WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bye Bye houseboat....

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I don't understand filming something like this. Maybe it is a generational difference, maybe a level of respect, or maybe it just doesn't even cross my mind as I am in the moment not trying to record the moment.

Help or get out of the way.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
This is my backyard. We had a crew there doing some underground work today. Story is this isn't the first time he's done that

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Looks a little top heavy to begin with. I guess the boat was a card stop on a poker run and was overloaded with peeps.

68546493_10156838150988040_7031887887721299968_n.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That is a really nice setup, but I can see it being more than a little top-heavy. Didn't see it was a triple before.

nrbr

Reaction score
They should be offered to tow it and not taken any money, but tell everyone they didnt take any money

oldschool

Reaction score
I’ve seen that houseboat a few times, it is bad ass. But I did think it looked really top heavy, apparently I was right. I’ve done the Don Pedro poker run several times, always a blast. What a bummer deal, hate to see shit like this.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I really hope everyone got out. I wouldn't be filming... Scary...

Solar panels on the roof thing was set up nice. Damn. It's gonna take me a minute to stop thinking about that. Hope everyone is safe.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I don't understand filming something like this. Maybe it is a generational difference, maybe a level of respect, or maybe it just doesn't even cross my mind as I am in the moment not trying to record the moment.

Help or get out of the way.

Because the captain had a lapse in judgment, and allowed to, two, too many bikini clad females on board, and overturned his craft, it's my responsibility to endanger my, and my families, life? Maybe I should have just held the boat up? I normally travel with a crane, but my crane does not float. Apparently it's now my fault for being unprepared?

Help or get out of the way?
I will let the professionals handle the situation at hand.

What is one to do, to help? And look how close to shore the overturned vessel is.

I'd just stand back and roll video.

Dan'l

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Because the captain had a lapse in judgment, and allowed to, two, too many bikini clad females on board, and overturned his craft, it's my responsibility to endanger my, and my families, life? Maybe I should have just held the boat up? I normally travel with a crane, but my crane does not float. Apparently it's now my fault for being unprepared?

Help or get out of the way?
I will let the professionals handle the situation at hand.

What is one to do, to help? And look how close to shore the overturned vessel is.

I'd just stand back and roll video.

Dan'l

Professionals at powell usually take awhile to get there...

rrrr

Reaction score
The owner found out what the metacentric height is and why it matters in boats and ships. :D

rightytighty

Reaction score
Article I read said this was his second house boat. First one didn’t float (Doh!).

This one made it 2 years before it turned turtle. There’s a reason icebergs have twice as much mass under the water as above.

Feel bad for the guy but damm...”Here’s my dream.... A floating high rise building. I’ll be the first one on the docks...” (and last)...

outboard_256

Reaction score
Right? Push that barge closer up on the beach... just stupid to let that happen.

haha I would have been for sure filming anyone trying to stop that boat from falling over. You know what's worse than filming? Having a bunch of know it alls "trying" to help in a dangerous situation making it worse. Everyone is off the boat and away from the boat in the video anyone running towards it or trying to hook a boat to it is now making the situation 10 times more dangerous. Sucks losing a boat but you get the people safe and just let it sink. Film if you want once everyone is accounted for.

Dana757

Reaction score
Maybe if they attached another compete pontoon boat to each side like outriggers it would be stable enough ..... and have more dick space.

Pelon

Reaction score
They also had it parked parallel to the shore, with all the weight transferred to the deep water side.

oldschool

Reaction score
They also had it parked parallel to the shore, with all the weight transferred to the deep water side.
Did they really?
The times I've done this poker run, some houseboats/card stops get crazy busy. Overloading the back of the boat is one thing, overloading the side is a whole different deal(obviously).

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
haha I would have been for sure filming anyone trying to stop that boat from falling over. You know what's worse than filming? Having a bunch of know it alls "trying" to help in a dangerous situation making it worse. Everyone is off the boat and away from the boat in the video anyone running towards it or trying to hook a boat to it is now making the situation 10 times more dangerous. Sucks losing a boat but you get the people safe and just let it sink. Film if you want once everyone is accounted for.
In video you can hear them say and confirm "everybody is off, right".
Would have been a ton of hysteria if people were still stuck in it.

outboard_256

Reaction score
In video you can hear them say and confirm "everybody is off, right".
Would have been a ton of hysteria if people were still stuck in it.

ya but people in here are saying instead of filming the camera person should have been trying to help save the boat. There was no saving that boat from sinking ever one it started listing, just get everyone off and watch it go down.

bocco

Reaction score
Maybe if they attached another compete pontoon boat to each side like outriggers it would be stable enough ..... and have more dick space.

The last thing that boat needs is more dick.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
ya but people in here are saying instead of filming the camera person should have been trying to help save the boat. There was no saving that boat from sinking ever one it started listing, just get everyone off and watch it go down.
You'd have to be cape and tights wearing bad ass.:D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've been on houseboats when the unpredicted winds come up. A top heavy HB would have no chance.
Everything is against you to begin with, then you add wind,, you're F'd.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Didn’t know they made stepped toons. Bet that is/was extra fast, before it ended up as “cartoon.”

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Kinda off topic but how do you find out about poker runs around the area like this? Never knew they did them at Pedro and would be interested in doing it.

Last edited:

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Hope someone posts thread documenting the salvage process of this thing with photos and videos. I’m super interested in seeing what repairs are made and how they right this thing and the cleanup afterwards.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Nice to have the money to go the trial and error route. Too much ballast, not enough ballast:rolleyes:

I believe if I was going for No 3, my first step would be to hire an experienced and talented marine engineer ;)

Having worked with supplying products to the marine industry, I've seen several design mistakes trying to build faster and more productive offshore supply boats. Narrow beamed tall superstructural designs that went keel up on maiden voyages. You'll have some disaster prone learning curves unfortunatelyo_O

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Hope someone posts thread documenting the salvage process of this thing with photos and videos. I’m super interested in seeing what repairs are made and how they right this thing and the cleanup afterwards.
Getting it out ain't gonna be that big of a deal. And all the electrical is gone and the hull design will be shit canned. I'd say scrap value at best

rvrrun

Reaction score
...and if you do film instead of helping, don't hold the damn phone vertically like the bozo in the ski boat

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Those floats look more like they are made for a dock, thank for pontoons.

Sent using Tapatalk

bocco

Reaction score
Didn’t know they made stepped toons. Bet that is/was extra fast, before it ended up as “cartoon.”
Likely those steps were added after first float and it sat to low in the water. I don't think any of that boat was built in a factory. Those pontoons are typically just fabricated based on the estimated weight of the boat. The typical problem is that after the pontoons and the platform are built then the owners start going overboard with granite and extra heavy appliances. One boat had a pizza oven on the roof. It got hauled out after a couple of weeks and they added about 10" to the pontoons right in the Fleming Meadows parking lot.

robert1050

Reaction score
I read the linked article, the owner is an almond farmer. Thats one of the problems right there. Someone who wants to grow one of the most water demanding crops in a desert environment, in the midst a drought area, really doesn't think things through real well......

bocco

Reaction score
Getting it out ain't gonna be that big of a deal. And all the electrical is gone and the hull design will be shit canned. I'd say scrap value at best

I think a lot of that boat is salvagable if they use some common sense when they rebuild it. There is probably a lot of steel framework that can be re used.

bocco

Reaction score
Here's the boat we had going back in the water after a haul out. Notice the pontoons. Deep and wide.

HB004.jpg
HB006.jpg

BajaMike

Reaction score
And that houseboat had only one engine? Pretty hard to maneuver that with just one engine.

4Waters

Reaction score
I read the linked article, the owner is an almond farmer. Thats one of the problems right there. Someone who wants to grow one of the most water demanding crops in a desert environment, in the midst a drought area, really doesn't think things through real well......
So he's a nut farmer, from past experience nut farmers aren't the brightest light bulb in the house. :D