WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SOB!!! Bad accident friends involved

4Waters

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about a boat fire at Buena Vista Lake today, the victim's (2 families) are friends of mine, I coached their older kids last year in football (9yo) and they have a 1yo son and a 6yo son as well because both families are involved I can't get much info except 2 were airlifted and all were burned. Keep them in your prayers.

Kbach

Reaction score
My wife was just asking me about it 5 minut s ago, sounds like its one of the kiddos and their family at our daughters school. She heard four of them were burned but that's all the info I have. Thoughts and prayers go out to them all.

Edit - Just read the article and sounds like more of them were burned. So sad.

4Waters

Reaction score
My wife was just asking me about it 5 minut s ago, sounds like its one of the kiddos and their family at our daughters school. She heard four of them were burnt but that's all the info I have. Thoughts and prayers go out to them all.
Yes Dylan does go to your kids school they are the ones that have the 1yo

Kbach

Reaction score
Yes Dylan does go to your kids school they are the ones that have the 1yo

Ya, just asked our girls and they said Dylan is in their class this year. They said a nice prayer for him and are hoping for the best for the family.

rrrr

Reaction score
Dammit. Burns are horrible. I hate to think of those little ones in pain.

I don't want to sound callous right after the incident, but for chrissakes use your bilge blower and visually check under the hatch after fueling and before turning the key.

4Waters

Reaction score
Dammit. Burns are horrible. I hate to think of those little ones in pain.

I don't want to sound callous right after the incident, but for chrissakes use your bilge blower and visually check under the hatch after fueling and before turning the key.
If it's the boat I'm thinking of it's an O/B

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about a boat fire at Buena Vista Lake today, the victim's (2 families) are friends of mine, I coached their older kids last year in football (9yo) and they have a 1yo son and a 6yo son as well because both families are involved I can't get much info except 2 were airlifted and all were burned. Keep them in your prayers.

Sad to hear this. Prayers for all involved.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear . Our thoughts are with you and those also involved . If you need any thing let us know .

4Waters

Reaction score
Ya, just asked our girls and they said Dylan is in their class this year. They said a nice prayer for him and are hoping for the best for the family.
Thanks for the prayers, we all left the Bulldogs this year and are now playing for Grace Brethren Church youth football team we already have people working on a full team (all age groups 6-13) prayer tomorrow night after practice.

4Waters

Reaction score
So it turns out the 3 most severe are Dylan's mom, dad and 1yo brother :( the baby is scheduled for surgery tomorrow. Mom and baby were the ones flown out.

4Waters

Reaction score
No one named Dylan on that GoFundMe page
Dylan (9yo) has minor injuries and is at a different hospital.

Edit: sorry I just saw that's the Nixon family, dad has been released the other 3 are still being treated.

4Waters

Reaction score
Some reports say that the boat was done fueling running and had already pulled away from the dock when fuel around the boat on the water ignited and flashed. There could have been a problem on the fuel dock and they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sad situation.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sad to read. My thoughts and prayers are with those families.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Omg how horrible, poor kids hope everyone ends up ok in the end but burns are the scariest imho

4Waters

Reaction score
Dylan is going to require surgery. Landen (9) (Nixon family) has been removed from the breathing tube (IDK if that's good or bad), his little brother Teagen (6) is still in really bad shape I haven't heard how their mom is doing. Both families hospital stays will be 3-4 weeks. I am definitely hurt and mad right now. It appears they were in their new to them boat. Please keep the Lee and Nixon families in your prayers.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
That's horrible news to read. Prayers sent for all involved.

Kbach

Reaction score
Dylan is going to require surgery. Landen (9) (Nixon family) has been removed from the breathing tube (IDK if that's good or bad), his little brother Teagen (6) is still in really bad shape I haven't heard how their mom is doing. Both families hospital stays will be 3-4 weeks. I am definitely hurt and mad right now. It appears they were in their new to them boat. Please keep the Lee and Nixon families in your prayers.

Thanks so much for all of the updates.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Positive thoughts for all involved... Later on, I'd really like to know how this happened to an outboard?? Previously spilled gas on the water surface?? Gas dock leak??.. Bad circumstance regardless of the cause.. As said, "wrong place wrong time"... Please let us hear all are going to fully recover...
Ray

rrrr

Reaction score
I hope all of those injured are receiving the positive encouragement and prayers that my thoughts and energies are directing to them. Heal quickly, little ones. I'm praying the pain they are experiencing will subside.

4Waters

Reaction score
Landen woke up from his coma this morning and that is why they removed the breathing tube, he has since facetimed with his mom who was transported to the Grossmen Burn Center at Westhills Hospital yesterday, she has a small burn on her face but she has burns on her chest arms and legs, Teagen is still in a coma. Dylan was also transported to the Grossmen Burn Center late last night and has pretty bad burns on his face chest and arms, his little brother Dominic was burned the worst, the facility he is at has an infant hyperbaric chamber that Grossmen does not have so he will remain there. My wife texted briefly with Dylan's mom Katie which was a relief that she is feeling well enough to text, Dylan's dad was also burned really bad and that is all I know at this time. When I got off work today a ran over the Westhills and visited with Dylan and Britney for a little bit, both seem to be in good spirits but very uncomfortable. As far as what happened Britney said they had already started the boat I/O thrown the ropes and were several seconds away from the fuel dock when everything around them erupted in flames no explosion, it was like everything outside the boat caught fire first and then it came in on them.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Landen woke up from his coma this morning and that is why they removed the breathing tube, he has since facetimed with his mom who was transported to the Grossmen Burn Center at Westhills Hospital yesterday, she has a small burn on her face but she has burns on her chest arms and legs, Teagen is still in a coma. Dylan was also transported to the Grossmen Burn Center late last night and has pretty bad burns on his face chest and arms, his little brother Dominic was burned the worst, the facility he is at has an infant hyperbaric chamber that Grossmen does not have so he will remain there. My wife texted briefly with Dylan's mom Katie which was a relief that she is feeling well enough to text, Dylan's dad was also burned really bad and that is all I know at this time. When I got off work today a ran over the Westhills and visited with Dylan and Britney for a little bit, both seem to be in good spirits but very uncomfortable. As far as what happened Britney said they had already started the boat I/O thrown the ropes and were several seconds away from the fuel dock when everything around them erupted in flames no explosion, it was like everything outside the boat caught fire first and then it came in on them.
Man that is scary. What a crazy accident

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score

wow, sending lots of positive thoughts their way. That poor baby... please keep us posted.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
This is so sad:(
It sounds like this was a pump related leak issue not an issue on the boat

4Waters

Reaction score
I don't know the involved at all, but pray things go well. As a parent, I can tell you no matter the injuries mom and dad have, they are more worried and scared for their kids.
You got that right.

milkmoney

Reaction score
My thoughts with all the family members.

Horrible to read. Sure puts a lump in my throat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Damn that’s crazy, sorry to read this. Prayers for all

rrrr

Reaction score
This is so sad:(
It sounds like this was a pump related leak issue not an issue on the boat

More likely the fuel tank vent on the boat. It might have been improperly plumbed, and allowed fuel overboard. It was a new to them boat, maybe the first time they fueled it and they didn't notice the defect.

News stories say the dock and store were undamaged, that indicates the pump wasn't to blame.

This is just stupid speculation by me, I'm trying to imagine what could have happened.

This is terrible.

Last edited:

Deckin Around

Reaction score
More likely the fuel tank vent on the boat. It might have been improperly plumbed, and allowed fuel overboard. It was a new to them boat, maybe the first time they fueled it and they didn't notice the defect.

News stories say the dock and store were undamaged, that indicates the pump wasn't to blame. This is just stupid speculation, I'm trying to imagine what could have happened.

This is terrible.
Very true. It seems like every boat I've ever filled comes out the vent before it hits the gas pump nozzle auto shut off. I've seen hundreds of guys wiping down the sides of their boats at gas stations after fillup. If it's an older pump handle that will just stay flowing even when fuel is back flowing passed it, that is a total possibility

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Awful situation. Hate these type of accidents as they almost always involve bad injuries or death. Can't ever take fueling safety for granted.....

Prayers for all.......

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
So unbelievably tragic. Hope the bottom line cause is soon found to prevent any reoccurrence. Fuel source, ignition source etc. Doesn’t sound like the typical under the hatch flash and burn. Assume professional investigators have already looked at all of that. Hope they publish their findings soon. Prayers for all the victims.

brgrcru

Reaction score
prayers in full force to the families. involved . very sad.

well I'm sure going to pay attention , a lot more when gassing up , on the water. in an instant life changes.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Prayers to all for quick and complete recoveries. :oops:
If the fire started outside of boat but then flashed to the interior leads me to believe there had to have been heavier than air fumes inside(remnant from refueling?). If fuel was just in the water it should not have flashed inside and what even ignited it to begin with, exhaust?
Perhaps just a horrific accident, as stated wrong place wrong time. Very saddened:(

4Waters

Reaction score
Dad and baby Dominic surgeries went well and Dylan and Britney's did as well, here is a pic of Dominic and I believe moms legs (not Graphic, just heartbreaking)
IMG5653222760673172197_28103459503191.jpg

Here is the boat after the fire.

download_47002766284756.png

Last edited: