other truck and moves back into his lane.

Getting rid of the 55 speed limit would not only bring the trucks closer to the speed of other traffic as it should be, but would also reduce instances of them passing each other and cutting us off.

The only problem with that is being hit by a semi-truck at speed. I would imagine the higher the speed at impact the less of a chance for survival for those hit by a 80,000 lbs semi-truck. I was hit by a semi-tuck that was doing 57 MPH while we were sitting in stop in go traffic. By the grace of god we were pushed into the right hand open lane instead of hitting the stopped semi-truck in front of us. I am sure we would be dead if the guy that hit us was traveling any faster.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

I do everything I can to not pick up my cell phone and call in a drunk driver to the CHP. I can't figure it out. I have asked a good friend of mine who use to drive long distance and trained drivers. He basically said the new generation of truck drivers are dirt bags. He said when he was driving long distance that he would see them on the road driving with their feet, watching tv and eating all at the same time. He believes the problem is with the high percentage of immigrant drivers. He said that they aren't given appropriate training, don't completely understand the English language and don't seem to have respect for anyone.

Kind of crazy because he is a US citizen by naturalization.:cool:

The American long haul trucker used to wear a cowboy hat, today he wears a turbin