WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Employees Suck!!!

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Hire good people you say? Well, he was good for 3 years and quit without notice on Friday.
Rant over.......Happy Monday!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::D

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
If everything was so great, why would he leave at the drop of a hat after 3 years in?

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
You think you pissed now???
Wait till you are served papers and he sues you for wage and hourly shit.. He didnt get his 10 minute breaks or 1/2 hour for luch. All busllshit among other things.
Another legal extortion plan from our wonderful attorneys.
My rant over :)

Hire good people you say? Well, he was good for 3 years and quit without notice on Friday.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I’ve both seen it and heard examples of it.
Honest question.
When was the last time you gave him a raise?

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I have only walked out on 1 job in my life. Working in the construction industry driving end dumps and lowbeds in San Diego.

One year we got pounded by rain. I would guess 02 maybe. Ended up being 3 solid weeks with no work do to wet construction sites. I was so bad off I filed for unemployment after the first week. By week 3 I was flat broke and desperate for a stable job. Called and said I couldn't do it anymore. They were pissed I gave them no notice even though I hadn't worked in 3 weeks.

They then tried to file a complaint about my 2 weeks of unemployment and took me to court. I won and have no regrets with the way I left after that move.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

If an employer fires someone on the spot, they often two-weeks’ pay.

If an employee quits on the spot, they should give you 2-weeks’ pay [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
yeah i had a kid just not show up one day to job site on a show that we were counting on him for. he called me a couple years later and apologized and wanted to know if he could get his job back

River Runnin

Reaction score
Maybe you trained him enough that he knows it all and gonna start his own biz! :)

Your ad here

Reaction score
Maybe he won the lotto? :D

People leave jobs for two reasons. Poor supervisors or poor pay. I left my last job for the first reason.
There are more reasons. One of them being California or internal BS making employees unhappy. Last job I got a bait and switch on a project and was always fighting to get my reimbursements.

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
Wait till you are served papers and he sues you for wage and hourly shit.. He didnt get his 10 minute breaks or 1/2 hour for luch. All busllshit among other things.

This ⬆️ I have worked as hard as I could to climb the ladder, now I see this stuff and it makes me so made because I know they took all the breaks +!

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Strange as we had a new hire no-show today. Wouldn't even return calls nor text.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
He’s only there for money
That’s it . Bottom line

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Whats the average paying wage in your area?
Are you paying......... 2 dollars per hour more? Or higher? Somebody is.
Pay more and they will most likely stay.
worth it in the long run.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
If he is a good employee, most likely got poached. Happens all the time in construction

Reaction score
We don't give raises, we give a "bonus" semi annual. Everybody seems good with it. My best employees can't manage their own income, and fall into debt quickly. Those semi-annual bonus checks clean-up their financial mess, and get them on track.

It also makes any company offering a sign on bonus from sweeping them away.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
This is one of the highest employment rates in US history. Wages have been stagnant for lower level employees for decades.
As in everything in life, You get what you pay for.
Not being a jerk, but maybe as an Employer one could call to find out how the Employer was not being a good Employer. Otherwise expect people to just leave and snivel about it on a public forum.
I have some really good stories about both sides.
Good luck in this economy finding a decent replacement, training them and recouping the loss for the same price as the guy who left.

cofooter

Reaction score
I'd have a hard time leaving in my line of work w/o two weeks notice, its the professional thing to do, but would not hesitate for a second to put in notice if the job was not meeting my needs, they have zero issue of showing you the door on their terms.

Dalton

Reaction score
i was working internationally for a large construction company, we got a 40% pay cut overnight, and then all of a sudden they wanted a 1 month notice, where was our 1 month notice? There are for sure at least 1 or 2 crappy employees on every job, but generalizing all employees as sucking, that's toxic management

jet496

Reaction score
Or better yet if he pissed you off or fucked something up and you were going to fire him..you going to give him a two week notice? Probably not!!
I give them at least 2 weeks pay, whether they deserve it or not, & let them go right away so they don't talk shit with other employees or customers.

Also, you better hand them a check when you do it. That's a California thing. You can't fire anybody on the spot, even if they hit somebody or are snorting coke in front of you, without giving them a check immediately upon leaving. That's why we simply tell them to take a day or two off & that gives us a chance to calculate what we owe them, think of severance pay, etc.

That being said they are necessary if you want to have a business of worth.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Just about any job I've given a 2 week notice on, I've been told I have 24hr to get my shit and get out and to turn in my keys immediately. I've been an independant for my entire professional career so I guess there are some pros and cons there as far as that goes.... but in a general work enviroment where any employee is expecting to get shafted by doing the right thing, on most accounts they won't. It's the product of the work enviroment of today and both sides, employees and employers, are equally at fault.

When accepting a new job, I have always given my current "employers" an opportunity to match/address my concerns before putting in notice and have always told my new opportunity to be prepared to wait 2 weeks for me to start but would start earlier if the situation eluded to that. I've even gave as much as 5 weeks noticed and said I would stay through until after laborday (which is kind of big in the boating world)...

I've only ever had 1 "employer" accept it gracefully and it was probably only because I was moving 1,800mi away.

If most employers kept them on for the 2 weeks of notice vs letting them go on the spot, I suspect things would be different.

DLC

Reaction score
Wife works at a bank...

Hire a new gal that they needed, she works 6 days 3 days one week then 3 days the following week she had a vacation already planned ok no biggie
She gets back from vacation works another day and a half and she has a Dr appointment so she leaves early.....

Can you guess where this is going....

The gal is depressed, has head aches what ever, gets a dr note says she needs 6 months off.... bla bla bla

In the end she got almost a year off after working only 3 weeks....

California be crazy for empowering employees. And they were afraid she was going to sue them. Wife had to deal with it and after several months she said F it let HR deal with it as the gal wasn’t an actual employee ....

Backlash

Reaction score
In some career fields, those issues can be circumnavigated by having a probationary period. People who dont cut it can be relieved of employment for essentially no reason at all during that time period.

redone76

Reaction score
Going through this BS at our shop. Guy was from a temp agency and after a few weeks trying to fit him into the shop it wasn't working out. Sent him back to the temp agency. Well after a month or so we're being sued by this shithead for missed breaks and lunch periods. Said he was forced to work through them all. Total bullshit as he would sit in his car for every break/lunch and the entire shop saw it

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Going through this BS at our shop. Guy was from a temp agency and after a few weeks trying to fit him into the shop it wasn't working out. Sent him back to the temp agency. Well after a month or so we're being sued by this shithead for missed breaks and lunch periods. Said he was forced to work through them all. Total bullshit as he would sit in his car for every break/lunch and the entire shop saw it
Last year we upgraded our payroll and time keeping. Now employees have to punch out for breaks and lunch. Employees were regularly taking 15-20 minute breaks instead of the paid 10's. Now any break over 11 minutes isn't paid for that time, just like lunch. It also creates a nice paper trail to prove breaks were taken.

redone76

Reaction score
Last year we upgraded our payroll and time keeping. Now employees have to punch out for breaks and lunch. Employees were regularly taking 15-20 minute breaks instead of the paid 10's. Now any break over 11 minutes isn't paid for that time, just like lunch. It also creates a nice paper trail to prove breaks were taken.
Funny...we're currently switching up the program to do the same thing. System was fine for 20+ years and this one dude ruined it for everyone

franky

Reaction score
I give them at least 2 weeks pay, whether they deserve it or not, & let them go right away so they don't talk shit with other employees or customers.

Also, you better hand them a check when you do it. That's a California thing. You can't fire anybody on the spot, even if they hit somebody or are snorting coke in front of you, without giving them a check immediately upon leaving. That's why we simply tell them to take a day or two off & that gives us a chance to calculate what we owe them, think of severance pay, etc.

That being said they are necessary if you want to have a business of worth.

This is not entirely true. You just have to pay them up to the time you give them the final check. If you fire them in the morning you can tell them to come back at the end of the day and pick up their check, you just have to pay them for the day. If we didn't know in advance to have the check ready, we would fire then fed-ex check (from back east) to their house paying up to the delivery day.

attitude

Reaction score
That's fucking awesome
The people around him just figured he got up to go to the bathroom until he didn’t come back for a while and they couldn’t find him, they checked the cameras and saw him walk out lol

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
Good people do exist, very few employers know how to retain them when they have them.

Everyone is motivated and incentivized by different things. Believe it or not, money generally ranks around 3rd or 4th on the list of employee needs and basis of contentment.

cofooter

Reaction score
We had an employee at our company randomly get up from his desk walk out of the building and walk down the street, never came back lol.
I had a guy quit Christmas week, he got fed up because we were busy, he said so everyone could hear, fuck you, and fuck Christmas, I quit. He was a professional level guy so he had a lot to lose. He cooled off after a couple of day and had a sob story to tell HR and they let him back.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
As mentioned it goes both ways.

When I decided to start my own business I gave notice to my employer of 10 years. They demanded my resignation be immediate and gave me 15 minutes to get my stuff. I didn’t get paid for the two weeks and they hosed me on my vacation time, I should have used it all before I gave my notice.

Employees are disposable, so are employers. That’s just the way to goes these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

attitude

Reaction score
I had a guy quit Christmas week, he got fed up because we were busy, he said so everyone could hear, fuck you, and fuck Christmas, I quit. He was a professional level guy so he had a lot to lose. He cooled off after a couple of day and had a sob story to tell HR and they let him back.
You would think the immature shit stops after high school, nope... We still have people pissing on the wall and flushing tampons wrapped in balls of paper towels clogging the plumbing:rolleyes:

cofooter

Reaction score
You would think the immature shit stops after high school, nope... We still have people pissing on the wall and flushing tampons wrapped in balls of paper towels clogging the plumbing:rolleyes:
He was a snowflake before snowflakes became the thing...... I think at the time ,HR was scared of him.....

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
The time clock is the only way to protect yourself. If they do not clock in/out you lose..
We have them sign a form when they pick up their checks, form says they had all of their breaks and lunches ect.. No good in court, they can claim they did not get full 10 mins or full 1/2hr for luch and with no way to prove it the employee and his attorney wins.
Also make sure that they start their lunch within the first 5hr of starting their day, not 5hrs and 10mins because that is illegal and they both win again.
Our system is fucked....

Bear Down

Reaction score
The time clock is the only way to protect yourself. If they do not clock in/out you lose..
We have them sign a form when they pick up their checks, form says they had all of their breaks and lunches ect.. No good in court, they can claim they did not get full 10 mins or full 1/2hr for luch and with no way to prove it the employee and his attorney wins.
Also make sure that they start their lunch within the first 5hr of starting their day, not 5hrs and 10mins because that is illegal and they both win again.
Our system is fucked....

Our company is Hyper Sensitive on this, our payroll company has it set up , where if you miss a punch or are a minute late punching out for lunch, you get a notification on your phone and then get written up. with 200+ employees and most Union, I can see why especially reading this thread... I will continue to work for the man..

Good Luck!

Singleton

Reaction score
Last job I had I gave 6 months notice. Company was getting acquired and my position was not going to make it and my severance package was only going to be 3 months. New boss from acquiring company takes over dept, sees I gave 6 month notice and says good job. I was told my position ends next week, but since I gave notice last month and HR accepted it, I got paid for my entire notice period and got the severance package :)

endobear

Reaction score
Dude I've known since 1989 and has worked for me for about 20 years quit on me last week. Only notice I got was a "F-u, F-this F-ing job. I'm done." As he ran to his car before I could come off the roof to see what the hell was going on.
Never picked up his check or contacted me last week. Or turned in his hrs for the 2 days he worked last week...
I suppose I should mail his Sally ass a check tomorrow.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
As a long time employer and next week an employee this thread gives me shivers.

I had a run in with edd about 10 years ago. The 1st day of work the guy shows up almost an hour late. He was the only person on site that had the certs to run the excavator I had rented... So because of him I had 5 guys sitting on thier thumbs for an hour. Needless to say I never let him start. Lucky for me the edd lady was kind and let me off paying him show up...