WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I-40. Deadliest Highway in AZ

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I don't know if changing the speed limit would help or not. But what trips me out about this is every time I am traveling the 40 CA I have a truck driver cut me off when I am doing 70 MPH after they catch up to another semi-truck doing 55 MPH. There will be three or four vehicles with me bring up the rear and out of nowhere here comes the semi-truck changing lanes nearly causing an accident. I look in my rear-view mirror and sure enough there is no one behind me for miles and miles. WTF...is up with this?

I do everything I can to not pick up my cell phone and call in a drunk driver to the CHP. I can't figure it out. I have asked a good friend of mine who use to drive long distance and trained drivers. He basically said the new generation of truck drivers are dirt bags. He said when he was driving long distance that he would see them on the road driving with their feet, watching tv and eating all at the same time. He believes the problem is with the high percentage of immigrant drivers. He said that they aren't given appropriate training, don't completely understand the English language and don't seem to have respect for anyone.

Kind of crazy because he is a US citizen by naturalization.:cool:

Good post... I write that ticket as often as I can. They do it to us too (mostly at night). I’ve had it happen when I was in the triple digits speed wise in response to something. Makes for interesting roadside conversation.

I used to drive long haul myself for several years as a younger man... I’ve seen the industry change, big time. “Cheap Freight” is to blame, and I’ll leave it at that for you to draw your own conclusions. 95% of the truck drivers I contact these days have the same last name. The industry has gone to shit as far as the person in the seat goes.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The American long haul trucker used to wear a cowboy hat, today he wears a turbin

Or pajamas and house slippers.
The getup some of these guys wear is unreal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Good post... I write that ticket as often as I can. They do it to us too (mostly at night). I’ve had it happen when I was in the triple digits speed wise in response to something. Makes for interesting roadside conversation.

I used to drive long haul myself for several years as a younger man... I’ve seen the industry change, big time. “Cheap Freight” is to blame, and I’ll leave it at that for you to draw your own conclusions. 95% of the truck drivers I contact these days have the same last name. The industry has gone to shit as far as the person in the seat goes.
A handful of guys I used to street race with went in to law enforcement. Though none of them are in traffic anymore, I thought it gave them a sort of insight into "The other side of the badge". I actually think that is really cool that you've driven a lot of miles looking through the windshield of something other than a cruiser.

I drove cross country doing the car show thing for a while. 20 years ago, you only seemed to hear English at the truck stops. Now every driver is on a Bluetooth thing, and speaking different languages. I don't know if it's the culture or the training, but it does seem to have changed on the roads as well. The drivers used to be courteous, and appreciative of other drivers letting them in or moving over.

Waterheater

Reaction score
My Dad has been a OTR driver all his life. We had our one trucking company with about 12 trucks. Each one a different color with all the chrome you could get on them. I remember going with him when I was little and one of my favorite things was stopping at the truck stops. I'd walk around the lot and look at all the trucks and how cool they were. This is back when most of them were owner operators. Then going into the Coffee Shop and listening to all the stories. It was so cool back then. Now you walk into a truck stop and it's like walking into a 7 Eleven. Not the same anymore.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Buddy of mine towed in a broken down semi recently off the 40 being run by a team of derka derka guys. They had a hole cut in the floor board where they would drop deuces, the undercarriage of the truck was covered in high speed deuce splatter.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Well it is a race to the bottom as far as wages, etc.. so that is not surprising.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
The only problem with that is being hit by a semi-truck at speed. I would imagine the higher the speed at impact the less of a chance for survival for those hit by a 80,000 lbs semi-truck. I was hit by a semi-tuck that was doing 57 MPH while we were sitting in stop in go traffic. By the grace of god we were pushed into the right hand open lane instead of hitting the stopped semi-truck in front of us. I am sure we would be dead if the guy that hit us was traveling any faster.

What about other states? I have no data, but I would think that there are far more crashes/incidents as a result of having two different speed limits on the road than by big rigs just traveling faster and hitting things.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

gqchris

Reaction score
Buddy of mine towed in a broken down semi recently off the 40 being run by a team of derka derka guys. They had a hole cut in the floor board where they would drop deuces, the undercarriage of the truck was covered in high speed deuce splatter.

Holy Hell! Nasty fucks!!! I know they throw throw their piss canteens overboard all the time, but the floorboard deuce? Damn what disgusting people.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Prayer rugs covering a portable latrine...suddenly my hourly roadside just went up exponentially:confused: F'n hazmat suit.

BajaMike

Reaction score
It’s a click bate story. Totally untrue and fake news.

Dont spread this nonsense.