WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Re-set: The labor Day Sunday Paper.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
77f41fd9-41ae-4dc0-a04f-43f434666790-jpeg.31396

Labor Day this Monday used to bring a 4” thick Sunday edition of the Los Angeles Times newspaper.
Normally the Times was 3” thick each Sunday. An astonishing circulation of one million copies.

My dad was working on a pacific island and the locals didn’t believe that story so I sent him a copy to win the bet.

Now, if you can even find the Sunday Times it might be 20% of the old days with half the past circulation and falling.
The Houston Chronicle still holding in there. It was the nationwide go-to place for job hunters.

I miss busting it open, spreading it out and spend the morning reading it.
Sports, entertainment, sale ads, local columnist tips, tales, and takes, 3 day old news, color expanded comics, job offers galore, left wing opinion section with support for politicians that promise something for nothing and deliver nothing for something.

Pretty much history now.
Did anyone else read the Sunday Paper?

Last edited:

Bear Down

Reaction score
Used to enjoy the paper often, when I was a street sales, $.25 papers daily for news and sport (SGV Tribune) and coffee in the early A.M, loved Sunday paper from the LA Times, loved the Calendar Sections and Sports, best $.50/.75 you could spend. Actually used to go to Barnes and Noble and get the Chicago Tribune Sunday edition on Monday for local recap for the Bears back in the day before internet on phones... Now all the newspapers boxes sit empty... Sad to see, sad to know my kids won't know that part of print history...

Reactions: TPC

Taboma

Reaction score
77f41fd9-41ae-4dc0-a04f-43f434666790-jpeg.31396

Labor Day this Monday used to bring a 4” thick Sunday edition of the Los Angeles Times newspaper.
Normally the Times was 3” thick each Sunday. An astonishing circulation of one million copies.

My dad was working on a pacific island and the locals didn’t believe that story so I sent him a copy to win the bet.

Now, if you can even find the Sunday Times it might be 20% of the old days with low circulation and falling.
The Houston Chronicle was the same. The nationwide go-to place for job hunters.

I miss busting it open, spreading it out and spend the morning reading it.
Sports, entertainment, sale ads, local columnist tips, tales, and takes, 3 day old news, color expanded comics, jobs galore, left wing opinion section with support for politicians that promise something for nothing and deliver nothing for something.

Pretty much history now.
Did anyone nyone enjoy the Sunday Paper?

Oh yeah, growing up in the 50's getting the Sunday paper was huge at our house. Same ritual almost every Sunday. Bright and early I'd run outside, grab the paper and head for my parents bedroom. Then I'd climb into bed with dad while mom was getting up and heading for the kitchen. You know, her office, where most women in the 50's spent their days. :rolleyes:

The ONLY part of the newspaper I was interested in were the BOATS for sale Classifieds :D
I start reading off all the boats for sale and the ones of particular interest to me and we'd continue with an in-depth discussion of the pros and cons of each.
Of course by now I'm amped to max and ready to head out and spend all day looking at several I'd picked out. Of course we already owned one or two we were fully engaged working on, but in my young dumb mind, one could NEVER own to many boats. :D

By now dad was fully engaged in screwing with my Boat Rush High :p, prick teaser would always lead me down the same emotional path. I was such a sucker, lol :rolleyes:

Yes, every Sunday when we weren't up at the lake was like Groundhog SunDay --- the paper, the boat classifieds, my excitement off the charts, him egging me on, then him pragmatically pulling the rug right out reminding me we already had a boat or two and "OH WE (Meaning me) needed to get that bottom sanded" :mad::mad::mad:

Fuck Me, there I was, every Sunday like clock work getting sucker punched --- and I just kept coming back expecting a different outcome --- Sheesh :(:(:(

Thanks for the memory :D:D:D

DWC

Reaction score
Couldn’t wait to get the ads in the Sunday paper. New cars, deals on electronics and specials on oil/filters. Couldn’t wait to get the new car/boat/rv traders. Recycler and a pen/highlighter was a good morning. It’s crazy how fast it went away.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I was a paperboy for over 3 years so I've delivered thousands of papers..

I realized early on around 93 that the Internet was going to be the death of newspapers...

Craigslist and eBay single handedly killed the classifieds. Online job boards put the final nail in the coffin. Putting an ad in a paper was stupid expensive..

What I miss the most was during my early adult career travels as a field service engineer going out of town or out of state. My first stops would always be a 7-11 or someplace to buy a boat trader mag, truck trader, all those type for sale books...!!

Sherpa

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Gave up on the Los Angeles Times years ago. They were more interested in publishing their very liberal political news than they were the news. But, they were about the only one who's polls predicted a Trump victory in 2016.
They grudgingly admitted Reagan would win the Presidential election as well.
When the OC Register became available North of the OC we subscribed to it too.

DLC

Reaction score
My wife and I would get the Sunday paper, sometimes we would drive down to the beach and sit in the car with a breakfast jack and read windows down cool salty air blowing in thru the windows, it or other times we would go to our regular pancake hut and spend hours sitting there drinking ice tea and eating.
Those were good times!

The other thing was the traders car, boat and RV and truck traders.
I would ride my BMX bike down to 7-11 and stand there for hours looking thru all the trader looking for the perfect buy!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
My buddies dad delivered the register as a side job for years and years.
He put over a half million miles on a 78ish Toyota truck doing it.

He could drink his coffee, smoke his cigar, drive the truck, shift gears and sling the paper, all at the same time.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Used to love rifling through the Sunday paper, but after I left So Cal in 1991 there were no big papers available locally so it all went away.

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
My dad still reads the paper every morning and afternoon. The Roswell paper comes at 5am, the Artesia paper (our 12,000 population small town) comes at 3pm.

brgrcru

Reaction score
45 years ago :( it was all about the Sports section and classifieds .

sirbob

Reaction score
I’ve traveled around the country most of my career - one of the things I used to do is grab the local paper and go straight to the classifieds.
I used to look at real estate and automotive sections.

I haven’t even seen a local paper in a hotel years!

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Love the Sunday paper. The ads, the classifieds, comics, stock listings (all of them!). It was great. We got the paper growing up. Couldn't wait to pick it off the driveway. It wasn't fun delivering a Sunday paper for the 3 years I was a paperboy. I subscribe to the Fresno Bee now, and there are few Sunday ads now. No Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, Sears ad sucks, damn depressing. And they are bumping the monthly rate to $17.xx from $10.xx soon. Pay more for less.

It's a shame print is nearly dead. I prefer it to online news. I travel a lot and enjoy picking up the paper in the hotel lobby. Used to get it at your hotel room door; that ended years ago. Marriott hotels basically quit providing newspapers all together. Hyatt and Hilton still provides them in the lobby - WSJ and USA Today. Usually still a small stack of papers even late in the evening. Nobody reads print.

Who didn't get excited about these in the Sunday paper autos for sale?: "Chevy Camaro, 1968. 302/4-spd. Runs good. New tires. $4500" or "Chevelle 1970. 454/TH400. New Battery. No rust. Come get it. $2500".

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sunday comics...4 times as many and in color!

Was never much of the "Trader" type, but in high school, every Thursday, after workout but before class, I'd pick up the Recycler....bought my first go fast stuff and dune buggy parts!

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
There is always "another side" to the story... My ex use to "Stuff" the dozens of ads into the Sunday LA times.. Due to heavy "Holiday" loads the whole family and kids friends use to go help her.. There were some ads everyday, but those "Holiday" Sundays were real killers... I remember a San Fernando Valley "free" Green Sheet that was home delivered during the week, Wednesdays I think, and that was the "Vehicle" listings bible.. Even had a few columns of parts, and vehicles for parts only, no titles!!! I bought my 63 Impala SS 425HP 409 off that paper. Drove from Reseda to Simi bought it, and drove it home... Smoked a little, but that is one of the cars I really wish I still had!!!!
Ray

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
I used to deliver the herald examiner on my beach cruiser fun days
My brother and I shared a Herald route in Covina He would head one direction on his bike and I'd go the other on my unicycle with the bags over my shoulders.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Yup, growing up we got the Progress Bulletin, now the Daily Bulletin, 7 days a week but we weren’t allowed to touch it till Dad read it firsto_O.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
4” of propaganda you don’t say. I can’t understand why newspapers are failing. Hmmm

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I remember how hard it was to find the paper (LA Times) for black Friday. Always sold out or people would take multiples out of the machines. Used to have to drive all over town early Thanksgiving morning to find the damn thing.

Subscribed to the Sunday Times for years, it was always a highlight to grab the paper from the driveway and read it before breakfast.

What about the recycler??? That was the paper to get pre craigslist