WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cop on a MC with an AR...

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Rolling to work on I5 this morning and was just south of Sacramento city limits in stop and go. In my mirror I see a cop on a motorcycle splitting lanes so I move over before he gets to me. As he passes I see an AR in a dedicated vertical AR mount on the right rear corner of the bike.

Anyone seen this before? It was a first for me and was too fast to get a picture.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Rolling to work on I5 this morning and was just south of Sacramento city limits in stop and go. In my mirror I see a cop on a motorcycle splitting lanes so I move over before he gets to me. As he passes I see an AR in a dedicated vertical AR mount on the right rear corner of the bike.

Anyone seen this before? It was a first for me and was too fast to get a picture.
SHOT show many years ago....what took them so long?

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Most of the PD's and the SO have them down here in Orange County

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Local Sheriffs Dept here has them. Been at least 4-5 years now.

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Yeah, most of them ditched the shotgun years ago. I thought most converted after the Famous North Hollywood shoot out in the late 90’s.

Tank

Reaction score
Lots of agencies have had them for a while now. Moved away from mounted shotguns. Manytimes they're inside a zippered bag. Motors are many times the first to get to high priority calls because they can split lanes and what not so the justification is they needed a bit more than a hand-gun. Simi Valley PD had Galil compact rifles in their saddle bags for YEARS.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I am totally supportive of this, just haven't seen it here in Sac. Given the political climate the need for this is greater than ever. At the same time, the PR from this is worse than ever.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Good.

I always wondered if they could get an M-4 in their saddle bags. Or maybe a collapsible stock on it??

BONER

Reaction score
Every day occurrence out here in AZ. :)

Been that way for awhile now.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
A folding AR pistol makes way more sense for compactness...

Shameless plug:
I have some Modern Outfitters/Modern Carbine AR’s and they’re fucking awesome [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EBT531

Reaction score
AZ departments have that or most have the saddle bag that houses the AR.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Governor denied it for chp as they felt it looked too intimidating. The CHP provides all of the security for the governor, maybe that decision will come back and bite him in the ass some day.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Governor denied it for chp as they felt it looked too intimidating. The CHP provides all of the security for the governor, maybe that decision will come back and bite him in the ass some day.
Good men and women seem to die young...politicians seem to live long and worthless lives:(

sirbob

Reaction score

Is that recently ?
I recall riding in a CHP car and seeing one in the rack next to the radio. I forget the brand - it wasn’t an “AR 15” but it was an “ assault rifle”.

Tank

Reaction score
Is that recently ?
I recall riding in a CHP car and seeing one in the rack next to the radio. I forget the brand - it wasn’t an “AR 15” but it was an “ assault rifle”.
Cars have them. Bikes don't. Too scary looking on a bike according to the Gov.:rolleyes:

HCP3

Reaction score

Everyday on the 91 through Anaheim.

DaveH

Reaction score
funny how conventional liberal wisdom is this are assault weapons that have no place in society but its the go to weapon of choice now by law enforcement.

jesco

Reaction score
Theres a motor OC Sheriff in RSM/South OC area that is loaded up like he's going to battle!! AR on the bike, Glocks strapped on his leg and chest, jacket on... He aint fucking around. He's like 6-5 and makes the bike look tiny.

Last edited:

chvynhra

Reaction score
Theres a motor OC Sheriff in RSM/South OC area that is loaded up like he's going to battle!! AR on the bike, Glocks strapped on his leg and chest, jacket on... He aint fucking around. He's like 6-5 and makes the bike look tiny.
Probably a taser on his chest.

77charger

Reaction score
See them all the time I know Anaheim pd has on bikes I complimented one he smiled and said he can strategically take out a scumbag from a safe distance with a smile. Said good for him to have the firepower.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
02B8A0ED-B80B-4E63-BD85-BDC65F3EDBFC.jpeg
Pretty common but very stupid at the same time. Motor units never response to a real code. Only traffic violations. So basically they have to break Dept procedure to show up to help and thus need that m4

10.3” m4s are pretty short like smg short

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I saw the same thing in Fresno the other day

KNOTONDUTY

Reaction score
View attachment 790869 Pretty common but very stupid at the same time. Motor units never response to a real code. Only traffic violations. So basically they have to break Dept procedure to show up to help and thus need that m4

We responded to all priority calls, not just traffic. We can get through traffic a lot after than a crown Vic can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Of the 350 LAPD motors, about half carry 870’s with collapsing stocks or their own AR’s. Great tool to have

LowRiver2

Reaction score
View attachment 790869 Pretty common but very stupid at the same time. Motor units never response to a real code. Only traffic violations. So basically they have to break Dept procedure to show up to help and thus need that m4

I guess you’ve never been in LA
We have back up/Officer needs help calls about one an hour over our 465 square mile jurisdiction.
Plenty of our motors have been “in the mix” with long guns and were greatly appreciated.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

Probably not an AR-15...likely an M4.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I guess you’ve never been in LA
We have back up/Officer needs help calls about one an hour over our 465 square mile jurisdiction.
Plenty of our motors have been “in the mix” with long guns and were greatly appreciated.

Lol SD lols at your puny AO

But sure if he is the only one there. Not gonna let a fellow officer hang out to dry but most Depts it needs to be a high priority for them to risk going into the operation. Car chases on motors are bad juju

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Lol SD lols at your puny AO

But sure if he is the only one there. Not gonna let a fellow officer hang out to dry but most Depts it needs to be a high priority for them to risk going into the operation. Car chases on motors are bad juju

4.2 million in that area
And SD has?

Crickets

It’s LA
Anyone with a badge can be in a shitstorm quickly
Bad guys don’t care about what vehicle you drive lol

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Cops should have the best weapons on the most nimble machine ... great combo IMO.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Okay
And their pop is spread out to a density of of 1/4 of what ours is per square mile
LASD is a contract dept.
They have motors when a contract asks for them and are very narrowly used as far as missions

Look up LAPD Motor stirke forces
We engage ours in a lot of stuff beyond revenue
Your point now?

Backlash

Reaction score
BM, you prolly dont want to continue to argue with LR2. I'm pretty sure he has an idea of what's going on in the LE community. Just saying. :rolleyes:

Cdog

Reaction score
funny how conventional liberal wisdom is this are assault weapons that have no place in society but its the go to weapon of choice now by law enforcement.

Yeah! You see all these clowns like dirty uncle joe saying all u need is a shotgun.

Sure dick! Meanwhile his safety detail is rolling with Sbr ebr’s & sub guns.

You’ve got to wonder whos actually getting fooled by these pricks?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
BM, you prolly dont want to continue to argue with LR2. I'm pretty sure he has an idea of what's going on in the LE community. Just saying. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure BM runs in the same crowd;)

Okay
And their pop is spread out to a density of of 1/4 of what ours is per square mile
LASD is a contract dept.
They have motors when a contract asks for them and are very narrowly used as far as missions

Look up LAPD Motor stirke forces
We engage ours in a lot of stuff beyond revenue
Your point now?

No idea which SD he is referring too, but their rules of engagement between all departments vary greatly. LAPD is surrounded closely by LASD, but San Bernadino and Riverside are also two very large Sheriff Departments with the L.A. Basin for the purpose of this discussion, and all three have different rules of engagement... Hell, San Berdo let's their Aero Observers fire rounds at cars during pursuits:D

I'm all for arming every cop to teeth... But you lose me in regards to sending Motor Cops into hot calls. I get the ability to cut through traffic and don't deny they can "get" there pretty quick. But tactically speaking I'll take a Explorer or Crown vic 24/7 over Bike for numerous reasons. If all you want is a long gun set at long gun distance then that makes sense. Other then that, I'm not sure having a motor cop roll up to a man with a gun call is all that smart, unless he is only the back up guy behind the big blocks of metal on 4 wheels I like to refer to as concealment.

But hey, I just a tactical meter maid, so what do I know.:D

LowRiver2

Reaction score

No idea which SD he is referring too, but their rules of engagement between all departments vary greatly. LAPD is surrounded closely by LASD, but San Bernadino and Riverside are also two very large Sheriff Departments with the L.A. Basin for the purpose of this discussion, and all three have different rules of engagement... Hell, San Berdo let's their Aero Observers fire rounds at cars during pursuits:D

I'm all for arming every cop to teeth... But you lose me in regards to sending Motor Cops into hot calls. I get the ability to cut through traffic and don't deny they can "get" there pretty quick. But tactically speaking I'll take a Explorer or Crown vic 24/7 over Bike for numerous reasons. If all you want is a long gun set at long gun distance then that makes sense. Other then that, I'm not sure having a motor cop roll up to a man with a gun call is all that smart, unless he is only the back up guy behind the big blocks of metal on 4 wheels I like to refer to as concealment.

With 150-200 motors deployed Mon-Friday, the odds a motor either beats a primary unit or rides into a gunfight/robbery in progress rise quickly.

No don’t send a motor as a designated primary but ours have no problem jumping in the mix when needed

Two of them are fellow Bomb Techs now, they saw the light lol

A lot better driving into the city from Santa Clarita in December in a GMC 2500 than a BMW two wheeler with heated handgrips, just sayin’ ha ha!

USClb41

Reaction score

Agreed, I would much rather take cover behind a unit than a motor, but if I roll into a hot call of an active shooter on a school campus I sure as hell would rather take a shot with an AR vs a shotgun. Motors are going to respond to these calls just like any other copper will

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Agreed, I would much rather take cover behind a unit than a motor, but if I roll into a hot call of an active shooter on a school campus I sure as hell would rather take a shot with an AR vs a shotgun. Motors are going to respond to these calls just like any other copper will
Agreed. No issue on my end having every motor equipped with a rifle.