WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

MacGuyvering open the hatch with dead batts

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
So much for an early launch. Went to open the hatch and nothing. Damn it. Couldn’t pull the hatch ram pin either. Essex misdrilled the access hole so the release T-pin is hitting edge of hole and won’t allow removal. Doh

Plan B

Ran down to Ace to get this 12v cigarette adapter and hooked it up to the charger.

F07553E8-A439-44C8-B47F-B0A1EFB28FF1.jpeg
819B93E7-D00B-4F2D-9684-2B5428334B58.jpeg

Success !!

E0F12C13-4937-4AF8-A144-2B060E6DB5B5.jpeg

Now where is a good place to get marine battery’s in Havasu?

robert1050

Reaction score
So much for an early launch. Went to open the hatch and nothing. Damn it. Couldn’t pull the hatch ram pin either. Essex misdrilled the access hole so the release T-pin is hitting edge of hole and won’t allow removal. Doh

Plan B

Ran down to Ace to get this 12v cigarette adapter and hooked it up to the charger.

View attachment 792993 View attachment 792994

Success !!

View attachment 792995

WalMart is your friend. Or, if they are out of stock, All-American Battery

Taboma

Reaction score

Plan B

Success !!

View attachment 792995

Cool, glad that worked well, I've got the same problem, but the pressure on the pin, no way to remove it without a BFH.

I've used these guys for my battery needs for many years ---- and for the number of batteries I've bought, I should have just bought the business :eek:
Haul the boat over, they'll do the swap if you like. Had them replace both jet ski batts which require standing on your head and working one handed -- while my wife and I went out for lunch :)

All American Batt.JPG

guest hs

Reaction score
Cool, glad that worked well, I've got the same problem, but the pressure on the pin, no way to remove it without a BFH.

I've used these guys for my battery needs for many years ---- and for the number of batteries I've bought, I should have just bought the business :eek:
Haul the boat over, they'll do the swap if you like. Had them replace both jet ski batts which require standing on your head and working one handed -- while my wife and I went out for lunch :)

View attachment 793009
Just don’t let them install them for you. Not a good idea trust me!

Taboma

Reaction score
Just don’t let them install them for you. Not a good idea trust me!

Did a great job for free replacing both jet ski batts and that's the first time anybody has done it other than me.
AGMs aren't exactly highly technical and no danger of an acid spill.

I take it you had a customer or two who didn't fare so well ? Bummer and good to know.
Of course experience has taught me, I don't care who works on my boat, or car or anything, I double check everything before heading out.

Had a smog test at my buddy's shop on my Camaro recently. While there I had them do a "No Brainer" oil change. Got home and discovered the young oil/lube guy was so nice he put an extra quart of oil in it for me --- FAWK :( So back I went :mad:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
When you close the hatch , don’t close it super tight , leave just a little play in it so there’s no pressure on pin . Interstate batts of Havasu has a lot of batteries

CobraDave

Reaction score
When you close the hatch , don’t close it super tight , leave just a little play in it so there’s no pressure on pin . Interstate batts of Havasu has a lot of batteries

I just had two interstate batteries go bad which were two years old and on an on board charger the whole time. I went into the Interstate Center and all Marine batteries only have a one year warranty and this store said you could only return it to their store for the warranty. I ended up buying some at Costco for cheaper and am using a car battery for the starter. I’m losing faith in interstate when other companies will warranty batteries for 4 plus years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rvrrun

Reaction score
All American is great, I bought the Sea Doo batteries there. There is an Interstate store on Acoma, not that they are better or worse than what AA has but Interstates were in the boat when I bought and I like the green.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I just had two interstate batteries go bad which were two years old and on an on board charger the whole time. I went into the Interstate Center and all Marine batteries only have a one year warranty and this store said you could only return it to their store for the warranty. I ended up buying some at Costco for cheaper and am using a car battery for the starter. I’m losing faith in interstate when other companies will warranty batteries for 4 plus years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sucks. I wonder if something changed. Ours were in the boat when we bought it in 15 and one died in January so I replaced all three.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

Plan B

Success !!

View attachment 792995

Noice! I had a Sleekcraft a while back with no access holes and the hatch ram itself went bad. I had to cut a hole almost blindly near the ram's base so I could unbolt it only going off of where i thought it was based off of a pin hole view through one of the ventilation plates on the back of the boat.

I'd definitely make sure that your pins are able to be pulled while you have your hatch working! Nice mcguyver. I actually have one I use at work when this happens

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I wired one of these in my boat
Sea Dog Polarized Connector 2-Wire Plug and Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y89TDM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JHBADbWM49JR9
Ran the end under the seat do I could reach it.

Slick idea, i did something similar on my offroad car, but be sure to put some sort of boot on it, or simply get an extra and cut the wires off completely then heat shrink the end, then put on it as a cap. They will corrode fairly quickly specially near water. Just cheap copper wire inside.

Taboma

Reaction score
Slick idea, i did something similar on my offroad car, but be sure to put some sort of boot on it, or simply get an extra and cut the wires off completely then heat shrink the end, then put on it as a cap. They will corrode fairly quickly specially near water. Just cheap copper wire inside.

I've got those on my jet skis, had them on my older Ranger and Rzr, but my Wildcat XX SxS actually came from the factory with one for connecting a charger/tender.
The only thing I don't have one on is my boat, which is where I need one to get the hatch open --- go figure, lol :rolleyes: Although my Cole has exposed rear hatch hinges with pins. So if I pull those pins, it should release the tension on the ram pin. But like Deja_Vu, I'll try the 12V outlet option first.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Thanks

Plan B

Success !!

View attachment 792995

Thanks for sharing, gonna purchase a plug and keep it on the boat JIC

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Got the batteries out early this morning. It was time...

E32A85D2-0D20-4D77-BCD8-7B7C7646E376.jpeg

E1367F50-DEB1-46A7-867E-29A664BCCA3D.jpeg

Battery’s were 4 1/2 years old so I got my money out of them.

guest hs

Reaction score
Did a great job for free replacing both jet ski batts and that's the first time anybody has done it other than me.

I take it you had a customer or two who didn't fare so well ? Bummer and good to know.
Of course experience has taught me, I don't care who works on my boat, or car or anything, I double check everything before heading out.

Had a smog test at my buddy's shop on my Camaro recently. While there I had them do a "No Brainer" oil change. Got home and discovered the young oil/lube guy was so nice he put an extra quart of oil in it for me --- FAWK :( So back I went :mad:
I took my boat there I have duel battery’s one on each side. I backed the boat in and two guys got right on it one on each side. When I got to the lake no stereo. Found a ground wire not hooked up on stbd side and found the wires to my amp on the port side going to the ground post not the positive post and smoked my amp. The one time I let someone else touch my boat this happens. I was in a hurry and one ramp with no tools when the battery’s went dead

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
^^^That sucks.
I took pictures before I disconnected everything so I can be sure I reconnect it correctly.

Decided to give All American a try and they recommended the Deka Marine Deep Cycle. Not as high CCA or MCA but supposed to have longer accessory power. At least they are made in USA.

9FDBDF05-E7AE-4074-8E61-1F3251654C98.jpeg
D69CFBA0-27DE-4B5B-93F4-0D96E18F5286.png

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I need to elongate the existing hole. The pin is accessible but the handle is hanging up

I’m not familiar with this, as my hatch is not electric...

Would it be easier to reshape the handle ? Bend in a vice ? Shave the handle.... cut off a bit on the ends :eek:

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with this, as my hatch is not electric...

Would it be easier to reshape the handle ? Bend in a vice ? Shave the handle.... cut off a bit on the ends :eek:

Yeah cut the T-pin into an L-pin :)

Dbroncos

Reaction score
i am on my second pair of Decka batteries from all american. Great batteries and always easy in and out.

Your ad here

Reaction score

There's no telling what service you'll get these days. I have my stories but I know half the guys here would loose their shit if someone slid a battery across the gel of the boat.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Good choice on the Deka batteries. They are the best lead acid batteries out there, still made in the US.

Taboma

Reaction score
There's no telling what service you'll get these days. I have my stories but I know half the guys here would loose their shit if someone slid a battery across the gel of the boat.

Yeah no shit, between you and Namba860's experience, I won't recommend any boat installs.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
My dad has a bypass valve off the pump you can reach from the access hole in the back seat. If the battery dies you open the bypass and manually lift hatch. Don’t know if that’s an option for everyone though.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My dad has a bypass valve off the pump you can reach from the access hole in the back seat. If the battery dies you open the bypass and manually lift hatch. Don’t know if that’s an option for everyone though.
My scissor jack type had that because they're hydraulic.
The ram they're talking about here is electric.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I got nine years out my first set of Centennials, but only two out of the second set, now using Deka, guess Centennial changed.:rolleyes:

Not sure I'm still understanding the pin problem, couldn't the pin be pulled and dropped in the boat and be retrieved when the hatch was lifted?

Boat211

Reaction score
On one of my boats I installed a set of battery terminals under the back seat. I think I got them from Summit or Jegs maybe. It worked out pretty well.

Just did a quick search on Summit and it looks like Eddie Marine has the answer.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edm-600-40bk/

Last edited:

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
My Laveycrafts came prewired with receptacle under the seat next to battery switch and had a 12'-15' plugin adapter cable with terminals on opposite end just incase your battery dies and you need to raise hatch up.
CIMG2623.jpg
CIMG2703.jpg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Pulling the hinge pins at rear of deck might be the fastest........ but heavy.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Pulling the hinge pins at rear of deck might be the fastest........ but heavy.

And what do you do once you lift it? You’d need a buddy to change the battery or jump it while you held up the hatch.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
And what do you do once you lift it? You’d need a buddy to change the battery or jump it while you held up the hatch.
No once you pop the rear pins it releases the pressure on the ram, so you can easily remove the pin. Then once pin is removed replace the rear hinge pins and lift her up, stick a “whatever” in there and boom your back in the game.

I have an onboard charger that has an external plug access, but i still always keep my hatch about 1/4-1/3 the way up while stored. Feel it gives me the extra insurance of oops dead battery, as well never really seems to have that fuel vapor under hatch that way.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No once you pop the rear pins it releases the pressure on the ram, so you can easily remove the pin. Then once pin is removed replace the rear hinge pins and lift her up, stick a “whatever” in there and boom your back in the game.

I have an onboard charger that has an external plug access, but i still always keep my hatch about 1/4-1/3 the way up while stored. Feel it gives me the extra insurance of oops dead battery, as well never really seems to have that fuel vapor under hatch that way.

Agreed, you just need a whatever to shove in there.

Maybe this just turned into a GRADS thread

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Well, my batteries have their own hatch door with a handle..........so there:p:p
:D

rush1

Reaction score
I better check my boat to see if I can pull the pin now that you say they dont line up , I just changed my batteries out this weekend at the dock in the marina I bought the batteries you replaced from Horizon last year and keep them on a battery tender but they were dead on Saturday morning , Boat fired right up on Friday ! crazy i didn't leave anything turned on either at least they lifted my hatch cover.