WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What home audio system?

Wbinder

Reaction score
Not theater system as we never watch movies or tv and always have music playing. We’re looking for a good system to fill up our living room. Anyone have suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BingerFang

Reaction score
Bose sound touch line is top notch. We have one in the garage, one in the living room and one outback by the pool. Link them all up on the app and rock the house!!!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We love the Yamaha bluetooth surround system. Built in dual subwoofers.
On sale usually about $100 to $119 at COSTCO.
Talks to everything, laptops, iphones, pads, Rockford Fosgates, the TVs, though you mention you don't need that.
Sounds amazing. Hang it on the wall.
We like it so much we bought several.
imageService

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I’m seriously into loud music. Hate surround sound, never watch movies. I installed several 8” in ceiling speakers and I’m running them off Sonos amps so I can use the Sonos app which is legit. Let me say this, Sonos speakers suck ass. Their amps and app are amazing. Their sub and sound bar are pretty good. The in-ceiling speakers I got are made by a company called vanguard, they are wired not WiFi and they pound.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Emotiva is hard to beat for the $$$ and a good notch above most "consumer line" audio while being priced right. Check em out

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
4 18’s do the trick?

Denon 1600 watts on the mids/highs
Peavey 7500 watts on the subs

Neighbor loves it , sets off car alarms in the street

Attachments

• 2F8E36D8-5A01-409C-B48B-9D49BED4929C.jpeg
    2F8E36D8-5A01-409C-B48B-9D49BED4929C.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 65F98D6C-9838-4F25-89D5-0F9A28553193.jpeg
    65F98D6C-9838-4F25-89D5-0F9A28553193.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 205

Daudioexpert

Reaction score
Sonos great for all around.
Can be expanded through the house .
I’m a dealer for it and never have any complaints.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
4 18’s do the trick?

That’s cool. I wanted cerwin Vega towers with 12’s in the living room but the wife wasn’t having it.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
4 18’s do the trick?

That's badass. I built four ported 15's tuned around 32hz. bolted to the floor fed 4,000rms in my last house. It was a good time

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I see alot of sonos systems in my customers homes. They must be pretty solid.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I have also been looking at something for the house. I am thinking more of a whole house system. I am not brand oriented and one of my main goals is to hide as much of it as possible. My objective would be to hear and appreciate it, not see the nameplate and expect to be appreciated. I am looking at tying in outdoors also.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions here but I have a few questions.

What’s your budget? Are you just looking for a living room system or the entire house? Do you want to do a traditional AVR and speakers or would you want to go with a sound bar?

I saw a few folks mention Sonos and Bose. Personally I think the sound quality from the Sonos stuff is complete trash and it’s over priced. Bose sound quality is decent but their stuff is proprietary, so is Sonos so if you ever want to upgrade or make changes to your setup you are stuck with that brand.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
After having in-ceiling speakers installed, I like the invisibility and lack of clutter/speakers everywhere. Subs are easy, you can hide them almost anywhere.

IMG_2353.jpg

That’s a 75” TV for scale.

In-ceiling Atmos isn’t ideal when all of the other speakers are also in the ceiling, but it’s a trade-off I’m happy to make.

All Origin Acoustics, D89 (8”) center, the rest are D69 (6”), and an older (when they were decent) Energy 10” 400w sub. Whenever I start thinking about a new sub, I’ll throw a good bass-heavy movie on and think “why bother?”...

I think Origin is overpriced but I got a good price on them (dealer pricing is insane so discounts can be heavy) and the sound quality is excellent in my room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
That's badass. I built four ported 15's tuned around 32hz. bolted to the floor fed 4,000rms in my last house. It was a good time

Thanks, I did everything in wall with the exception of the subs.

Works great for that “IMAX” experience at low volume too

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I have Sonos throughout my house with the playbase under the TV with the sub. Even have a few tucked under the eves outside in the backyard. I have zero complaints and the sound is great.

satellitemike

Reaction score

Icky

Reaction score
Marantz 6013 in the house, set up for 5.1 with our tv, blueray, ps4 and cable routed through it. Push a button and it switches to stereo for music. It's also is running my patio on zone 2, which (once I finish installing everything) has 6 more martin logan speakers and another tv.
Heos built in for future expansion if needed

Spot

Reaction score
Does Bose have an app that is equivalent to the Sonos app?

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Anyone notice a difference between 5 channel and 7 channel

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score

You need to have a very big room if you want to run a 7 channel setup and get the most out of it.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
After having in-ceiling speakers installed, I like the invisibility and lack of clutter/speakers everywhere. Subs are easy, you can hide them almost anywhere.

View attachment 790736

That’s a 75” TV for scale.

In-ceiling Atmos isn’t ideal when all of the other speakers are also in the ceiling, but it’s a trade-off I’m happy to make.

All Origin Acoustics, D89 (8”) center, the rest are D69 (6”), and an older (when they were decent) Energy 10” 400w sub. Whenever I start thinking about a new sub, I’ll throw a good bass-heavy movie on and think “why bother?”...

I think Origin is overpriced but I got a good price on them (dealer pricing is insane so discounts can be heavy) and the sound quality is excellent in my room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks good! I dig the Adobe. My whole house is raw unfinished adobe inside...works pretty decent for good audio (well, compared to sheetrock) and keeps the sound in the room you want it in.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score

Depends on if what you are watching support 7 and up. I ended up doing a 5.2 as we listen to a lot of music too. My receiver supports up to 9.1 but never felt the need

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score

Yes they do. I believe it’s called Bose Soundtouch. Pretty much every manufacturer now has an App but some are better than others.

I have a ton of playfi stuff in my house which I chose over Sonos because I wasn’t stuck with one brand. The playfi is nice but the app is pretty crappy compared to Bose and Sonos.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I pieced together a "budget" setup about 3 years ago. I bought a last year model Denon 7.2 receiver, and did a lot of research on speakers. After tons of reading, I totally cheaped out and went with what lots of people said were hard to beat, bang for the buck wise. I went with the higher end Monoprice stuff. In the end, I have far less than 1K in the whole setup (I think more like 5-600$), and it sounds damn good. About the only complaint I have is occasionally some dialogue is weak on the center channel (like yellowstone), but other than that it sounds really good.

I was going to go with the big highest end vizio 54" soundbar stuff. A friend of mine did, and I gotta say, for about the same cost in the end, mine far surpasses his.

I did end up swapping my "7 channel" zone for a separate outside zone. I had it setup as 7.2 in the living room, but ended up just going back to 5.1/2 and dedicating the 2 other channels to outdoor speakers. I really couldnt tell a huge difference between 7.1 and 5.1 in my particular setup.

Edit: Also...I REALLY didnt notice the value in 7.1 for music. Slight differences in certain movies...but definitely not music. If music is your thing, Id much rather go for 5.2 over 7.x.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Also, if you just want music go with a set of these and a decent receiver. I have a set of these in my living room and honestly I don’t even need my subwoofer, these things absolutely pound and I don’t think you can get more bang for your buck anywhere else. I must warn you though they’re friggen huge, the TV is 75” so it should give you a good idea as to just how big the speakers are.

BIC America Venturi DV84 2-Way Tower Speaker, Black (Single) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00012F7CI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fFeyDbYK48ETC

IMG_0105.JPG

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Front, Rear, Center Channel and sub are all Polk Audio. Receiver is 7.2 Yamaha Aventage. Out door are Earthquake.

IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I have Polk TSi towers and center channel, with a matching 10” sub. 6 Monoprice 6” in ceiling speakers for surrounds. Currently running 7.1 with an older Onkyo receiver, at some point when i decide to upgrade I’ll go to 9.1 and play with Dolby atmos. Sounds fantastic and I’m only in for about a grand for my speakers.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I still like these....or their little brothers. Don’t need huge amps, and you can rock the whole street if the Iron Butterfly stop by.

07C4E74D-6747-4C6B-898E-6B2D89946D78.jpeg

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
The mentality amongst the RDP inmates appears to be...no such thing as a boat too loud, a truck too big, a car too fast, a UTV too tricked out, a pool too extreme, or too many CC's in the ta ta's! ...and I concur. Like almost everything "how much money do you want to spend". More importantly what are your goals? Are you single, hangout in the kitchen and want to blast as loud as you can? Is it mostly a family environment where you're looking for sound all around? Some amazing systems posted thus far. Many moons ago I went overboard at Best Buy one afternoon and could shake the decorations off the shelves. However I had to be at volume 10 in one room to get volume 4 on the other side of the house. Back then it worked perfectly as the parties were isolated. Now as the beard turns gray, I went with a different strategy - more speakers playing at a lower volume. We don't have to scream at each other in the kitchen to get nice sound in the bedroom. I have 11 Sonos Play1's spread (some hidden) all over the house. At full volume I cant see how anyone might want something louder. They do not distort, and I can set different rooms at different volumes. The Sonos sub has some power. A few have stated Sonos are no good. I am not an audiophile so to those who are perhaps they leave something to be desired. I have 3 Sonos Amps I could hook up to the ceiling speakers already installed in the house when I got here ( no idea how good they are) but 4 months in I have yet to do so as I really don't need it. Hit Best Buy, get enough to cover your square footage, ($150.00 per speaker [skip the Alexa]) and give them a try. If not return them.

Ricks raft

Reaction score

Also Yamaha "musicast" . Works on their A/V receivers, soundbars, small streaming amps, portable speakers. So whole house can be used independently or tied together with any of the devices used as source. And it's Yamaha so they know a little something about audio.