WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

IBEW...unions in general.

Spectra18

Reaction score
Thinking about being a lineman and later working for Edison. Are these places a “good ole boys club?” How does one get in? There’s varying stories from people. I trust my RDP peeps.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
Location? Call your local hall about apprenticeship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I don't know about electricians but the Carpenters Union used to be a good old boys club now they welcome new members with open arms because we need to continue growing our membership.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I don't know about electricians but the Carpenters Union used to be a good old boys club now they welcome new members with open arms because we need to continue growing our membership.

Local 803 by chance? My brother is a superintendent for Carpenter's union

Spectra18

Reaction score
Location? Call your local hall about apprenticeship

Yea gonna do the 47. Working on my CDL, reviewing old algebra problems, and gonna start reading General Electric info. But seems like it’s more Important to know someone.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Here WE go, ha. They are not good ol boy like they were. There is always a way in. Apprenticeship is the route for the most part. My union is 5 years. School is 2 nights a week or 1 full day a week. This is for 5 years. Each school year you get raise until you become a journeyman. If you have prior experience you can SOME times start at 3rd year pay, but you can expect to still do 5 years of school.
Of course there are unions I would stay away from, Lineman is good work and good pay with a pension at the end. Lots of OT if you want it.
The trick with any union is getting in as young as you can. By the time your 50 your body is ruined for had labor. So your either done or you transitioned to office job with your employer.
Per year of service you get a credit. Those add up to your overall pension. If you leave too young you pay penalties and higher medical if you choose to stay within the unions insurance.
If your hoping for something right now to get fat paychecks that wont happen. Its long term, you need to be in well over 10 years to even consider it.
Im on year 31, you have to bust you ass now to make it. Theres no union protection, theres no good ol boy to cover your ass.

At the end, its all worth it.

BONER

Reaction score
Get in that Union and get your Education while you can. If I had to guess, Union's won't be around much longer...

Spectra18

Reaction score
My co workers son has no real life experience, but he can easily get in she said.

Here WE go, ha. They are not good ol boy like they were. There is always a way in. Apprenticeship is the route for the most part. My union is 5 years. School is 2 nights a week or 1 full day a week. This is for 5 years. Each school year you get raise until you become a journeyman. If you have prior experience you can SOME times start at 3rd year pay, but you can expect to still do 5 years of school.
Of course there are unions I would stay away from, Lineman is good work and good pay with a pension at the end. Lots of OT if you want it.
The trick with any union is getting in as young as you can. By the time your 50 your body is ruined for had labor. So your either done or you transitioned to office job with your employer.
Per year of service you get a credit. Those add up to your overall pension. If you leave too young you pay penalties and higher medical if you choose to stay within the unions insurance.
If your hoping for something right now to get fat paychecks that wont happen. Its long term, you need to be in well over 10 years to even consider it.
Im on year 31, you have to bust you ass now to make it. Theres no union protection, theres no good ol boy to cover your ass.

At the end, its all worth it.

hallett21

Reaction score
Yea gonna do the 47. Working on my CDL, reviewing old algebra problems, and gonna start reading General Electric info. But seems like it’s more Important to know someone.

I went through inside wireman so possibly different.

You’d be surprised how far handing in your application dressed well with a firm handshake goes.

Same for interview. Some guys showed up in t-shirts with skate shoes. Professional attire shows them you’re serious about the job.

If you have time it wouldn’t hurt to take a month or 2 class on algebra. I was 21 when I tested so it was fresh in my head, but I remember guys struggling.

Electricity has a lot of the math that people say “you’ll never use in the real world.”

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
F. the Unions!!!

with that said...
9.5 years Local 220 (Orange County) Roofers Union now is local 36 (L.A.)

Business owner 32 years- Non-union company (scabber)

we paid our employees union scale for 15ish years..then we couldn't keep up with the wage scale... when I sold out.. 90% of our employees had 20years + loyalty.
Treated them like family.

I lost 4 employees to the Union. All four asked me what they should do...

I said... your STUPID if your do not join the Union. I cannot complete with the Union Bennies.

Electrical union is one of the Best.

If I had a do over.. I'd join the Electrical union with my Pops... and be sitting right now "Retired" with a Waterfront Home on Parker Strip. A cold one in my hand, making Waves in my WakeBoat...

Instead of working 44 years in the POS trade... difficult WORK!!

Icky

Reaction score
Get in that Union and get your Education while you can. If I had to guess, Union's won't be around much longer...
Yupp, when they stop building stuff, unions will go away:)

riverroyal

Reaction score
not a real good guesser are you. Construction unions have actually pushed the others out for large cities and large builds. San Francisco for example is near 100% unions on LARGE projects. Im not talking about tract houses or remodels of of old buildings. SD airport expansion will be 100% union built, 3 billion starting next year. Big funding from the airlines, so they must be ok with it right?
New prison in LA, union. ALL kaiser hospital builds, union. Shit I can go on and on.
The real problem with unions right now is the shit quality of workers that are joining! NO kids want to get dirty or put in 8 hard hours.

BONER

Reaction score
not a real good guesser are you. Construction unions have actually pushed the others out for large cities and large builds. San Francisco for example is near 100% unions on LARGE projects. Im not talking about tract houses or remodels of of old buildings. SD airport expansion will be 100% union built, 3 billion starting next year. Big funding from the airlines, so they must be ok with it right?
New prison in LA, union. ALL kaiser hospital builds, union. Shit I can go on and on.
The real problem with unions right now is the shit quality of workers that are joining! NO kids want to get dirty or put in 8 hard hours.

The REAL problem with Unions is they're ran by Democrats. This is why they will fail. We all know how well Dems run a Business. Had it not been for the Obama Admin, they'd already be sunk.

San Fran? Los Angeles? Lol. You literally just provided 2 examples of why I'm right.

riverroyal

Reaction score
still not a good guesser. They are not going anywhere in construction. I live it everyday. Its a safe career path if your willing to work hard. The stigma of lazy union workers will never go away. Im trying to think of a union that has failed and disappeared in the building industry. I got nothing.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I can tell you that I sell to both union and non union. It would be dumb for me to discriminate. But, I will tell you that the union crane service companies are getting bigger and bigger. They are massive compared to the non union guys. Smaller non union companies make really good money and have some very nice homes and toys

BONER

Reaction score
still not a good guesser. They are not going anywhere in construction. I live it everyday. Its a safe career path if your willing to work hard. The stigma of lazy union workers will never go away. Im trying to think of a union that has failed and disappeared in the building industry. I got nothing.

I never said anything about being Lazy, Buddy.

Unions used to protect the Worker. Now Unions and the Officials just protect their Politics and Job Security.

They might be thriving in the more Liberal areas, sure. That's because they're ran and supported by Democrats. Just because the local Union Halls are open, doesn't mean there isn't a huge back log on the books. In alot of areas of the Country, they've priced themselves out of the Market, and are now part of the super low unemployment rate.

I'm not knocking you by any means for being Union. Just saying not much of a Future for them if they keep their current Business Model.

I'm glad it's treated you right because I'd hate to see any hard working American get fucked. :)

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Thinking about being a lineman and later working for Edison. Are these places a “good ole boys club?” How does one get in? There’s varying stories from people. I trust my RDH peeps.

You're asking in the wrong spot, mostly all you're going to get is "unions suck".

My experience has been that IBEW is pretty straight forward, no under the table who you know BS.

You need to start calling the locals and asking their hiring process. Otherwise go to line school somewhere and be ready to move wherever you get hired.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Started my electrical apprenticeship in ‘04, Local 11 IBEW, Inside Wireman. Heard a radio ad and I started applying. I had zero experience nor any family in the industry, but I had a strong desire to learn a trade. I bugged the hall for almost two years finding out when my number would be called for the apprenticeship class. Punks these days won’t do that....they’re too god damn lazy and half would test dirty because they can’t function without pot.

It’s easy to look good amongst most applicants these days. Like mentioned above, dress for success for the interview. Even though it’s construction, show them that you’re professional. Look them in the eye and give a firm handshake. They want to hear that you will be there for the duration of the apprenticeship, on time all the time, serious about your studies and “repaying” them by putting in many more years of service as a journeyman. Remember, the apprenticeship is essentially free for you.

After I turned out I was fortunate enough to land a city gig which is still IBEW, Local 18. Now I’m an instrumentation & controls tech. They are one of the strongest unions out there. You won’t be disappointed if you join the team.

On a side note, I met a guy at the river when I was in the application process. He was an electrician out of the orange county local and after chatting it up he was nice enough to write me a recommendation letter. That was the only assist I got.

Good luck on your venture!

riverroyal

Reaction score
I never said anything about being Lazy, Buddy.

Unions used to protect the Worker. Now Unions and the Officials just protect their Politics and Job Security.

They might be thriving in the more Liberal areas, sure. That's because they're ran and supported by Democrats. Just because the local Union Halls are open, doesn't mean there isn't a huge back log on the books. In alot of areas of the Country, they've priced themselves out of the Market, and are now part of the super low unemployment rate.

I'm not knocking you by any means for being Union. Just saying not much of a Future for them if they keep their current Business Model.

I'm glad it's treated you right because I'd hate to see any hard working American get fucked. :)
I do agree there is a TON of politics in the construction unions. I know they support and lobby plenty of 'influential' people. I just dont think politics will bring them down. A Massive long term economic down turn can hurt, but we have already seen that many time.
Cheers

Joe mama

Reaction score
Electrical Union is good. The only thing that has put a bad taste in my mouth is the changing retirement requirements. Started at needing 37500hrs then 42500hrs then added 25 years then 44500 and 25 years and age 55. Now 44500, 25 years and age 56. Since I haven't worked for Union for a few years now and I'm 56 with well over 44500hrs they want me to go back and put in 750 hrs to collect or wait till I'm 65. Bullshit if you ask me but is what it is. May be off a bit on on the numbers but pretty sure it's correct.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Overall great training,good times,good money and still enjoy doing it.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Every friend I have that is IBEW is doing very well. Most started fresh out of a local college or early on after graduating high school.
They vote dem but love their guns and country. We all share a bond of friendship, if any of us need help, we are there for each other no questions and often provide extra manpower without asking.
It takes a special kind of person to be in the Million volt club. These guys go to any national emergency that require help with getting power back up whether it be hurricanes, tornadoes,flooding or ice storms.
If that's something that appeals to you Spectra, I wouldn't think twice.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Ok union work is great pay but you get no vacations you pay with your fund journeymen pay went up about 10 bucks more there is a lot work write now pension is based on the hours you have not the years still hold two cards still laying out jobs for some jobs 1986 , 1996 tough years in the trades family members now pick there jobs which trade carpenter unions no problem ironworkers no problem pm me l will talk to my cousin they pretty much run the a lot of jobs and yes all hospitals are union been that way for years

McKay

Reaction score
I went non-union in commercial electrical. Started at 17 in the field. was 20 started estimating and project management. Partnered with another pm and started our own company when I was 23. Now 40 been part time for the last 18 months and selling shares to employees. Never could have done that here in a union.

What I have seen here is you are average or below average unions are great. If you are above average it will hurt you. Just what I have seen here in Utah.

Flame away.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
whatever you do... dont be a Lazt ASS...

early 80's...

my Pops IBEW Electrical foreman (worked for 3 companies in 30 years...

he believed he was 5'7" (maybe 5' 5" with his boots..LOL) about buck Twenty five... only went to Hall 3x..
he was a KEEPER!! always a Foreman..

anywho.. we were working on the same project (happened twice in 9.5 year span) Roofs start-finish for 1-2 weeks, while electrical last 6-12 months on the same project. I'm Hot Roofing on this project..

we set up a lunch date, 11.30am, I come down looking for him.... he's trying to navigate a large transformer (or something) into position. 300-400# unit. busting his ass... while two apprentices are watching the Oldman .... I SAID WTF!!! to those two apprentices.. pushed those two yahoos out of the way and helped the oldman get the transformer into place...
took us a whole 3 minutes...

walking out to lunch I said WTF, he said they were battling that equipment for 30 minutes with them and those two guys didn't know the difference between left or right...

if it was me... those two apprentices would of had their paychecks waiting for them by noon...

one more Electrician story.... my Uncle was an IBEW member same local as my oldman (his bro-inlaw).... lifer Hall man... never good enough to make the cut at completion of the project..

thanks for allowing me to have a moment..

Lov Ya Dad

RIP

TCHB

Reaction score
I dealt with IBEW and UWUA and found out they both are good groups of people. SCE has some of the best journeyman electricians and line crews.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
If you’re going in entry level join the union. You’ll make an honest wage and they’ll give you a ton of educational opportunities to perfect your craft on their dime. You’ll also get great health benefits in the process.

Make journeyman in the union and make your own decisions from there.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Here in Chicago they have a show sundays. Like an infomercial about All the building trades. ALL! theyre all hiring appretices with paid training including IBEW local 597.
They cant find anybody. Actually slowing down construction because lack of tradesmen. Serious labor shortage everywhere.
Jobfairs every weekend.....

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Nailed it. I went to a OC/LA County Building Trades meeting at our hall a couple weeks ago. There is over 50 PLA projects signed up and many more still in the early stages.

I have over 37 years in the union. 35 with the same company. Been in the office the last 18. My deal with the company that I work for is that I stay in the union and not have to join the company plan. This month is probably the best month we have ever had in sales. I know its my best month ever. :)

rrrr

Reaction score
You're asking in the wrong spot, mostly all you're going to get is "unions suck".

My experience has been that IBEW is pretty straight forward, no under the table who you know BS.

You need to start calling the locals and asking their hiring process. Otherwise go to line school somewhere and be ready to move wherever you get hired.

I had many years of experience hiring union subs, and the IBEW shops were the best of all the trades, especially on big jobs with multi-megawatt and medium voltage services. Good management and hard workers that knew their shit.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Ok union work is great pay but you get no vacations you pay with your fund journeymen pay went up about 10 bucks more there is a lot work write now pension is based on the hours you have not the years still hold two cards still laying out jobs for some jobs 1986 , 1996 tough years in the trades family members now pick there jobs which trade carpenter unions no problem ironworkers no problem pm me l will talk to my cousin they pretty much run the a lot of jobs and yes all hospitals are union been that way for years
???....Seems like you've been zapped a few times before...lol...punctuation son. :D

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Electrical union is one the weakest unions in the building trade actually. Lowest market share. In my 15 years of commercial jobsites I have only ever had 2 jobs with union electricians, its always non union Helix or Berg electric.

Obviously a city job with union electricans is a whole different gig.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Electrical union is one the weakest unions in the building trade actually. Lowest market share. In my 15 years of commercial jobsites I have only ever had 2 jobs with union electricians, its always non union Helix or Berg electric.

Obviously a city job with union electricans is a whole different gig.
You must work on a lot of prevailing wage projects. Berg is a very large company.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Call the local union and get an interview. IBEW is in my opinion the best, i am biased tho being in now for 24 years. Unions aren't going anywhere. The ability to man a massive job with skilled labor in a short period is just one of the reasons for this, I can put a call in tomorrow to the hall for a hundred JW's and have an instant advantage. And this is my jobsite right now
stadium.jpg

Joker

Reaction score
As a non union subcontractor, I’ll take Union work over non union without a doubt. They’re slow as fuck but it’s done right the first time and they’re safe at doing it. Some of the stuff i see on non union jobs is downright scary.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
As a non union subcontractor, I’ll take Union work over non union without a doubt. They’re slow as fuck but it’s done right the first time and they’re safe at doing it. Some of the stuff i see on non union jobs is downright scary.

Carpenters are anything but slow in the union. We make alot of money but we have to produce numbers otherwise no one will pay top dollar!

81Sprint

Reaction score
Carpenters are anything but slow in the union. We make alot of money but we have to produce numbers otherwise no one will pay top dollar!

I can second that, we have very strict union contracts that our guys abide to. 10 minute breaks in your work area, 30 minute lunches. If you don't produce, you don't last. I have a GC to answer to and they are not forgiving. "big boy construction" is not the place for the faint hearted. That is why the pay and benefits are what they are, our guys not roping houses with mariachi music blaring.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Call the local union and get an interview. IBEW is in my opinion the best, i am biased tho being in now for 24 years. Unions aren't going anywhere. The ability to man a massive job with skilled labor in a short period is just one of the reasons for this, I can put a call in tomorrow to the hall for a hundred JW's and have an instant advantage. And this is my jobsite right now
View attachment 792580

Hey now, I was just there. Had to move 2 of my cranes out a few weeks back.

Spectra18

Reaction score
Well my wife seeing me hit the books, studying , doing my research, and not having a good day starts balling.....
“I DONT WANT YOU TO BE GONE ALL THE TIME, OCCASIONAL OKAY BUT NOT FOR WEEKS OR MONTHS”

Any info on being “away”? I live in Riverside, hoping to work in vicinity of Barstow-Palm springs-Murrieta.....

riverroyal

Reaction score
Away? Like traveling for work. You don’t have too. It’s a choice. But....sometimes bills need to get paid.
In my 30 years I’ve been in hotels about 10. By choice because I wanted the extra pay.