WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A truck question for the RDP inmates

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I have a buddy that retired to a NorCal lake community.
He has a nice Ford Ranger but plans to buy a fishing boat in the off season and is considering truck options.

He is on a somewhat limited income.
Well off enough he could, if he wanted to, swing a new Ford or Chevy half ton.
This would be enough to get his boat to the lake, etc.
With rebates and what not he’s looking at mid to high $30k range to about 40 for a 4x4.

Now.
On the other hand, his dad passed away a few years ago.
His mom has his dads 96? I think?
Dodge Ram 2500, 2wd with a gas V-10.
I believe it has some kind of “heavy” package on it, from the factory.
It’s a sweet, single cab truck.
And, it’s for sale. Obviously for a lot less than a brand new half ton.

His dad took exceptional, dare I say, anal care, of this truck. Always garaged.
It has about 90k miles on it.
His mom drove it once every other week, because that’s how old school rolls.

What would you do?

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I have a buddy that retired to a NorCal lake community.
He has a nice Ford Ranger but plans to buy a fishing boat in the off season and is considering truck options.

He is on a somewhat limited income.
Well off enough he could, if he wanted to, swing a new Ford or Chevy half ton.
This would be enough to get his boat to the lake, etc.
With rebates and what not he’s looking at mid to high $30k range to about 40 for a 4x4.

Now.
On the other hand, his dad passed away a few years ago.
His mom has his dads 96? I think?
Dodge Ram 2500, 2wd with a gas V-10.
I believe it has some kind of “heavy” package on it, from the factory.
It’s a sweet, single cab truck.
And, it’s for sale. Obviously for a lot less than a brand new half ton.

His dad took exceptional, dare I say, anal care, of this truck. Always garaged.
It has about 90k miles on it.
His mom drove it once every other week, because that’s how old school rolls.

What would you do?

No doubt I'd be rockin Pops Truck.....

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
I’d do the old dodge if I was retired on limited income. Just so I didn’t have a payment and keep the extra cash just Incase it needs anything to get fixed

NicPaus

Reaction score
Text Jason at Selman and tell him I need the best deal on 1500 4x4 see what he can do. That v10 will get terrible mileage in comparison. I have a 1500 4x4 he got me a killer price on. It gets great gas mileage and rides a lot better than my 2500. That's what I would do.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Is four-wheel-drive or want or a need? If the 2 Wheel Dr. dodge will do the job why spend the money on a new truck with higher insurance and registration.

robert1050

Reaction score
That's a no brainer. Have him ask mom how much she'd like to have for dad's truck. When our dad passed a number of years ago, my older brother bought his Dodge Caravan. It had about 135k on it, none of the other beneficiaries wanted it. It served my brother's purposes 'till it finally expired just short of 400k miles.

Win win for all parties.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Text Jason at Selman and tell him I need the best deal on 1500 4x4 see what he can do. That v10 will get terrible mileage in comparison. I have a 1500 4x4 he got me a killer price on. It gets great gas mileage and rides a lot better than my 2500. That's what I would do.
Yep.
The fuel mileage is horrid on a v10, but the ramp is like 4 miles from his house:)

I can see benefits on both sides.
I told him I’d keep the ranger which is half way decent on fuel for trips and run his dads truck to the lake and the hardware store where an 8 foot bed might be more handy.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
That's a no brainer. Have him ask mom how much she'd like to have for dad's truck. When our dad passed a number of years ago, my older brother bought his Dodge Caravan. It had about 135k on it, none of the other beneficiaries wanted it. It served my brother's purposes 'till it finally expired just short of 400k miles.

Win win for all parties.
I think his mom want like 10 for the Ram.
Kind of high, but it’s absolutely well maintained and sound.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Yep.
The fuel mileage is horrid on a v10, but the ramp is like 4 miles from his house:)

I told him I’d keep the ranger which is half way decent on fuel for trips and run his dads truck to the lake and the hardware store where an 8 foot bed might be more handy.
If he does not put many miles on a truck that's the best route. My launch ramp is 270 miles and it was 117 out there today so new truck AC is a must.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
One of my big points.
Less money spent on a new truck is more money to spend on the new boat:)

NicPaus

Reaction score
30k buys a lot of gas.
Yep. But I owned a 90 Dodge 2500 4x4 reg cab long bed. No way would I be driving that to and from the river. I remember when it was barely a hundred out going to Naci and the ac could not hang. In 117 it would be blowing hot air. With a launch ramp so close would not make a difference and I would run the dodge. It had the v8 and one hell of a low gear in 4low excellent launch vehicle.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Is four-wheel-drive or want or a need? If the 2 Wheel Dr. dodge will do the job why spend the money on a new truck with higher insurance and registration.
You will only want it when you need it!!!

I've never had a 2 wheel drive pick-up! :)

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I think his mom want like 10 for the Ram.
Kind of high, but it’s absolutely well maintained and sound.

No disrespect, but mom needs to lower the price. $10k is a lot for that truck being a single cab too. Maybe $6 or less. $5k would be a decent deal.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/bloomington-2002-dodge-ram-2500-v10-80/6954488485.html

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/temecula-1998-dodge-ram-2500-slt-4x-v10/6947263954.html

https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/paso-robles-v10-dodge-ram-2500-slt-club/6966721519.html

Yellowboat

Reaction score
You will only want it when you need it!!!

I've never had a 2 wheel drive pick-up! :)
It's a want for 99.99999% of the people out there.

Unless you are driving it off payment or have to travel in adverse conditions regularly. All 4wd is doing is costing you money. Out side of the up front cost, there is more mainatance and in my exp it costs you 1-3 mpg vs the same truck with out

The only time a boater would need 4wd is on a very steep and slippery ramp. In 30+ years in boating I have needed 4wd once on a ramp. That was after it had been undermined by current and broke underneath my rear wheels( like the last 10' of ramp fell 2 feet in a solid slab) and fell into my frame. Even 4wd did not get me out. I have to take the trailer off the ball and use 4 guys to lift up the rear end( which was mostly underwater) while the front axle was locked to get it back up on the ramp.

To be fair, if there was any one else on the ramp we would have been fine. Just tow strap and out We would have came. We were mid week camping at a lake in the middle of no where.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I’d take the V10 all day. In one year a new half ton will depreciate damn near as much as the whole V10 is worth. That close to the ramp, who cares about mpg.

FWIW, the V10 I had (95 2500 single cab 4wd) got right around 12mpg on the hwy.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Why are these the only two options? Unless his mom decides to "give" him the truck, either literally or selling at a very low price why not look at other used trucks? There are a million more suitable trucks for sale that he could buy for half or less of the cost of a new one.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Why not buy a used truck at around 20k

I let go a pristine 2013 ram 1500 4x4 with 70k miles for $18,000 earlier this year.

I’m sure there are other suckers out there giving shit away lol

evantwheeler

Reaction score
For a 4 mile trip to the ramp, why won’t the ranger work? You said lake community, so I’m assuming the target boat is something like a bass boat, or something under 20’? Can’t see why a ranger wouldn’t drag a boat and trailer 4 miles that weighed less than 5000 lbs.....

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
It’s your son, give it to him..... :)
my guess is Son is better off financially than his mom...
it depends on who is more financial stable...
who actually knows the complete situation... maybe a loser sibling in the equation ...
me "I want Pops "RIDE"....
ya a better truck is out there....
but only "ONE POPS TRUCK"....

F!!!!! I have a briefcase that is 40 years old.... I use it hosting all my Golf Tournaments..... it's not worth a Penny!!!

my middle Son told me, Dad I want your Briefcase when your done using it..

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
my guess is Son is better off financially than his mom...
it depends on who is more financial stable...
who actually knows the complete situation... maybe a loser sibling in the equation ...
me "I want Pops "RIDE"....
ya a better truck is out there....
but only "ONE POPS TRUCK"....

F!!!!! I have a briefcase that is 40 years old.... I use it hosting all my Golf Tournaments..... it's not worth a Penny!!!

my middle Son told me, Dad I want your Briefcase when your done using it..
Exactly. Was just saying it goes both ways. Hence the smiley.

NicPaus

Reaction score
If the launch ramp is like ours at Echo 4x4 is a must!

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm sure pops truck would do nicely...………….. I like having four wheel drive, it snows here and I drive in the mountains. Only reason Id pass!

If he buys new, now is a good time. The 2020 trucks start hitting the showroom floors now (Sept), so you can get great deals on left over 2019's.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Yep.

My truck gets 9mpg around town. I wouldn’t give a fuck if it got 5....still cheaper than a payment on a new truck.

Edit:

Wait, this is RDP, a 3/4 ton won’t do it. He needs a new diesel F450 with leather...nothing else is suitable.

River Runnin

Reaction score
It's a want for 99.99999% of the people out there.

Unless you are driving it off payment or have to travel in adverse conditions regularly. All 4wd is doing is costing you money. Out side of the up front cost, there is more mainatance and in my exp it costs you 1-3 mpg vs the same truck with out

The only time a boater would need 4wd is on a very steep and slippery ramp. In 30+ years in boating I have needed 4wd once on a ramp. That was after it had been undermined by current and broke underneath my rear wheels( like the last 10' of ramp fell 2 feet in a solid slab) and fell into my frame. Even 4wd did not get me out. I have to take the trailer off the ball and use 4 guys to lift up the rear end( which was mostly underwater) while the front axle was locked to get it back up on the ramp.

To be fair, if there was any one else on the ramp we would have been fine. Just tow strap and out We would have came. We were mid week camping at a lake in the middle of no where.

Lol!! It's funny how California is-- most of the people out there!! :confused:... Or just use a pick-up to pull a boat back and forth!
Where I grew up It's a need for 99.99999% of the people out there, and the boat ramp for having one wouldn't even be a passing thought! :) ....Although I have launched with snow on the ground many times! :) I'll never be without my 4X4, and if I get a wild hair!... I'd like to build a tricked 75 K30 crew cab!... 4X of course! :D