WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CA car registration question

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I live in Orange County. I am not changing the OC address on my Drivers License.

I want to register a car that is currently registered to my OC address to a Needles address so it does not have to be smogged.

If I register it to an address in Needles, my understanding is I am good, correct?

Anyone know if I can register it to a PO box in Needles and the same no smog rules would apply?

@Bigbore500r you may have some firsthand knowledge here as you have residence there.

Last edited:

milkmoney

Reaction score
Not sure. I just paid my registration renewal online. Gotta love north Dakota. Oh ya 167 bucks with personalized plates...
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm not sure about CA, but in most states you can't register to a PO Box. They want a physical address.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm not sure about CA, but in most states you can't register to a PO Box. They want a physical address.

Yea I don't think the PO box will fly. I think it can only be used as a mailing address.

Although some PO boxes appear as regular addresses - Like the DMV people are gonna do that diligence to figure it out.

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
Needles is in California, so why would it not have to be smogged? There is actually a smog testing station in Needles.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I am far from an expert but I don't think there would be any exemption from OC to Needles being they are both Ca. and Ca. DMV has a strict give me my money policy.
On a side note one of my river neighbors is a Capt. Firemen in Ca. and has registered all his vehicles to Az. and works in Ca. still and had received a letter from Ca. DMV stating that his vehicle was caught in Ca. more than Az. and he was required to register his vehicle in Ca. opposed to Az. I am unclear how this has happened or what proof they would have other than traffic cameras.
I have been reluctant to even register my boat in Az truthfully due to the horror stories of Ca. license and Az tags etc...

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not quite ready to risk the AZ registration?

If I can make it work easily I won't. But getting it registered in AZ is simple.

If I got a ticket here in CA I can easily fight it.. I have proof of storage in AZ of said car. It is not illegal to bring my AZ registered car to CA and drive it.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I live in Orange County. I am not changing the OC address on my Drivers License.

I want to register a car that is currently registered to my OC address to a Needles address so it does not have to be smogged.

If I register it to an address in Needles, my understanding is I am good, correct?

Anyone know if I can register it to a PO box in Needles and the same no smog rules would apply?

@Bigbore500r you may have some firsthand knowledge here?

Needles is still California so wouldn't the smog rules be the same?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Needles is in California, so why would it not have to be smogged? There is actually a smog testing station in Needles.

Needles only requires smog upon change of vehicle ownership.

Smog.JPG

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

milkmoney

Reaction score
Ok...why not just register it in Arizona?????

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Minimatt

Reaction score
Needles is still California so wouldn't the smog rules be the same?
Certain counties, and certain zip codes with some counties in CA only require emission testing when title is transferred. Needles zip code only requires smog certification at title transfer. I was told by a DMV employee in San Andreas (Calaveras County) about three years ago that a PO Box is ok for a mailing address, but you need to show a physical address that the vehicle is associated with.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Certain counties, and certain zip codes with some counties in CA only require emission testing when title is transferred. Needles zip code only requires smog certification at title transfer. I was told by a DMV employee in San Andreas (Calaveras County) about three years ago that a PO Box is ok for a mailing address, but you need to show a physical address that the vehicle is associated with.

Thanks, that is what I figured.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you do reg in AZ the only wrench in that plan is needing AZ insurance, but I know someone that can help with that

Correct.. Not a big deal as I know a guy for that :). The MVD said they give you 30 days to change it over. The AZ insurance works outside AZ, right?

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

This. I know a guy that just did this a few months ago.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
You can submit a change of address form and you'll basically be setting the "garaging address" for your vehicles. State that youre switching your primary residence to the needles house. Check with your insurance that the address on your policy needs to match the address on your cars title/registration. Some will deny coverage if they dont...

As far as the PO box, that aint gonna fly in CA for the garaging address, only mailing address.

Tireman

Reaction score

@Bigbore500r you may have some firsthand knowledge here?
IN AZ i tell them the car lives in xx but i am the owner and my address is.... to avoid emissions testing.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I had no idea about the rural exemption. Good info as I have a Havasu Lake (Needles) address as well. Cool!

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Just did this with one of my vehicles about a month ago. P.O. Box wont fly,they require a street address. I have a place in The Landing so it worked for me. I'll be doing the rest of my vehicles there soon.

Kyote

Semper Fi Member
Reaction score
Correct.. Not a big deal as I know a guy for that :). The MVD said they give you 30 days to change it over. The AZ insurance works outside AZ, right?
If you have a vehicle registered in AZ and drive it in CA with a CA drivers license this is what can happen: You get stopped for another infraction and the officer cites you for having your car registered in AZ with a CA drivers license or someone turns you in who sees the car in CA frequently. If you claim a homeowners exemption or have a CA drivers license you are considered a permanent resident. If the DMV refers you to the Franchise Tax Board and they take action for fees owed it can include a lien on your California real estate.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch12/ch12_3 You might not get caught but if you do it can be a bad experience. California is not alone in this. Registering a boat in AZ and representing yourself as an AZ permanent resident if, in fact, you are permanent resident of another state is fraud and carries heavy penalties. Some folks have stated that it is no problem. If you are caught it is no problem for them, only you.

Kyote

Semper Fi Member
Reaction score
If you have a vehicle registered in AZ and drive it in CA with a CA drivers license this is what can happen: You get stopped for another infraction and the officer cites you for having your car registered in AZ with a CA drivers license or someone turns you in who sees the car in CA frequently. If you claim a homeowners exemption or have a CA drivers license you are considered a permanent resident. If the DMV refers you to the Franchise Tax Board and they take action for fees owed it can include a lien on your California real estate.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch12/ch12_3 You might not get caught but if you do it can be a bad experience. California is not alone in this. Registering a boat in AZ and representing yourself as an AZ permanent resident if, in fact, you are permanent resident of another state is fraud and carries heavy penalties. Some folks have stated that it is no problem. If you are caught it is no problem for them, only you.
Here is the CHP site: https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
For Ca registration you can use a p o box in needles but that'll only be secondary to a physical ca. address.
Smog requirements vary by county and city. Physical addy is the one they use.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Registering out of state or out of county can be a big bucket of worms. See the Kyoto link above.

Why go through all the hassle? Is the car/truck un-smogable?

Ladsm

Reaction score
I dont know what any of you are talking about, Im just here in CA visiting my sick Grandma for the day before I go home to my house in AZ.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Registering out of state or out of county can be a big bucket of worms. See the Kyoto link above.

Why go through all the hassle? Is the car/truck un-smogable?

Out of county seems to be a nothing change from my research today. You just put the address where the car will be stored, and you are done. No one seems to really care about that as long as CA still gets their precious registration money.

Out of state is not really even that big of a deal for me. The car is rarely if ever driven on the street. If the car spends its time in AZ, at my house in AZ, and I "drive it into CA for use for a day or two".. that is not illegal.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
For Ca registration you can use a p o box in needles but that'll only be secondary to a physical ca. address.
Smog requirements vary by county and city. Physical addy is the one they use.

Yea the PO box wont work, but it looks like the cars physical CA address and my CA address don't have to match.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I will say this, the program (CHEATERS) is a big deal for the CHP. Especially at the offices bordering other states. Good luck and be careful.
Are you taking notes and trying to figure out who is who? :D:D:p

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I will say this, the program (CHEATERS) is a big deal for the CHP. Especially at the offices bordering other states. Good luck and be careful.

Thanks..

Removing cheaters reporting from the conversation for a minute.. The car is garaged, and gets maybe 200 street miles a year on the high side. I'm not worried about being reported via CHEATERS.

Realistically, what is there to say in a situation like this? If I get pulled over with CA license, AZ plates and insurance and you ask what the deal is. I say I have a house in AZ, the car lives there. The car is here for a couple days for some work being done. Do you just hand them a ticket for the out of state reg too (on top of whatever you pulled me over for) and let the judge sort it out?

Riverbottom

Reaction score
If you register in Az. go to the Calif. DMV in Needles or Blythe and get a commuter sticker. Looks like a boat registration sticker you put on the back by the license plate. Then you can tell them you paid Calif. to enter the State. It use to be like $ 10.00 for two years.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
If you register in Az. go to the Calif. DMV in Needles or Blythe and get a commuter sticker. Looks like a boat registration sticker you put on the back by the license plate. Then you can tell them you paid Calif. to enter the State. It use to be like $ 10.00 for two years.

This.

If your address on the DL is jn OC, and car registered in Needles, you could still get hit for the foreign reg. The commuter sticker is 23 bucks for the year. Keep it in the glove box, it’s hideous.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
This.

If your address on the DL is jn OC, and car registered in Needles, you could still get hit for the foreign reg. The commuter sticker is 23 bucks for the year. Keep it in the glove box, it’s hideous.

Wow they have gone up. Ca. must need revenue.

Kyote

Semper Fi Member
Reaction score
The commuter sticker is only good for 35 miles from the border. It is principally used for folks who are employed in CA and are residents in AZ, NV or OR. These folks would be driving a vehicle with an AZ, NV or OR drivers license and registered in their home state. If you are employed in CA you are required to have a CA drivers license unless you are a resident of AZ, NV or OR and you are employed 35 or less miles from the border and have obtained this sticker. It is not available if you own a business in CA.
Here is the rule: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch25/ch25_8