WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Don't Fill-Up with Regular 88

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any gas stations with a pump for "Regular 88" fuel but I guess more are popping up around the country. And, because it is usually the lowest priced fuel (about 5 to 10 cents a gallon less than 87 octane regular), it's a temptation to fill-up your boat on the way to the lake. What's not being told at the pump is that "Regular 88" very likely contains 15 percent ethanol (E-15) and is definitely not good for your boat engine. Maybe paying the extra few cents will prevent costly repairs down the road.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Fed regulations require ethanol content displayed at every pump.
Think the last 87 I looked at said "can contain up tp 13% ethanol". Can't say I've seen an 88 pump before. At least my car is flexfuel compatible.
It's more likely people simply don't pay attention.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is already being reported that the required at-the-pump warning about "Regular 88" fuel is absent in over 50% of the locations.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is already being reported that the required at-the-pump warning about "Regular 88" fuel is absent in over 50% of the locations.
No yellow handles and/or ethanol warning?
Seen a couple immigrants filling up their old corollas with e85. Must work just fine:)